• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Heir to the Monado. Shulk General Discussion/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
I made Monado Cyclone a move that causes tripping in a move list I made about 150 or so pages ago. The reasoning behind that is that is causes topple in game, and the closest thing Smash has to topple is trip. These leakers are stealing my ideas!
Or maybe you're the new messiah Spazzy : O

Oh please Sakurai, just me Shulk this month, I'll give you money (of course I was anyway to buy the game, but not the point)

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
If Shulk is playable I'll buy 20+ copies. no not really

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
I'm still hoping for the talent gauge, although I wouldn't really have anything to complain about if that was his moveset.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
That leaked move list doesn't have his side special. Better be purge.

Burruni

Smash Hero
I have to say, for Shulk, one of the hardest things for me when trying to dare craft a moveset (Like I have done for Marshal, Sceptile, Bandanna Dee, and with a bit of joking to them, Jack Frost and Laharl).... is trying to devise what would really make up his Recovery move without being another Dolphin Slash. What have you all thought up on this manner?

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
I have to say, for Shulk, one of the hardest things for me when trying to dare craft a moveset (Like I have done for Marshal, Sceptile, Bandanna Dee, and with a bit of joking to them, Jack Frost and Laharl).... is trying to devise what would really make up his Recovery move without being another Dolphin Slash. What have you all thought up on this manner?
If the Talent Guage isn't implemented, and his Specials are Monado arts, Cyclone and Speed are good options. And if this new leak is true, it'll be Cyclone.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Monado Cyclone seems like a popular choices, although I have also seen Air Slash and Monado Purge be suggested. Even Monado Speed could be used as a dash style recovery, although that would be a really strange choice.

Edit: Also what @ MooseSmuggler MooseSmuggler said.

Last edited:

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Like I have said sometime before: Monado speed. It could function like Fox's illusion but with control over what direction you fly in.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
A Quick Explanation on Shulk's possible recoveries:

Monado Cyclone - Summons a column of ether from the ground. When used on the ground would most likely do damage on both sides of Shulk and might also cause opponents to trip. In the air, the ether effect will lift Shulk upwards (would be fun if it also spiked.)

Air Slash - Jump in the air, slash the sword. Inflicts slow in the game, but would likely just be a visually different Dolphin Slash style of recovery.

Monado Purge - Also a jumping slash, but could probably be angled. It would also include a wave like projectile after the initial attack that would likely do good shield damage and disrupt specials.

Monado Speed - Like @ Solfiner Solfiner said, it's basically a controllable form of Fox's illusion.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Hmm. Seems possible. It's not really too farfetched.
I don't trust any rumored leak that gives away the leakers position in game development. Who would do that?

Nothing in the leak sounds outlandish though, and I would personally be happy with those additions.

D

Deleted member

I don't trust any leaks nowadays, but I would be alright with this one. They made Shulk pretty damn cool in it!

Monado Speed - Like @ Solfiner Solfiner said, it's basically a controllable form of Fox's illusion.
To be honest, I view Monado Speed to be like Lucario's ExtremeSpeed.

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
I don't trust any rumored leak that gives away the leakers position in game development. Who would do that?

Nothing in the leak sounds outlandish though, and I would personally be happy with those additions.
Then again, there are probably a lot of testers. What I find suspicious is that the thread has been taken down. Which usually indicates that it's fake.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
I like the move set in the most recent leak. Its similar to mine so I don't have too much to say. The satisfaction of dealing tons of damage with backslash makes its way to Smash.

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
that leak is gone on that link sakurai seen it called the government and shut down the site now he's gonna go and break their legs for letting a leak out

Last edited:

Tailsluigi

Smash Rookie
that leak is gone on that link sakurai seen it called the government and shut down the site now he's gonna go and break their legs for letting a leak out
He just trying to make cure that he wants to surprised and troll everyone himself without any leakers.

Wait, Why are we talking about this, Should we be focusing on Shulk in this thread?

Andyjoe522

Smash Ace
NNID
Andyjoe522
So, I decided to listen to some of the music for Disaster: Day of Crisis to see if any of it would work well for a Xenoblade stage, and so far I think the game's main theme would be a good choice. It seems like a good fit for Smash, and it doesn't seem like it would be too out of place on a Xenoblade stage.

Sheddy

Smash Ace
NNID
bwolfy1995
3DS FC
4484-7885-0842
Screen Shot 2014-08-02 at 11.24.38 AM.png

I think this can sum up how us bronados are feeling with sakurai teasing shulk and not announcing him yet

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I fell so far behind in this thread for once I just skipped to the newest page. Hope I didn't miss too much. Regardless of which characters are shown at this point forward, I think they will all be unlockable.

Also, I saw Fiora in a leak for the first time as a playable character. Looks like Xenoblade is getting the Fire Emblem treatment after all. :troll:
(late again as usual, even though I did see that leak in the Colony 9 convo)
Fiora joining alongside Shulk = ALL OF MY MONEY.

also, I don't remember that same leak saying anything about Shulk (or Fiora)'s movesets, or was this yet another leak? I'm so behind OTL

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
I found this on Gamefaqs and brought it up on the Leaks thread, and so far, people seem to agree its pretty reasonable, and it mentions Shulk, so I'll put it here aswell:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/69772248
I like that this leak makes sense. Shulk being a character that focuses more on messing people up and then going for the Backslash sounds perfect and Ridley being the opposite of Mac also makes perfect sense. Even if this is fake, I have to give credit to the guy for making such a well-constructed leak. It sounds fairly plausible.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I like that this leak makes sense. Shulk being a character that focuses more on messing people up and then going for the Backslash sounds perfect and Ridley being the opposite of Mac also makes perfect sense. Even if this is fake, I have to give credit to the guy for making such a well-constructed leak. It sounds fairly plausible.
Well, the thread was deleted :c...did anyone manage to save what it said?

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
Well, the thread was deleted :c...did anyone manage to save what it said?
Continuity officer a few pages back in the post that I quoted had quoted what I assume to be the leak. I think it was only last page actually, so you can find it there. :)

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Continuity officer a few pages back in the post that I quoted had quoted what I assume to be the leak. I think it was only last page actually, so you can find it there. :)
Found it! Hmm, the moveset proposed for Shulk seems very similar to what I had in mind for him (Monado Shield/Armor counter, Monado Cyclone as a possible recovery that also makes enemies trip)

Didn't see anything about Fiora though, hope she's one of the things the leaker "doesn't remember"

SkittleE

Smash Journeyman
I found this on Gamefaqs and brought it up on the Leaks thread, and so far, people seem to agree its pretty reasonable, and it mentions Shulk, so I'll put it here aswell:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/69772248
This leak...actually sounds believable. Interesting. Of course, I never fully trust leaks. Something tells me that it wouldn't be hard at all for someone who hasn't played the game to do some very basic research on Shulk's arts and look at a couple fan-made movesets to come up with that. I do have to give them props for research if it is fake, however.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
This is interesting... heck it even sounds believable! And best of all, Shulk's playstyle sounds exactly how I would've expected Sakurai to handle it. I'm content :3

"his neutral special makes his sword really big" - This sounds like Monado Buster but there isn't a whole lot of information on it... Is there no attack? Does the sword just get bigger? Who knows...

"his down special is basically counter, but it stuns to opponent temporarily" - Well I imagine this is how his visions are going to be implemented. I like this, since it's the obvious choice, but still unique. A short stun opens up a lot and by the sound of it he'll be able to utilise it well.

"His recovery isn't fantastic, but it makes people trip if you hit them from the ground, it also has really good range from the ground." - Monado Cyclone? The trip concept is interesting, since y'know... 'cyclone'. And as we expected, the recovery is mediocre.

"Also, his side smash does a HUGE amount of damage when you hit an opponent from behind. Seriously though, if you counter someone, you can hit them from behind and it HURTS." - No prizes for guessing what move this is. Sounds perfect.

And why do I believe all of this? Well obviously he might be lying, but he said he hasn't played Xenoblade yet. The moves he explains are identifiable to someone who has played it, but not to someone who hasn't.

Also, this: "the ability to talk with Hades and Varidi about characters you're facing."
I want to believe. No, really. This is so much better than "Monado Modes" and actually seems like the moveset Sakurai would go for. (Based on what we've seen with Robin, Little Mac, Rosalina, etc.)

Also Ridley. But yeah. Who fits the above criteria as well. Apparently. Sakurai PLS.

I'd be very interested to play this Shulk if he was put in the game like that guy says.

Dude, neutral B being Monado Buster would be so awesome. Just imagine Kirby using that move with Shulk's british accent!

:059:
I don't have enough YES! to give this statement.

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
Part of me can't help but feel that the leaker did do some research on his own. The part about the counter stunning instead of hitting is certainly unique but it's really easy to just look up Shulk's arts and, if he was looking at this thread, we've already given countless movesets. I guess I'm really doubting it BECAUSE it makes so much sense. This guy could easily do research or have already played Xenoblade and lied about not playing it. What I'm basically trying to say is that this guy was kind of like this:

Last edited:

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045

SnapDrake_Games

Smash Apprentice
I want to believe in the leak it sound so real, I don't know maybe the Ridley part really confused me, I though I already saw him but anything can happen.
All the Ridley guys did some sort of analysis with shadows and movements that determined that the Ridley we saw on pyrosphere in the direct is either a terrible boss or not a boss at all. I don't have all the specifics, but based on size and shadow comparisons, the Ridley in pyrosphere is slightly shorter that rosalina, and his movement in the couple seconds we saw doesn't really resemble a boss pattern. Or so I've heard.

So... yeah. Shulk thread.

We really need something new to talk about.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Hm, as far as that leak goes, if the mention of the Event Match - Reveal Trailer turns out to be true, that would basically be the same idea I had awhile ago. In that case, Shulk could easily be discovered post-release rather than pre-release.

Whit

Smash Journeyman
I'll bet that we get Shulk within 2 weeks. Not much more time before the Japanese release so gotta get those release trailers out quick! :)

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
I hope we get Shulk soon I think I will explode if I wait any longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom