• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Having Trouble with Project M :(

Th3Roost3r

Smash Rookie
Hi Smashers,

Brand new to the scene my brother has been down recently and has not stopped talking about smash or project M, so I thought well i better check it out. I picked up a cheap Wii, which he hacked for me and put SSBB.iso on a thumb stick and got all the Project M files necessary to run.

Here's the problem, through much trials and sadness we cannot get the Project M program to overtake SSBB once its been started. To run it we have used USB loader GX with a 2.0 USB files (supposedly) stored where they are supposed to be which is on a SD card, with the rest of the home brew programs and other.

I currently have a PAL associated Wii, we have tried NTSC-U, NTSC-E and Pal (Pal version is only 4.37 GB so I'm not sure if that affects the outcome) versions of SSBB but to no avail. Any information that anyone has would be a great help just want to start playing and having some fun. :)

Thanks in advance smashers,
Yours Sincerely,
Th3Roost3r

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
You need:
an NTSC-U (America) ISO of Brawl
the latest version of USB Loader GX (currently r1239): https://gbatemp.net/threads/usb-loader-gx.149922/
the latest Project M files on your SD card

Load up USB Loader GX, and select Brawl. Go to Loader Settings, and make sure that Ocarina is ON, and hooktype is set to AXNextFrame. Save your settings, and load the game. If you get the PM strap screen, and the menu looks like this, it's working:

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Or you could buy a disc. Less of a hassle,
This point is highly disputable. Yes, it's less hassle to set up the disc initially (just dumping files on an SD card, vs. modding a Wii, then ripping and building an ISO), but the extra time needed to set up an ISO and USB loader is easily gained back in time not spent loading up Brawl, then going to the Stage Builder, and waiting for it to reboot into PM (at least 3 times quicker). There's also the fact that for some people, their Wii can't read discs anymore (but is otherwise 100% fine), and USB loading is the only option for them other than blowing ~€100 on a new/second-hand Wii.

also note that the OP is using PAL, and there isn't a PAL release yet, so ISO/USB loading is the only option for him anyway at present.

Last edited:

invisibleman

Smash Apprentice
This point is highly disputable. Yes, it's less hassle to set up the disc initially (just dumping files on an SD card, vs. modding a Wii, then ripping and building an ISO), but the extra time needed to set up an ISO and USB loader is easily gained back in time not spent loading up Brawl, then going to the Stage Builder, and waiting for it to reboot into PM (at least 3 times quicker). There's also the fact that for some people, their Wii can't read discs anymore (but is otherwise 100% fine), and USB loading is the only option for them other than blowing ~€100 on a new/second-hand Wii.

also note that the OP is using PAL, and there isn't a PAL release yet, so ISO/USB loading is the only option for him anyway at present.
Hmmmm... Thank you for telling me this. I thought the only reason people used an iso was because they didnt want to buy it. Thank you for pointing this out.

Top Bottom