• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Having trouble learning to not roll much

Gabersid

Smash Rookie
I have been playing smash for a while, but I have got into the habit of rolling too much. Any tips to help stop that?

ThunderCat

Smash Cadet
So, I read from somewhere here on the boards:

"Don't think roll less, think wavedash more."

I would say get really really comfortable with wavedashing and then start to incorporate that as your main movement option.

XLAX_OVERDOSAGE

Smash Apprentice
Movement options are kind of character dependant, but learning to dashdance/wavedash are great ways to start practicing movement. You can try practicing on lv 9 CPUs and learn to hover around their predictable attacks with those other movement options.

SSG SAX GAMER

Smash Apprentice
In the 20xx hack pack there's an option to make it so that whenever you roll, you will fall asleep. Turn that on for a while and you'll stop

Haku_

Smash Rookie
Learning wavedash out of shield can be a good alternative to always rolling out of shield pressure.

Seeing as you are a falcon main your out of shield options are all pretty bad, I had the same habit of rolling to get out of pressure.
Try throwing in some instant Uairs out of shield or retreating nairs (and the previously mentioned wavedash out of shield.)

1000g2g3g4g800999

Smash Journeyman
You'll probably find yourself feeling like you should roll less if you find yourself needing to shield less, or able to retaliate more effectively. Recognize how quickly the opponent can get to you, and how much lag they're in after any action so you feel the need to do so less. If the rolls you keep are the well timed ones that get you position, you're golden.

Gabersid

Smash Rookie
Learning wavedash out of shield can be a good alternative to always rolling out of shield pressure.

Seeing as you are a falcon main your out of shield options are all pretty bad, I had the same habit of rolling to get out of pressure.
Try throwing in some instant Uairs out of shield or retreating nairs (and the previously mentioned wavedash out of shield.)
Thank you for your feedback. I will try that out. My main problem is getting caught in multi shines by falcos. I just can't find a way to get away. :/

XLAX_OVERDOSAGE

Smash Apprentice
SDI is your best friend. Getting caught in falco's shines(or any multi hit move for that matter), quarter circle DI is great. All you have to do is spin the analog stick back and forth within the top left or top right corner, kind of like stroking the analog stick back and forth within the top right or left curve(giggity).

FoxE

Smash Cadet
It's not that hard really, just try to practice OOS options instead and ONLY use those instead of rolling for a bit. You'll get into the habit of doing something else instead of rolling.

Gabersid

Smash Rookie
It's not that hard really, just try to practice OOS options instead and ONLY use those instead of rolling for a bit. You'll get into the habit of doing something else instead of rolling.
Alright, thank you

Modesty

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
ALIC#155
I had the same problem as I got my competitive start in Brawl, when I switched to Melee I rolled way to much. As others have said the best answer is practicing wave dash especially OOS.

Top Bottom