• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Has this been done before? Potential "study"?

HD_Vishion

Smash Cadet
NNID
16LetterUsername
So, I just got a Bachelors degree in psychology about a year ago, and i had the chance to do and present my own research. Now, using the same skills, I was wondering if anyone had ever done any unofficial research on Smash Bros. before?

What I wanna do is record the time of day, character used, and skill of each "For Glory" match over a period of "however many" matches, just to what character is used most, the time of day they are used, and the skill of the person using them.

I know over at eventhubs.com there is a bunch of data like that, but the data is flawed in that it is only gathered by people who know about and actually go to the site...

...unless there is some other way that you can look at the raw data gathered by Nintendo. But i know how stingy Nintendo is about this ****, which is why I want to do it. There is this HUUUUGE lack of quantifiable data, which leads to the fan-base having to do things like hack into the game files, and create "fanmade" (in a sense) patch notes.

I just need to know if something like this has already been done before, so i dont have to waste my time lol. Im relatively new to the competitive smash community, and Ive noticed you guys, generally speaking, are anal and hardcore as ****! hahaha.

Thanks!

Last edited:

ZeusGodOfThunder

Smash Rookie
This is a great idea, but as a Junior in College who just got an interview with a pretty big named documentary film maker, it's gonna take a lot of work. I would advise going the Nintendo way and see if you can maybe find somebody to talk to or present the idea to, and see what they think. That's the safest, smartest yet probably most difficult route. Or there is the hacking route of course, you know the difficulties and the risks that lie there. Anyway it's a great idea, i'd love to find out for myself or help you, let me know what your plans are with the idea.

HD_Vishion

Smash Cadet
NNID
16LetterUsername
This is a great idea, but as a Junior in College who just got an interview with a pretty big named documentary film maker, it's gonna take a lot of work. I would advise going the Nintendo way and see if you can maybe find somebody to talk to or present the idea to, and see what they think. That's the safest, smartest yet probably most difficult route. Or there is the hacking route of course, you know the difficulties and the risks that lie there. Anyway it's a great idea, i'd love to find out for myself or help you, let me know what your plans are with the idea.
Oooooh, interesting idea!

Can you even IMAGINE if Nintendo hired somebody to be like, a public representative for their own demographical meta-statistics? I doubt they would ever do that, but it would be nice to have SOMETHING written out in numbers.

...especially a tier list. I was gonna make another post regarding the way in which tiers are created, suggesting that there should be some sort of numerical criteria involved in determining a legitimate list.

Sodo

Smash Journeyman
It's a good idea in practice, but I'd honestly be more interested in data compiled for major tournaments. For Glory is interesting but if we could see the usage and win rates of the top level players I think that would be cool information to look at. Obviously we can see results on websites like Smashwiki or something but I want aggregated data and advanced statistics like edgeguard efficiency (successful edgeguards divided by edgeuard opportunities). But this is an even more massive undertaking than the one OP suggested.

HD_Vishion

Smash Cadet
NNID
16LetterUsername
It's a good idea in practice, but I'd honestly be more interested in data compiled for major tournaments. For Glory is interesting but if we could see the usage and win rates of the top level players I think that would be cool information to look at. Obviously we can see results on websites like Smashwiki or something but I want aggregated data and advanced statistics like edgeguard efficiency (successful edgeguards divided by edgeuard opportunities). But this is an even more massive undertaking than the one OP suggested.
right exactly. I woulld hypothesize tht the chaaracter choice for tournments would be evenly dispersed. I mean, if youre serious enough bout the game to enter tournaments, i would assume you would be skilled enough to become good with any character you want., kinda how like im really good with charizard.

Where s online, you will find a bunch of people who use characters with a lower skill cap...

...that makes me think...I think that "tier lists" should include some kind of stat or something for "learning curve"...if thts possible. Because, obviously its harder to learn how to become good with some characters than others....like, i STILL kinda suck with mewtwo, but was good with mario since day one.

Interesting **** to think about.

Sodo

Smash Journeyman
right exactly. I woulld hypothesize tht the chaaracter choice for tournments would be evenly dispersed. I mean, if youre serious enough bout the game to enter tournaments, i would assume you would be skilled enough to become good with any character you want., kinda how like im really good with charizard.

Where s online, you will find a bunch of people who use characters with a lower skill cap...

...that makes me think...I think that "tier lists" should include some kind of stat or something for "learning curve"...if thts possible. Because, obviously its harder to learn how to become good with some characters than others....like, i STILL kinda suck with mewtwo, but was good with mario since day one.

Interesting **** to think about.
Very interesting. I think that there's a piece of untapped potential here for the Smash community. If you're seriously interested in compiling data, then hit me up. I'm looking for a project to encompass my time, and I think that this is definitely worth the effort.

ZeusGodOfThunder

Smash Rookie
Oooooh, interesting idea!

Can you even IMAGINE if Nintendo hired somebody to be like, a public representative for their own demographical meta-statistics? I doubt they would ever do that, but it would be nice to have SOMETHING written out in numbers.

...especially a tier list. I was gonna make another post regarding the way in which tiers are created, suggesting that there should be some sort of numerical criteria involved in determining a legitimate list.
mhm the tier list is a very interesting idea. It probably wouldn't be too hard, first starting off with the basic stats like speed, knockback, etc. then delving deeper into it. Yeah thats a dope idea.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Here in the fighting game community we have what is known as a Tier List. This list ranks characters from best to worst based on how that character performs in a tournament setting.

http://www.ssbwiki.com/Tier_list

Right now Diddy Kong players seem to be dominating tournaments, but as the metagame evolves and Sakurai continues to nerf Diddy, this may not be the case in the future.
http://www.goldper10.com/article/886-the-state-of-sm4sh-every-king-deserves-a-queen.html

Recently the Mii Fighter character (who is no usable in online For Glory matches) has been wrecking people at tourneys. Right now its still too early to make a tier list, as not enough information has been gathered, and the game is still being patched every few months.

There's a secret locale on these boards known as the back room, where the most dedicated players discuss this kind of thing, theres a back room for melee and brawl as well. If you can prove to them that you are dedicated enough and can provide valuable input they might let ya in.

If ya already knew all of this then I must ask, why are ya trying to make a tier list based on laggy, casual for glory matches?

Last edited:

HD_Vishion

Smash Cadet
NNID
16LetterUsername
Here in the fighting game community we have what is known as a Tier List. This list ranks characters from best to worst based on how that character performs in a tournament setting.

http://www.ssbwiki.com/Tier_list

Right now Diddy Kong players seem to be dominating tournaments, but as the metagame evolves and Sakurai continues to nerf Diddy, this may not be the case in the future.
http://www.goldper10.com/article/886-the-state-of-sm4sh-every-king-deserves-a-queen.html

Recently the Mii Fighter character (who is no usable in online For Glory matches) has been wrecking people at tourneys. Right now its still too early to make a tier list, as not enough information has been gathered, and the game is still being patched every few months.

There's a secret locale on these boards known as the back room, where the most dedicated players discuss this kind of thing, theres a back room for melee and brawl as well. If you can prove to them that you are dedicated enough and can provide valuable input they might let ya in.

If ya already knew all of this then I must ask, why are ya trying to make a tier list based on laggy, casual for glory matches?
Well, i was just suggesting ideas. I originally just wanted to talk about the frequency of character selection online, because "For Glory" mode seems to cover the entire, what would be "sample" population, of the smash community, being that it is relatively unbiased. I just wanted to know if there was a correlation between character selection, and time of day.

But then as I kept typing, i started thinking more about the larger picture, and how such research could apply to the more serious areas of the community.

I had the opportunity to do and present my own research on how personality manifests through online social network profiles, for my "senior thesis" in college. And since then, Ive never viewed social aspects of the internet the same lol, and that goes for online smash too. Questions regarding the behavior of individuals as seen in "For Glory", and why certain players behave in certain ways...playstyles.

**** like that fascinates me! However, it ****ing sucks realizing how much potential online smash has that nintendo didnt incorporate into the game! Such as a "Tournament System", or as opposed to completely random matchups, match fights up based on their winning-trends for their victory percentages from their previous 10 matces.

The reason that I only talked about "For Glory" mode is because i am a total ****ing n00b competitively. Like that crazy dude Etika on youtube, i just got into competitive smash this generation, having just discovered the community last October or so.

...so..."For Glory" is the most competitive experience that Ive got!!! lol...That doesnt make me a TOTAL skrubl0rd tho. I've studied the pros, and researched guides, and become pretty good actually. Its really difficult to find legitimate players online, but they're definitely there.

Every once in a while I'll come across someone whose name I will have to search on google, just to see if theyve been in any tournaments or whatever, and lo and behold, I have indeed come across people like that, and have held my own against them. Its nice to come across people like that. We will, of course, have a nice little convo in the name boxes.

The last good matchup the other dude said to me "URGood" which kinda made me feel good, because this dude was REALLY good haha, but i ended up beating him. I think my "Luck" online comes from "maining" (i dont like the term "main") unconventional characters like Charizard, Metaknight, and/or Dr.Mario. Hardly anyone plays as Charizard, let alone skillfully, so nobody seems to know what to do when fighting him!

My Wii U name is 16LetterUsername if anyone wants to add me. I would be DELIGHTED to play against someone who could give me an idea of my skill level, and maybe analyze my playstyle for me!!!!!!!

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
My Wii U name is 16LetterUsername if anyone wants to add me. I would be DELIGHTED to play against someone who could give me an idea of my skill level, and maybe analyze my playstyle for me!!!!!!!
Bro ya gotta check out anthersladder
http://www.smashladder.com/

Once you create an account ya can chat it up with other wannabe competitive users like me. Make sure that when you set up your profile you include your nintendo network ID/ username so people can add ya.

Last edited:
Top Bottom