• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Has online been confirmed for either version?

Would not having online make you not want one of the two versions?

• No online? No 3DS version for me!

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • No online? No Wii U version for me!

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • No online on either? No smash for me, period!

Votes: 7 50.0%

• Total voters

smashbrolink

Smash Journeyman
I know that we're all assuming that they'll get it as a given thanks to Brawl and thanks to the fact that the Wii U has better online, but if Earthbound coming state-side and Duke Nukem Forever actually being ALIVE, let alone RELEASED, taught me anything, it's to remember to never assume that something can or cannot happen.

Therefore, so as to avoid any unpleasant surprises in the future that would occur from assuming the obvious[and to give us more time to get the heck over it, between now and release of the games, so we can enjoy the games even if it really ISN'T a thing], I feel we should ALL be asking the following question, here, no matter how much of a given we take it to be:

Will both games have online play, or only one, or [Lord God forbid] neither of them?

Is there any news on this front?
If not, any way of getting it?

And more to the point, would the lack of online drastically affect your choice to purchase, especially considering the lack-luster connection ability of Brawl?

Let us know your thoughts people.

Edit: I would change the poll to include a couple more options, but sadly it seems like I can't do that, so if not having online would NOT put you off of owning either version of Smash, then please put that down as your vote choice at some point in your response here instead of voting.
Apologies in advance.^^;;

grizby2

Smash Lord
I played brawl and, melee too of course, offline for the most part, so I don't think not having an online option will stop me from getting SSB4 honestly.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
I would have voted if there was a 'I don't care either way!" option

I am a melee player, after all. I don't need online, but good online sure would be appreciated!

Chauzu

Smash Ace
I would of course get it in any case but the dedication I put into the game would massively decrease without online or, more realistically, if the online was below-par.

Conis

Smash Rookie
I don't believe there was ever an explicit "there will be online again" statement, but Sakurai did say some stuff about how he was looking back at Brawl's online, analyzing the problems with it, and thinking about how it could be improved upon, so I'd say that effectively confirms that it will be coming back, hopefully in a much improved form.

Really, there's no excuse not to have online as an option in multiplayer games these days (unfortunately, Nintendo continues to resist putting in a lot of games, most notably the NSMB series), so it shouldn't even have been a question as to whether it was coming back or not. Sakurai at least seems a bit more committed than the developers of other Nintendo games to implementing online play, so there's at least a chance that it could be good in this game.

Regarding the poll question, without a doubt, lack of online play would remove any incentive for me to get the 3DS version. Since there's basically no local multiplayer on handhelds (due to the fact that you need multiple people with the console and a copy of the game with you just to play), without online, there would effectively be no multiplayer on the 3DS version, which is the main draw of Smash games. Without any multiplayer in a multiplayer-focused game, what would be the point of buying it?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Online hasn't been mentioned yet.

Give it time.

smashbrolink

Smash Journeyman
I don't believe there was ever an explicit "there will be online again" statement, but Sakurai did say some stuff about how he was looking back at Brawl's online, analyzing the problems with it, and thinking about how it could be improved upon, so I'd say that effectively confirms that it will be coming back, hopefully in a much improved form.

Really, there's no excuse not to have online as an option in multiplayer games these days (unfortunately, Nintendo continues to resist putting in a lot of games, most notably the NSMB series), so it shouldn't even have been a question as to whether it was coming back or not. Sakurai at least seems a bit more committed than the developers of other Nintendo games to implementing online play, so there's at least a chance that it could be good in this game.

Regarding the poll question, without a doubt, lack of online play would remove any incentive for me to get the 3DS version. Since there's basically no local multiplayer on handhelds (due to the fact that you need multiple people with the console and a copy of the game with you just to play), without online, there would effectively be no multiplayer on the 3DS version, which is the main draw of Smash games. Without any multiplayer in a multiplayer-focused game, what would be the point of buying it?
Thanks for that. I'm just the type that likes to cover any bases that present themselves, and since I didn't really see any mention of online aside from mentioning how he learned from Brawl's net play and wanting to have done it differently, I sort of figured that there still wasn't that guarantee.....

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Well, I honestly don't care about online. And as Krynxe said, there should have been an "I don't care either way" option.

netcvb

Smash Rookie
NNID
netcvb
Pretty sure it was stated that the 3DS and the Wii-U would be able to play online against each other?
This post on Nintendo Life said "Joystiq is reporting that Masahiro Sakurai has confirmed that direct cross-platform play between the Wii U and 3DS titles won't be possible due to each version having 'completely different stages'". So no you won't be able to play cross platform. You will only be able to play online with the version you are playing.

Aenglaan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aenglaan
3DS FC
0559-8074-9911
Nothing has been stated regarding online, but I think it's safe to say that the Wii U version will at least have online.

Mithost

Smash Ace
Locked in a safe floating in the Atlantic Ocean.
This seems indicative:

Taken from here.

Of course it might mean nothing, but if it gets implemented, I'd be surprised if smash didn't use it.

That actually looks really cool. I've seen Wi-fi tourneys for Project M fail simply because people didn't know what the bracket was or what friend codes to add. If we sync everything through miiverse (assuming the feature is good), we can have actual functioning brackets.

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
That actually looks really cool. I've seen Wi-fi tourneys for Project M fail simply because people didn't know what the bracket was or what friend codes to add. If we sync everything through miiverse (assuming the feature is good), we can have actual functioning brackets.
I would love if it's going to work this way. Please make it so Sakurai!

Maricalistaro

Smash Journeyman
I don't really intend to play the Wii U version online really because I much more enjoy playing the game locally and I have people available to me to do it frequently but the 3ds version needs online for me. I don't have any friends with a 3ds.

Top Bottom