• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Has it been accepted that the Gamecube controller is the best way to play?

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
I've heard you can't short hop with the wiimote...
so I'm guess gamecube controller is going to be the best way to play.
am i right

Robble

Smash Cadet
Some people are going to prefer the classic controller so they don't have to fully press L or R in to block. Some people are going to prefer the GC controller because that's what they're used to and don't want to change. Some people are actually going to prefer the wiimote + nunchuck, I'd be willing to bet, but I've only heard rumors of such a crazy bunch.

All I know for a fact is that people despise using just the wiimote, pretty universally.

KaiserX

Smash Journeyman
This might just be insanity on my part, but I'm pretty sure the best way to play is whatever one is comfortable with.

Agent 1337

Smash Apprentice
Well, it certainly seems to be the most popular way (among many people, including me) and might very well become the standard, but I wouldn't say it's the best yet. It all really depends on the person playing and what's most comfortable to them.

igloo9

Smash Apprentice
I'm definitely using wiimote on its side. Seems most fun.

abectevolution

Smash Cadet
I don't want to press the L/R buttons in all the way till they click on the GC controller. I'll try the classic first.

Kirblar

Smash Rookie
It's gonna be personal preference for the classic controller or the gamecube.

I started playing on the N64 version, and so I'll probably be using the CC to play.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
You guys know that wireless controllers probably won't be allowed in tournaments due to interference issues. That leaves...the game cube controller. That's the one that will end up as the tournament standard (unless interference stopped existing all of a sudden). If you don't plan on going to tournaments then of course this doesn't apply to you.

teh_nuke

Smash Cadet
You guys know that wireless controllers probably won't be allowed in tournaments due to interference issues. That leaves...the game cube controller. That's the one that will end up as the tournament standard (unless interference stopped existing all of a sudden). If you don't plan on going to tournaments then of course this doesn't apply to you.

The Wii uses the sync function to sync the controllers to the system specifically, Nintendo has had demo units with hundreds of Wiis next to each other, and no interference. This will be a non-issue.

I myself, will probably be using the Gamecube controller, but I will try them all out to see which one I like most.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
The Wii uses the sync function to sync the controllers to the system specifically, Nintendo has had demo units with hundreds of Wiis next to each other, and no interference. This will be a non-issue.

I myself, will probably be using the Gamecube controller, but I will try them all out to see which one I like most.
So there's no chance of interference? In that case, use whatever you want.

WoodyDave

Smash Apprentice
I'm gonna go with gamecube controller. Even with the L/R problem, it still feels better in my hand.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
No he is wrong, there would be a syncing problem ALL THE TIME since people would have to continuously unsync and resync controllers it would NOT WORK.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
No he is wrong, there would be a syncing problem ALL THE TIME since people would have to continuously unsync and resync controllers it would NOT WORK.
Well there you go. BYOC prohibits wireless controllers for tournaments, because of the problem of syncing issues through the tournament.

the reQuest

Smash Rookie
I've played the game, and I was having a really hard time rolling and shielding at the exact moments that I wanted to, but is it true that you can't short hop with the Classic controller? because I never tried to use it while i played because I figured the GC controller was the best way to go.

If you can't SH with the classic controller, then someone please post up how you remove the springs from the L/R buttons in a GC controller. I need that speed rolling.

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
i'll either use the gcn controller or the wiimote+nunchuk.... though that all depends...

i'm a bit worried about the whole shielding thing, though. i may even do that whole "modding" thing where i remove the spring.

Sculelos

Smash Journeyman
I'll probably use the gamecube or nunchuck, I'm not sure how important C-Sticking is in Brawl and thats going to be the deciding factor for me.

I don't think the L/R triggers will be an issue on the gamecube controller as I play n64 smash fine on a emulator with a gamecube controller and it works fine.

Or I might just decide to use the classic controller... will definitely look into my options and pick whatever is best for me.

Rogueleader89

Smash Rookie
I will likely end up using the GC controller myself (most familiar), however I do want to try the wii remote + nunchuck as well as it could be a great controller after some customization.

I'm sure most people will end up using the GC controller, but I could see some customizing special controls on both the GC and other controllers, it all depends on what the most useful control setup ends up being (which we likely won't know until 7-10 months after the game is out as people slowly try different custom controls).

Zevox

Smash Lord
Not at all - I'm probably going to use the Wiimote + Nunchuk myself. I find that a more comfortable control scheme than past controllers in general, and since it has enough buttons to accommodate all the necessary features, I see no reason to use the Gamecube controllers. I'll likely do some button customization, of course, but I imagine most people will, even with the 'Cube controllers.

Zevox

usea

Smash Ace
Even if it's proven to be too much of a hassle to sync wii remotes every time a station gets new players, you could always keep 2 remotes synched per station, and let players just plug in their classic controllers to the bottom. That seems like a very reasonable method that doesn't exclude the classic controller.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
^^Who will provide the Wiimotes? Will the players have to leave their Wiimotes in the hands of random people they don't know. It's enough to ask them to leave systems, but a small controller that can easily fall during exchanges?

RedMage8BT

Smash Lord
I had to adjust myself from an N64 controller to a GameCube controller. I'm sure I can handle having to press the L and R buttons all the way, especially if Brawl has a different feel than Melee.

MrLegend

Smash Apprentice
^^Who will provide the Wiimotes? Will the players have to leave their Wiimotes in the hands of random people they don't know. It's enough to ask them to leave systems, but a small controller that can easily fall during exchanges?
I would do it. Then again, I'm pretty trusting.

pwnzorz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ABlackMage
3DS FC
0103-9129-9741
yes, the cubetroller is the best.
GAME SET

Sogeking

Smash Cadet
I'm using the classic controller because it's a new game
using the gamecube controller will only remind you of memories past

nice1

Smash Lord
i'm gonna try both the gc controller and the classic controller and see which one i like

Vigilant Gambit

Smash Journeyman
I use the Classic Controller exclusively. Most friends just use their old Gamecube controllers, but another friend prefers the wii remote + nunchuk.

Mr_Smiley

Smash Rookie
I'll be looking at all of the control schemes of course, but I myself am leaning towards the GC controller.

Top Bottom