• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Has anyone received direct ridicule for using Little Mac?

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
I was up against the third place contender of a local tournament recently. On game 2 we both switched to our sub mains. Him to ROB, and me to Mac. I took a convincing game against him because I've researched a lot previously on how to deal with ROB's gyro and fuel-based recovery. But he was so surprised to have been beaten by Little Mac that he muttered "Mac is ****in' gay." quite audibly. He was so salty he didn't even shake my hand after he won the set. That's rare.

Odaroloc

Smash Cadet
NNID
OriginalRave
Even though Little Mac has dropped to 43 on the tier list, youll still be ****-shamed for it. His speed and superarmor are what piss people off, but at this point, players shouldn't get salty for losing to him.

NNID
Majorasmask66
I was up against the third place contender of a local tournament recently. On game 2 we both switched to our sub mains. Him to ROB, and me to Mac. I took a convincing game against him because I've researched a lot previously on how to deal with ROB's gyro and fuel-based recovery. But he was so surprised to have been beaten by Little Mac that he muttered "Mac is ****in' gay." quite audibly. He was so salty he didn't even shake my hand after he won the set. That's rare.
Now thats some salt! What an asshole. It's a shame to here that someone like that won the set but oh well.
Even though Little Mac has dropped to 43 on the tier list, youll still be ****-shamed for it. His speed and superarmor are what piss people off, but at this point, players shouldn't get salty for losing to him.
Yea lol that won't stop some of them from calling us things like tier whores and such even though alot of the guys I fought were using some of the highest tier characters as soon as we fought and yet I'm the bad guy who uses top tiers and such. Infact while were at it, they really need to nerf Mewtwo in Melee! He is low on the melee tier list but lets face it, I can't deal with him so clearly he is op. Duh... Just kidding.

KyroChao

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kyro_Keatonlabs
My god this reminds me off when i met this one guy online, who played a very impressive fox against my falcon. As soon as im back at character select, his tag was "LOLUSUCK" to "SellUrGame" to "YourRecordV". It got under my skin at first but im not one to let those people do it and leave as a result. He continued to sweep me and my mega man for 4 straight matches, using the same tags in the same order until i used luigi, caught onto his strategy and 2 stocked him. From that point on it was me and his falcon(still luigi) and he could not beat me once Once he finally beat m again, he changed tags and left and i felt so satisfied.

Though little mac does kinda fall into the "Easy to pick up and use" catagory, that doesnt mean hes OP or cheap, tho he can be VERY cheap depending on the player. Good players can usually work around most of his gimps(wall jump to side b, dtilt to fsmash) so he can still be a viable choice for competitive players

NNID
Majorasmask66
My god this reminds me off when i met this one guy online, who played a very impressive fox against my falcon. As soon as im back at character select, his tag was "LOLUSUCK" to "SellUrGame" to "YourRecordV". It got under my skin at first but im not one to let those people do it and leave as a result. He continued to sweep me and my mega man for 4 straight matches, using the same tags in the same order until i used luigi, caught onto his strategy and 2 stocked him. From that point on it was me and his falcon(still luigi) and he could not beat me once Once he finally beat m again, he changed tags and left and i felt so satisfied.

Though little mac does kinda fall into the "Easy to pick up and use" catagory, that doesnt mean hes OP or cheap, tho he can be VERY cheap depending on the player. Good players can usually work around most of his gimps(wall jump to side b, dtilt to fsmash) so he can still be a viable choice for competitive players
Well any character can be good if used very well. Thats a given so if little mac is cheap aslong as someone uses him right then I guess the same applies to the other characters. And that guy was a total jerk. Glad you came back and destroyed that guy.

Deadzombie

Smash Rookie
Well any character can be good if used very well. Thats a given so if little mac is cheap aslong as someone uses him right then I guess the same applies to the other characters. And that guy was a total jerk. Glad you came back and destroyed that guy.

Trust me picking little mac is a major choice. It either gets real ugly or real sweet

Superior Spider-Mew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MiniRagnarok
I get "hate messages" all the time and I've never played Little Mac once against the person. This one time I two stocked a Bowser player as Yoshi and then I get a message through the nametags saying "u_suck ;)" and all I can think of is "you hittin on me???" Misleading winking faces blaaahh!! lol

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
I was playing against a Rosalina and after the 3rd match with him, he changed his name to "MAC_SUCKS" and left.

Bleezyy

Smash Cadet
I'll be rich if I got a dollar for each one.. I think I got ridiculed a lot for Mac maybe its just for winning

Stefan Rook

Smash Rookie
I got 4th place at a tournament with Little Mac on the release day for the Wii U version. Every time I went up, people behind me would just scoff or laugh or roll their eyes or something of the sort.

Ironically, finals were between Diddy Kong and Dedede.

Bearbuddy4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
bearbuddy3
You can't really get mad at someone for using little mac, its not right. But I do get mad a little macs, its the ko move that bothers me. I've played several matches against skilled little macs , if im a stock ahead they ruin it with that cheap ass punch. Its simply not fair to have that move. Its too much of a gamechanger. I can't help but get angry then. But you can't tell a little mac player not to use part of his moveset.

- I get angry at little mac players but I understand that I shouldn't , then that ko move comes out and I cant help but be angry.

HakuryuVision

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HakuryuVision
While Little Mac is easy to pick up, he is REALLY HARD to master and use against advanced opponents.
His strength, speed, and super armor on certain attacks might look "overpowered", but many don't take his awful air-game, garbage-recovery, and lack of projectiles into consideration. All his strength are balanced out by his weaknesses, which is why we don't see him winning that many tournaments, or him placing high on the tier-list.

People who STILL think he is overpowered/unfair just suc- i mean...aren't very good at this game.
And any good Little Mac player deserves respect for winning against strong opponents with such a limited character.

You can't really get mad at someone for using little mac, its not right. But I do get mad a little macs, its the ko move that bothers me. I've played several matches against skilled little macs , if im a stock ahead they ruin it with that cheap *** punch. Its simply not fair to have that move. Its too much of a gamechanger. I can't help but get angry then. But you can't tell a little mac player not to use part of his moveset.

- I get angry at little mac players but I understand that I shouldn't , then that ko move comes out and I cant help but be angry.
Not to insult/provoke you (especially since you are a fellow Zard-mainer :006: ) but that's entirely your own fault.
Landing the K.O. move is actually pretty difficult if you aren't trying to hit a complete beginner. Its early K.O. potential is a fair trade off for how easy Little Mac is camped, zoned, gimped, and generally killed early and easy.
Not only does the K.O. punch have to be built up (via time/receiving damage), but the move doesn't even have that much of a range. Whiffing the K.O.punch is punishable, and you can even LOOSE the K.O.punch by getting hit a few times/receiving damage/loosing a stock.

-Not that i don't understand your anger though (i myself get really salty over lost online matches XD ).

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
While Little Mac is easy to pick up, he is REALLY HARD to master and use against advanced opponents.
His strength, speed, and super armor on certain attacks might look "overpowered", but many don't take his awful air-game, garbage-recovery, and lack of projectiles into consideration. All his strength are balanced out by his weaknesses, which is why we don't see him winning that many tournaments, or him placing high on the tier-list.

People who STILL think he is overpowered/unfair just suc- i mean...aren't very good at this game.
And any good Little Mac player deserves respect for winning against strong opponents with such a limited character.

Not to insult/provoke you (especially since you are a fellow Zard-mainer :006: ) but that's entirely your own fault.
Landing the K.O. move is actually pretty difficult if you aren't trying to hit a complete beginner. Its early K.O. potential is a fair trade off for how easy Little Mac is camped, zoned, gimped, and generally killed early and easy.
Not only does the K.O. punch have to be built up (via time/receiving damage), but the move doesn't even have that much of a range. Whiffing the K.O.punch is punishable, and you can even LOOSE the K.O.punch by getting hit a few times/receiving damage/loosing a stock.

-Not that i don't understand your anger though (i myself get really salty over lost online matches XD ).
Time has nothing to do with building a KO punch. It's either dealing or taking damage that does it (taking fills
it faster though, and shielding seems to get a token amount of charge). Once you have it, you have a few seconds
during which you can't lose it, but then anything that puts you in a tumble will have you lose it.

HakuryuVision

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HakuryuVision
Time has nothing to do with building a KO punch. It's either dealing or taking damage that does it (taking fills
it faster though, and shielding seems to get a token amount of charge). Once you have it, you have a few seconds
during which you can't lose it, but then anything that puts you in a tumble will have you lose it.
Oh! My bad!
-But still not as overpowered as people make it out to be.

Odaroloc

Smash Cadet
NNID
OriginalRave
Little Mac already received nerfs for his jabs and side special recovery. If people still ***** about losing, it's because they can't read their opponent well enough to figure out his weaknesses. The KO punch is incredibly annoying, but that's his only way of playing mindgames. LM preys on punishing people, so the worse a player is, the more they get punished, and the angrier they get.

He can't combo like any of the top tiers. If we stop them as LM, they'll hatus cuz they anus.

SSaintly

Smash Rookie
When I play Smash with my close friends, I always get ridiculed for using him especially when I try to fully optimize his armor on his smash attacks. Although when I play players that are generally speaking on "another level," I don't get harassed as much. Granted that the KO punch is almost the frustrating thing in the game if you get hit with it, I'm not going to lie I love landing it. Because I think someone said it earlier in this thread that LM disadvantages permit him to have it.

Either way, I enjoy playing Mac a ton. I can really mix my approaches up when playing people, while also trying to not get gimped off stage.

NNID
Majorasmask66
My opinion of the KO punch is that they should alter it by increasing the amount of meter gained for dealing damage and decrease the amount gained from taking damage. I have had some matches where I feel I won only because the enemy damages me alot.

SSaintly

Smash Rookie
My opinion of the KO punch is that they should alter it by increasing the amount of meter gained for dealing damage and decrease the amount gained from taking damage. I have had some matches where I feel I won only because the enemy damages me alot.
I've had plenty of those especially with close friends, and I'd agree. I sometimes like to get juggled on purpose, so I can gain my meter, lol.

TheKingWalnut

Smash Apprentice
On the topic of the KO punch, I usually just get rid of it and continue the fight, however if I feel like the opponent is being rude, I'll use it on them. I've had my fair share of rage quits, especially on 3DS, because I landed the KO punch.

Bearbuddy4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
bearbuddy3
On the topic of the KO punch, I usually just get rid of it and continue the fight, however if I feel like the opponent is being rude, I'll use it on them. I've had my fair share of rage quits, especially on 3DS, because I landed the KO punch.

I would want you to try to use it. Its silly not to use the tools you're given. Like if Bear Grylls was doing a survival show but a snickers bar accidentally fell from his pocket. It would be awkward as hell seeing that reaction.

NNID
Majorasmask66
I get "hate messages" all the time and I've never played Little Mac once against the person. This one time I two stocked a Bowser player as Yoshi and then I get a message through the nametags saying "u_suck ;)" and all I can think of is "you hittin on me???" Misleading winking faces blaaahh!! lol
The for glory community in general is pretty bad I feel.

Noventia

Smash Cadet
Inb4 little mac aura mechanic

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
I play Little Mac ONE TIME for fun on FG, and people are so quick to either ragequit and then leave, or change their name tag to a flurry of insults.
Some people just REALLY hate him...

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
My friends usually groan when I play a game with my Pocket Mac and fear him more than my main, Shulk. So much so that they claim I'm playing an OP character when I see them playing Zamus, Sonic, Diddy, or even in Mac dittos because I know to be patient with him.

That said I don't demean any of them and usually don't stick to Mac with more than one game because I prefer to have an actual air game with my playstyle.

NNID
Majorasmask66
My friends usually groan when I play a game with my Pocket Mac and fear him more than my main, Shulk. So much so that they claim I'm playing an OP character when I see them playing Zamus, Sonic, Diddy, or even in Mac dittos because I know to be patient with him.

That said I don't demean any of them and usually don't stick to Mac with more than one game because I prefer to have an actual air game with my playstyle.
Alot of the people who were disrespectful to me for using Little Mac were using some of the best characters in the game. Like the ones you said.

MarvinxO

Smash Rookie
Been getting into FG on 3DS recently in the oceanic region and whenever I get foreign names(not trying to be racist or anything), they always result to camping the ledge =.= It just seems disrespectful.

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
Been getting into FG on 3DS recently in the oceanic region and whenever I get foreign names(not trying to be racist or anything), they always result to camping the ledge =.= It just seems disrespectful.
I'd say it's more newbies who don't know how to fight Mac and think all they need to do is throw and gimp. At least, moreso than disrespect. It's like how Falcons and Diddy Kongs fish for grabs - they don't know how else to play their character, let alone against others.

NNID
Majorasmask66
It's those god damn Mexicans I swear. Jk

PHYTO-1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHYTO-1
whenever i keep winning against someone multiple times and they change characters many times they will often pick little mac and even pick wireframe costume like me. i'll proceed to defeat them and then they leave. its like theyre saying "pff youre only winning cuz little mac is OP, i'll pick him and see how you like it"

KFrosty

Smash Apprentice
For my personal experience, I learned that if I play someone like Marth first and then switch to Little Mac (regardless of a win or loss), they tend to go easier on me in that first Mac match. After I win a match or two, they usually ragequit. Mac is my main, and it bugs me a bit that the community is so polarized by his existence.

I'd say it's more newbies who don't know how to fight Mac and think all they need to do is throw and gimp. At least, moreso than disrespect. It's like how Falcons and Diddy Kongs fish for grabs - they don't know how else to play their character, let alone against others.
The thing about players like this is that they are mislead by the tiers of this game and assume that the only way to be good is to play a high tier. They normally don't think about how the character or game itself should actually be played, and get angry when they see a low tier character beat them, as it goes against what they've "learned"

Last edited:

Transforce98

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1564-3695-0517
Some guy got mad at me for two stocking him in like 40 seconds, insulted me, switched to little mac, and then i owned him with ganondorf while he was little mac. He asked me "How do you like it?" and i felt just fine considering I still beat him. Oh and it's funny to see people call you a scrub when they finally win a match. I DESTROYED a guy and he rage quitted by killing himself and then chose another character which I DESTROYED again and then he switched to diddy kong and I still beat him. We played a match after that and he FINALLY won the match with diddy, called me a scrub, and ran away.
New to the boards, but it doesn't matter. I just wanted to say I 2 stocked another Mac as Mac in 30 seconds, first kill was rejecting his recovery and the second was a low percentage KO punch. I've been disrespected a bunch playing Mac, it's not really fun, but when you build slight rage on another character, you release it all with Mac. Did that once, and I went on a 10 win streak on the same guy. He switched to Yoshi, beat me by a whiff of a Smash attack from me, and I won the next one with him quitting. Ain't this game great?

MarkedRaptor

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0233-0881-8840
Switch FC
SW-4669-5955-8279
Hello everyone. I have often seen people rage pick to Little Mac against me to "prove" he's easy. Even Little Mac can gimp Little Mac's recovery. Needless to say it never works out for them.

As far as direct ridicule, I have actually recieved it directly. Two different people have said "Oh great, a Little Mac player". One of them conceded after I called him out. The other one went to argue that he was the best character in the game. Apparently rumors spread hard of his "overpoweredness" but none of his actual win rate, tier rankings, or drawbacks.

I've noticed when questioned about what makes him strong, they say cuz he's fast and can K/O easily. They don't know exactly WHAT makes him strong, it's just what they heard from group think and hearsay.

Last edited:
NNID
Majorasmask66
Hello everyone. I have often seen people rage pick to Little Mac against me to "prove" he's easy. Even Little Mac can gimp Little Mac's recovery. Needless to say it never works out for them.

As far as direct ridicule, I have actually recieved it directly. Two different people have said "Oh great, a Little Mac player". One of them conceded after I called him out. The other one went to argue that he was the best character in the game. Apparently rumors spread hard of his "overpoweredness" but none of his actual win rate, tier rankings, or drawbacks.

I've noticed when questioned about what makes him strong, they say cuz he's fast and can K/O easily. They don't know exactly WHAT makes him strong, it's just what they heard from group think and hearsay.
I keep hearing Little Mac is one of the best characters in the game or he's one of the worst.

Transforce98

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1564-3695-0517

I consider Mac as the definite Underdog of this game, people don't expect him to win that often, but when he does, it's a great victory, especially when the opponent is a character like Diddy, Fox, and such. I've even built up a bit of rage when I was trying to win as Toon Link against a Charizard player, I soon be came 'Disgruntled Little Mac' and continued to win ten more games against him. Hell, recently, I fought six battle with different people, who left after I beat them. It's kinda disappointing when people see who you're playing and assume you're a bad player.

A good way I came up with to counter the 'Beat-Mac-Meta' is to rush to the other edge when you see them try to shield-grab you on the opposite edge. Throw a few punches, and wait for them to approach. Use Down Smashes while rolling if they roll with you, and dodging is good to follow with a FTilt or a FSmash. Also, I decided to limit my countering uses while coming down, only do so when they are right by you and then let them hit you so you can throw that punch back. It's kinda good to gain some ground too, especially if they hit you from behind, and it sends you in the opposite direction from them.

Transforce98

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1564-3695-0517
When I play Smash with my close friends, I always get ridiculed for using him especially when I try to fully optimize his armor on his smash attacks. Although when I play players that are generally speaking on "another level," I don't get harassed as much. Granted that the KO punch is almost the frustrating thing in the game if you get hit with it, I'm not going to lie I love landing it. Because I think someone said it earlier in this thread that LM disadvantages permit him to have it.

Either way, I enjoy playing Mac a ton. I can really mix my approaches up when playing people, while also trying to not get gimped off stage.
Odd, when I played with my friends, who haven't played Smash since Brawl, liked when I played Mac. Yeah, one of them chose Charizard and spammed Flare Blitz and Rock Smash, but it made my night when I KOed him with said K/O Punch while he charged me with Flare Blitz. I wish to do that again someday... Just to know that they are writhing with salt and vinegar on the other end.:dazwa:

Top Bottom