• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Has anyone noticed that none of the older Final Smashes have been shown yet?

The only one confirmed to be the same so far is Samus' Zero Laser, and it's not entirely the same. Every other confirmed Final Smash for veterans is entirely new. (Poltergust, Ultra Sword, Mega Charizard X, and possibly Mega Lucario)

Do you think the majority have been changed, or do you think they're just showing the new ones first?

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
not sure though I don't like that they changed kirbys to a marth/linkish fs

Morbi

Scavenger
not sure though I don't like that they changed kirbys to a marth/linkish fs
I love the change.

The only one confirmed to be the same so far is Samus' Zero Laser, and it's not entirely the same. Every other confirmed Final Smash for veterans is entirely new. (Poltergust, Ultra Sword, Mega Charizard X, and possibly Mega Lucario)

Do you think the majority have been changed, or do you think they're just showing the new ones first?
I honestly feel as though the majority of Final Smashes are going to be different this time around. That prospect excites me. We will probably get a Final Smash montage during e3 to confirm/deconfirm this sentiment.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
I hope they were all changed. Even if it's just aesthetically.

I really hope they raise the "Wow!" factor of the Final Smashes. They all need to be on a grand scale.

I mean, you have all these crazy memorable characters that are performing these over-the-top fantastic super moves. In Brawl, very few were really cool to watch. Link's, Ike's, and Lucario's FS come to mind. But plenty were just boring. (R.O.B. Kirby, G&W ect.)

Yeah, they have to be functional, first and foremost. But they have to look cool in the process. Hopefully, the FS they're getting will be crazy.

And from the FS we HAVE seen, it's looking to be that way.

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
There are a ton that needed reworked. Some were OPed (Sonic and the Star Fox characters) and some were useless (Peach and DK) and some just didn't make sense for the character (Mario, Jigglypuff).

Of the new ones we've seen, Sakurai has done well. He has come through for Luigi, Kirby and Pit.

D

Deleted member 245254

I mean, it does make sense they wouldn't waste precious little footage they're giving us on stuff we already have seen, at least I appreciate that if it was the case...

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
I would hope that a lot are changed. It's been 6 years a lot has come out since then so there's a lot more to draw from.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Yea i think E3 version of the smash direct will have a section on final smashes.

Probably won't get shown till after the newcomers and veterans for this direct get unmasked.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
There are a ton that needed reworked. Some were OPed (Sonic and the Star Fox characters) and some were useless (Peach and DK) and some just didn't make sense for the character (Mario, Jigglypuff).

Of the new ones we've seen, Sakurai has done well. He has come through for Luigi, Kirby and Pit.
Mario's Final Smash made sense for him. It looks like it's based on Ultra Flame from Super Mario RPG. That's one of Mario's specials in that game. Plus Mario is known for using fireballs anyway.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Most of them are probably unchanged honestly, and we've probably seen the ones we have because they are new. Remember that the concept for some of these goes back to the N64; Ness even has an unused voice clip in that game for PK Starstorm! I really doubt Sakurai is going to cut content like that at this point.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Most of them are probably unchanged honestly, and we've probably seen the ones we have because they are new. Remember that the concept for some of these goes back to the N64; Ness even has an unused voice clip in that game for PK Starstorm! I really doubt Sakurai is going to cut content like that at this point.
Yup. I feel like they'll show off the new ones, but not do any initial promotion for ones that have not changed.

I really hope they show DK's or Peach's new final smashes in a pic of the day (Sakurai please).

Ragel

Smash Apprentice
Hopefully there's a special mode where everybodys Final Smash is just a Landmaster. Can never have too many Landmasters.

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
I don't think we'll get a lot of new ones, but I think your line of thinking is a bit flawed. Essentially, you propose that because he's had the idea for these moves since the series' inception that he's definitely going to use them. I think that's not so. He's stated before that he's been reevaluating the characters designs and he's changed several things some of them have had for a while. I don't see why Final Smashes would be any different in that regard.

[TSON]

Hella.
NNID
oTSONo
"We've balanced final smashes, so now there's no way to turn off Smash Balls. Please understand."

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
"We've balanced final smashes, so now there's no way to turn off Smash Balls. Please understand."
Even if they somehow balanced Final Smashes, it's the Smash Ball itself that would ruin it, because it breaks semi-randomly.

Maybe if it worked similarly to Little Mac's power meter mixed with a Pity Smash (minus the pity)... But let's face it: if all the Final Smashes were toned down, it wouldn't be as much fun. Not everything about Smash has to be competitive. It's still one of the best party games, no matter what.

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
Mario's Final Smash made sense for him. It looks like it's based on Ultra Flame from Super Mario RPG. That's one of Mario's specials in that game. Plus Mario is known for using fireballs anyway.

I'll be darned. I forgot about Mario RPG. I always thought they just pulled that out of the air.

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
Yes but some of the old ones were just plain weird, like Negative Zone, but thankfully that one has been changed, even though it was a fairly powerful move. Seriously though, Pit's new Final Smash just looks plain EPIC! MASSIVE LASER AIRSTRIKES FTW!!!

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I think a lot have changed. I am excited to see more of them and hopefully we get different Final Smashes for Link and Toon Link, Zelda and Sheik, and of course the Star Fox characters as well.

D

Deleted member

I feel that we're getting newer ones first due to being noteworthy changes. Though I'm also under the belief that only veterans that have new options between the time of Brawl's release to now will get them:

Negative Zone was the embodiment of Luigi being stuck in Mario's shadow. Now that the Year of Luigi has put him in the spotlight, he no longer has that problem. And since Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon happened, he's got the Poltergust again to use.

Kirby's Return to Dream Land introduced the Super Abilities, which are a step beyond the normal Copy Abilities under Kirby's repertoire. Even Abilities like Cook, Crash, Mike, etc. And Ultra Sword is the most prominent of them, so...

Pokémon X & Y introduced Mega Evolutions for Pokémon, with Charizard and Lucario being two notable Pokémon to receive one (or two in Charizard's case). Charizard needed a solo Final Smash due to being separated from the Pokémon Trainer, and Lucario's previous Final Smash was an original technique to Smash, making the switch to their new Mega Evolutions more viable.

Pit was given a rehaul on his overall style to incorporate aspects from Kid Icarus Uprising, and his Final Smash reflects this; using the revamped Three Sacred Treasures as they are portrayed in the game as opposed to the NES original. And....it could possibly be because Palutena is going to join the battle herself this time around, but that's just speculation for now.

Samus keeps her Final Smash with the only change being she doesn't shed her Power Suit when it ends due to Zero Suit Samus now being her own separate character.
Though considering Zero Laser was designed specifically for the function of causing the switch between the two in Brawl and is not featured in the Metroid series, it seems it was kept for tradition's sake as opposed to replacing it with something more "canon" for the lack of a better word than something like the Power Bombs.

With this in mind, Sheik and Zero Suit Samus should be expected to have new Final Smashes due to the separations between them and Zelda and Samus. However, other veterans remain a mystery.
Perhaps some will get changes like King Dedede, who has his Masked Dedede state that was introduced after Brawl and was
recently featured in Kirby Triple Deluxe
or Yoshi due to Yoshi's New Island introducing the Eggdozers.
Some, like Captain Falcon or the Ice Climbers, might not get changes due to having nothing new available to them.
We just have to wait and see what happens.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I'd love it if Mario gets a new final smash... I would say the White Tanooki suit or Mega Mario or Rainbow Mario would be a good option but that might be too much like some of the other ones.

A Lucky Person

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aLuckyPerson
3DS FC
4914-3160-6884
inb4 speculation on Ridley's FS even though he isn't even confirmed.

But seriously, I'm liking these changes to old final smashes! They're really going all out for this game in the small stuff. I hope that the final smashes better represent what characters actually do. Toon Link stabs folks in the forehead, the space animals would be given different vehicles, Mario has something that's not a kamehameha, R.O.B. kills his opponents' franchises slowly with bad sales and poor marketing.

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
inb4 speculation on Ridley's FS even though he isn't even confirmed.
Why would we speculate over Ridley's fs? It's obviously him transforming into Pyrosphere's stage hazard. That player can't play for the rest of the match, but then again neither can anyone else as they weep over Ridley's sad non-playable fate, so it evens out.

Either that or it's Ridley crying as he chugs a slim-fast, but Ridley is beyond that phase now. "Too big? More like too awesome." *cue shades* -Ridley

Last edited:

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
Especially for Captain Falcon and Ice Climbers.
Capt. Falcon's FS was one of my favorites in Brawl. It had a cutscene (I wish all Final Smashes had something like this - they NEED to be showy), it was very powerful. Only thing is that it's somewhat hard to land, and it lacks a really cool catchphrase.

Ice Climber's FS was a boring piece of garbage.

sunshinesan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sunshinesan
3DS FC
2836-1118-8472
Captain Falcon's needs to be his Ultimate Falcon Punch in the anime. I can dream right? It's goofy and memey but I just can't get over some parallel universe getting it and it's actually the most epic thing ever.

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
Captain Falcon's needs to be his Ultimate Falcon Punch in the anime. I can dream right? It's goofy and memey but I just can't get over some parallel universe getting it and it's actually the most epic thing ever.
If they include a cinematic similar to the show id trade up his current FS for that anyday

Sahfarry

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2750-1620-0068
Even if they somehow balanced Final Smashes, it's the Smash Ball itself that would ruin it, because it breaks semi-randomly.

Maybe if it worked similarly to Little Mac's power meter mixed with a Pity Smash (minus the pity)... But let's face it: if all the Final Smashes were toned down, it wouldn't be as much fun. Not everything about Smash has to be competitive. It's still one of the best party games, no matter what.
Yeah I see a future for FSs if they put it to use in a way that makes you "build up" your "own" "smashball".

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
I feel like some of the Final Smashes that were decided earlier in development were a lot less pertinent to their characters, whereas as time went on, they made Final Smashes more and more creative and referential to the character's heritage.

Which is why Mario's Final smash was a lame swirly fire blast, despite the fact that he has DECADES of incredibly varied content to draw from for a better Final Smash.

I think they're taking this opportunity to bring those earlier characters into the train of thought that they had going by the end of Brawl's development.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I feel like some of the Final Smashes that were decided earlier in development were a lot less pertinent to their characters, whereas as time went on, they made Final Smashes more and more creative and referential to the character's heritage.

Which is why Mario's Final smash was a lame swirly fire blast, despite the fact that he has DECADES of incredibly varied content to draw from for a better Final Smash.

I think they're taking this opportunity to bring those earlier characters into the train of thought that they had going by the end of Brawl's development.
I like Mario's firestorm quite a bit, actually.

Super FOG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FOG2006
3DS FC
4253-3752-2801
I LOVE the Mario Finale, I really love to see Mario with the burning hands and vibrant glowing eyes unleashing a gigantic storm of flames! It's so stylish, cool looking and can be essentially devastating if properly used. Instead of removing, I would BUFF it, I would add the possibility of fire this Final Smash in 8 directions, improve its vertical range and overall knockback and letting fire trails on the stage that actually inflicts damage and a slightly longer duration.

=======================

DK's Final Smash should've been changed by that button-mashing sequence in DKCR and DKCTF when DK thrashes the boss after defeat him, it's hilarious and therapeutic :v

=======================

Peach's Final Smash can be the Freeze Frame technique from Mario Strikers Charged, it freezes the enemies into a photo frame allowing to Peach freely spanking them without them even flinch.

=======================

Meta Knight's Galaxia Darkness (kinda ironic that the SS Tier character's FS is one of your WEAKEST moves, in fact, it's the weakest FS in the entire game) should've be gone too. In fact, I would overhaul the entire character's moveset :v

=======================

Jigglypuff's Final Smash MUST be something related to the fairy-type pokémon.

=======================

Another FSes that should've been kept: Triforce Slash (for Link), Great Aether, Rocketbarrel Barrage, Super Sonic (after several downgrades, of course), Volt Tackle, Super Dragon, Landmaster (for Fox), Giga Bowser (and also allowing to inflict damage on Giga Mac and Mega Charizard X too), Light Arrow (for Zelda) and PK Starstorm (for Ness, since it's the most powerful).

.Lucina

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5327-1598-3487
King Dedede will hopefully get Masked Dedede, the rest I don't have much preference for.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
This would please me.

Link - Fierce Deity
Captain Falcon - Super Falcon Punch
Donkey Kong - Coconut Shooter
Mewtwo - Psystrike

Since there is 5 types of final smashes (directional, focused, trapping, stage-wide, and transformation) what if each character had 5 final smashes to choose from, which went with the customization idea. That way you can have a final smash no matter which kind you prefer. /balanced sorta

Last edited:

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Eh, I chocked this up to Sakurai only having actually shown a few Final Smashes. But you may be onto something.

Top Bottom