• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Harry Potter

GENRL MILLS

Smash Rookie
The books may be over but new and exciting things involving Harry and the gang all the time... Including movies, games and more! Come and share your thoughts about the magical world of Harry Potter!!!

Scott!

Smash Lord
The trailers for this movie look stupidly amazing. I'm at the highest level of HP fanboyism below the dress-up level. First day releases for books 4-7, had 3 in its first week, and 1 and 2 before they were huge. I've been to every movie on opening day, the last 2 in Imax. This time, it won't be Imax on opening day, since the theater near us isn't showing it then, but we'll be at a huge screen, and we'll see it on Imax later on.

But back to this trailer. Epic. Epic. Epic. Everything else in the world stops when one comes on TV, even though I've seen them a few dozen times. The bridge, the Burrow, the Snape, the Tom Riddle, the Hermione smacking Harry upside the head, the everything. Woo. Right now, I live for the 15th.

GENRL MILLS

Smash Rookie
The sixth book is probably my second favorite, if not my favorite, in the series so I'm super excited about the movie... Even though I know I'll probably leave pissed like all the other movies... I'm praying that they actually stick closer to the book on this movie.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
I. LOVE. HARRY. POTTER.

Why wasn't there one of these threads before?

§leepy God

Smash Master
I hate reading the books because it's so freaken long, I mean if Lord of the Rings wasn't a movie, I would hate that to because the book is do **** long, lol. I love the movies because it has people, and action and doesn't give me a headache because it's so many words.

LLDL

Smash Hero
the books are 1000 times better than the movies. For those of you that haven't read the books, go read them. They are long, but they are so good, that they don't seem long at all.

§leepy God

Smash Master
That's what everyone says. XD

I'm the odd card out since I don't like reading books in general unless I have to because of college, but since I'm done with college, I don't feel like reading books now. :p

Deception

Smash Ace
I don't think I'll like the sixth movie very much. Making the films PG again is a terrible move. The books get more mature with each rising entry, so the movie needs to be PG-13 at least to be as mature as the book it's based off of.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Anyone else think the epilogue on the seventh sucked ***?
The epilogue was awful. But really, the whole seventh book was pretty bad (the series as a whole took a dive after the fourth one, actually).

The new movie looks good (better than the book), but I think it's a huge mistake to split the seventh book into two movies. Part 1 is going to be boring and Part 2 is going to have no plot unless they improvise a whole lot.

Scott!

Smash Lord
I read the books and watch the movies, and I think the movies have all been decent at least. *Ducks and hides from the Book 3 fans.* I was kind of bothered that the 5th movie was the shortest while that book was the longest, but they made it work pretty well. But my thing with the movies is that they are in no way intended to replace the books. By the 3rd movie, if you hadn't read the book, you couldn't follow it the first time through. The movies are visualizations of the books.

The epilogue was pretty useless. It should have been longer, or not there at all, preferably the latter. If Rowling wants to write more about them, then she should go ahead, rather than just do little teases. Of course, my theory is that she did it to feed the fanfics, as she's admitted to reading some. Not surprising, considering.

Also, splitting Book 7 is fine by me, and not just because I don't want it to end in a year. That book was massive, and most of it is uncuttable. It's not just a money-grab, though I'm sure that helped them make the decision.

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
The epilogue was awful. But really, the whole seventh book was pretty bad (the series as a whole took a dive after the fourth one, actually).
4th is my favourite in the series. I liked the 5th more after a second read through, and enjoyed 6. I liked getting the back history of Voldemort.

I need to reread 7. On my first read I felt it just fell flat.
I didn't mind the tracking through the woods and what not, because while not much was happening, it felt real and didn't bore me. But the final duel with Voldemort? Wtf was that?? It was terrible, that's what. Harry seriously disposed of Voldemort with the disarm charm. Through the entire books I feel like they used like, 4 spells. Alohamora, stupify, and expelliarmus. Uhhhhhhhhhh. It's like Rowling didn't want to evolve the books to the next level. Then it just felt like she started killing people as a forced "Look how terrible battle is bla bla". And the epilogue? Omg. Way too happy happy and unnecessary. I mean, I like the way it was told, but the subject matter just wasn't great.

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
Oh god no one could forget that.

Rules of the wizarding world: Never update to anything convenient, like lined paper, pencils, etc. Always dress like a ******. And name your kids ridiculous things.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
The epilogue was pretty useless. My theory is that she did it to feed the fanfics
My theory is that it WAS a fanfic. :urg: I could posibly maybe have found it un-horrible, but then the naming of the kids...ugh.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
I really need to reread this entire series, but mostly just for the last book. As Livvers said, the seventh book just kinda fell flat. As far as favourites, probably the third, fourth, and sixth. Yep, it's official. Gotta read these books again.

And don't even get me started on the epilogue. It was almost as bad as Stephenie Meyer.

Airgemini

Chansey
Safari Zone. Shiny, and holding a Lucky Egg.
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
Lol at Twilight.
Actually, I think I'll reread the series with lythium. I just wish it'd be the same as the first time :(

In the sixth book I got intense chills near the end when Harry and Dumbledore was trying to retrieve the...... Horcrux? (I've forgoten a lot of name details with stuff in the books :() when those.. zombie things started coming I was hooked.

Oh yeah, I'm definately rereading these.

For a fun topic, what's everyone's favorite moments in each book?

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Hmm, good question.

1. I'm probably going to have to go with the actual introduction to the wizarding world. In particular, when Harry goes shopping with Hagrid. And the train ride. Basically, when Harry experiences the wizarding world for the first time. Chocolate frogs. Hedwig. The apothecary. Gringott's. Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans.

2. The Dueling Club. Nuff said.

3. Time travel. Even though it's bad time travel, it's still time travel. And time travel is wicked-cool.

4. Egads. I think there might be too many moments in this one. So many good things going on. I'm going to have to say the unveiling of the Goblet of Fire, and each of the events in the Triwizard Tournament. Actually, I'm just going to say the ENTIRE BOOK.

5. Occlumency. Harry's dreams. WTF moments.

6. Harry's emergence as a POTIONS MASTER. Haha, not really. Um... probably the unveiling of the story itself. Dumbledore's memories and whatnot. Horcruxes.

7. Nothing really stands out in this book, sadly. My favourite part is probably Hermione's evening bag that holds everything. Because I would give a large portion of my soul to have a bag like that.

Osco316

Mic_128
BRoomer
A crummy world of plot holes and spelling errors
I am in love with the Harry Potter (book) series. I don't understand why you guys are hating on the last book, I loved it.

The night it came out is one of my fondest memories. Going to Barnes and Noble with my friends at night, finally getting my book around 12:45 am, almost hitting someone in the parking lot because I was so **** excited. I got home at 1, finished at around 9, and went to bed happy.

I reread it again that week, since most of my friends didn't finish it in one night and kept talking about where they were. The second read allowed me to catch some things I had missed the first time.

I reread it again, I want to say sometime last summer. Still loved it.

Yeah, the epilogue was cheesy, but did you really expect anything more than a happy ending? I don't know if I'd consider the books "great" by critical standards, but they are for sure my favorite books to read because it's just so **** fun. Maybe it's due to the fact that I grew up with them, anticipating every new book release. I really don't know if anything will ever capture me like Harry Potter did.

My favorite part of book seven was probably when Ron was gone, because he is a douche and one of my least favorite characters.

As for the anticlimactic battle between Harry and Voldemort, it kind of had to happen that way. The entire series has been about Harry not really being that special or powerful. Expelliarmus is lame, yeah, but the way the books were set up, there was really no other way.

A random scene that still sticks with me:

I think it's book six, the three of them go into Madam Malkin's and Draco looks at Hermione (who is sporting a black eye from a punching telescope she found at the Weasleys') and says "Who blacked your eye, Granger? I want to send them flowers." That continues to make me laugh.

hundreds of utilts

Smash Apprentice
The best moment of the series to me, might've been when Harry jumped from under the invisibility cloak and crucio'd Amycus Carrow for spitting in prof Mcgonagall's face. The only badass thing he's ever done. Although I gotta admit, robbing a bank and escaping on a blind dragon was pretty good too.

Another thing I always loved about the books was the funky illustration style. I don't think Rowling could've found a better person than Mary GrandPre for the job.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
GrandPre did the illustrations for the American versions. She didn't collaborate with Rowling at all.

Normal cover:

GrandPre cover:

Personally, I like the first one. With no illustrations whatsoever.

Airgemini

Chansey
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
Yeah, the epilogue was cheesy, but did you really expect anything more than a happy ending?
Well for me, it's not that the ending was so happy, it's just that she left out a lot of characters and I think it could've been a little better. It seemed like she got through writing the book and wanted to rush through the epilogue to finally be over with the series.

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
Favourite moments from each book?

1.) Hmm. I can't really think of one out of here. I guess Harry finding out he's a wizard and learning about his parents' death.

2.) The parts with Lockhart. He was such an arrogant douche that it's hilarious. I remember as a kid laughing hysterically when he grabs Harry before Herbology and talks to him about being famous, and kept going,"Harry, Harry, Harry."

3.) Probably the unveiling that Sirius Black was Harry's godfather. I was like =O

4.) Definitely the scene where Voldemort comes back. I remember reading just this scenario multiple times when I was younger. Probably still my favourite part in the whole series.

5.) The Dept of Mysteries. So much fun seeing all the crazy magical things and what they did to people. Also Occlumency where Harry learns Snape really does have a reason to hate Harry's dad.

6.) Learning about the Horcruxes and Voldie's past.

7.) I think when they're trekking around from place to place in hiding. You could feel their desperation and hopelessness.

@Osco: Good point about the end battle.

Osco316

Mic_128
BRoomer
A crummy world of plot holes and spelling errors
Well for me, it's not that the ending was so happy, it's just that she left out a lot of characters and I think it could've been a little better. It seemed like she got through writing the book and wanted to rush through the epilogue to finally be over with the series.
I remember reading, I believe it was somewhere in the middle of the series (once again, I was/am obsessed with Harry Potter), that Rowling had had the final chapter written out for years and knew exactly how it would end. I assumed the epilogue was that chapter. It was supposed to end with the word "scar," but she said that could change, which it did.

I cracked up when I saw the UK cover before the book came out, having no idea what the **** was supposed to be happening in that scene.

smashbot226

Smash Master
1. Finding out who Voldemort's vessel was. Mr. Quill. I honestly thought it was somebody OTHER than that sniveling runt.

2. Finding out who was painting the blood on the walls. Ginny. :0

3. The whole scene where everyone realizes there's a full moon out and realize that with Lupin, they are SCRRRREEEEWWWWEEEEED.

4. Voldemort's Return. 'Twas epic. Except for killing the baby...

5. When Dolores Umbridge bad-mouthed the obviously pissed-off centaurs and they took her away.

6. When Harry finds out that Gryffindor won the final match and him and Ginny kiss.

7. When Beatrix got WTFPWND by Molly. Sweet justice...

Scott!

Smash Lord
First off, Mary Grandpre >>> whatever British silliness that was. Sorry, Brits, but it's true.

Favorite moments? Let's see...

1. Probably the magical obstacle course that was the 3rd floor corridor. Such cool stuff.

2. Gilderoy Lockhart forever. First off, Kenneth Branaugh was brilliant casting there. But Lockhart is just the man. So ridiculous.

3. The whole end. Freaking amazing.

4. The whole end. Freaking amazing.

5. The whole end. Freaking amazing.

6. Either the hilarious awkwardness of HarryxGinny, or the whole end. Freaking amazing.

7. Sorry, but the end again. I'd called it for years that the final battle would be in Hogwarts. Not that much of a guess, but still. McGonagall summoning the castle for battle was amazing, and I live for that scene in the 8th movie, most likely.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
First off, Mary Grandpre >>> whatever British silliness that was. Sorry, Brits, but it's true.
Sorry, but I have to disagree. Yes, her drawings add a lot of character to the books, but it feels wrong to me. Perhaps if she colloborated with Rowling I could handle it, but she doesn't. In the fifth book, she drew Snape as a balding dude with a goatee, when he is clearly described as having shoulder-length greasy black hair.

I also don't like how she illustrates the beginning of each chapter. No, they don't spoil it, but they do hint at the content in the chapter, which puts me off.

But hey, that's just my two cents. :)

Airgemini

Chansey
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
1. No certain moment in particular, just the introductions to everything mainly.

2. Lockhart, probably. I can't really remember anything with this one.

3. When they go back into the past with the time turner, the climax with Sirius, Peter, and Lupin. Well, actually, I like a lot of parts in this book, it's my second favorite :3

4. Triwizard tournament, and Voldemort's revival.

5. Umbridge, Umbridge, Umbridge, Umbridge :bee:. My favorite book :). I liked Umbridge's role as the sadistic ***** teacher, soooo much fun to read :D. Department of Mysteries fight was pretty good as well. Lots of good parts in this one for me ;).

6. When Harry and Dumbledore go to that cave for a... Goblet? I forgot. But when Dumbledore was drinking the water and then all those inferni, I believe, started appearing. Also, the introduction to Horcruxes was nice, Ron making the team, annndd Apparation lessons. Oh, and Dumbledore's death.

7. Trying to find the Horcruxes, when Dobby died :(, that's all I can think of :ohwell:

GENRL MILLS

Smash Rookie
Favorite moments in HP... that's a hard question but I shall try to answer it...

1) Probably when Harry shoves his wand in the trolls nose!!! Haha it marks the beginning of a beautiful friendship...
2) A hard one but probably between the gang sneaking into Slytherin's common room and the story of Tom Riddle and the epic fight when he comes out of the diary...
3) One of my top 3 favorite books in the series... My favorite moment is the whole scene when they are in the shack and they all find out the true idenity of peter and Sirius... Love it!!!
4) The Quidditch World Cup and the Triwizard Tournament!!! Probably my second favorite in the series... It or book 7 lol
5) When the gang is caught by Umbridge and her minions and when Harry and Hermione lead her into the forest... she got what she deserved lol
6) Definitely the moments when they travel into the memories and discover the life of Lord Voldemort... Probably my favorite scenes in all the books... But the whole lake and inferni scene was freaking awesome! May be my favorite in the series!!!
7) Honestly I don't know if I have just a favorite moment... the struggle to find the horocruxes was awesome and maybe when Harry visited his parents grave...

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
Sorry, but I have to disagree. Yes, her drawings add a lot of character to the books, but it feels wrong to me. Perhaps if she colloborated with Rowling I could handle it, but she doesn't. In the fifth book, she drew Snape as a balding dude with a goatee, when he is clearly described as having shoulder-length greasy black hair.

I also don't like how she illustrates the beginning of each chapter. No, they don't spoil it, but they do hint at the content in the chapter, which puts me off.
I like how the beginnings of chapters hint at what's going on, but you don't know exactly what it is. It's kind of like when sneak a piece of cake frosting before the cake's been served.

I just hate the British covers because the art is downright atrocious.

@Smashbot: Voldemort was the baby. It wasn't being killed.

Or and another fav moment from 7: Seeing Snape's memories about Lily

Airgemini

Chansey
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
Hmmm.
More discussion topics :bee:
In the Goblet of Fire, my favorite challenge/task is the lake one.
I think the dragon was the most challenging, the lake was the hardest, and the maze was the most frustrating.

Also, when facing the dragon.. If Harry can use "Accio" to summon his broomstick... Why can't he use it to summon the egg to him? :confused:

Top Bottom