• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

leviathan_

Smash Journeyman
I take back what I said about the epilogue... it was great, as I FIRST said.
Yeah.. whoever thought Kreacher would actually go about respecting Harry? This book certainly revealed the true nature of Harry Potter. Determined, selfless, the ability to love...

I thought they should've thrown in the Dept. of Mysteries though. I dunno, I kinda felt that something was missing, not throwing in the Veil or the Love Room.. Could've played an important part in the book, but oh well.

Sargent_Peach

Smash Journeyman
I really didn't want Dobby and Severus to die. I would have picked them to live, over anyone else, I think. It would be hard, cause I feel bad for Fred, and Lupin, but I think I would def go Dobby and Snape.

I wish Voldermort would have fought Snape, so Snape could really prove his allegiance to Dumbledore in front of everyone. I also would have liked Umbridge to get her *** kicked. She always seems to slip through the punishment. I don't think the centaurs was enough.

Lol at Neville's grandma and at Scorpius. That is a horrible name.

I need some clarification, so the ring was a stone? Or whats the deal there.

xstompx

Smash Cadet
The book was good for the most part, and I liked to read the explanations nearing the end, but... I really didn't like the epilogue. It felt too cliche or something; everything turned out too well. And the names were a bit ridiculous as well. Albus Severus Potter is NOT a good name and it doesn't flow well at all. I would have been happier with a different ending for sure, but perhaps a different 19 years later scene would have been fine.

Meh... now I just have to wait for the 12th Wheel of Time book (more excited for that one)

Iggy K

Smash Ace
Fred, Snape, Lupin, all my favourite characters were killed of except for George. And The Prince's Tale is the best chapter in the series.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Yeah, the fact that Snape DIDN'T die in front of everybody showing his true colors just adds to the sadness of his life.

I was going to touch upon that **** that CK mentioned, but oh well.

Hermione and Ron were shacking up in the CoS.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
The Princes Tale was, in my oppinion, one of the best chapters in the series. We've witnessed alot of prime-time deaths, but I think the true story of Snapes life and loyalties was one of the more touching events in the series. It was very well written. I went from hating Snape in the first book to appreciating the complexity of his character more than any other in the end.

EDIT:
I would've liked to know more about the veil and the dep. of mysteries too.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Anybody else think the movie will ruin this story?

This book was a lot more atmospheric and the deaths were as well. I know that rarely translates well.

Gerbil

Smash Champion
Good luck to the movie makers lol, trying to turn this book into a movie is going to be extremely tough without tearing up the story.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
If they do the movie good, it should be PG-13 leaning on R. If it is to be emotional enough, or realistic enough, it has to be sort of violent.

Osco316

Mic_128
BRoomer
A crummy world of plot holes and spelling errors
I just finished my second read-through.

The first time through I thought the ending was kind of a letdown after the intensity of the book. But now, I appreciate it much more. It's a nice way to end the series and pretty much solidifies Rowling's idea of love being the strongest type of magic.

As for the ****, I don't know about that. I can see why you might think Ariana was *****, but getting "carried away" can mean a whole bunch of things.

I really liked the fact that Dumbledore's past was talked about, and also how there were so many god**** secrets about it. Rowling hinted at his darker past early on, but kept me in suspense for most of the book.

I don't know if it's my favorite of the series, that's kind of tough for me to decide. It's a really good book though.

Fox_Rocks

Smash Journeyman
I just finished reading this book, after getting it yesterday, and it's pretty darn good. I'm not sure I would call it the best book in the series (I really liked the third one), but it's a least second-best.

Dibs

Smash Lord
The backlash from spiderman 3 fans will be nothing compared to the backlash that the Deathly Hollows movie will get.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
OH YEA! My girlfriend pointed out the significance of the green eyes!

They reminded Snape of Lily's eyes and it reminded him of what he did to the woman he loved, so he protected Harry.

bluezaft

The True Zaft
Just today I was thinking about how Daniel Radcliffe will butcher Harry's little speech in the final showdown. But I think the time constraints won't apply as much to this book--it's a quest story with simple, broad steps leading to the finale. There's much more action in the 7th and that shortens quite a bit in the movie, whereas the 5th is mainly little details thrown in everywhere and developing relationships between different characters.

Sargent_Peach

Smash Journeyman
I don't see how the actor that plays Snape will do him justice in the movie.
I just don't see him "crying" and saying that he always cared for Harry.
It will be a tough job for him, especially with that voice.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Could somebody please clarify what the "Flaw in the Plan" was?

I'm thinking it is either how Dumbledore accidently let Draco earn the allegiance of the Elder Wand, or how Voldemort used Harry's blood to revive himself.
I'm not sure which.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
I think it had to do with that last little speech he had with voldemort, explaining how severus never beat dumbledore, since they had arranged it ahead of time, since Dumbledore had Wizards-Cancer.

leviathan_

Smash Journeyman
The Flaw in the Plan was that Draco defeated Dumbledore, and not Snape. As it turns out, the plan backfired on Voldemort because he (wrongfully) concluded that Snape was the Elder Wand Master. He never knew that Harry defeated Draco in turn to become the Master, which compromises Harry's triumph over Voldemort in the end.

That whole blood rite, with Voldemort getting Harry's blood was not really a plan so much as a strive or desire. This affected Harry's wand, I think. Remember how it responded to Voldemort when he was pursuing Harry across the skies? It acted on its on accord, because Harry's phoenix wand sensed a "kin and an enemy" inside Voldemort. It sensed "kin" because Harry's own blood runs through Voldemort's veins (which therefore has Lily's protection), and it sensed an enemy, obviously. Somehow this made Lily's protection stronger, making the wand do unknown magic.. "golden flames"

I dunno... the book feels incomplete, doesn't it? I wish JK emphasized exactly HOW Lily pulled off that bit of magic.

Che_Lab

Smash Lord
Anyone else think that JKR could of told us a bit more than what she did in the epilogue? I mean all she did was confirm that harry and ginny got together, had 3 kids named albus , james and lily. Oh and ron and hermoine hooked up... and Neville becomes the Herbology professor at Hogwarts.. I was really hoping for more stuff about the rest of the Weasley family and maybe tell us what house albus severus potter got put into.. Comments/Thoughts?

Use tags.

TombStone

Smash Journeyman
Anyone else think that JKR could of told us a bit more than what she did in the epilogue? I mean all she did was confirm that harry and ginny got together, had 3 kids named albus , james and lily. Oh and ron and hermoine hooked up... and Neville becomes the Herbology professor at Hogwarts.. I was really hoping for more stuff about the rest of the Weasley family and maybe tell us what house albus severus potter got put into.. Comments/Thoughts?

Use tags.
No kidding. After Harry killed Voldemort, it just ended. Rowling was kind enough to tell us that like 50 other people died, and that was pretty much it. Harry was sooo tired, that the story just had to end right there. Well wtf happened to Luna? What about the Weasley family? What about pretty much every other character?

You know, she never even told us if Harry became an Auror or not, and that kinda ticked me off. The only character whose occupation was revealed was Neville.

And was it just me, or was Voldemort's death really lame? A wand backfiring...come on, a villain that bad@$$ deserved to go out in some kind of fiery explosion. I was expecting the final duel to be in like the Chamber of Secrets, and after Voldemort exploded (lol, jk) the whole thing would start caving in or something. But instead, Harry freaking monologue-ed him to death.

bluezaft

The True Zaft
Apparently the Potter encyclopedia she's planning on writing is going to have all that information. In an interview she said Harry became the head of the Auror department and Ron worked there too, and Hermione was high up in Magical Law something or other, and the three of them revolutionized the Ministry and "made a new world." You'd think that would be important enough to be in the epilogue, but no, we get Teddy making out with Victoire (who is the daughter of Bill and Fleur).

And I thought Voldemort's death scene was really cool. Harry gave him the chance to repent. Obviously Harry wouldn't have won by sheer power: he's just a normal guy...but with the power of love! Yup. A drawn-out action-packed duel would have cheapened the whole series.

Here's the link to the interview I mentioned (spoilers):

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/19959323/

Oh, and also...
I don't see how the actor that plays Snape will do him justice in the movie.
I just don't see him "crying" and saying that he always cared for Harry.
It will be a tough job for him, especially with that voice.
Alan Rickman is a great actor; he does the best job of all the cast, in my opinion.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
If that's the interview I think it is (I'm too lazy to click on the link) then she said she had originally planned on writing a more detailed epilouge, but it felt too forced, or something like that, and threw it out.

Voldemort's death was amazing. Harry tried to get him to repent and even used Expelliaramus to disarm him. He clearly had no intention of killing Voldemort at all.

Speaking of repenting, I hated how it was said a Horcrux could be destroyed if the one who makes it truely repents for what he's done. The whole book I dreaded Voldemort becoming good. I wanted him to die. Good thing Rowling didn't go with the cheesy ending.

7th movie will fail miserably no matter what. One third of the book was them hiding out in the woods in a tent. I dont want to see that. This book just isn't one that will translate well. Also, I dont think the actors who play Harry, Ron, and Hermione are bad at all. >_>

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Sargent Peach:

Snape didn't love Harry at all. That's why he says "for him? and shoots the patronus. That's part of what made it so hard for him. He loved Lily with everything he had, and then he feels that her son isn't a prejection of her at all, it's just Jame's son, not Lily's. Thats part of what made it so hard for him. But at the end, he sees Lily in Harry's green eyes. His whole life was tragic.

DarkRoom

Smash Ace
Sargent Peach:

Snape didn't love Harry at all. That's why he says "for him? and shoots the patronus. That's part of what made it so hard for him. He loved Lily with everything he had, and then he feels that her son isn't a prejection of her at all, it's just Jame's son, not Lily's. Thats part of what made it so hard for him. But at the end, he sees Lily in Harry's green eyes. His whole life was tragic.
That's absolutely spot on.

I think Snape didn't "love" Harry, but he seemed to reveal he cared for him in the end, if only because he was Lily's son. Snape's complexity as a character was really well done. It never crossed my mind that the doe Patronus was Snape's. haha I figured it would have been like a weasel or skink or something. The whole "man getting fixated on one woman and hating himself/the man she ends up with for the unrequited love" is way too true to real life, unfortunately, ha. Snape should've realized there are loads of women in the world, some of which would have loved to run their hands through his greasy hair. Poor Snape never got laid I bet, no wonder he was a sour creature.

Hmmm, I betcha Bellatrix would've been a f-ing tiger in the sack.

...Anyway...

I don't know why everyone's hating on the epilogue, I thought it was fine. It gave nice closure.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Were we told that Lily had a doe as a patronus in any of the past books? I thought I would've remembered something like that..

And it seemed like the epilogue just took all the couples we knew were going to happen from the 6th book on, mixed-and-matched a bunch of names from characters that didn't survive, and had some light Ron-humor. I didn't think it so much gave closure, but ignored the loose ends that jsut couldn't be answered in one epilogue. It was more of an out for J.K, with the assumption that it may please some people in the process. I didn't care much for the epilogue, but I certainly loved the book as a whole, so I wouldn't begrudge one bad chapter out of the many, many good ones prior to this.

EDIT: Common Yoshi,
I was worried it would be like the end of Austin Powers in Goldmember, when Dr. Evil becomes a good guy. I couldn't have handled a good Voldemort. I wanted him to die, almost as much as I wanted Nigel to die.

Sargent_Peach

Smash Journeyman
Ok, I never said that Snape "loved" Harry, I only said that he cared for him (and that is because he is Lily's son).

I know he is a good actor, but I just don't see it happening. Wasn't he in one of the Die Hard movies, I think the first one, the main bad guy?
Quick question- so is the ring the stone, or is it totally different, or is the stone the stone on the ring? If it is the stone on the ring, then it must be some kind of precious stone, which someone could possibly find. I was confused about that.

D

Deleted member

THE LAST 6 OR 7 PAGES IN THE BOOK ARE THE DUMBEST AND MOST RIDICULOUS PAGES I'VE PROBABLY EVER READ IN A BOOK.

I can see 1-2 years, 3-5 years, maybe even 10.. but 19? what in the absolute ****ing hell was she thinking when she ****ted out of her *** Albus Severus

oh my god that was horrible, it nearly ruined the entire series for me.

all in all, i loved it, i probably read it in 12 hours without stopping

6 PM -> 8 AM.. dinner and small break

let's all forget that horrific chapter and pretend that it never happened. oh my jesus i am a hp nerd.

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
I heard it was one of the best books in the series. Even if the last few pages blewxcore.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Sargent Peach-

I just watched Die Hard last night (the first one).

Quite a coincidence you brought that up. Anyways, if the main bad guy is the same actor as Snape, he gained a ****load of weight and dyed his hair black. I'm not saying it's not true, but I think I would've recognized it. ( The main bad guy named Hans right?)

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Alan Rickman is an acting god. Alan Rickman played the main bad guy in Die Hard AND is Severus Snape. I thought that was common knowledge...

Luigi Ka-master

Smash Lord
That's absolutely spot on.

I think Snape didn't "love" Harry, but he seemed to reveal he cared for him in the end, if only because he was Lily's son. Snape's complexity as a character was really well done. It never crossed my mind that the doe Patronus was Snape's. haha I figured it would have been like a weasel or skink or something. The whole "man getting fixated on one woman and hating himself/the man she ends up with for the unrequited love" is way too true to real life, unfortunately, ha. Snape should've realized there are loads of women in the world, some of which would have loved to run their hands through his greasy hair. Poor Snape never got laid I bet, no wonder he was a sour creature.

Hmmm, I betcha Bellatrix would've been a f-ing tiger in the sack.

...Anyway...

I don't know why everyone's hating on the epilogue, I thought it was fine. It gave nice closure.

Lol...wow.

Anyways...

I'm still too dumb to comprehend that whole deal, someone help. What did shooting a patronus in the shape of a doe signify? And why did that one guy start crying after he did it?

Anyways, I found the book to be pretty awesome. Though of course the ending was a tad...baby-ish. Though having Harry die woulda been pretty dumb and maybe a bit over-kill...lol, get it? She killed everyone except Harry?

I didn't like how she never really seemed to do justice to like any of the death-eaters though. I mean, I guess that part with Belletrix was kinda cool...
she got owned by Mrs.Weasley's dark-arts prowess...good thing Mrs.Weasley is so good at dark-arts...

Then there was Goyle who got destroyed by fire...that was pretty cool. Or was it Crabbe? I don't know..lol

And why didn't Harry ever use Mad Eye's eye for anything cool? He just kinda carried it around in his pocket...or did he do something with it? I don't remember XD.

It was way too good when Percy came back and him and Mr.Weasley fought the minister of magic guy.

And uhh...the part where half of the book was Harry Hermione and Ron wandering around in the forest got kinda old...

yup.

Sargent_Peach

Smash Journeyman
I thought they were the same, its always nice to have Ck shine through with the truth. So anyone have an answer to my previous question about the ring?

I think it will be a long time until that encyclopedia comes out.

Fox_Rocks

Smash Journeyman
Sargent Peach said:
Quick question- so is the ring the stone, or is it totally different, or is the stone the stone on the ring? If it is the stone on the ring, then it must be some kind of precious stone, which someone could possibly find. I was confused about that.
The stone was set in to the ring, if that's what you're asking.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
The whole middle of this book was dragged on way to long for me.

Middle three hundred pages in a nut shell

Hermoine: Does your Scar hurt Harry?!
Harry: It's Fine Hermoine
Hermoine: You should have learned occlumency!!!!
Harry: No! I want to know where he is!

They copy and pasted that like 30 times

Top Bottom