• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

ZoSo

Smash Champion
Stuff I totally called:

-Snape's allegiance and his reason for killing Dumbledore

-The cover art depicts the Great Hall of Hogwarts

-Harry was the final Horcrux (I thought he would die and I guess I was half right about that)

I remember Rowling saying in an interview that a certain character would "manage to perform magic late in their life." I finished the book less than an hour ago and it occurred to me that I couldn't figure out who she'd been referring to. Anybody care to enlighten me? Or is it possible that Rowling's statement was merely a red herring or the remnant of a scrapped subplot?

Also, this book was amazing. A worthy conclusion to the series, to say the least.

anonymous_joe

Smash Apprentice
I personally disliked the epilogue to much was left out
H/G and R/Hr those were obvious what about everything else? No one seems to have noticed that Ron has a drivers license did the wizarding world reveal itself to the muggles that he would have this? Also every other character is not revealed at all. Luna, all of the Weasly's, Hermione's parents, the Dursley's every death eater that escaped, Hagrid, McGonnagal, Teddy how'd he grow up? Was he a werewolf like Lupin had feared? Whose headmaster of the new school? Harry, Ron, Hermione and Ginny, what are their professions? Where do they live? Do they stay in contact with everyone from DA? Does Gringotts get rebuilt or do they make a new one? What happened to the ministry it would have been hard to fix everything and would have required the order's help, what about Aberforth?
So many unanswered questions that I wish she would write another book written in biography format about Harry and everyone else.
And to ZoSo, Rowling said last year at an interview with stephen king and another guy to look out for
Petunia
if that's what your referring to

ZoSo

Smash Champion
I agree with pretty much all of your complaints about the epilogue, Joe.

anonymous_joe

Smash Apprentice
Thank you, I'm really hoping she writes more she said she had problems writing it because she wanted to finish it and I feel it's not yet finished

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Man, I never thought I'd be able to do it, but after being 81st in line out of 1000 at the local borders, I read non stop till finish. It was just so riveting. There were elements in the story that I was glad arose, and my only qualm was with the epilogue.. but in all honesty I'm content with how it ended.

Wuss

Smash Champion
Man, I never thought I'd be able to do it, but after being 81st in line out of 1000 at the local borders, I read non stop till finish. It was just so riveting. There were elements in the story that I was glad arose, and my only qualm was with the epilogue.. but in all honesty I'm content with how it ended.
I whole heartedly agree, I think the epilogue was just dumb, and should have been left out, or done better.

I really can't believe she decided not to kill harry. I thought it was a little iffy whether or not her explanation covered it completely, I'll have to re-read it...

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
It's like painting a beautiful masterpiece, and then signing your name with red spray-paint. I thought it devalued the whole thing a little.

And though this book has taken care of the most loose ends, there are still sooooo many left.

The only good thing that came from the epilogue was Ron's sense of humor. I almsot threw up at the plethora of recycled names. Albus Severus Potter? Pleaasseee...

And anonymous joe,
the thing about ron I'd imagine since Hermione came from non-magical background, maybe they settled down in a non-magical community? At least thanks to the lack of info in the epilogue, it's like the new brawl. We can guess, and conjecture, but we may never know.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I didn't find the epilogue to be that great, but I didn't have a problem with it.
I was expecting it to be simply a list of "Luna became editor of the Quibler and married Nevile, having 16 children", instead of an added story. However, I didn't mind it being otherwise.

Sargent_Peach

Smash Journeyman
I have decided my favorite part was when Snape admitted that he "always" cared for Harry, and there was a tear in his eye.
You have to admit, that was nicely done.

What was the deal with the green eyes? And I thought we were supposed to find out what Dudley saw from the dementors. That didn't happen either.

Zo-
you really were on point with the Snape/Dumbledore relationship
Voldermort really hiding the ring in an unguarded old house, that was crap. And was he the first one in the room of requirements, because he would have seen everyone else's stuff if he wasn't? And I need some clarification, so did Voldermort have his soul into 8 pieces, and what would have happened to Harry if he united all of the Deathly Hallows? Was the ring the stone, or was that a whole different thing?

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Harry DID unite all the Hallows. He had the ring and cloak, and while he wasn't holding the wand of power, it was technically still his since he defeated Draco. But was Harry saved because he had the Hallows, or was he saved because part of himself (something about his blood used in that ritual in Book 4) was in Voldemort? That part confused me a bit.

The stone on the ring was the Hallow. Speaking of Hallows, I absolutely loved their inclusion in the book. Simply fantastic.

I still cant believe Fred and Dobby died. :( Hedwig lol :)

h2ownage

Smash Journeyman
Victoria, Australia. We have Strikers already! For
It was the perfect way to round off the perfect series. Well they're not perfect but I love them even though a few things went unsaid. One big screw up though i think:

Ron opening the Chamber of Secrets passageway by Parseltongue because he can remember Harry saying it. I didn't think it worked like that.
Also...
I
could have sworn I saw J.K. Rowling quote somewhere that an unexpected character would use magic late in the book under desperate circumstances, though nothing of the sort occured.

Snape loving Lily, I called that. I also called Harry being a Horcux, and a knew that The Hog's Head owner was Aberforth.

I thought the epilogue was good, uncluttered by any unnecassary references to minor charcters, just the main three.

Also Fred Weasly dying? Where does that leave George? George is nothing without Fred, he might as well kill himself!

Also J.K. Rowling quoted, (and I am sure this one is true) that something was implemented into the third MOVIE by the director, even though he didn't mean to, which foreshadows something in the 7th book. Anyone know what this could be?

I don't care that Snape has proven where his true loyalty lies, I still see him as a lying, manipulating *******. The parts about Dumbledore's past were very, very interesing I thought.

So where does this leave J.K. Rowling, will she continue to write books do you think? Perhaps a prequel about James' time at school, or Dumbledore's life?

Kitten

Smash Journeyman
Draco naming his kid Scorpion or something
made this book the best of the series.

DarkRoom

Smash Ace
These people I know claimed it's been confirmed that there will be a **** in HP 7. I can't find this anywhere.
Don't know if anyone cares and/or it's been answered, but this is likely from an article at The Onion. They either knew it was fake or have fallen into the trap that so many people have fallen into before, believing satire to be true.

See here: Onion article

Quite hilarious. The Onion always is if you've never read it. Check it out. It's also free in print all over the place, especially at college campuses.

And yes, I know many people have already finished the book and it's almost guaranteed there's no ****. I read the first two chapters late last night before I had to go to bed. I'll hopefully finish it this week when I'm not working.

leviathan_

Smash Journeyman
I finished reading some minutes ago... Deathly Hallows is definitely the BEST Harry Potter book... What an adventure, from start to finish..

Metaknight X

Smash Journeyman
Can't argue there. I think the book really benefited from not being set in the school. It was a good setting for 6 years, but it was getting a bit repetitive...

leviathan_

Smash Journeyman
So many complaints about the epilogue... it was perfect, heartwarming. I was smiling and elated to read it.

...although I re-read some confusing parts as the book was coming to a close.

SPOILER! You've been warned...

How does Harry know Draco had the Elder Wand? Was Dumbledore's wand the elder wand? I'm confused... The Killing Curse backfired once more on Voldemort, finally killing him. Was Voldemort holding the Elder Wand? Or Harry?

Also, how does Neville get hold of the Sword of Gryffindor, when Griphook the goblin is suppose to have stolen it?

Oh, by the way, I'm also thrilled that some of my theories (that MOST people) argued against, were correct:

-
Harry is a Horcrux.. meaning Voldemort split his soul into eight, but.. does that piece of soul within Harry ever die? Shame Dumbledore knew, EXACTLY how that scar on Harry's Head got there, and all about it. But when Voldemort initially uses the AK on Harry in the Forbidden Forest, does Harry survive either because Voldemort killed off his own piece of soul within Harry, or because he (supposedly) has the Elder Wand, and that the Elder Wand would not kill its Master Harry?

-
One of Voldemort's Horcrux was a Ravenclaw object. It was a tiara, or a diadem. It's hiding place (which I admittedly and proudly boast about) was also correct... the Room of Requirement.. . AND I was also right that Riddle hid it there either immediately before or after visiting Dumbledore for a job.

And finally, some awesome stuff J.K. so awesomely included:

Neville killing Nagini with Gryffindor's Sword
The Deathly Hallows! The Elder Wand, Resurrection Stone, and the CLOAK OF INVISIBILITY! Who would've thought Harry's Cloak was that very same cloak, making him a descendant of the Peverells, whose three legendary brothers made the items? And therefore also the Gaunts? AND therefore tying him to the Slytherins? Harry.. the rightful owner of the Hallows, the Master of Death? Awesome stuff.. Dumbledore was truly a genius giving Harry the Ring aka containing the Stone, that would resurrect the memories of his parents to solid human forms, to give him strength to walk right into Voldemort's campsight..

..Snape IS a good guy! Dumbledore's man.. he was right to trust him! He gets killed by Voldemort via Nagini, and Harry finally accepts Snape as a true hero..

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Anybody remember that
"Stoppered Death" theory I posted? It was sort of right.

But really, everybody should stop saying- "I called that!", it's pissing me off, because everything has been called, everything has gone through everyones mind at one point, and just because you voiced your thoughts doesn't make you a psycic.

And who DIDN'T know Aberforth was the barman? I mean, c'mon, that's nothing to boast about.

But anyway, I thought the book was AMAZING. By far my favorite, I had no problems with the Epilouge, it was the perfect emotional ending.

Two things I am confused about have already been mentioned:

-
How did Neville get the sword?

-
How was Draco at one point the Elder Wand's master? wtf?

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
-
How did Neville get the sword?

-
How was Draco at one point the Elder Wand's master? wtf?
I was wondering about the sword as well. There never is a real explaination, is there so we just have to guess. I'm going to assume wizards>>>>stupid goblins.

Draco was the master because he disarmed Dumbledore before Snape killed him. He used that Expeliramaus (sp?) attack, but it flew out of the tower and was burried with Dumbledore.

leviathan_

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the whole
Elder Wand's...
clarification..

But..

That still doesn't explain how Harry became its Master.

Does Harry becomes the Master when he disarms Draco in his manor? ..But that obscures the question of whether the Master (Draco) must be holding the Elder Wand for the transfer of the Master recognition thing to occur. As stated in the book, the wand was buried with Dumbledore.. so Harry picked up Draco's own wand at the time (when Harry and friends got kidnapped)..

OH BTW, the Onion article mentioned some posts up, about the "****" reminded me that this actually (possibly) might've happened...

Dumbledore's sister Ariana could've been "violated" by the three Muggle boys who brutalized her. As far as I recall, there was nothing to indicate the nature of how she was done in. She could've been *****.. I dunno. ..which distorted her magic.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Just looked it up.

He pulled it from the Sorting Hat.

I must have missed that the first time through, but still, did it just disappear from the goblin?

leviathan_

Smash Journeyman
He pulled it from the Sorting Hat.

Oh yeah.. I forgot that it can do that.. >_>, after the second book.. It probably sensed
Neville was in danger
, and activated.

here's more..

So the Sword dissapeared from Griphook the goblin. UNLESS Griphook was the goblin Voldemort killed when Griphook told him that Hufflepuff's Cup was stolen from Gringotts...

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
I'm just so confused by the logic that follows the whole wand transfer thing. By some of the logic presented, wouldn't most of the students who ever used a disarming spell be masters of others wands?

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Well, I meant like how Harry became the rightful master of Draco's without killing him.
Although the Elder Wand was confusing, I followed the progression pretty well I think.
I just think that it may have made some plot holes in the HP Universe.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Voldy: U die now lol kthnx
Harry: brb lol
Voldy: zomg, wtf!? hax
Harry: All ur horcrux are belong to me lolz
Voldy: noes!

Nevile: MAH HEAD IS ON FIYAH! D:
Nagini: Sss..sss...I be's a snake
Neville: sword in yur head, lolz.
Nagini: D:

From GFAQs. Don't know why I thought those were so funny.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
That... Is just tooo funny. I remember thinking the "All your horcrux are belong to me!" when I was reading. gamefaqs has their moments, but I tend to steer clear lol.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
I think the Master concept is unique to the Elder Wand. It has to be.
Nah, remember how Harry was unable to use the wand Ron gave him? It's because he didnt rightfully steal it. It applies to all wands.

I think a wand can be mastered by dozens of wizards at a time as long as they have proven themselves.

But didn't that blonde guy STEAL the Elder Wand from that wandmaker guy? How did he master it then?

Illos

Smash Apprentice
Nah, remember how Harry was unable to use the wand Ron gave him? It's because he didnt rightfully steal it. It applies to all wands.

I think a wand can be mastered by dozens of wizards at a time as long as they have proven themselves.

But didn't that blonde guy STEAL the Elder Wand from that wandmaker guy? How did he master it then?
He stunned (or did some other spell) Gregarovitch and left with the wand. It is also possible that Gregarovitch was never the true master of the wand and that Grindelwald had already defeated the actual master prior to the incident.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
I've gotta say, I may be stumped on that one. I can't imagine stealing being any different from getting it from someone else. Back to go read a few chapters over >_>

EDIT:
you beat me to the punch. I was thinknig that maybe Gregs was never the true master, but wanted to look it up first. I think he was stunned during the theft thoguh, so that could do it...

leviathan_

Smash Journeyman
CommonYoshi - But like Ollivander said, a wizard can use ANY wand. You obviously don't have to a "Master" of a wand to use it, therefore, just as Harry was able to use the Ron's stolen wand (Harry WAS able to use it, its elements simply weren't "compatible" with him like the phoenix core wand is).. or Voldemort was able to use the Elder Wand itself without being its Master.

About Gregorovitch, we don't know if he was the Master or not. Why? Because even if Grindelwald "defeated" him by Stunning him and taking the Elder Wand, Grindelwald still couldn't be sure if it is the Elder Wand - because we don't even know if Gregorovitch merely took it or found it. But we can guess that it was Gregorovitch who probably was its Master, nobody else is mentioned... The important thing is, Grindelwald became the Master of the Elder Wand and then Dumbledore defeated him somehow, locking him up in his own prison - which eventually made Dumbledore, Draco (disarming Dumbledore up in the Tower), and THEN Harry Potter (disarming Draco in his own house) in that order become Master.

bluezaft

The True Zaft
Just go to Wikipedia.

And good lord, can't we just say "spoilers" in the title so we don't have to discuss everything in blacked-out letters?

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
check on wikipedia, i've heard their synopsis is pretty good. THERE IS SO MUCH CRAMMED INTO 759 PAGES!

EDIT: Bluezaft submitted before me. I concede.

leviathan_

Smash Journeyman
Anyone notice this?

Tonk's and Lupin's orphaned son Ted would be 19 years old in the Epilogue, 19 years later.. too old to go to Hogwarts... I change my mind - when many people say the epilogue was poorly written/edited.. I agree with them.

Bluezaft, that is a no-no. Hence the title "USE SPOILER TAGS"

Gerbil

Smash Champion
Anyone notice this?

Tonk's and Lupin's orphaned son Ted would be 19 years old in the Epilogue, 19 years later.. too old to go to Hogwarts... I change my mind - when many people say the epilogue was poorly written/edited.. I agree with them.
I liked it but... I have to agree, I think she just got lazy towards the end. 19 is 2 years after the Hogwarts graduation... seems like Jo has got some major explaining to do.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I liked it but... I have to agree, I think she just got lazy towards the end. 19 is 2 years after the Hogwarts graduation... seems like Jo has got some major explaining to do.
If you read further, it says that he was just there to see Victorie off. Not that he was going to the school

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Just finished. Really great book, but I hated
making Harry a SEVENTH horcrux when there were only supposed be six. But, it resolved quite well.

The whole fight with Harry and Voldemort was great writing. It showed Harry grew as a person and not just as a wizard and he used "Expelliarmus" yet again. Nice touch.

The death count was quite high and shocking compared to the other books. The 3 previous books had 1 person close to Harry die, this had closer to 10, counting Scrimgoer. Snape's death and redemption was an excellent touch.

There was a **** in the book and it was very subtle. When Aberforth explains the three muggles attacking Arianna he doesn't say they beat her, but they do something so horrible that she can never do magic again and it builds up inside of her.

I think the person who would do Magic that we didn't expect was Molly Weasel. She did KILL Bellatrix. On that same note, I loved how Dudley was redemned in the end. Great addition.

Finally, the Epilogue was good to me. Neville was touched upon as he was there in all 7 books. Luna was only in 3 and if you go in depth with her, then there are tons more. Teddy Tonks was 19 and he was seeing a Victoire off. I did like the Albus Severus addition as well. It's expected that people will rip up the epilogue to a great story though.

Also, did anyone really feel that J.K. Rowling was pouring a ton of emotion in here?
With the death of Dobby, she went into such great detail it was obvious that she was hurting.
She also "Thanked God" a lot more than any book combined. Hopefully she didn't go Christian like Anne Rice. Lastly, I loved Kreacher in this one.

Top Bottom