• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hardest Luigi Technique?

Tharn

Smash Rookie
Well, I've been playing Luigi full time since Melee came out, and, even in the first one I was the green man. Now though, it's been a whole new game. I can wave dash and short hop and then attack, I can short hop and wave dash when I hit the ground. Basically, I can wave dash and short hop and maniuplate both to the fullest. I can also chain grab+wd very well. I just want to know what you all think are the hardest things to do so I have something to practice.

Gkryptonite

Smash Journeyman
One of the hardest techniqes is tapping the B button for Luigi's cyclone recovery. Also another thing you can practice is the ledge hop waveland, pretty hard to time and risky but with practice, it is very useful.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Ledgehop waveland is actually pretty easy. Usually I prefer to wait a sec for the airdodge so I don't die...

My last tourney I killed myself twice by airdodging too quickly to the edge and got 1 stocked...

hockey007

Smash Cadet
I think it's the dair spike, but I don't find it that useful, sometimes it messes with me too >_<, I suggest you get the recovery thing trained, that's really useful but really hard as well.

nublet06

Smash Lord
im just going to list some hard/useful/dangerous/flashy things to do.

ledgehop waveland from the edge is dangerous. but is also vital to you being good.

a cool thing i love to do is a wavedash forward tilt, and after the tilt turn around with the joystick and edgehog all in the same wavedash. i <3 stuff like that.

tornado is hard for some people.

taunt and butt spike :p

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
Depends how specific you wanna get, but the cyclone probably is the most demanding because it's absurdly different from the kind of delicacy that most Smash techniques demand. I was trying to get a full rising cyclone out of a edge-teched walljump the other day.

It doesn't work so well. :)

Aftermath

Smash Champion
Edgehop wavedashing isn't dangerous at all, you just have to not angle it down at all. Airdodging straight onto the stage is a bit harder to time at first, but if you do it too early and don't make it on, you're high enough to where you will regrab the edge. So not only does it help you wavedash farther onstage, but if you mess up you can just try it again.

nublet06

Smash Lord
Edgehop wavedashing isn't dangerous at all, you just have to not angle it down at all. Airdodging straight onto the stage is a bit harder to time at first, but if you do it too early and don't make it on, you're high enough to where you will regrab the edge. So not only does it help you wavedash farther onstage, but if you mess up you can just try it again.
OR ELSE YOU DIE

sounds pretty dangerous to me.

im willing to bet its the reason for 75%+ of all advanced play luigi suicides. unless they die trying to ledgehop tornado, that happens a lot too.

ppa0

Smash Journeyman
O i was trying the "ka-master" chain grabbing... lol jk anyways, id say chain grabing fox when he DI's is pretty hard... cuz its = up throw -> turn around wavedash -> JC grab, and repeat

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
Dash A linked up with Up+B. I have a hard time pulling off when I want to.

Also, I can't stand it when Luigi Rocket backfires on short stages like Game & Watch's Flatzone level. This more than likely results in my death.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Dash A linked up with Up+B. I have a hard time pulling off when I want to.

Also, I can't stand it when Luigi Rocket backfires on short stages like Game & Watch's Flatzone level. This more than likely results in my death.
You shouldn't do Dash-A at all. Your opponent can easily shield, then grab you once its done. ;)

KrF2

Smash Cadet
Probably Dair spike, but you get used to doing it eventually.
WD walking(WD back hold forward,WD backward repeat)
Powershield into WD
WD into Powershield
Powershield into jump
WD under SHHFLers and upb
Cyclone Recovery(full)
Dair spike

Eggz

Smash Hero
The only thing Luigi has that is even remotely tech heavy is the Down B recovery, which also happens to be like the only thing in the game I can't do. XD

Jekyll

Smash Ace
The only thing Luigi has that is even remotely tech heavy is the Down B recovery, which also happens to be like the only thing in the game I can't do. XD
...but...
that's easy.

I'd more likely die trying to WD or tornado from the edge than I would not gain height from the tornado recovery. Even beginners can usually break even, which is enough to gain at least an inch of horizontal distance(you don't have to go completely vertical).

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
There's a pretty big difference in terms of what the cyclone can do for you horizontally and what it can do for you vertically, I'd say. The full tornado is not easy.

Eggz

Smash Hero
I'm not terribly good at button mashing, Jekyll, unfortunatly my style is deprived of such things. >=P

Although I can do Mario's nearly perfectly, but thats basically equal to doing a crappy Luigi one.

KrF2:

Powershielding into stuff isn't "Luigi's hardest technique" as it isn't Luigi specific.

Also, the D-air spike is more about spacing, and doesnt take tech skill. Get wiffda program.

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
I think you may just be defining the terminology too sharply. A "technique" doesn't necessarily have to take tech skill and something that isn't Luigi-specific doesn't necessarily mean it isn't his most difficult technique. Non character-specific tactics vary greatly in difficulty when you switch the character doing it. Samus SHFFL's versus Mario SHFFL's are an excellent example; same technique, sure, but vastly different in every way but name.

Eggz

Smash Hero
Thats a good example and point. I just thought it might be more entertaining to debate luigi specific tactics exclusively. I got *****. T_T Canada is too good.

KrF2

Smash Cadet
I'm not terribly good at button mashing, Jekyll, unfortunatly my style is deprived of such things. >=P

Although I can do Mario's nearly perfectly, but thats basically equal to doing a crappy Luigi one.

KrF2:

Powershielding into stuff isn't "Luigi's hardest technique" as it isn't Luigi specific.

Also, the D-air spike is more about spacing, and doesnt take tech skill. Get wiffda program.
luigi's Coin jump goes higher than Mario's or docs. Luigi Cyclone goes as high as his Coin jump which is higher than marios Coin jump.

KrF2

Smash Cadet

KrF2:

WD is a luigi tech ...

Spoon Man

Smash Apprentice
a trick to being good at rising tornado: Play Mario Party. I think 1, 3, and 4 have the most "MASH THIS BUTTON OR DIE" minigames.

I remember the thwomp one where you have to mash the a button repeatedly in order to get the most thwomps. Basically keep playing that minigame until you can reach 200+ thwomps with any finger and you'll be set for life (at least I was).
also hardest luigi tech is platform cancelling a misfire. I saw ka do it in a video once.
then again, it's not really a tech, just something that can randomly happen >.>

Dory..?

Smash Apprentice
a trick to being good at rising tornado: Play Mario Party. I think 1, 3, and 4 have the most "MASH THIS BUTTON OR DIE" minigames.

I remember the thwomp one where you have to mash the a button repeatedly in order to get the most thwomps. Basically keep playing that minigame until you can reach 200+ thwomps with any finger and you'll be set for life (at least I was).
also hardest luigi tech is platform cancelling a misfire. I saw ka do it in a video once.
then again, it's not really a tech, just something that can randomly happen >.>
How very True........those games are perfect for it thats how i learned it, but still cant get full but one day it will come..........:mad:

C 3

Smash Ace
I would say the cyclone recovery. Most of his other techniques can be mastered by straight forward practice, or being able to read your opponent and acting accordingly. His cyclone, on the other hand, is something that would take more than a week of continuous practice, it takes speed and muscle development. I'm not trying to say it's a workout, but you get my drift :)

Micheloxx

Smash Ace
guys i think, making up b in the correct moment is the hardest move, because u can justpractice WdD to edge, things like that, but making up B in cthe correct moment is the hardest luigi move.

RedYoshi92

Smash Lord
IMO it's luigi's cyclone recovery because you have to have really fast fingers in order to do it

Wayland

Smash Journeyman
Down-b recovery. All the other one's people have brought up are hard, but down-b recovery is incredibly difficult. I've gotten to the point where I can gain a smidgen of height, and that's taken a huge amount of work. I've still got so far to go.

Stryk9

Smash Journeyman
i comepletely gave up on luigi but yeah down b recovery is jsut insane

i would hoenstly have to do muscular finger training with like weights to be able to click that fast

Top Bottom