• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Harder Edge Guarding and Possible Answer to the Wait?

BuSHiDo

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure if these two things have been mentioned or discussed, but lately each thread is about 500 pages long and it would take anyone forever to search through all that so hopefully this isn't pointless and I hope you all understand if it is.

1. I noticed something in this video here...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=iLgIGVCHcEY

At exactly 6:07 in the video, you'll notice that Link is off the right side of the stage and he does his UP-B to recover. If you look closely, he doesn't grab the ledge on the way down from his UP-B, but rather on the way up. Does this mean the game automatically sweet spots it for you, even if you UP-B from to close to the ledge? Your UP-B is supposed to finish out it's animation and it's height, and THEN grab the ledge. If this is something new to Brawl, this could mean a lot of people are going to have a much harder time edge guarding, because everyone recovering is going to be sweet spotting it automatically. I don't exactly like this idea, but let me know what you guys think. Is what I'm pointing out what I think it is, or am I seeing it wrong? Do you think an auto sweet spot helps or hurts the fun of the game?

2. I know a lot of people (including myself) are really bummed out about the new release date. I know there has been talk of a downloadable demo on the shop channel, and plenty have shot down that idea saying it's too big a file and it really wouldn't be in Nintendo's best interest business-wise. Well, I was thinking of a potential solution that will not only please a lot of fans, but will also be a very good business move on Nintendo's part.

What if for the November 12th release of Super Mario Galaxy, they include a bonus disc of the Brawl demo?

Here are the main reasons I think this would be a good move.

1. It's another Nintendo title, so they'd be advertising one of their games, through another one of their games... win-win.
2. Galaxy is another highly anticipated game, so the Brawl demo would reach a lot of people.
3. People who didn't really plan on getting Galaxy might think twice now if it means they'll get their hands on the Brawl demo.
4. People who buy Galaxy that weren't really planning on getting Brawl might try it out and realize they want to buy Brawl in February.
5. The release date of Galaxy gives Nintendo just enough time to mass produce copies of the demo and include them with the purchase of Galaxy.

Worst case scenario, nobody who buys Galaxy will be tempted to buy Brawl after trying out the demo, nobody who is waiting for Brawl buys Galaxy just to play the demo, and they wasted money on all those extra discs for the demo.

Best case scenario, some of the people who buy Galaxy try out the Brawl demo and now want to buy it when they didn't really care before, all the hardcore Smash fans go out and buy Super Mario Galaxy even though they didn't plan on buying it at all, and Nintendo makes a lot more money.

Your thoughts?

Vegard

Smash Lord
Good find. Link really grabs the ledge easily there >_>... Hmz. Wonder how the edge guards will work out. Maybe you will have to be extremely offensive off the ledge in this game..

JJJ

Smash Rookie
Good idea with the demo. That could definitely work in Nintendo's best interests.

Kooichi

Smash Journeyman
Awesome Find! Man, Sora is doing an excellent job with Brawl. Looks like the causal players will have a much better shot to beat the advanced players :D

Harder Edge Guarding
Jump after Air Dodge

EPIC =D

Also your idea for the Demo is really smart and I'd be so happy if they did that!

Demon Kirby

Smash Champion
This could kind of suck for characters like Fox. Fire Fox from an angle, about to hit the oponent if they were too slow, and you grab the edge instead. :ohwell:

This could kind of suck for characters like Fox. Fire Fox from an angle, about to hit the oponent if they were too slow, and you grab the edge instead. :ohwell:
Contrary to your belief, that's actually a good tactic considering that Fox's Up-B cancel only occurs when you approach the edge from a Verticle downward angle or a Horizontal downward angle.

Fire Fox is worthless as an attack itself.

@ Kooichi

No, it won't work that way. There is more to smash than techniques.

raphtmarqui

Smash Lord
Yeah, Diddy Kong does the auto sweet spot to in the IGN videos. Im not sure if it will help or hurt the game yet. Im leaning towards help because ur going to sweep spot it anyway so it just takes out room for error.

BuSHiDo

Smash Apprentice
I think it will help in certain situations, but hurt in others. For example, I use YL, and this could go for Link as well, sometimes when I'm recovering, my opponent gets close to the edge to edge guard, so instead of trying to sweet spot, I UP-B in a way that my last and most powerful swing of the sword hits my opponent, giving me time to grab the ledge and safely recover. Now it seems as though that couldn't work from underneath. It definitely will help a lot with characters who have easily readable recoveries or who have recoveries that are harder to sweet spot with.

Regarding the idea for the demo, how could we attempt to make it happen? If there was ever a chance at getting Nintendo to do something the fans ask for, this seems like the one that has their best interest in mind over any other thing we've ever wanted to ask for. Even if there is a 5% chance we'd get them to do it, I think it'd be worth a try. Any ideas?

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
Edgehogging looks much easier too. Sonic does a Roll into edgehog and a DownB into edgehog. So edgeguarding my not be that much harder.

BuSHiDo

Smash Apprentice
Really? Someone already noticed Link's recovery and someone already thought of the Galaxy thing?? Could you provide a link, cuz I couldn't find any and I'd like to read it. Plus, it's not like my topics are so specific that you could search and find easily. I mean how many pages of posts would come up if you searched edge guard or brawl demo?

Edit - Ok, I noticed a thread that just said "it would be cool if Super Mario Galaxy came with a Brawl demo." but the thread was put up last night and I posted mine yesterday morning.

Edit #2 - Ok, now I found one earlier than mine. It was hidden in hundreds of pages of stuff. Well, this just means that other people thought of it because it must be a pretty practical idea. We should really try to see if we can do something about it.

Edit #3 - Still can't find anything about Link's auto sweet spot.

Mama

Smash Ace
Well Link's auto sweet spot is in the thread with "Mechanics of recovery moves changed" thread which is a really good read.

I think that this would be really interesting for the game and give more strategies to players. Does this mean that casual players stand a better chance against the core smashers? Nope. We still think different ways. Its not all about techniques.

Youkai Master

Smash Apprentice
Characters jump much higher and their up-b's are much higher now it seems... so it works both ways: safer ways to get back to the stage <---> safer ways to go out of the stage to edgeguard.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Just wanted to add to this thread.

That could be true, which would force more aerial combat like Sakurai wanted.
Contrary to your belief, that's actually a good tactic considering that Fox's Up-B cancel only occurs when you approach the edge from a Verticle downward angle or a Horizontal downward angle.

Fire Fox is worthless as an attack itself.

@ Kooichi

No, it won't work that way. There is more to smash than techniques.

Andrew Ott

Smash Journeyman
Actually, after giving this some time of thought, I think that it'd be more difficult for the recovering person. I mean, say you wanted to go the stage, but you grab it? The only way to do that would be missing the edge entirely, or if someone was ledgehogging. For example, C. Falcon benefits more from landing on the stage than grabbing the edge.

I hope it's just for special moves, because if it does this on double jumps too, that means the ledgehopping system is different. *adds to list of things needed to be examined at E for All*

BuSHiDo

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I see what you are saying. It's just hard to picture making changes like that as a way of making it "better." I think most people feel that Melee is near perfect in its mechanics so I can see how a lot of people are worried and skeptical about changing things about the mechanics of the gameplay.

soaz

Smash Ace
Good find. Link really grabs the ledge easily there >_>... Hmz. Wonder how the edge guards will work out. Maybe you will have to be extremely offensive off the ledge in this game..
Sakurai did say that he wanted to improve the air game and off the ledge is in the air:p.That would be a good way to improve. This doesnt seem to apply for jumps look at 4:23 in this vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Nyx7RxUumE sonic seems to get like halfway to making it to the stage but he doesnt grab the stage until he falls a little bit.

darkhamsterlord

Smash Apprentice
if anyone knows the proper e-mail adress to e-mail that demo idea to, they should send it in!

It certainly worked for the Halo 3 demo on Crackdown.

And if they're afraid that people will be satisfied just playing the demo, and not get Brawl, they could limit the demo time, just like they did with Halo 3

Top Bottom