• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hard Knuckle: The Palm of a Thousand Truths

Peabnut Bubber

Smash Cadet
NNID
Peabnut124
3DS FC
2449-4746-6273
On stage, many people wouldn't think to use Dair. Laggy, strict vertical hitbox, and it can even get reflected back at you since it is a projectile. It seems like an all around bad move, right?

Well, like everything in Mega Man's arsenal, there's more to it if you dig a little deeper.

Firstly, Hard Knuckle can be auto cancelled. The minimum height needed to auto cancel would require the full height of Mega Man's short hop followed by his double jump. You want to auto cancel every time you are on a stage without platforms. We'll talk about platforms later.

"Okay, big whoop, you can auto cancel Dair." Well, it is a pretty big whoop since you can now follow it up with another move. "Which move?"

Up tilt

"Oh."

That's right. Hard Knuckle combos into Mega Upper. It combos into other moves as well, and depending on stage position, these can be kill combos. I've tested some %s on a level 9 Jigglypuff as well as a human player, and here is what I have:

Dair > Sweet spotted Up tilt (~30% - 35%)
Dair > Sour spotted Up tilt (~30% - 71%)
Dair > Up smash (~40% - 65%)
Dair > Fair (~48% - 93%)
Dair > Bair (~37% - 100%)
Dair > Pellets (Once Dair starts knocking people down, you can Lemon Lock them if they miss the tech)

Let's talk about some cool stuff. Hovering. Hard Knuckle allows you to hover for a short amount of time. Everyone already knew this, but lemme tell you about the application it has with platforms. Battlefield, specifically.

One can stand atop one of the two side platforms, use the hovering granted by Dair to shoot your fist in-between the middle platform and the side platform, and choose to land on either platform. It may not seem like much, but if you connect with Dair and your opponent gets popped up into the air, you can land on the top platform and Up smash/Up tilt.
I find this works best against aggressive characters with a good air game.

There's one last technique I'd like to share. If an opponent goes for the ledge, hit them with a single pellet. They will miss the ledge, and you have the opportunity to go in for a quick Dair meteor smash if they try to double jump to it from below the lip of the stage.

All in all, Hard Knuckle is a risky move. You have to be accurate, smart, and patient in order for it to work. This, I believe is what Mega Man is all about.

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
I'm definitely going to play around with this!

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Good write up, like the edge move with the lemon. Nice

Kel

Smash Master
At the tournament last weekend I found myself full hop dairing to fast falling over top of people and it connecting into lots of fun things (like Utilt and bair).

Also, I just want to say this in case it hasn't been said out loud:
If you hold down on the C stick when doing a dair MM will stop all momentum and hover.
If you flick the C stick you can still travel to the left and right while performing the move.
You can also mix in a little of both by jumping left or right, holding down on the C stick momentarily, and then releasing after a couple of frames to continue on your flight path.

The above is important when wall jumping near a ledge into dair spike.

Top Bottom