• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Half-Life 2 (Including the Orange Box) Mystery Portal Update!

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
I had to read your detailed explanation a few times to understand it but I get it now, thanks Sensai!

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Personally I think Snipers without the SMG are easy targets, Valve made things a little better for them by removing the speed penalty from the Razorback but before the nerf even if a Sniper saw you next to him you could just backpeddle and shoot him as he tries to chop you, since you're faster than he is. Without the SMG you can just kite Snipers all you want as long as no one is a around.

I liked the Jarate at first but after a while it just didn't seem worth it compared to being able to defend yourself more efficiently.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
TF2 gets closed beta

http://kotaku.com/5329337/team-fortress-2-gets-new-closed-beta-for-better-testing

"In the future, hopefully they will, with the creation of a new "closed beta" for the game. Incorporating members of serious TF2 clans, it'll be used as a testbed for future changes made to the title, so that Valve can get an idea of how an alteration affects not just the mass playerbase, but the pointy, hardcore end of it as well.

Clans from both Europe and North America will be involved, with the testers rumoured to be taking a look at how tweaks can be made to the Sandman. There are even whispers of a flame-resistant suit for the Spy..."

And i've decided to switch my razorback for the SMG because I want to be able to defend myself more efficiently. (cause the knife is only good for close range obv...)

Superstar

Smash Champion
SMG isn't bad at all. Its not particularly great, but in some situations its better than Jarate. I see Jarate being better in comp play than SMG though, and that's saying something.

And I still lol at the TF2 is bad for comp play comments. Its inferior to Quake, obviously, but not much else. Beats out most modern FPSs hands down competitively. Now, if only they'll add strafe jumping to the TF2 beta, I love that in Quake. XD So soothing.

And Sensai, Solly is a joke term for Soldier. It really means nothing other than an affectionate kiddy word for Soldier.

Superstar

Smash Champion
Strafe jumping. It uses the movement quirks in Quake in order to gain speed. Its usually a repetitive motion that involves jumping forward while holding strafe. You can alternate with 1 beats by doing left jump->right jump->left jump, or do a 2 beat by doing left jump->left jump -> right jump -> right jump. The later is better for corners. You could also use circle jumping and certain uses of it to make some really good jumps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g24fe4bwu0

First jump is a circle jump, the rest are 1 beat jumps. I just learned this yesterday for Quake Live, but its so addictive that I can't resist trying to do it in TF2. If I remember, it used to exist, or a variant did, and it was patched out.

EDIT: And Jarate is a better team weapon. Why its better for scrims, where people work together a lot more than pubs.

kigbariom

Smash Lord
I have had it now for 1 full week, and wow, Team Fortress 2 is the best game I've ever played online.

I think I've played for 45 hours so far. It's amazing.

Also, that new update on TF2.com with all the source for their new map making kits was nice.

Anyone into Source SDK?

kigbariom

Smash Lord
Oh the jokes Valve is going to pull with a mute and deaf person. If only Eli was still alive for a handicapped party.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
New Team Fortress 2 Update Features 18 Hats, Zero Class

"There's a new Team Fortress 2 update coming down the pike, full of fancy hats and new maps. Not coming? A new class update. The game's latest changes feature absolutely no class.

Hats? Those they got in spades up there at Valve, with 18 new pieces of headwear coming to the class of your choice, including a Viking helmet for the Soldier, an ushanka for the Heavy and a fire... person's helmet for the Pyro. Valve also offers a brief history of the hat in today's update. So informative!

That update will also feature at least one new map, Offblast, an Arena-style community made map set in a missile silo which itself is set in a mountain. Crazy!"

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
I wonder what the medals will do? I'm thinking that they'll unlock a hat or something for those lucky enough to snag one?

kr3wman

Smash Master
Just dropping by to tell you guys that I can rocket jump consistently now!

Like just 5 minutes ago on the ramp to the final point on granary, I rocket jump over the other soldier and his medic, shoot two rockets to kill the medic and dmg the soldier, as soon as I land shoot the third one to kill him, and a crit rocket to the demo/engineer inside the building.

First time I didn't completely rage over the game and its randomness.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I can never pull it off and got no idea how. Aim at the ground and shoot, fail. Aim at the ground, jump and shoot, fail. Aim at the ground, jump and at max hight shoot, fail. Bah!

4% APR

Smash Champion
i think its like crouch, jump then shoot. But you do it really fast to the point where its pretty much all at the same time.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I find that it's better to jump first and then crouch in the air so you keep your momentum for longer jumps.

Shake~

Smash Journeyman
I can't seem to get as much distance with rocket jumps anymore. Is it just me?

4% APR

Smash Champion
im pretty sure they did change the mechanic a bit or something because i thought the same thing and then i heard some people talking about how they changed it. Im not sure what they actually changed at all though.

And maybe you do crouch after the jump, its so second nature to me that im not even really sure in which order i press them lol.

Sensai

Smash Master
They did change it, but I think that they've changed it back. I haven't been playing too much TF2 so I don't know...I just remember reading that somewhere.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Is it me or did the update kinda screw up frame rates? It just never feels smooth even on 24 slot servers on normal maps, I might look into overclocking my GPU and CPU but apart from this and GTA4 [and Crysis but I don't have that anyway] I can max out everything with a smooth frame rate as it.

Superstar

Smash Champion
They screwed up rocket jumping a bit back, now they fixed it.

To rocket jump you pretty much just look down, and jump and shoot at almost the same time. More of jump then shoot, but almost instantly. If you happen to be holding crouch before you rocket jump [press and hold after jumping], you'll get more air.

Also, depending on where you shoot the rocket you can go between "perfect jumps", long jumps, really long jumps, and wall jumps [Both off the wall and perfect->off the wall].

I wish more Soldiers rocket jumped in pubs so I could airshot more often. If I'm on say crates, I spam the Soldier hoping they'll jump but they don't jump. ;_;

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
Is it me or did the update kinda screw up frame rates? It just never feels smooth even on 24 slot servers on normal maps, I might look into overclocking my GPU and CPU but apart from this and GTA4 [and Crysis but I don't have that anyway] I can max out everything with a smooth frame rate as it.
Yeah it's been happening recently with me too. I used to run TF2 at a constant 60 fps, but now it fluctuates between 30-60.

Shake~

Smash Journeyman
I don't think the updates ever screwed up my FPS. I've always been minimum on Directx8 anyways with about 50-60 constant. Need to get a better graphics card then my 9400 GT. Nvidia sure knows how to be confusing with it's series at times, at least to me.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Team Fortress 2 Non-cheaters Get Halos

http://kotaku.com/5351363/team-fortress-2-honesty-will-be-rewarded-with-halos

"That's why nefarious TF2 players who cheated their way toward securing unlockable hatwear will be stripped of those items. The good guys, however, will be rewarded.

As noted on the official Team Fortress 2 blog, any player who employed a third-party idling application to obtain unlockables will lose those items over the next few days. That's less than 5% of players, fortunately. The other 95% or so, they'll get halos,"

Top Bottom