• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Hackless" Project M on Dolphin - Pre-Loaded SD Files

xbeton0L

Smash Rookie
I have pre-created many of the files you must make in order to load and play Project M on Dolphin to make it easier for those of you just getting started.

#### - Make sure to follow this tutorial for any additional instructions. - ####
Installing Project M on Dolphin: Tutorial

With these files you will not need the Easy SD image maker or WinImage. I have already done those steps for you.
The version of Project M being used is the "Hackless" zip. You can still load it through Gecko OS.

The files are as follows.

An empty 2GB "sd.raw" file. This 11KB file WILL >>expand<< to 2GB once uncompressed.
This is if you want to custom-load an sd.raw file your own way. You will need WinImage.
-- www.mediafire.com/download/tybnigyqyjr7x32/

Similar to above, a 2 GB SD file pre-loaded with Project M. Unzip and place in the proper directory.
You do not need to download the blank SD files, WinImage or Project M by downloading this.
-- www.mediafire.com/download/a9ul3f05fu77hf0/ - (300 MB)
A 1 GB SD file pre-loaded with Project M.
-- www.mediafire.com/download/47cg763pj8dafmc/ - (300 MB)

Optional SD Card files.
-- An empty 1 GB "sd.raw" file. Compressed.
-- -- www.mediafire.com/download/3m5rc2a88s2b1d9/Raw%20SD%20(1GB).rar
-- An empty 512 MB "sd.raw" file. Compressed. (Note this will not hold Project M.)
-- -- www.mediafire.com/download/atzr98membyy4et/

My Project M setup folder. In case there's anything I missed here or if you would like to browse directly.
-- www.mediafire.com/folder/1n16rba1q05qo/

Cheers, and have fun Brawling.

Last edited:

Atrax

Smash Rookie
I think there is a problem with the 2gb one. The game freezes whenever dr. mario is used.

SmashBrosFighter

Smash Rookie
Unfortunately this doesn't work. When I go to the stage creator menu item, it simply looks like it can't find any stages on the SD card.

And when I try to make a working copy myself, by starting with a blank SD card image file, and then copying the files from the official release of the hackless version (as found in the zip file) over to the SD card, it doesn't work either. Only in that case, it does show an entry for a stage, but says that the stage is corrupt.

The thing is, the hackless version depends on a bug in the game, which executes code when a specially crafted corrupt piece of data is in the stage save file. The version of SSB:Brawl I have an ISO of, must be a fixed version (sometimes Nintendo releases multiple versions of the same game in order to fix bugs). The version of Brawl I have, appears to not be vulnerable to the technique that is exploited by Project M in order to cause the booting of the Project M mod itself, by actually correctly detecting ALL corrupt stage save files. There's no longer any such thing as a "carefully crafted" corrupt stage save file that can bypass SSB:Brawl's corrupt file detection algorithm. Either that, or the Dolphin emulator doesn't behave quite the same way that the real Wii hardware behaves, and therefore the hackless version of Project M will only work on an actual physical Wii console.

SaTxN

Smash Rookie
I have pre-created many of the files you must make in order to load and play Project M on Dolphin to make it easier for those of you just getting started.

#### - Make sure to follow this tutorial for any additional instructions. - ####
Installing Project M on Dolphin: Tutorial

With these files you will not need the Easy SD image maker or WinImage. I have already done those steps for you.
The version of Project M being used is the "Hackless" zip. You can still load it through Gecko OS.

The files are as follows.

An empty 2GB "sd.raw" file. This 11KB file WILL >>expand<< to 2GB once uncompressed.
This is if you want to custom-load an sd.raw file your own way. You will need WinImage.
-- www.mediafire.com/download/tybnigyqyjr7x32/

Similar to above, a 2 GB SD file pre-loaded with Project M. Unzip and place in the proper directory.
You do not need to download the blank SD files, WinImage or Project M by downloading this.
-- www.mediafire.com/download/a9ul3f05fu77hf0/ - (300 MB)
A 1 GB SD file pre-loaded with Project M.
-- www.mediafire.com/download/47cg763pj8dafmc/ - (300 MB)

Optional SD Card files.
-- An empty 1 GB "sd.raw" file. Compressed.
-- -- www.mediafire.com/download/3m5rc2a88s2b1d9/Raw%20SD%20(1GB).rar
-- An empty 512 MB "sd.raw" file. Compressed. (Note this will not hold Project M.)
-- -- www.mediafire.com/download/atzr98membyy4et/

My Project M setup folder. In case there's anything I missed here or if you would like to browse directly.
-- www.mediafire.com/folder/1n16rba1q05qo/

Cheers, and have fun Brawling.
Do you think I could do this with an nVIDIA SHIELD Android TV?
I use Dolphin build 4.0-8721 and I'm not sure how to load sd.RAW as well as set the ISO to default so I can "home-brew" said SSBB ISO.
I don't necessarily want to use ProjectM in the sd.RAW and am willing to do the first steps to put a "Frozen" mod on, but getting Gecko to run on that Dolphin version may prove difficult... Gecko goes in the sd.RAW too right?

Inquirer

Smash Cadet
Not sure what exactly you want but I am pretty sure the method of the OP is outdated. I think this is the most up-to-date method of running PM via SD on Dolphin (taken from official Project M subreddit). If you want to play a different version/build of PM just edit the virtual sd card with a program like WinImage and use that instead with the guide.

SaTxN

Smash Rookie
Not sure what exactly you want but I am pretty sure the method of the OP is outdated. I think this is the most up-to-date method of running PM via SD on Dolphin (taken from official Project M subreddit). If you want to play a different version/build of PM just edit the virtual sd card with a program like WinImage and use that instead with the guide.
Yeah, I was planning on it but I'm not sure where to put the SD card. I can boot Gecko via an ELF, but it comes WITH my home-brew download and I was under the impression I needed to load Gecko from within the SD card, after first accessing that with the Wii emulator somehow.
I've got the Insert SD to Wii option enabled as well as Default ISO set as "Super Smash Bros. Brawl.iso" and I'm hoping entering the exact name will be enough for that.

The last step is finding out where to put the sd.RAW, because I guess I'd just extract the Gecko folder from my home-brew RAR archive, boot it through Dolphin and then select the sd.RAW that way if it'll find it. Any clue where to put sd.RAW in the Android directory? Is putting it in dolphinemu going to be enough?

UPDATE: Turns out the folder it needs to be in is dolphin-emu/Wii

Last edited:

SaTxN

Smash Rookie
Yeah, I was planning on it but I'm not sure where to put the SD card. I can boot Gecko via an ELF, but it comes WITH my home-brew download and I was under the impression I needed to load Gecko from within the SD card, after first accessing that with the Wii emulator somehow.
I've got the Insert SD to Wii option enabled as well as Default ISO set as "Super Smash Bros. Brawl.iso" and I'm hoping entering the exact name will be enough for that.

The last step is finding out where to put the sd.RAW, because I guess I'd just extract the Gecko folder from my home-brew RAR archive, boot it through Dolphin and then select the sd.RAW that way if it'll find it. Any clue where to put sd.RAW in the Android directory? Is putting it in dolphinemu going to be enough?

UPDATE: Turns out the folder it needs to be in is dolphin-emu/Wii
So I've got the sd.RAW in the right spot and I can boot up Gecko from the boot.ELF. My only problem now is that Gecko says the disc can't be read... I have a Dolphin.ini setting that says "Default ISO = /storage/emulated/0/ROMS/WII/Super Smash Bros. Brawl.iso"...
Doesn't that seem right? Should I put quotes around the directory or something so it finds the iso alright?

Last edited:
Top Bottom