• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gunner Style Discussion

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
I want customs to die, but I know Mii Gunner is solid enough without them.

What we really need is the custom size to be changed. Small Gunner's physics make so much more sense with her kit.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Problem I have with small gunner is that smashes barely work. 25/0's smashes work almost every time in comparison. That's why I like 25/0.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Problem I have with small gunner is that smashes barely work. 25/0's smashes work almost every time in comparison. That's why I like 25/0.
But small usmash makes it less prone to going over people's heads. Dsmash and fsmash lose a noticeable amount of range, but I don't use fsmash that often anyways because of the lag. Dsmash is the one that bothers me the most.

But being able to fair twice in one full hop, or uair without landing lag are so valuable to me. Also gun dashing is WAY larger.

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
I'm also noticing her Reflector sucks too. Maybe next patch will give her the same sort of love Swordfighter got?

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506
I'm also noticing her Reflector sucks too. Maybe next patch will give her the same sort of love Swordfighter got?
Maybe, but the problem is everyone cited Swordfighter as the worst character in the game and made a big deal about it. Gunner doesn't get enough recognition to be deemed the worst or the best and so that sounds like the character is balanced to Nintendo. Same with Wii Fit Trainer, decent character but has some major flaws in her design like her up smash range, smash attacks that won't hit short characters, and grabs that won't grab short characters. But not enough people play her to complain about her or know anything about her so she goes under the radar.

Hopefully a couple things about 1111 Gunner get fixed, but honestly the more people see her the more they complain about her fair and other things.

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
I sure hope so. They managed to fix Swordfighter real quick once they set their mind to it, but now Gunner has been left behind. Perhaps the next patch will take care of Gunner too?

NNID
Shado_Chimera
3DS FC
2019-9854-8378
But being able to fair twice in one full hop, or uair without landing lag are so valuable to me. Also gun dashing is WAY larger.
Maybe I'm mistaken but I'm pretty sure 25/0 gets FH double fair (at least it's working for me, and I swear I have the right size :/). Regardless SH FF fair is faster. When you say up air without lag do you mean Short hop or full hop?

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Maybe I'm mistaken but I'm pretty sure 25/0 gets FH double fair (at least it's working for me, and I swear I have the right size :/). Regardless SH FF fair is faster. When you say up air without lag do you mean Short hop or full hop?
SH FF fair is beast, but you use double fair for different reasons, mostly to meet someone air to air with a fair, and still have coverage upon landing.

I mean full hop uair. Standard Gunner can't do that.
And I haven't messed with 25/0 (at least, I don't think). I'm just using the standard tourney sizes for EVO.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Mii Gunner's standard tourney size is 25/0. Default can't do double fair or SH AD fair (the later one makes me more sad tbh :( )
Exactly. Which is why I wish there was some way to petition a default size change. Small Gunner's physics open up so many more possibilities, it's beautiful. I don't see it happening, but a man can dream.

(Curse Sakurai for making grenades #3 though >.<)

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
Curse Sakurai for making grenades #3 though >.<)
I'll go with "curse the whiners for getting their way and needlessly limiting the Miis to utterly nonsensical 1111 movelists" instead. It's not Sakurai's fault we have a pack of twits who cry until they get their way and render three characters virtually unplayable for complete nonsense reasons.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
I'll go with "curse the whiners for getting their way and needlessly limiting the Miis to utterly nonsensical 1111 movelists" instead. It's not Sakurai's fault we have a pack of twits who cry until they get their way and render three characters virtually unplayable for complete nonsense reasons.
I can see it for ways of fairness. I mean, why should the Miis be allowed to choose from a pool of moves while others can't?

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506
I can see it for ways of fairness. I mean, why should the Miis be allowed to choose from a pool of moves while others can't?
Because they weren't designed with those 1111 moves in mind, they are inherently customizable characters who have unique characteristics of the archetype they represent along with other unique moves that are new to them.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Cause they were designed to be made in which ever way the player wants them to be. Limiting them to 1111 doesn't seem right to be honest.

Also is it just me or do you guys think the Gunner is just a chore to play. Like seriously you have to put in a lot of work to have any hopes of winning, then you get ridiculed for playing them. Like my friends say "Gunner is cancer", "All you do is spam projectiles like a *****", this ones my favorite "Gunner has so many good up close options you *****, use them instead of jerking off to your projectiles". I just don't find it worth playing this character if I'm just gunna be mocked for my hard work. Do any of you have this problem?

Last edited:

GS3K

Smash Ace
NNID
Gamestar3000
I don't have any problems with anyone I've played using gunner, the most I get are tent-pitching jokes and a few "Wow, gunner can really do that" responses and maybe a "gunner is annoying". Imo, if your character can frustrate someone, you're doing something right. So what they said gunner is "cancer" or to stop "spamming projectiles", gunner is not even close to being "cancer" and projectiles are a decent part of gunner's moveset and gameplan (but you don't want to be overly reliant on them).

No lie, I absolutely get salted over luma whenever I fight rosalina and have been in that "OMG screw Rosalina" mindset, but it's up to me to make sure I know what Rosa is capable of against gunner and make necessary adjustments to combat her, since I sure as hell know people aren't going to drop her because I complained about her.

Tl;dr - Don't give up on the character because some people are giving you a hard time over it.

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506
Cause they were designed to be made in which ever way the player wants them to be. Limiting them to 1111 doesn't seem right to be honest.

Also is it just me or do you guys think the Gunner is just a chore to play. Like seriously you have to put in a lot of work to have any hopes of winning, then you get ridiculed for playing them. Like my friends say "Gunner is cancer", "All you do is spam projectiles like a *****", this ones my favorite "Gunner has so many good up close options you *****, use them instead of jerking off to your projectiles". I just don't find it worth playing this character if I'm just gunna be mocked for my hard work. Do any of you have this problem?
Haha my friends call my Gunner cancer, I find it kind of funny. I'm considering making a Gunner named CANCER.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360

**** the haters. That means you're doing something right ;)

Usually I just say "she's called GUNNER for a reason."

Last edited:

Maikou

Smash Ace
The next person who calls something besides the disease or a crab "cancer" is getting a Critical Arrow to the unspecified gender-different body part(s). I would've said "to the face" but that's so cliche.

Cancer is either a type of disease or a name for a crab. This same sentiment specified to that word also applies to "gay". Gay means happy.

Sorry for straying from the topic, but I'm so sick of people acting like homosexuality and sickness are things to use to display disdain for something. It's really annoying.
**** the haters. That means you're doing something right ;)

Usually I just say "she's called GUNNER for a reason."
More on topic, this is pretty much my response as well. When the character is a projectile master, usually you're gonna expect to, oh, gee, I don't know, maybe DEAL WITH PROJECTILES?! It's no use to complain about a character's natural fighting style. Just figure out how to deal with projectiles, it's not that complicated!

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The Kutthroats have set out to draw their character thanking Iwata for all he has done.

We invite you to do the same.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I wanted to think of way to doodle something worthwhile for Gunner in memory of Iwata, but everytime I try to I get a better idea for a Swordfighter based pic because of the Mii Fighter trailer.

ZeroSnipist

Smash Apprentice
Hey Mii Gunner players! We from the Ryu boards are making a doubles thread. The purpose of the thread is to find the best partner for Ryu. I'm going to invite as many people I can at once and get discussions going on all at once. We invite you to our dojo and hope you could help us discuss Mii Gunner and Ryu in doubles. Thank you in advance!

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Iunno I did a couple matches and I think she did pretty well.
But it might have just been lack of match-up knowledge or my opponents not going aggro enough in the right situation.

GS3K

Smash Ace
NNID
Gamestar3000
Gunner isn't too bad in doubles, but not exactly that great either.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
I really think she sucks in doubles. She's a bit better with customs on since grenades hit AoE and have a long blast time and fairly large blast radius. Also, you can use PSI Magnet custom for healing BS lol.

Other than that though, the keepaway gimmick just doesn't work so well in doubles. You're not going to be keeping people out as easily, and as much as a lot of Gunner players want to believe her melee game is up to par, it just isn't what you play Gunner for. She's also mediocre at capitalizing on team setups like dthrows or multihit drills because of her generally low damage output and picky hitboxes.

Vanilla Gunner also shouldn't find the time to charge charge blast that easily unless she wants to abandon her teammate and let them get jumped 2v1.

It's also hard to gun dash all over the place when there are hitboxes everywhere. I will however state that she can come to the rescue of her ally rather quickly because of gun dashing though. That's something nice she can do. But compared to other great team characters like G&W, Ness, and ZSS, Gunner just really doesn't stand out to me.

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
People dropping out of kill moves before the final hit is annoying me to no end. Caused me to drop her from tournament use because of that. I hope that gets fixed soon. Also customs might get rekt now that EVO is over (I seriously hope not). So kinda scared about putting more time into Gunner.

GS3K

Smash Ace
NNID
Gamestar3000
I feel like I'm incredibly lucky at landing gunner's smashes because I always get all of the hits to connect.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
when up and down smash whiff at kill %s it feels like someone gives you an ice cream cone and then they smack it right out of your hand like why

why

AzuraSarah

Smash Cadet
when up and down smash whiff at kill %s it feels like someone gives you an ice cream cone and then they smack it right out of your hand like why

why
Even worse is when down smash is tech'd out of.

AzuraSarah

Smash Cadet
We should be loud assholes so that Nintendo fixes our multi-hit and jab issues like they've done for other characters.

Why do gunner players have to be so polite? They think they're better than everyone else by being so high and mighty and off the radar /sarcasm

Last edited:

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Dsmash doesn't malfunction for me that often. I mean it can, but only if you space it incorrectly. You've gotta try to hit with the tip. If you land the first hit too close to her body, the second one doesn't connect.
(You can tech it though, and that's BS. Keep quiet about this.)

Usmash however drops people out of it all the ****ing time for no real reason. I hate that.

NNID
Shado_Chimera
3DS FC
2019-9854-8378
Dtilt is great though. btw apparently up tilt can kill too if sweetspotted. Her smashes might be poor but I think her tilts make up for it. Racking up damage is what we're supposed to be good at anyway right?

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
I feel like on paper, dtilt is good, but I very rarely find myself killing with it. It's just so short ranged compared to dsmash, and I feel like it doesn't work as well out of a gun dash.

AzuraSarah

Smash Cadet
I find myself consistently relying on D-Tilt to lock away stocks and a good reason to pick stages such as Halberd against opponents that don't die easily off the side / have poor vertical killing options. It's especially good out of shield as a punish.

Top Bottom