• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guitarists unite!

Sqwl

Smash Rookie
Hi all. Sqwl here. This thread is for all the guitarists out on the boards. I, myself, have only been playing for about a year now, but I like to think that I'm pretty good. Feel free to discuss guitar-ing or post your gear.

My Gear
Squier Strat
First Act Acoustic (soon to be replaced by a Yamaha F335 :estatic: )
Unknown Squier Amp (soon to be replaced by a Raven RG20 :upsidedown:)
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Dunlop Crybaby Wah-Wah
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator Modulation (New! :chuckle: )

:tired: Sqwl

chucklesXcore

Smash Apprentice
is there some other thread for guitarists? Because I would think a ton of people play it. Its such a popular instrument. Oh well. I've been playing for about 3 years and am pretty decent. I'm not a metal head so I haven't really taken the time to learn to shred. Nor do I feel anyone needs to. I'm more into how guitar is used as a songwriting tool. I love writing songs on an acoustic guitar. Its just a nice way to express yourself and get some emotion out through messing around on the fretboard.

And eek, I highly recommend dropping that Squier Strat as soon as you possibly can. Sell that, buy a mexican strat and replace the pick ups. make sure the mexican strat has an alder body because thats how you get the classic fender tone that everybody is after. Well...its not the only way. but it is one of the things that helps. And buying a mexican strat(make sure you get a deal, dont buy it for 300-400 dollars cuz thats not going to help your case) is a ton cheaper than buying an american. If you gut the piece of crap mex strat's then you can get a sick guitar for a ton cheaper. thats what I'm doing right now.

Since you're a beginner I wouldn't rush into anything though, just have fun and learn songs until you can start writing your own. Then start writing your own if thats your thing. And if not...just keep getting better.

I personally use an Epiphone Elitist Les Paul and some piece of crap Line6 amp from the 80s. A flextone II I think. it sucks. I'm buying a Marshall SLP 1959 reissue coming up. then I'mma modify that shiz. Ok enough ranting. I tend to talk waaaaaaay too much about guitar.

Mugquomp

Smash Ace
I play bass and mandolin, but am teaching myself how to play guitar at the moment on a borrowed Alhambra classical guitar. And I must say, I'm enjoying playing guitar so much I might just buy a cheap one when I get a chance. I'm thinking of getting an SX SST Ash with P90's from rondomusic.com, mostly because I'm on a pretty tight college student budget, and also because I've heard good things about them. And I'm not nearly good enough at guitar to merit going out and getting a Fender or another big name.

As for gear, I don't have a guitar (obviously), but I do have a Schecter Stiletto Elite 5 string bass, a Vega acoustic mandolin that was a hand-me-down from my great aunt (I think it's from around 1920 or so), and an Epiphone Mandobird VIII electric mandolin for when I want to turn up the volume. Plus the requisite pedals and amps and such.

IrArby

Smash Ace
Wow never even been in this forum. I play guitar. Not so much anymore but I'm still pretty **** good. Sorry if that sounds concieted but I've played for almost 7 years now.

As to learning to shred, its not neccesary but you having as much facility over your instrument will make more unique expressive and diverse expression in your writing. You've gotta do the imitation innovation thing. Learn lots of songs and techniques, don't bother learning a whole solo thats a waste of your time and learn to find one single note everywhere then do that with all the notes. Also I highly recommend learning the scales and it's 7 modes will open up the whole fretboard to you and you'll be able to see how all the chords tie into to that as well. Just look it up online.

Wow. I'm so much more knowledgable about guitar as opposed to smash. I almost wish it was the reverse.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
Been playing for 4 months, lol. I have a cheap Starcaster by Fender (essentially a ****ty Strat copy), Dunlop Wah, and a 10 watt amp that came with the Starcaster with built in distortion (pretty bad distortion too, I might add).

IrArby

Smash Ace
I work in a Piano star that sells entry level guitars and accessories and I've strung up a starcaster before. As far as entry level type beginner guitars its not a bad start. Don't buy the Esteban's though.

Also, I play a Jackson Randy Rhoads model (one of the cheaper models) and a Seagull (made by Godin) acoustic. My amps include a Squire 15W Frontman and one of those DigiTechs for Practice and a 5150 Peavey 60W Combo (got it before Van Halen dropped the line and the changed it to 6505) for shows.

Also also, I just remebered now since its been like 2 years but for a while some friends and I had a band and we cut a few songs. Heres the link
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=56320340

Its a bit dated and its kinda poppy party punk stuff with more guitar but I still like to listen to it in my car. I'll let you guys judge for yourselves. Thats me singin and soloing btw. You should listen to Tribute since everyone likes that best, then One Eyed Willie cuz that ones my favorite especially the intro, and Psycho Kite just has too much guitar in it but its still alright.

Sqwl

Smash Rookie
is there some other thread for guitarists? Because I would think a ton of people play it. Its such a popular instrument. Oh well. I've been playing for about 3 years and am pretty decent. I'm not a metal head so I haven't really taken the time to learn to shred. Nor do I feel anyone needs to. I'm more into how guitar is used as a songwriting tool. I love writing songs on an acoustic guitar. Its just a nice way to express yourself and get some emotion out through messing around on the fretboard.

And eek, I highly recommend dropping that Squier Strat as soon as you possibly can. Sell that, buy a mexican strat and replace the pick ups. make sure the mexican strat has an alder body because thats how you get the classic fender tone that everybody is after. Well...its not the only way. but it is one of the things that helps. And buying a mexican strat(make sure you get a deal, dont buy it for 300-400 dollars cuz thats not going to help your case) is a ton cheaper than buying an american. If you gut the piece of crap mex strat's then you can get a sick guitar for a ton cheaper. thats what I'm doing right now.

Since you're a beginner I wouldn't rush into anything though, just have fun and learn songs until you can start writing your own. Then start writing your own if thats your thing. And if not...just keep getting better.

I personally use an Epiphone Elitist Les Paul and some piece of crap Line6 amp from the 80s. A flextone II I think. it sucks. I'm buying a Marshall SLP 1959 reissue coming up. then I'mma modify that shiz. Ok enough ranting. I tend to talk waaaaaaay too much about guitar.
Eh, I'm happy with the Strat. It's an electric and it's a pretty good guitar. I bought it because of my P.O.C. First Act Acoustic. The bridge was falling off, the strings were extremely old (I didn't have enough money to replace them back then), and the frets were way too small. I wanted an electric, and Guitar Center had a sale on the pack that had the guitar, an amp, a case, and some cables.

I'm getting an actual acoustic soon, a Yamaha F335. I tried one out at GC recently, and had some fun playing with it. It's only $150, too.

I've already written a few songs, but they're pretty simple. Just a chord progression with some distorted power chords in the chorus or bridge, and sometimes a solo.

I really don't plan on learning shred at the moment. I know some basic tapping, hammer-ons/pull-offs, and sliding, but not stuff like sweep-picking or hybrid picking.

Meh, I'm getting along just fine. :cool:

Eriatarka

Smash Journeyman
I'm rocking out with my PRS Soapbar through a Fender FM212 nowadays , though I plan on getting a small Vox one of these days for home recording and such. Haven't gone out and bought any pedals yet since I'm happy with the distortion/reverb on the Fender, but I've just gotten a band together so will have to go looking for my own new and interesting sounds fairly soon I suppose.
The Soapbar is really nice, mahogany body/rosewood fretboard/twin P90 pickups. A budget PRS but a PRS nonetheless.

Tr0n

Smash Cadet
I've got a squier strat too, red one XD
Been playing nearly 2 years now, not as good as I hoped, but haven't had any lessons yet.

Gory snake

Smash Journeyman
My Gear:
Squier Telecaster
Harley Benton HB 20-G
BOSS GT-8

I still have the same setup since I started playing over a year and a half ago, although I got the GT-8 last christmas. Im hoping to get a new amp or guitar this christmas

IrArby

Smash Ace
I really don't plan on learning shred at the moment. I know some basic tapping, hammer-ons/pull-offs, and sliding, but not stuff like sweep-picking or hybrid picking:
Just don't practice your tapping in guitar stores you'll turn off every employee there since we hear it all the time and the same goes for crazy train and a few others.

I never learned hybrid picking though its a great AT (lol Smash reference) but sweeping is a very versatile technique just don't bother listening to like Atreyu or any metal sweeping for that matter since they all use like 2-3 different arpeggio shapes and spam them.

Oh **** I gotta go to work Later.

Mugquomp

Smash Ace
Sqwl said:
Eh, I'm happy with the Strat. It's an electric and it's a pretty good guitar. I bought it because of my P.O.C. First Act Acoustic. The bridge was falling off, the strings were extremely old (I didn't have enough money to replace them back then), and the frets were way too small. I wanted an electric, and Guitar Center had a sale on the pack that had the guitar, an amp, a case, and some cables.
Wait, so because you didn't have enough money to buy a $10 pack of strings, you bought a whole new guitar, amp, case, etc.? Surely that must have been more expensive than a pack of strings. I'm having trouble following that line of logic.

D

Deleted member

Another tip for playing at a guitar retailer:

No "Smoke on the Water"!

Oh, yeah, I have a Fender acoustic guitar and I've been playing since January. I can play riifs from "Smoke on the Water", "Iron Man", and "Mississippi Queen".

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
We get new musical instrument threads at least once a month.
That's funny... I haven't seen any in months...

Anyways, I do not play guitar. I tired it out once and really did not enjoy it. It's not my instrument, however I know a guy that goes to college with me... He plays classical guitar and I think it's pretty cool! Usually I don't like the instrument, though... to be honest...

Sqwl

Smash Rookie

No "Smoke on the Water"!

Oh, yeah, I have a Fender acoustic guitar and I've been playing since January. I can play riifs from "Smoke on the Water", "Iron Man", and "Mississippi Queen".
:laugh: That's why I normally play stuff by Radiohead or Incubus when I'm testing a guitar.

Wait, so because you didn't have enough money to buy a $10 pack of strings, you bought a whole new guitar, amp, case, etc.? Surely that must have been more expensive than a pack of strings. I'm having trouble following that line of logic.
Look at my other reasons. The guitar was a piece of crap, overall. I'm short on cash pretty often, but I got some scholarship at school and my grandparents gave me $150 because of it. I spent that on the new guitar.

IrArby

Smash Ace
Whenever I watch a bassoonist I always imagine how dangerous the mouth piece looks if someone were to somehow accidentally jab themselves in the throat with it. I don't know why I always think that but it just looks so dangerous to me.

Guitar very safe. I'm not bragging or anything, the mouthpiece just worries me for some idiotic reason that I don't understand. In all honesty wind instruments are so foriegn to me so I commend you and your patience to play bassoon.

Does anyone have an instrument(s) they hate? For me its the piano or more specifically pianists. Not all of them obviously so I hope I'm not offending anyone but I've met a great many that I don't like.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
lol, the way the bassoon is held that isn't really that likely to occur. Now if somebody were to be marching it (which is apparently illegal in some states. XD) and they fell, it might be a problem. o_o

There are no instruments I really hate... I never have liked the flutes though... and I don't really like the French horn either.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
lol, the way the bassoon is held that isn't really that likely to occur. Now if somebody were to be marching it (which is apparently illegal in some states. XD) and they fell, it might be a problem. o_o

There are no instruments I really hate... I never have liked the flutes though... and I don't really like the French horn either.
i hate flutes because all the guys who play flutes at my school act like they're awesome/unique with their high pitched voices and lisps.
but i digress.

i was thinking about getting a distortion pedal because the built in distortion on my amp sucks monkey nuts. i was thinking about getting:

DigiTech Grunge Distortion Pedal
http://www.guitarcenter.com/DigiTech-Grunge-Distortion-Pedal-102670254-i1124378.gc

any comments/warnings?

IrArby

Smash Ace
Digitechs alright though I would ask what kind of sound are you going for? Some bands that your into?
You can skip to the bottom if you don't want to read a crapload about pedals.

Undoubtedly your style will change so don't be suprised if you don't like the Distortion Pedal down the road and end up selling it. I'm not sure (I used to know but now it elludes me) but I'm somewhat sure that All digitech pedals are digital thus the name Digi ryt? Essentially the are 2 main categories to divide pedals into: digital and analog.

With a digital pedals you lose some of the sound quality thats derived from anything starting with your guitar that comes before that pedal in the signal chain. So if you've got your guitar, a wah pedal, your distortion pedal, and then your amp some of the quality coming from your guitar and your wah pedal is lost though its generally small enough that it only really bothers more experienced guitarists. This is because your signal gets broken up into tiny little electronic bits by the digital pedal and then reassembled and sent on through the other end. That being said analog is generally more expensive and your still new to the instrument and its not a big deal. Hope I didn't waste your time by posting that.

Lastly, I'd advise you not to rely to heavily on the distortion pedal for learning new stuff. Its a great way to cheat and hide mistakes in tons of distortion but overall its a bad thing. Practice with a clean or twangy tone when learning new or difficult stuff. Besides cranking up the distortion 24/7 will just give you UnGodly feedback at respectable volumes. Believe or not bands like Metalica don't use as much distortion as people would think. Its all about crunch so keep it pretty crisp not fuzzy unless thats what your going for.

Hope all that helps overall I think the grunge pedal is a fairly good choice thats pretty inexpensive and good for what your trying to get out of it.

Sqwl

Smash Rookie
i hate flutes because all the guys who play flutes at my school act like they're awesome/unique with their high pitched voices and lisps.
but i digress.

i was thinking about getting a distortion pedal because the built in distortion on my amp sucks monkey nuts. i was thinking about getting:

DigiTech Grunge Distortion Pedal
http://www.guitarcenter.com/DigiTech-Grunge-Distortion-Pedal-102670254-i1124378.gc

any comments/warnings?
That pedal is pretty good. It sounds pretty good with some delay, too. :)

If you have the money, though, I'd shoot for an Ibanez Tube Screamer. If you want Overdrive then go for the DigiTech Bad Monkey.

chucklesXcore

Smash Apprentice

No "Smoke on the Water"!

dude don't play like anything unless you intend to buy it. It doesn't matter how skilled people think "eruption" is...its still annoying when you go into any music shop and hear someone playing a crappy guitar plugged into a crappy amp. its like ear bleeding. especially when they aren't playing the song right. "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is like the anthem of Guitar Centers. I'm so tired of hearing that played by random people.

oh yah, speaking of guitar center, funny story. I wanted to hear how a marshall jcm sounded one time. but they had no top notch left handed guitars there and i wanted an accurate representation of what it would sound like if I owned it. So like I asked one of the workers to plug in with a les paul and play something. and he started playing some little licks no big deal. but then I asked him to play powerchords and some simpler rhythms. and he looked at me and was like "whats a powerchord?"

and then I just was like "...are you serious?" and he said "yah....dunno what yer talkin about man...is that one of those advanced techniques you kids made up?"

and i had to try really hard to keep from laughing at him. Just don't listen to any of the bullcrap music stores like Guitar Center give you. its seriously bs, some of them can't even play the instrument. but thats off topic. oh well. I'm the mastah at that.

Keku

Smash Apprentice
I just turned 18 and got my own guitar, a steel stringed Yamaha with a solid wood top. I love it, it plays like a dream, although I don't play that well yet. I've been learning several songs by varying artists, learning chords and picking both. Especially Hourglass by Liquid Tension Experiment is fun to learn, and it sounds great.

D

Deleted member

dude don't play like anything unless you intend to buy it. It doesn't matter how skilled people think "eruption" is...its still annoying when you go into any music shop and hear someone playing a crappy guitar plugged into a crappy amp. its like ear bleeding. especially when they aren't playing the song right. "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is like the anthem of Guitar Centers. I'm so tired of hearing that played by random people.
Personally, I just like to play random chords. Playing on that Ibanez was a dream come true, and I was just trying the axe out.

Wayne Campbell said:
It will be mine. Oh yes, it will be mine.

Mugquomp

Smash Ace
IrArby said:
Guitar [sic] very safe.
Well, I'm not too sure about that. I played this one outdoor gig in high school where we had our amps all running off of some plugs next to the soccer field at school. Everything was fine until one of my friends came up and touched the strings on my bass, and got a huge shock. Apparently, the plugs weren't grounded too well, and after 3 hours of running a bass amp, a Marshall stack, and a PA system, they had built up a lot of static electricity (which was running through the strings on my bass and on the guitarist's guitar). I was wearing shoes, but my friend wasn't, and that made a difference in who got shocked. Weird stuff.

Eriatarka

Smash Journeyman
A friend of mine was running 2 or 3 little 10-15 watt amps through each other once and through all the static you could hear he was picking up some random radio station. Guitars really are magic.:grin:

Mugquomp

Smash Ace
It's not magic. Those amps probably had bad shielding and when combined were acting as an antenna, and picked up the radio waves that way.

It's science!

IrArby

Smash Ace
Yea picking up radio signal isn't uncommon. Every tried talking talking into your pickups? Its not as cool as a effect as you might think but its still worth trying. Whats fun to do if you have any kind of whammy bar is to run it up and down the strings. "It's not magic" but you can make cool bird calls and **** like that.

There was a time where I could hit like 2 or 3 harmonics, divebomb with the whammy bar and bring it back up slowly to create a sound like an elephant. I'm told Eddie Van Halen discovered it but I'd have to play around with it a while to relearn it.

mark.

Smash Journeyman

oh yah, speaking of guitar center, funny story. I wanted to hear how a marshall jcm sounded one time. but they had no top notch left handed guitars there and i wanted an accurate representation of what it would sound like if I owned it. So like I asked one of the workers to plug in with a les paul and play something. and he started playing some little licks no big deal. but then I asked him to play powerchords and some simpler rhythms. and he looked at me and was like "whats a powerchord?"

and then I just was like "...are you serious?" and he said "yah....dunno what yer talkin about man...is that one of those advanced techniques you kids made up?"

and i had to try really hard to keep from laughing at him. Just don't listen to any of the bullcrap music stores like Guitar Center give you. its seriously bs, some of them can't even play the instrument. but thats off topic. oh well. I'm the mastah at that.
"whats a powerchord?" LOL

i use a mexican strat. and a cheap (but pretty good) ovation acoustic for the other songs.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Being playing guitar for nearly 5 years.

I have a

Dean "Dime O Flame"
Marshall MX 100 stack
Boss ME 50

I had a washburn Dime 2st but my dad smashed it.I also had a epiphone SG.Both of which were pretty poor guitars.

Gamble_

Smash Cadet
i like acoustic guitars over electric ones... have you guys heard of Depapepe? They're a Japanese duo and are really good! try watching their videos on youtube!

IrArby

Smash Ace
The first halfs is very pentatonic box pattern oriented, reminds me of Randy Rhoads improv solo on his live tribute album (Same key too I think).

I liked your arpeggio shapes at the end. They weren't the traditional ones you hear every other second in a Atreyu/Avenged Sevenfold solo.

You play well when your drunk though. I can't sweep when I drink but I'm hot **** if I've got a buzz. lol its true though.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
http://youtube.com/watch?v=zL0OYf3E7WA&feature=related - awesome video from a great singer. Sadly, he's so mentally destroyed from years of drugs that his life isn't much.

I am actually working on going to music school after college so I have my degree to fall back on. I learned my main problem is timing. I have a great sense of pitch and relative pitch, and I am fluent in theory, I just lack good timing.

I'll post my music school try-out once I am done.

chucklesXcore

Smash Apprentice
http://youtube.com/watch?v=zL0OYf3E7WA&feature=related - awesome video from a great singer. Sadly, he's so mentally destroyed from years of drugs that his life isn't much.

I am actually working on going to music school after college so I have my degree to fall back on. I learned my main problem is timing. I have a great sense of pitch and relative pitch, and I am fluent in theory, I just lack good timing.

I'll post my music school try-out once I am done.
wow, his voice is amazing. like its sad that his drugs ruined his career. Cuz seriously that guy has one of the best voices I've heard in a long time!

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
His career is still going, but his life is basically shattered. Shame, hopefully he makes it big before dying.

Top Bottom