• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A 'Guin Saga (DDD General/Q&A thread)

OnFullTilt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gregolus
I was watching some Heysuess videos and often saw him jump>fair>jump again. It seems like it would be an easy thing to do, but when I try it, the lag from the fair (or any arieal for that matter) lasts until I hit the ground. I can't seem to jump after the aerial. Am I inputing the jump too early/late? I feel like I'm missing something really simple.
I'm pretty sure you're short hopping when you should be full hopping and/or you're accidentally fast falling. If I had to guess I'd say that you're short hopping and that you should hold the jump button longer if you want to be in the air after you finish the fair.

monkokaio

Smash Cadet
NNID
monkokaio
3DS FC
4468-1090-0122
What are some good uses for Inhale? Is it primarily an edge guarding tool?

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Inhale is a great landing mix up since it is command grab in a way, so it'll catch them off guard especially if theyre shielding. It also has huge range that it works really well against certain characters that don't have disjointed hitboxes (luigi, bowser, Charizard)

but the risk reward isn't really worth it in my opinion. DDD's inhale is way more of a commitment than say, Bowser's koopa klaw, Wario's bite, or even Kirby's inhale.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Are you aware of how much Aerial Mobility you have in terms of being able to move forward/backward in the air during inhale?
It's pretty crazy that I can ledge jump on PS2, hold forward with inhale and grab someone on the platform near the ledge and then hold them back to get dat suicide.

I personally use it more often these days, ever since I got quite solid with his wavedash OoS, the flailness of him in the air (to get hits/approach/etc) isn't as big of a problem anymore and going for aerial options are hence less expected/planned for by opponents.

The thing to remember about Inhale are the option-selecty nature of the input/and afterwards. Once you start inhaling it's very easy to adjust your fingers on the controller for superb DI, meaning the whiffs and the punishes are usually not bad. For that reason I don't think the risk/reward is poor, the risk is that you take a single hit and that you're a super fat **** who won't die, the reward isn't exactly a guaranteed follow up but it's a horrendous position to be put in and Fair covers nearly all options.

If dedede could get punished with grab by using Inhale, I'd be worried (as everyone has bull **** Sheik down throw variants [or they're low tier]), but on the ground most characters have to jump/use aerials to beat it or go for projectiles, I really don't find Inhale costing me important things, it really messes with people's heads when you have Marth sword range aerial and grounded grabs and inhale isn't something you can react to, especially with the respect people have to give for your Fair or FF into dtilt/ftilt/rar bair.

Last edited:

steelguttey

mei is bei
yo, i guess i should introduce myself. im an olimar main that is picking up d3 until 3.5 and i plan on sspending lots of time here but anyway i noticed that alot of good d3 stages have lots of platforms (dreamland smashville etc) and what is d3's platform game like? cant seem to get the hand of it.

OnFullTilt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gregolus
yo, i guess i should introduce myself. im an olimar main that is picking up d3 until 3.5 and i plan on sspending lots of time here but anyway i noticed that alot of good d3 stages have lots of platforms (dreamland smashville etc) and what is d3's platform game like? cant seem to get the hand of it.
I'm still very new to competitive d3 but I can tell you that it involves lots of Wavelands on platforms as well as rising or falling nairs through them.

EDIT: Did you guys know by the way that Fox (and I assume anyone with a reflector) can reflect the star an opponent becomes if you spit them at him after inhale? Could be useful for team combos methinks.

Last edited:

Omega Male

Smash Cadet
Hey I am trying to pick up DDD I think he is amazing and super fun, definitely the right character for me. However,I keep hearing that the most important thing to learn as DDD is recovering with waddle dashing but I cannot figure it out. Even with a tilted up waddle throw there is too much of a delay for me to be in range to throw it. Even when jumping back to it it just seems that it is now too far away. Can anyone explain to me how to aerial waddle dash? What am I doing wrong?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Just try practising on the ground with waddle throwing as closer to you/above your head as possible (more confidence = start short/full hoping practise). In general you should get a hang of all the angles you can achieve on waddle tossing, as it's extremely important for comboing on fast fallers. I'm not sure of the amount of degrees there are, but I'd say close to/around Fire Fox levels (even including uncommon 'usages' like backwards, downwards, etc)

most of the time I don't do any super-tricky angle to get an easy air dodge upwards waddle dash, I also mix up that angle slightly so people can't become accustomed to the timing of me teleporting in. I generally just throw and do a single jump stall (fast fall bair out of waddle dash is stronk when they're used to respecting fair) and then just float into it as it comes down.

Last edited:

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I won a regional with DDD. imagine what I'll do when 3.5 is out

OnFullTilt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gregolus
I won a regional with DDD. imagine what I'll do when 3.5 is out
Hey, Shogun Dedede is being released then for a reason. All shall tremble as Dedede becomes known as the PM equivalent of Fox.

Ice_Cold

Smash Rookie
Does anyone have any tips for edgeguarding tether characters? I have trouble hitting them once they are offstage because they can tether back so fast at decent percents. I suppose you could hold onto ledge and fair after their laggy getup jump, but that will just reset to neutral.

Smur

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4141-3292-3562
Does anyone have any tips for edgeguarding tether characters? I have trouble hitting them once they are offstage because they can tether back so fast at decent percents. I suppose you could hold onto ledge and fair after their laggy getup jump, but that will just reset to neutral.
If you fail at the initial edge-guard before they tether, that's ok. You can just grab the ledge and wait for them to use their tether and back air them just before they start to dangle with their tether. It's especially easy to do vs Samus. The shorter the tether gets, the trickier they are to hit, but it's still relatively easy.

Ice_Cold

Smash Rookie
What about against characters with fast vertical up b's(GandW, Sonic)? Obviously you can hit them if they are moving from the side blastzone to the sweetspot from under, but I've had trouble edgeguarding once they get there. The worst part is you can hold ledge and they can double jump on stage (or at least GandW). In theory I feel maybe you could do dair into bair/fair?

ForgottenLabRat

Smash Journeyman
Im sure tons of people know this, but if you hit someone with the last hitbox on his F-smash, it will be a meteor and almsot one shot them if they don't jump cancel it.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Im sure tons of people know this, but if you hit someone with the last hitbox on his F-smash, it will be a meteor and almsot one shot them if they don't jump cancel it.
Yup it's pretty widely know at this point, and it's probably the most satisfying thing to land. The sound it makes just doesn't match-up with how much power was put into it so it's just so funny.

jfgameboy

Smash Cadet
Is waddle-dashing with Z beneficial at all? It seems to be a fake out for dashing with L or R. Has anyone found a good use for it?

Captain Birdman

Smash Rookie
I've recently begun experimenting with Dedede's Zee-Throw, and I think it has some potential. It allows you to take a Waddle Dee from the ground and jump into the air while throwing it. Jumping forward with an upward toss can lead straight into an aerial Waddle Dash. That alone can lead to some nice approaches, mix ups or walls. I think a lot of good can come from practicing Zee tosses, and encourage experimentation with it.

Smur

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4141-3292-3562
I've only ever used it as an option coverage tool / jump. If I need to jump and there's a waddle between me and the opponent, might as well z-toss it. I honestly don't think it has THAT much use, but it can be helpful in some situations.

CuteDogIRL

Smash Rookie
I was watching this video called "Apex 2014 - Sethlon vs Fly Amanita" and I noticed that when using and canceling the up b at around 3:10 Dedede landed on his feet instead of on his butt like he always does when I'm playing. Is this some kind of secret technique to reduce landing lag or is this simply how up b cancelling worked in a previous project m version?

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Shoutouts to Ripple for knocking Westballz out of Aftershock PM singles in the closest set I've ever seen. That set inspired me to pick up the old penguin again, full time. Great stuff.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
I haven't been able to go out to any PM Events yet. The closest one to me is in Framingham iirc. I will try to get out there soon enough, I hope.

Last edited:

theperson91

Smash Apprentice
If I'm offstage in a magnifying glass, is there any way to know if I threw a gordo (and can't waddle dash for recovery)? This has caught me a couple of times in stupid deaths.

Apollo Ali

Smash Journeyman
The sound. Always pay attention to the sound. I refuse to play on a TV without sound for this reason.

kinje

Smash Apprentice
What's everyone here's opinions on jump-cancel grabs? I always do them instead of dash grabs since frame data I looked at made it seem like it was the better option, but I was wondering if anyone else had experimented with this and found it useful.

CuteDogIRL

Smash Rookie
Jump-cancel grab is useful in some cases and dash grab is good in others. Dash grab has much better range (use debug mode to see the range) but JC grab of course has less lag which makes it good in other cases. Personally I use dash grab a bit more.

On the topic of grabs. If you've been using debug mode you might have noticed that pivot grab has some insane range (see Smurs signature). I've not been able to use it to it's full potential yet, but lately I've been messing around with dash away-> pivot grab instead of regular grab, it gives you slightly more range and it's a bit safer because you're further away from the opponent.

Last edited:

kinje

Smash Apprentice
What should an Ivy player be doing against a DDD?
Razor leaf, grab, throw, combo with nairs and fairs. Don't recover predictably. It's a super free match-up for you though. If you use all your tools right, it won't be difficult unless the other player reads your every move and powershields every razor leaf. Also, whenever there's a waddle on the stage and you have time, just sweet-spot dair it for extra charge on your solarbeam.

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
I've been playing a lot of D3 recently and I was wondering what the primary usage of waddles on stage is,aside from eating projectiles like Falco Lasers. Could someone give me some insight about this?

Also should I ever be using Jet Hammer? I feel the move is simultaneously his stupidest move but his greatest move at the same time (ala DK Headbutt)

Last edited:

Captain Birdman

Smash Rookie
In short, Waddle Dashing is stupid useful, and the Jet Hammer is a great punish tool (use wisely). If you don't know what Waddle Dashing is, just ask. Otherwise, it's one of your best tools as DededeDeDedede

Smur

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4141-3292-3562
In short, Waddle Dashing is stupid useful, and the Jet Hammer is a great punish tool (use wisely). If you don't know what Waddle Dashing is, just ask. Otherwise, it's one of your best tools as DededeDeDedede
How do you go about using the Jet Hammer? Only use it for style points / doubles.

kinje

Smash Apprentice
How do you go about using the Jet Hammer? Only use it for style points / doubles.
Yeah, I only use it when I hard read a get-up or tech roll. You can also use it to end stocks really early against players who try to recover unsafely. That's about it, though. Good players won't ever give you a chance to use it well.

Top Bottom