• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide: Using A PS3 Controller On PJ64

Ganon007

Smash Cadet
HOW TO USE YOUR PS3 CONTROLLER ON PJ64 (OR ANY OTHER EMULATOR)

If your like me, you never used your PC as a game console until you found out about Emulators. If thats true then you probably haven't bought a decent game pad yet, well fret not because if you have a PS3 Controller you too can have a nice neat game pad to play your N64 Games on xD. Maybe some of you already know how to use a game pad on your emulator; thats all and good but using a ps3 controller is slightly different than any others so READ ON.

1. Getting Ready
First you need to make sure you have a PS3 controller. I'm not sure it will work with the Dual Shock 3 because I don't have one so no guarantees. You will also need a USB cable that will fit into the PS3 and your comp. I'm pretty sure your PS3 came with a cable like that =)

2. Download

Download this file here http://dl.qj.net/SIXAXIS-driver-for-PC-Tools-and-Utilities-PlayStation-3/pg/12/fid/11679/catid/518
Unpack it and put it some were you can find it.

3. Setting Up
So you got everything you need, all you need now is to hook it up. Plug in your USB cable to your computer then plug it into the PS3. The lights should start blinking. Next run the program you downloaded ONCE. Next open your control panel click on Printers and Other Hardware and then click on Game Controllers. Select the logical controller (PLAYSTATION(R)3 Controller) and then click on Properties. Click on the Test Tab and well do like the tab says and test it out. Press all the buttons and move the joysticks around to make sure everything is working correctly. IF nothing happens when your pressing buttons, press the PS button ONCE and that should do it.

4. Configuration
Next you will try it out on your emulator. You should use N-Rage's or Jabo's DirectInput as your controller plugin (they come with PJ64 i think) or any other plugin that allows Game Pads.
N-Rages Plugin: Open up your Project64 and go to Options > Configure Controller Plugin. Click on the Devices Tab and on the Device Drop-Down box select PLAYSTATION(R)3 Controller. then map the buttons to your liking. Save profiles so you can have diffrent layouts for diffrent games.
Jabo's Plugin: Open up your Project64 and go to Options > Configure Controller Plugin. Click on the drop down box and select your controller (PLAYSTATION(R)3 Controller) and then all you need to do is map your buttons! Click on the the little box corresponding to N64 button and map it to a logical button on your PS3 controller. Hit OK and your done!

5. Conclusion
I made this for PJ64 but I'm pretty sure you can use your control on any other emulator as long as it has a plugin that allows external game pads. Have Fun!

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
3. Setting Up
So you got everything you need, all you need now is to hook it up. Plug in your USB cable to your computer then plug it into the PS3. The lights should start blinking. Next run the program you downloaded ONCE. Next open your control panel click on Printers and Other Hardware and then click on Game Controllers. Select the logical controller (PLAYSTATION(R)3 Controller) and then click on Properties. Click on the Test Tab and well do like the tab says and test it out. Press all the buttons and move the joysticks around to make sure everything is working correctly. IF nothing happens when your pressing buttons, press the PS button ONCE and that should do it.
You say to run the prgram only ONCE (very important step due to capitals?) yet i have been playing with a PS3 controller for a while now and what i find most effective is to click the Dos prgram as many times as possibul before it loads (this wil make it load several but they all go away quickly) and i also find it works best if you press the Middle ps logo button while doing this.

P.S.: I am being very serious, i had prioblems before with my contoller and i have found this the best way to keep it consistent

Ganon007

Smash Cadet
i have been playing with a PS3 controller for a while now and what i find most effective is to click the Dos prgram as many times as possibul before it loads (this wil make it load several but they all go away quickly) and i also find it works best if you press the Middle ps logo button while doing this.
Really? I never really encountered any problem. I usually plug it in, run the program, and press the PS button and that does it for me. Well if it works for you then keep doing that! :laugh:

Zantetsu

Smash Master
PS3 controllers cost more then adapters anyways. So instead of buying a ps3 controller, just fork out 10-20 bucks for an adapter.

If its because you have a PS3 already then you probably have enough money for a 20 dollar adapter anyways. Adapter >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> PS3 controller.

Ganon007

Smash Cadet
What if you don't have a N64 controller? Then you would spend more money to buy one. And WHY would you buy the adapter if you can use your PS3 controller with my guide? 8)

Zantetsu

Smash Master
What if you don't have a N64 controller? Then you would spend more money to buy one. And WHY would you buy the adapter if you can use your PS3 controller with my guide? 8)
Well guessing you already have a PS3, then you should have plenty of money anyways.

And you would buy an adapter + N64 controller instead of using a ps3 controller because its a WAY better controller for smash XP

Ganon007

Smash Cadet
Well guessing you already have a PS3, then you should have plenty of money anyways.

And you would buy an adapter + N64 controller instead of using a ps3 controller because its a WAY better controller for smash XP
Well you see therein lies the problem. My bro bought it with his credit card. Stupid, yeah i know.

I never really liked the N64 controller anyway so I guess its good for me =P. Its pretty much the same anyway. The stick is more responsive and its less awkward to hold. The C-Buttons are mapped to my Right Analog stick so there's no conflict there. Its also easier to taunt, which is very important! xD

It would be really impressive if you got the SixAxis features to work with Smash. Hah.
Not yet my friend. Not YET.

Top Bottom