• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Guide: Build a Wii U Gamepad storage box to keep it turned off while using other controllers!

Zarxrax

Smash Apprentice
Every since the day I got my Wii U, there has been one thing about it that really annoyed me. When the system is on, the gamepad is on. This is obviously not a problem if you are playing with the gamepad, but for over half a year now, the only game I have played on my system is Smash, and I don't need the gamepad for that.

So this creates a dilemma. You can either keep your gamepad plugged in all the time, which means its going to have its screen turned on every time you play the system, which can be very annoying; or you can just let the battery drain out. Storing a device with the battery completely drained is NOT good for Li-ion batteries--it is much better to store it at about 40-50% capacity.

So for awhile I have tried to come up with ways to get around this problem. One thought I had was removing the battery from the gamepad. But this would be very annoying to pop it back in when you need to go into system settings, or some other screen that requires the gamepad.

I also considered trying to keep it out of the range of the system. But this thing actually has a pretty big range! Unless you live in a larger house, this might not even be an option. And even then, who wants to get up and walk across their house every time they need to grab the gamepad?

So finally, today I had a new thought. What if I could block the signal from going to the gamepad?
I immediately grabbed some aluminum foil, and began looking for a box to put the gamepad in. I had just finished up a box of ice cream sandwiches, and the gamepad fit inside perfectly. Ideally though, you want a box that can be easily opened, like a shoebox with a removable lid.

I put a layer of aluminum foil completely around my box, and then turned on the Wii U with my Pro Controller. I heard the familiar sounds coming from inside my box. The aluminum foil didn't work. But undeterred, I tried again. I put a second layer of aluminum foil around the first layer. I powered on the system again, and put my ear to the box. I waited, and waited... ...and silence. Was this just a fluke? I tried again, powering the system off and back on again. Still, nothing but silence from the box. I placed it down on my desk just inches from the wii u system and tried it again. I'd done it! I had managed to completely block the signal that tells the gamepad to turn itself on!
Pic: http://imgur.com/Nykag49
My next step is to find a shoe box to replicate this on, as the ice cream sandwich box is quite difficult to open and close with the foil around it.

TL;DR: Find a box with a removable lid that your gamepad can fit inside (such as a shoe box), wrap the box and lid each with 2-3 layers of aluminum foil. When you play the Wii U with other controllers and don't want your gamepad to turn on, just keep it stored inside this box.

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
Thanks for this! I'll definitely keep it in mind.

I think this should be moved, though, as it's a Wii U trick in general, not a Smash Bros. trick.

Zarxrax

Smash Apprentice
home button > controller settings > display off
This has to be done every single time you start the console. It already takes a minute or more just to turn a game on without additional annoyances like this.

I grew up in an era where you could turn on a video game and literally be playing it 5-10 seconds later, so I guess you could say I'm pretty disappointed with the state of consoles today.

Last edited:

David Wonn

Smash Ace
I have a few methods that work for me:

1. In the Brawl era, I would start up the Wii with the Wiimote, then unplug the rechargeable Nyko battery pack as soon as Brawl started. I sometimes use this same method for Sm4sh on the Wii U, while simply keeping the Gamepad far out of range, nowhere near the console, so it never fires up.

2. If I feel like starting up the Wii U with the Gamepad (perhaps because I need to access a Gamepad-only menu, like changing Internet settings) then I will start up Sm4sh with it, then immediately walk my Gamepad out of range until it says it has lost the connection. I then hold the power button on the Gamepad for a few seconds so that it powers itself off without impacting the console.

3. My most-used method now is done with the Pro controller, primarily due to its incredible battery life. Its range is a little longer than that of the Gamepad, and I'm getting it down to a science as to how far I need to walk. I basically fire up Sm4sh as I do with the Gamepad method, but this time I watch the light turn off on the Pro controller when it is out of range. I tap the power button once or twice and watch the lights blink several times but make sure it doesn't get a solid light back on, so that I know it is too far away. I then hold the power button for a few seconds, then walk it back into range to be sure it did indeed power itself off without impacting the console. Then I go about my business using my GameCube controllers for hours happily without interruption. Obviously the Gamepad is already out of range during this process.

[...]

I grew up in an era where you could turn on a video game and literally be playing it 5-10 seconds later, so I guess you could say I'm pretty disappointed with the state of consoles today.
Agreed. The Atari 2600 was ready in even less time, so I guess we were just spoiled by the efficiency of classic consoles. Since the Wii U takes forever and a fortnight to fire up Sm4sh, all of my methods can be done before the Sm4sh logo even appears, and I don't mind the short exercise anyway. :-)

FlabbyOrb

Smash Cadet
NNID
amacadaeg
This has to be done every single time you start the console. It already takes a minute or more just to turn a game on without additional annoyances like this.

you must be so busy with all that time you cant waste

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII

Yet you have the time to use up all that aluminum foil.
It takes longer for the game to boot up than it does to turn off the display.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
you must be so busy with all that time you cant waste
There's nothing wrong with optimizing time management. In fact, the less we waste this precious gift the better.
Yet you have the time to use up all that aluminum foil.
It takes longer for the game to boot up than it does to turn off the display.
You like Anna, don't you know about returns on investment? :P
Any good capitalist can see that this is a small initial investment that reaps time and frustration savings down the road.

Last edited:

A17

Smash Ace
NNID
Okrapaeli
Somehow, if I take my gamepad to my bedroom upstairs. It can't pick up a signal. If I put the gamepad in the basement on the opposite of the house, it does. The floor thickness must be drastically different.

But anyway, another trick to actually turning off the gamepad with the console running is to first boot up the console. The gamepad will fire up as well. After the "Nintendo" splash screen, it moves to the "Wii U" splash screen. The moment you see this screen, hold the power button. The gamepad will turn off before entering the main menu.

Home button > Display off doesn't turn off the gamepad. Power is being drained while the console is running.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
There's nothing wrong with optimizing time management. In fact, the less we waste this precious gift the better.
You like Anna, don't you know about returns on investment? :P
Any good capitalist can see that this is a small initial investment that reaps time and frustration savings down the road.
You completely made that **** up but good on you for trying xD.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Alternatively, you can just take the Gamepad to a different room and it will shut down after a while.

JipC

Smash Journeyman
Yeah its pretty dumb. I'll use the gamepad *just* for quick menu stuff, play Smash 4 for a few days, then come back to it for when I want to play Splatoon and bang, the Gamepad battery is drained just because I turned on the console.
So yeah I just turn on my console then leave it on the charging stand it came with all the time. If it bothered me that much though, yeah, thats a pretty nifty alternative.

They need to make an update where it automatically turns off after a set amount of time, preferably changeable. At most right now all you can do is make the screen dim after a while but thats it.

Last edited:

Kasai

Smash Journeyman
You completely made that **** up but good on you for trying xD.
What did he make up? The fact that taking 10 minutes to make this would, over the course of a month/year+ save significantly more time than having to do a different method that would have to be performed every time?

Spend 10 minutes one time or spend 30 seconds every time you turn on console. After 20 times you have already broken even. You can't make up math.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
What did he make up? The fact that taking 10 minutes to make this would, over the course of a month/year+ save significantly more time than having to do a different method that would have to be performed every time?

Spend 10 minutes one time or spend 30 seconds every time you turn on console. After 20 times you have already broken even. You can't make up math.
I meant to say that he pulled that out of his ass to appease me and I applaud him for it. Probably should've worded that better.

Top Bottom