• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guaranteed Rest Combos?

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
I've gotten away with Sing->Rest on dumber foes, but people who know that they can mash out have escaped it at over 100%. If you sense your opponent is a moron you could try it, but don't risk it if you think they know better.

Freezie KO

Smash Journeyman
I've had success with Sing -> Rest. It's easiest to nail when dashing at the opponent and then as soon as you "feel" you're pushing into them, you slide the Circle Pad to down and immediately hit B. If they start waking up, I just dash and Pound.

Zeallyx

Fox mains get all the girlz
It seems quite some character's dash attack approaches can be rested out of shield.

Heck, let's punish all grounded horizontally moving moves with rests OoS.

Especially ZSS'.

Also, sing seems to beat Sonic's whatever rolling attack it is approach. He'll just slide past you while sleeping, lol.

Last edited:

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
It helps if their roll distance is the same or nearly the same as yours. I do a lot of fighting in the air against opponents, so if can keep batting them back and forth with fair and bair then they'll be too frustrated to do a lot attacking if they ever hit the ground.

Freezie KO

Smash Journeyman
Not a guaranteed combo, but I had some great success with a Greninja that liked to dair. Spot dodge -> Rest.

C4RDIN4L

Hachachacha
NNID
zbot09
3DS FC
3454-1311-6010
Switch FC
SW 4949 5867 3952
oh, another one i just thought of, when kirby is stoned on the ground, as soon as he starts transforming back you can rest him easily. just run up to him and wait kufufu :3 most kirbys don't expect this ;D

drakeirving

Smash Journeyman
You can totally do that, but "most Kirbys" is probably an overstatement. Any good Kirby should know Stone is punishable and anyone who knows the Jiggs matchup just shouldn't be using it unless it's safe.

C4RDIN4L

Hachachacha
NNID
zbot09
3DS FC
3454-1311-6010
Switch FC
SW 4949 5867 3952
let me rephrase, the noobs that get on for glory and don't know what jiggs is capable of don't expect this. most people think jiggs is a joke character. good kirbys still fall for it sometimes too ;3

Uberlord

Smash Rookie
Against predictable foes, I usually air dodge into their aerial and then rest. Not really a combo, but works decently well

SyncNatsyu

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3007-8406-9326

PandaEffect

Smash Cadet
Hmm I wonder if this works on others. Does anyone know if jr. gets the reduced dmg for hitting his koopa car during hitstun?

How are you comboing pound into rest? Its our longest recovery move.
So far I can connect the 3 hit combo on everyone. Starting % just varies a bit per character but its nothing super strict.

Ex: I can get it on Mario from 25% to 35%, obviously killing at 35.

goatdude18

Smash Rookie
Hmm I wonder if this works on others. Does anyone know if jr. gets the reduced dmg for hitting his koopa car during hitstun?

How are you comboing pound into rest? Its our longest recovery move.
Go to training mode, or for glory and fish for 0% side-b's and then go for rest. I've been able to get this on everyone except others Jiggs (but I haven't tried it on every character) It works 100% on Dr Mario.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZqw1miV7ws

I'm getting this to work pretty consistently. Works around the 35%~ range.
It looks like you're getting them to jump/run into the ending frames of Forward-B rather than outright punishing endlag. That makes this mostly exclusive to (l)edgeguarding, where they have an incentive to move toward you, and even then, requiring your opponent to do most of the work/setup. It does have the advantage of letting you hit-confirm it ("Did I hit the very end? Let me rest after this F-Air" vs. "Oh, I didn't get it late enough; let's just go for general pressure after F-Air"), though, which is something. I realize you said you have to hit with the very end of it, but it shouldn't be understated how situational this is.

In other news, I'm pretty sure D-Air -> double-jump Rest is a reliable way to land it at percents where it would KO afterward (25-40% range before the D-Air, depending on character). What I've been doing/need to practice is getting them caught in it early (can be used out-of-shield on some moves/characters and is a solid spacing tool), drifting away so that you guarantee they get popped forward at the end, then drifting forward near the last hit. This allows you to already be at full air speed when they fly away, which allows you to catch up with them in a way that starting to move forward right at the final hit does not.

Last edited:

PandaEffect

Smash Cadet
It looks like you're getting them to jump/run into the ending frames of Forward-B rather than outright punishing endlag. That makes this mostly exclusive to (l)edgeguarding, where they have an incentive to move toward you, and even then, requiring your opponent to do most of the work/setup. It does have the advantage of letting you hit-confirm it ("Did I hit the very end? Let me rest after this F-Air" vs. "Oh, I didn't get it late enough; let's just go for general pressure after F-Air"), though, which is something. I realize you said you have to hit with the very end of it, but it shouldn't be understated how situational this is.

In other news, I'm pretty sure D-Air -> double-jump Rest is a reliable way to land it at percents where it would KO afterward (25-40% range before the D-Air, depending on character). What I've been doing/need to practice is getting them caught in it early (can be used out-of-shield on some moves/characters and is a solid spacing tool), drifting away so that you guarantee they get popped forward at the end, then drifting forward near the last night. This allows you to already be at full air speed when they fly away, which allows you to catch up with them in a way that starting to move forward right at the final hit does not.
Neat, I'll try that later.
I was using the CPUs jump into pound because of how awkward it was to record while playing, since it made it easier.
However, I could still time/space a pound to hit late enough to follow up with fair to rest on a standing opponent and it registering as a combo.

Bonk!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IPAVGSSB
3DS FC
2638-1531-9991
I haven't read the entire page yet so sorry if somebody said this already, but I found that you can rest out of getting jab comboed. Some characters that have the rapid jabs (like Mac) where you can act out of are able to be beaten by mashing rest. It's kindof like trying to counter out of combos with Marth, Shulk, etc.

It's actually quite useful for gimping them if they jab combo you at around kill percent.

EDIT: I'm not sure if this tactic hits reliably because I've only tried it a couple of times and haven't missed with it, but if somebody knows this doesn't always work feel free to tell me.

Last edited:

PandaEffect

Smash Cadet
I haven't read the entire page yet so sorry if somebody said this already, but I found that you can rest out of getting jab comboed. Some characters that have the rapid jabs (like Mac) where you can act out of are able to be beaten by mashing rest. It's kindof like trying to counter out of combos with Marth, Shulk, etc.

It's actually quite useful for gimping them if they jab combo you at around kill percent.

EDIT: I'm not sure if this tactic hits reliably because I've only tried it a couple of times and haven't missed with it, but if somebody knows this doesn't always work feel free to tell me.
I haven't tested this out because it's hard alone, but I've gotten a lot of them to work.
The best thing is that even if you miss because you are slightly too far you'll just wake up with the continuation of their jab and won't take a heavy punish.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I was doing it to a Falco and a Little Mac today. I imagine I'll make a list in the next few days.

Last edited:

Kaddy

Smash Journeyman
I've got a match I had earlier that has some guaranteed rest combos. I'll post it later as examples.

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
I'm kinda surprised to know sing into rest isnt a guaranteed combo. i actually caught a few people with that on FOr Glory today.lol

There was a falcon player though who managed to wake up in time and side dodged it.

Last edited:

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
I'm kinda surprised to know sing into rest isnt a guaranteed combo. i actually caught a few people with that on FOr Glory today.lol

There was a falcon player though who managed to wake up in time and side dodged it.
you can mash out like a grab

proxibomb

Smash Clown
Around the 50s in percents, an up-tilt should send your opponent high enough for you to do a short hop into a rest. Usually, it'll throw above the blast zone, but this won't work with huge stages/huge vertical blast zones.

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Every input causes you to wake up from Rest or be freed from a grab x frames faster (probably 4 frames).

Last edited:

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
I wish Rest was jump cancelable so I can combo rest into rest and KO the cast under 10%. Oh, that would also make it positive on block.

But for real, Fair to Rest is amazing, I said it once and Ill say it it again and again. Especially weak fair, it works on every character.

itsReaLitY

Smash Cadet
NNID
LoZ_MartineZ
Ok so how exactly do you uair into rest? Ive tried and it just doesn't seem to work.

Top Bottom