• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Greninja General Discussion Thread - The Coolest Pokémon Ever Is Now Confirmed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
It would certainly be interesting if you could customize it to have paralysis though.

Unless it was shown in the direct as otherwise though, I kinda bet it'll only apy to specials. Hmm...

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
It would certainly be interesting if you could customize it to have paralysis though.

Unless it was shown in the direct as otherwise though, I kinda bet it'll only apy to specials. Hmm...
If there is an option to give it stunning properties, then I could imagine it being a really efficient tool for being able to start aerial combos.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
It's a tilt yeah? It looked like it had a pretty slow start up for one. There has to be something to compensate for that.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
It's a tilt yeah? It looked like it had a pretty slow start up for one. There has to be something to compensate for that.
The tongue is his up tilt, while his up smash is swinging two water blades above his head.

The tongue attack appears to be slow, but have good range.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
The tongue is his up tilt, while his up smash is swinging two water blades above his head.

The tongue attack appears to be slow, but have good range.
Not only that, but he gets so low to the ground while doing it. If that's a disjoint that'll be a great anti air (no idea if his tongue counts though)

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Ah yeah, I didn't take range and the hitbox into consideration. Fair enough, then.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Also, I'm hoping Greninja's down smash is Mat Block, where he flips a tatami similar to Baiken's Tatami Gaeshi attack.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559

I am extremely hyped that the X/Y Elite 4 are getting their own stage. The setting was probably the most visually impressive in the entire game, PLUS this guarantees that we'll be getting a kick ass remix to a kick ass song:

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration

I am extremely hyped that the X/Y Elite 4 are getting their own stage. The setting was probably the most visually impressive in the entire game, PLUS this guarantees that we'll be getting a kick *** remix to a kick *** song:

Just gotta say, I LOVE that Gif now. I don't care how good or bad USmash is, I want all my kills to be with it.

My favorite X and Y song by far. Hoping we also get some Champion Cynthia in there.

Yikarur

Smash Master
That Stage looks amazing.
Greninja will definitely be my second main candidate beside Yoshi.
hype

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Seems to me Greninja has a lot of range despite his slow moves. I'm liking him more and more.

Also the best thing about the stage is that we're getting the legendary theme, although that's pretty obvious. I actually don't like neither the E4 member and champion themes. :V I personally hope we get other gen "boss" themes, Gen 2 gym and Gen 3 champion themes specifically.
I just realized this is the first E4 stage as well. Huh.

Last edited:

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
Just gotta say, I LOVE that Gif now. I don't care how good or bad USmash is, I want all my kills to be with it.

My favorite X and Y song by far. Hoping we also get some Champion Cynthia in there.
Cynthia is cool and all, but Diantha's theme is better.

D

Deleted member

Diantha's theme is definitely the best theme.
What about the Kanto Champion Theme? That song has mysteriously been unheard in Smash, despite arguably being one of the most iconic songs from Pokemon.
The Kanto Champion Theme is my favorite Pokemon battle song and I hope it makes it onto the Elite Four stage.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Dude, Cynthia's theme was so much better, imo. But perhaps that's because I actually felt excited about fghting her. With Diantha is was more of a letdown. "her?" was my reaction.

And I agree with Brawler, the original final battle theme is just fantastic and should be in that stage

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
In terms of E4 champion themes...

Gary (Gen 1) > Cynthia (Gen 4) > Diantha (Gen 6) > Iris (Gen 5) > Alder (Gen 5) > Steven/Wallace (Gen 3) > Lance (Gen 2)

My bad for getting us off topic. I just love video game music. :p

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
I was thinking: since we've got a water-type in Greninja, and fire-type with Charizard, should we be expecting a grass-type Pokemon reveal at some point?

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
I was thinking: since we've got a water-type in Greninja, and fire-type with Charizard, should we be expecting a grass-type Pokemon reveal at some point?
I think it'd be great and an awesome surprise, but if it does happen it would be at the cost of Jigglypuff or Mewtwo.

Popo Nana Power

Smash Apprentice
A new Grass-type rep seems unlikely to me. The most I could see is Ivysaur coming back somehow, but I doubt it.

If there was a new Grass starter, I'd choose Chesnaught, he's my fave out of those.

Anyway, really glad Greninja made it in. He's my favorite starter of all time. X3 Empoleon being close second. http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/a/a0/395Empoleon_Dream.png

Mewtwo seems likely to return, but I'd kinda like another Pokémon newcomer besides Greninja. But I can't really think of anyone else who would fit. :/ There's Gardevoir, I guess. She's pretty popular and kinda relevant in the new games. Might be unique too.

I'd like Garchomp, but I dunno if they'd ever consider him. Eh, I guess there doesn't need to be any other Pokémon newcomers.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
I just realized that the stance Greninja is in in Smash Bros. is the same stance he has in Pokemon

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I love this so much. Sakurai did a fine job with this Pokemon.
I agree. I'm glad to see this, because his animations in the game were pretty great.
Seems like he's sticking closer to source material this time, what with upright Bowser (less like Godzilla and more like himself) and with upright Yoshi (more like recent games).

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
He puts a lot of work in this game. Is there any move Greninja learns that has to do with swords? I see Greninja with two water swords, but I'm not sure if he has a move with that, or if it is just a move he was given.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
He puts a lot of work in this game. Is there any move Greninja learns that has to do with swords? I see Greninja with two water swords, but I'm not sure if he has a move with that, or if it is just a move he was given.
He doesn't even get Swords Dance in the games (the closest sword-related thing is Night Slash)! :'( Sakurai has righted a wrong and it makes me so happy (look at my avatar to see how happy I am). #WaterSwords2014

Last edited:

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
No, Greninja doesn't have a sword move. But he does make shurikens out of water, so it isn't much of a stretch for him to make swords out of water too.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
I guess that makes sense. I never used greninja (Chesnaught FTW), so I wasn't sure if it had a move like that.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Champion themes only? Where we're going, we don't need Champions.

Obviously after Team Flare/Rocket/filler.

Like any single one of these.

And lastly, can't forget the console games.

Think the last two in particular really fit Greninja.

Probably late as hell since I've been working on it all day, but if even half of those get in, I'll be more than happy.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
There is no such thing as "offtopic" on a Social Thread lol
I love the GSC Rival Battle and Rocket Executive themes. Then the GSC Johto Gym Leaders theme, as well as Kanto's. Then there is Elite Four's from GSC and DPP.
I also loved the Gym Leader theme from XY

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Probably late as hell since I've been working on it all day, but if even half of those get in, I'll be more than happy.
Completely forgot about the Colress theme... Now THAT is a bad ass tune that needs to get in.

There is no such thing as "offtopic" on a Social Thread lol
For some reason I thought this was the move-set speculation thread when I said that. #derp

FangnierFernious

Smash Apprentice
Though Greninja isn't my favorite Pokemon it will be fun to use it. Also is it just me or is Greninja seeming like a combination of Meta Knight and Lucario. I mean it teleports, has a very powerful projectile, a similar counter to Lucarios. I can't be the only one seeing this.

UnSaxon51

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UnSaxon51
3DS FC
0619-3482-4034
Switch FC
SW 1864 9526 0695
I'd say it's more of a combination of Lucario and Sheik, what with the whole ninja thing.

Last edited:

FangnierFernious

Smash Apprentice
Possibly all three. I mentioned Meta Knight because of the teleporting with Shadow Sneak. Either way I have a bad feeling Greninja may end up banned from tournaments here just like Meta Knight was.

Amical

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Amical
3DS FC
1306-6214-4139
Possibly all three. I mentioned Meta Knight because of the teleporting with Shadow Sneak. Either way I have a bad feeling Greninja may end up banned from tournaments here just like Meta Knight was.
Eh, I really don't think Greninja will be broken like that. As discussed in the "Meta Knight 2.0" thread, the trailers, pictures, and footage of all the newcomers has made each new character look amazingly powerful in some fashion.
But even if he does turn out to be overpowered in any way, I'm still going to love him<3

KERO

Smash Journeyman
Given the sheer amount of stage control it looks like Greninja is going to have, I'd pin him at at least high tier, though. As someone who mained Olimar in Brawl looking at Greninja (from what we've seen), I don't think I'll mind giving up a bit of range for more movement options haha.

Amical

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Amical
3DS FC
1306-6214-4139
Yes, I'm certain he'll at least be in a higher tier. Greninja's going to be awesome, guys.
(He already was from the start)!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom