• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grand Viper UNSTOPPABLE

eastheaven

Smash Ace
so i heard about this good move from my friend, and he told me to come here to ask about it
he says it's really good but he won't use it on me because he says he's going easy on me and if he does this move, he will be unbeatable

what is it and can i really beat it??!

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
It's only good for mindgames. Projectiles and attacks that outprioritize this move makes Grand Viper useless.

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
*cries*

I can already picture the great amount of Ike n00bs telling you how "great" the Grand Viper is, when its easily one of the most over-hyped, overused, and worst named moves that this board has ever created.

Grand Viper (Side-B into U-tilt) is moderately fast, and does quite a bit of damage. However, it's extremely predictable and can be canceled out by many attacks, especially projectiles.

Side-B in itself is a great way to space quickly as Ike, but even then its very predictable and therefore highly punishable in high level play. Most of the time, the best attacks to follow up the Side-B IS NOT U-tilt, but rather a Jab, Grab or short-hopped Nair, as they are all MUCH faster. F-tilt will give better range and far more power at relatively the same lag. >.>

Simply put, the Grand Viper itself is far from unstoppable. In fact, I wouldn't recommend using it at all. Ike has better options out of the Side-B, and has FAR better options approaching from the air. >.>

Dlt

Smash Rookie
Lasers, gyros, and spot dodge make ease of quick draw.

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
It's not even a move. Unless you're playing Guilty Gear.

TheKneeOfJustice

Smash Lord
Grand Viper Is The Best Move Ever! I Get Wrecked By This All The Time! I Want To Know How To Beat It Too! Graaaaannnnnddddddddddd Viiiiiiiiippeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrr!

I hear Kirk was the first person to ever do this. Only he did it in real life! And when he did it, Ike sprung into existence!

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
Haha, this is funny. Kirk must know a lot of guys to be able to pull this off.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
One time Kirk went to a Gamestop tournament in Pennsylvania...Won, but got disqualified for using the Grand Viper. He lost out on 5,000$ because of it.

But he's a true man.

blade_master99

Smash Rookie
*cries*

I can already picture the great amount of Ike n00bs telling you how "great" the Grand Viper is, when its easily one of the most over-hyped, overused, and worst named moves that this board has ever created.

Grand Viper (Side-B into U-tilt) is moderately fast, and does quite a bit of damage. However, it's extremely predictable and can be canceled out by many attacks, especially projectiles.

Side-B in itself is a great way to space quickly as Ike, but even then its very predictable and therefore highly punishable in high level play. Most of the time, the best attacks to follow up the Side-B IS NOT U-tilt, but rather a Jab, Grab or short-hopped Nair, as they are all MUCH faster. F-tilt will give better range and far more power at relatively the same lag. >.>

Simply put, the Grand Viper itself is far from unstoppable. In fact, I wouldn't recommend using it at all. Ike has better options out of the Side-B, and has FAR better options approaching from the air. >.>
You obviously haven't played guilty gear before ( accent core to be specific) Watch Sol Badguy do his Grandviper.. But anyways everything else you said I completely agree with.

eastheaven

Smash Ace
well today i got him to 1 stock and almost got him , but he started dashing around with his side b and hitting me with his other attakcs he was so fast i could not escape
was that the grand viper?? it really is so good. i can beat all my other friends, and do alright vs this guy but when he starts attacking with it he is like a tank with a sowrd
how can i get around it !?? i'm almost good enough to be in tournament but i can see this being a really big problem in the future !! this is a really big problem !

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
normally when people use sarcasm, they're trying to be funny or make a point, but sounds like you just get off by lying then using a 7 letter word to cover it

good job bro

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Man it's a lot of Ike threads around here. O_o

But I don't find the Grand Viper that use full when it comes to people knowing when you going to realease the Side B. But how does one use my name to make a move about it? XD

Tenki

Smash Hero
well today i got him to 1 stock and almost got him , but he started dashing around with his side b and hitting me with his other attakcs he was so fast i could not escape
was that the grand viper?? it really is so good. i can beat all my other friends, and do alright vs this guy but when he starts attacking with it he is like a tank with a sowrd
how can i get around it !?? i'm almost good enough to be in tournament but i can see this being a really big problem in the future !! this is a really big problem !
If you meant he used side B and did something like a jab out of it instead of a slash, then he's relying on it to move around.

One thing you can do personally is to use Ike for like 10 minutes, go to training mode (or go to the practice room online - the lines are really helpful) and see how far his quickdraw moves at 0 charge, 1 sec charge, and 2 sec charge. Once you get comfortable with that, you should be able to read your friend's moves. An annoying thing to happen to someone who's using side-B to move is to be interrupted. Stun projectiles, pikmin (Ike stops to attack them)

Also, if you know his range, you can screw around with it. If he fullcharges, you can try standing outside of its range (and outside of the AAA range that usually follows after it), and punish that when he comes, or move closer and spot dodge when he moves - he'll end up slashing at the air and you can punish that.

TheKneeOfJustice

Smash Lord
I don't know what you guys are trying to say, but you can't stop the Grand Viper. Kirk would not use a technique that can be countered so easily. The Grand Viper is single handedly the most metagame defining maneuver.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
I feel sorry for the people who have never seen Kirk do the Grand Viper in real life. It is truly a sight to behold.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
ROFL this is my frist time at the ike borads and this.... is what i see?!?! grand viper roflz1!!

Fenrir EX

Smash Rookie
Huh? It's really banned? When I read the description it sounds like a mediocre move, good in some situations. Why would they ban it? Can you make a video and put it on Youtube so we can see why it's so broken?

noobslayer

Smash Apprentice
It's Ike's best approach but projectiles in general block it.
Um, no it's not.
Aerial approach > GV 95% of the time.
Why is Quick Draw to Utilt even called Grand Viper?
I could just as easily call Nair to Jab Combo Cosmic Blaster or something ******** like that but I don't because there's no sense in it. =/

Dragon Master Lance

Smash Rookie
GrandViper is basically a joke, if your using Side-B Jab is the more common and one of the more efficient uses of the side-b, and is nowhere near unstoppable/unbeatable. GRANDVIPER< CAMPING, also what Tenki said with the spacing is another alternative to stopping it.

GenG

Smash Lord
Um, no it's not.
Aerial approach > GV 95% of the time.
Why is Quick Draw to Utilt even called Grand Viper?
I could just as easily call Nair to Jab Combo Cosmic Blaster or something ******** like that but I don't because there's no sense in it. =/
GV is usually more unpredictable and faster than Ike aerials and in my opinion is safer. Fair is also a good approach but if you don't space the move correcly, the after lag leaves you wide open.
I usually mix those two with some spaced dash attacks.

thewiredknight

Smash Journeyman
I have to agree that grand viper stinks with u-tilt. Generally I find the best moves are f-tilt (mostly for range) or just a jab combo. But the move has to really be mixed up otherwise you can easily be punished by guys who predict it.

QD is easily punished when it false connects, i.e. the opponent sidesteps or rolls into it. When they do that, Ike will do the finishing animation which has a lot of lag and he will get killed for it. So sometimes you have to come up really short to prevent that and other times go in all the way so they don't see it coming.

Kirk

Smash Champion
You guys, seriously...the Grand Viper is unstoppable.

You know what that means, right? It can NOT be stopped.

Use it as your approach every time. You will win guaranteed.

That's why I got disqualified at the tourney for using it. It's just too good.

Top Bottom