• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grand Old Thread: League of Legends!

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
+100

I played against a Sion(flash/ignite)- Garen (exhaust/ghost) lane the other day as solo-Kennen and I was advised that my best bet was to go farm the jungle and let them take the early tower. I'm usually not one to say a lane is impossible to play against because I personally am having trouble with it, because there's always a chance I'm doing something wrong but... I can easily and confidently say that lane was impossible. <.<

They kept the creeps at a neutral position in the lane and camped the bush closest to my tower. Usually that's not a problem, but they didn't bother last hitting and instead just focused on denying me experience. I couldn't stand close enough to the creeps at any point in the lane without risking a flash-> stun-> shield blowup-> ignite from sion followed up by silence-> spin to win from Garen with exhaust/ghost to help if I lightning rushed away. >_>

What is one supposed to do in that lane? I don't feel like I can count on the jungler to stay in the lane with me most of the time because they're usually pretty bad at laning in the first place, and they'll probably just get owned too. Is the best answer REALLY to just let the tower fall?
oh, well if sona's on the 2v1 with anyone other than Soraka Bot, you are 100% ****ed. Pirate can play the lane by pulling creep and getting experience, but he's still hugely ****ed, you can't even last hit melee creep on the tower without eating sona harass that will lead to garen diving and killing you. as I've said before, I don't fully understand what people have against no jungle and just ****** the 1v2, but for some reason people don't do it. as kennen, yea, I would just camp my tower and grab last hits whenever I can, you can't touch either of the opposing heroes. I would honestly call for a lane switch with bottom, which would normally be conceding dragon control, but since the opposing team has no jungler, it would work out alright + your jungler would be hovering around dragon anyway and thus be more readily available to assist you bot should you need it.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Woo hoo I lost 120 ELO in 2 days! From above Azen (again) to ELO hell! Yessss. Played 4 games in a row today. 3 had our captain not banning Corki (and the other team getting Corki/Janna all 3 times) and the last game we had a vlad who started feeding as soon as the game started because our team wouldn't let him solo (he was last pick).

You know, doing doctor stuff is less stressful than playing LoL. Duo queue captains and low ELO players in general make this game a living hell. Saving lives is ****ing easier.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Woo hoo I lost 120 ELO in 2 days! From above Azen (again) to ELO hell! Yessss. Played 4 games in a row today. 3 had our captain not banning Corki (and the other team getting Corki/Janna all 3 times) and the last game we had a vlad who started feeding as soon as the game started because our team wouldn't let him solo (he was last pick).

You know, doing doctor stuff is less stressful than playing LoL. Duo queue captains and low ELO players in general make this game a living hell. Saving lives is ****ing easier.
Duo queue captains was fixed, iirc.

Solo queue is a joke to begin with, though. Not sure why anybody would take it seriously.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
...because getting 5 people together can be a real ***** and when you get too high in ranked 5s, you can sit in an hour long queue without a game (happens to the top rated teams now). Solo queue is a good way to tryhard without a team, *shrugs*.

they said they fixed duo queue captains but they lied, lol. gj Riot QA imoimomo.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
not taking it seriously is asking for others to hate this game though.

it's really about just accepting that you will lose games where you play well and knowing when to quit for the night (either because you keep getting matched with the same trolls or because you're tilting hard enough to be detrimental to your team). At least IMO.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Unless I guess if SP is just searching for people he'd trust to do arranged with him.

Taking it seriously though is just asking to hate this game. lmao.
Agreed.

@Mogwai: Sure, if you like getting random people whos skill and cooperativeness you can't guarantee.

Dekar173

Justice Man
Maybe they could fix stacking period by making each subsequent buy of an item cost more (minus consumables?)

Edit: I'm level 18 and a half now with 12k IP. I'm gonna need about that much for runes at level 20, but do you think that I could buy a 3k champ now and have enough left for my runes by the time I hit 20?
Forgot to answer this and I'm just hoping someone of the 8 people in this thread has posted by the time this gets up ;p

Most good quints are 2050, and you'll need 2 (by the time you're 20).

Depends on your mark, seal, and glyph choice though. I go for laning phase builds depending on high MR and Armor from seals/glyphs, then round it out with attack speed so I can farm neutrals/lanes quickly later on, and because it helps my hybrids better than ArPen or Mpen.

My runes are cheap in comparison to CdR or Mp5 runes though :O Which is probably what you want with mana casters/carries or if your current builds don't give you that mregen.

@Mogwai- I think you know what I mean. You can always try your hardest, but just because you're losing doesn't mean you're the one failing, so don't let it bother you. It's going to happen, you're going to lose in solo queue, and you're going to have losing streaks. It's inevitable as that's what happens when you play with random people!

Arranged though, that's where you bring your carecup and perhaps a tent or two for when things go bad.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
Arranged 5s are more frustrating than SoloQ by far for me. The way my Arr5 elo works is like, alternated Stomping games with going up against smgzy + jatt's team or L0CUST's team or CLG or some other assortment of top 50 players :p.

re-runes, you're a Kennen player, so you're boned bro :p. Seriously, his rune page was such a ***** to put together just because of Seals... ideally you want:
MPen on Reds (410 each, good investment)
Energy Regen/Level on Yellows (820 each, TERRIBLE investment, only good on Kennen, but they're seriously necessary if you plan on playing a ton of Kennen)
AP/level or MRes/level or Flat MRes on Blues (205 for the MRes variants, 410 for the AP/level, pretty good investments, all of them)
Flat AP or MPen on Quints (1025 for either, decent caster investments)

I mean, the ideal sort of starter-set of runes would be something like...

Armor Pen and Magic Pen Marks
Mana Regen/Level and Flat Armor Seals
Flat MRes OR MRes/Level Glyphs
Flat HP???????? Quints

Basically, Glyphs are all pretty meh, so you can get away with a single set of MRes Glyphs since they're a big help on everyone. I mean, lots of people like AP/level, Mana Regen/Level, and Flat CDs on Glyphs too, but again, you can just get away with MRes on all.

Marks are straightforward, but you really need both. Penetration on Marks is irreplaceable and really efficient, but if you have variety in playing Physical vs. Magical characters, you need both.

Seals are a nightmare because there are lots of good options that rotate around depending on champions. The 1 big plus is that MOST mana-using, non-junglers run mana regen/level because buying mana regen items suck and they're really good. Armor is a nice way to easy yourself into jungling and they're cheap and help in laning with non-mana users, so I think they're the best cheap alternative on Yellows. HP/level and Dodge are both also very good and universally useful, but they're both 820, while flat armor is 205.

Quints are such a nightmare... I mean, you can get away with just Flat HP Quints on everyone, but it's not optimal on anyone. Essentially, Flat HP is the #2, #3, or #4 option for every champ on quints, but like, if you ever want to get serious about playing DPS, you need the Armor Pen Quints, most high level tanks run Move Speed Quints, most high level junglers run Attack Speed Quints, most high level mages run Flat AP or Magic Pen Quints. Pantheons run Flat AD Quints now. Some people run Flat CDRs. etc etc etc, they're a nightmare.
tl;dr: probably should just get flat HP until you really find yourself in the game.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Random tangent: How do you all rune Singed?

I go with Movespeed quints, Mpen reds, AP blues, and dodge yellows. The entire point is to synergize with Boots3 + FoN + Nimbleness for ultra-trolling through minion waves.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
uhhh

Ap/level on the blues and mana regen/level on the yellows for me. 21 utility is too strong and SoS >>>>> Nimbleness, especially on singed.
Not for trolling.

:troll:

That's really all Singed is good for.

Also: Stat/level is overrated. The early levels are where you gain momentum and thus where you need the most stats. Planning for the late game is silly because there's never a gaurantee you'll play the lategame.

Dekar173

Justice Man
flat armor > dodge for all except jax.

Armor works against parley, siphoning strike, sword of the divine (since its buff I've seen it a little bit more,) and even for jungling it is better.

If you're a lucky piece of ****, get dodge runes.

Ignatius

List Evader
BRoomer
d-blade on the other hand looks like this:
D-Blade
120 HP * 475 gold/180 HP (ruby crystal) = 316.67 gold
6 AD * 410 gold/10 AD (long sword) = 246 gold
4% lifesteal * 450 gold/12% lifesteal (vapiric scepter) = 150 gold
Total worth = 712.67 gold

so just on sheer stat value, d-blade gives 63.8% more gold worth of stats. So not only are we cramming a bunch of useful stats onto a single, low-cost item, but we're making those stats dirt cheap, and in the case of d-blade, highly relevant throughout the entire game (lifesteal is necessary but doesn't really have good items to fill the niche... except for d-blade). like, I get where people are coming from with the comparison, but it's not actually legitimate because of just how stupidly good the stats on d-blades are.
Your DotA numbers are off mostly due to them being old, but that's not really too big a deal. 150 for wraith band recipe, 170 null, and 190 Bracer; with an additional +3 damage tacked onto the item.

Other than that, agreed fully, dorans blade gives too much for the cost, and dislike people using the analogy of stacking them early.

fkacyan

Smash Hero

Armor works against parley, siphoning strike, sword of the divine (since its buff I've seen it a little bit more,) and even for jungling it is better.

Dodges proc Nimbleness when ghosting through creeps.

I like flat HP more than Armor depending on the champion.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer

you're ignoring nimbleness procs and stuff like if you have a 1% dodge and 10 HP, you might not die to that last shot from trist, whereas if you have 10 HP and 1.5 more armor, you're dying to that last shot from trist. outside of jungling, I'd argue that dodge is stronger in most cases, but they're pretty comparable.

Your DotA numbers are off mostly due to them being old, but that's not really too big a deal. 150 for wraith band recipe, 170 null, and 190 Bracer; with an additional +3 damage tacked onto the item.

Other than that, agreed fully, dorans blade gives too much for the cost, and dislike people using the analogy of stacking them early.
yea, those dota numbers were just from recollection so that's what they were like when I stopped playing a little over a year ago.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
The other nice thing about dodge is that you avoid any on hit effects that would normally occur if you got hit. That extra armor won't stop you from getting slowed or eating any debuffs, while dodge can spare you from that. Of course it's all luck based, but not everything can be a guarantee.

Dodge vs Armor you also have to take into consideration how much armor you plan on having. If you're gonna play a 200+ armor tank, having 14ish armor early game might seem like a tiny benefit compared to ~7% dodge throughout the game. If you are playing Squishy Caster, that extra armor stretches early on stretches pretty far.

Armor is the safer choice, Dodge is more dynamic/scales better late game when it kicks in.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Nimbleness?

I rarely see anyone do 0/9/21, most everyone wants that 15% mpen
I don't run full utility because that ****'s boring and not as great for trolling.

And Singed is a troll! Seriously, he can't fill the tank role well enough to take him seriously as one.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Lol try out 3s you'll see Singed at his finest.
I'd rather play Mundo, the true god of 3s.

I mean, Singed is one of my mains, I play him in both 3s and 5s all the time, he's just not a true tank so much as a troll tank. he has to have a lot of synergy (Any better tanks will have even more of this) or play complete idiots to really shine.

@Mogwai: How did you not ban him and mundo rofl

Dekar173

Justice Man
damage reduction = x/(x+100) where x = armor

Let's assume you, at level 18 and excluding runes, plan on having 200 armor.

Damage reduction = 66.6%

So, you're effectively taking 1/3 the physical damage you should be.

Let's throw dodges into there, at 6.75%, you're further reducing your autoattack damage taken by .0675/3 = .0225 = 2.25%

So you're now taking 31.08...% damage

Now let's calculate your damage taken if you throw flat armors in there instead.

215/315 = .6825... 1-x = 31.75% damage

Now let's think of early game.

20 starting armor is typical, so-

Dodge damage reduction:

20/120 = 16.6% damage reduction

5/6x.0675 = 5.625% further damage reduction

22.225%

OR

Armor damage reduction:

35/135 = 25.92%

I, being unlucky, prefer the Garen-tee that I'll be taking less damage, as when I have 40% crit chance I tend to not crit entire minion waves, or get crited 3-4 times in a row by full health level 1 tryndameres.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
damage reduction = x/(x+100) where x = armor

Let's assume you, at level 18 and excluding runes, plan on having 200 armor.

Damage reduction = 66.6%

So, you're effectively taking 1/3 the physical damage you should be.

Let's throw dodges into there, at 6.75%, you're further reducing your autoattack damage taken by .0675/3 = .0225 = 2.25%

So you're now taking 31.08...% damage

Now let's calculate your damage taken if you throw flat armors in there instead.

215/315 = .6825... 1-x = 31.75% damage

Now let's think of early game.

20 starting armor is typical, so-

Dodge damage reduction:

20/120 = 16.6% damage reduction

5/6x.0675 = 5.625% further damage reduction

22.225%

OR

Armor damage reduction:

35/135 = 25.92%

I, being unlucky, prefer the Garen-tee that I'll be taking less damage, as when I have 40% crit chance I tend to not crit entire minion waves, or get crited 3-4 times in a row by full health level 1 tryndameres.
Oh if I was playing seriously I would go for armor, but there's nothing like running through a creep wave with ghost and nimbleness up along with the ultimate to catch that poor, poor champion who only just rethought chasing you once he hit 20% hp.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
I give up. Taking an LoL break for a bit. I've lost nearly 200 ELO in 2 days. Team after team after team filled with some of the worst players I can imagine making HORRIBLE choices constantly while refusing to listen to advice. I don't know why MM does this to me.

This game is getting less and less worth playing for me because when I finally get to an ELO where games are fun again and I can rely on my allies to be where they're supposed to be, all it takes is a series of 3 bad games in a row to put me in an ELO that drags me down again. This ******** yo-yo system drains what little fun I can derive from playing with/against players worse than me, and makes games that I lose into stressful, hair-pulling events.

When I lose in a game when I have good teammates against good enemies, I can honestly say I had fun. I haven't had a game like that in weeks.

M3D

In the Game of Thrones, You Morph or You Die
BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
OK, just watched you destroy that team on your stream as Shen. We should talk about Shen a bit here because I was kinda surprised by a few things... first, you rushed Sunfire, which I usually buy 2nd or 3rd in my build order. Second, you didn't take Feint at all early. Why not level your main tanking skill? I mean, that team was a bunch of donkeys that let you roll over them in 20 minutes, but still, I would think you would want your damage shield regardless.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
OK, just watched you destroy that team on your stream as Shen. We should talk about Shen a bit here because I was kinda surprised by a few things... first, you rushed Sunfire, which I usually buy 2nd or 3rd in my build order. Second, you didn't take Feint at all early. Why not level your main tanking skill? I mean, that team was a bunch of donkeys that let you roll over them in 20 minutes, but still, I would think you would want your damage shield regardless.
Rule one of build orders: Almost all characters must be flexible.

For example, I usually go for youmuu's first as irelia, but if they're a magic heavy team i might get hexdrinker first to mitigate some of that bull****. He was clearly in a position where it was OK for him to ignore feint and just get sunfire instead of other build items.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
yea, basically i was gonna get aegis and then I realized I could just buy sunfire on first back, sooooooooooooooo I did. basically I wanted to cut off their possible sources of income after we took bot by jacking up their jungle and as you probably know, sunfire basically doubles shen's jungle speed.

getting feint was me being tired, lol. I should've gotten 1 point at 4 and then left it untouched for awhile. it's not a very good damage shield, but it still would've saved me from that stupid tower shot, lol.

M3D

In the Game of Thrones, You Morph or You Die
BRoomer
NNID
Argonaut1
Just had the kind of games that make you want to quit the game forever...

Game 1: we're TF, Lux, Garen, Mummy, Fiddle against Twitch, Teemo, Veigar, Jax, LeBlanc... they have NO TANKS and we have two of the best tanks. I go 3-0 in mid as Lux, including first blood, against LeBlanc. Our Mummy goes 0-7 in the first SEVEN MINUTES of the game. Guess what we discovered?

HEUHEUHEUHEU JAJAJAJJAJAJA BR IS THE BEST!!! WHY YOU PLAY BAD CHAMP?

Oh yeah baby... Mummy and Fiddle are two bad BR players sitting in a cafe together, sucking the fun out of my night of LoL. He finishes 1-11, feeding their twitch so hard he ALMOST pentakills our team solo. It was pathetic.

THEN... we start a game and I'm jungling. Within 1 min, our Sona dies in bottom lane. Then Garen dies. Then Sona dies again. I gank, get a couple of kills and then suddenly both Janna and Sona disconnect and leave the game completely. So we're 3-5 and just sit in the fountain until the other team can end it.

john!

Smash Hero
Anyone else heard about this? Next new champ apparently, thank God it's probably not another human.

Decompose: Whenever an enemy dies near Trundle, he is healed for 4% of their maximum health.

Rabid Bite: Trundle leans in and savagely bites his opponent, dealing physical damage and sapping their Attack Damage stat for himself. "On-Next-Attack" functionality.

Contaminate: Trundle afflicts the ground around him with his curse, gaining a massive movement speed, attack speed and crowd control reduction boost as long as he stays on it.

Pillar of Filth: Trundle raises a pillar of filth at target location, blocking collision next to it and eminating a slow aura around it.

Agony (ultimate): Trundle immediately drains hp, armor and magic resist from an opponent, and drains these values once again over the course of the next 6 seconds. Trundle gains these stats for himself.

http://pastebin.com/RAQzBhu0

L__

Smash Master
with the description of those skills I thought of Kog'maw

on an unrelated note, I like Brolaf

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Sounds like Urgot as far as the synergy of his moves with one another goes.

Bunch of random things.

I guess we'll see. :>

Top Bottom