• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Got a question! Sheik Q&A & FAQ

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
its the same for all tethers you can drop one frame after grabing the ledge you get like 30 frames of invul or something like that. more than enough for invul fair and bairs. I use those to muscle my way on stage some times.

eveningninja

Smash Apprentice
^ Could you re-explain that for a n00b? Invulerable fairs/bairs sounds good to me but I don't really know what you mean on how to do that. Thanks.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
You have far less forced ledge time (or none, I never did look it up) when grabbing the ledge from a tether. In this case, the chain. While you also have reduced invulnerability, you can still drop from the ledge with an aerial while your ledge invulnerability is still active.

eveningninja

Smash Apprentice
You have far less forced ledge time (or none, I never did look it up) when grabbing the ledge from a tether. In this case, the chain. While you also have reduced invulnerability, you can still drop from the ledge with an aerial while your ledge invulnerability is still active.
Oh cool. So just tap a button to snap to the ledge (once tethered), then press back immediately and as you're in the air you have a bit of invulnerability left?

Another Question
Experienced Sheik users (or I suppose this isn't TOO Sheik specific but just as a Brawler in general): do any of you use Clawing, or do you just hold the controller normally? I'm not asking because of DACUS, I can do that pretty well with setting R to attack. I'm just asking in regards to getting aerials out quicker for things like RARs and general spacing with Bairs.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Oh cool. So just tap a button to snap to the ledge (once tethered), then press back immediately and as you're in the air you have a bit of invulnerability left?
Yes.

Experienced Sheik users (or I suppose this isn't TOO Sheik specific but just as a Brawler in general): do any of you use Clawing, or do you just hold the controller normally? I'm not asking because of DACUS, I can do that pretty well with setting R to attack. I'm just asking in regards to getting aerials out quicker for things like RARs and general spacing with Bairs.
Not really.

eveningninja

Smash Apprentice
Do you think it would affect one's gameplay for the better if taken the time to learn to use properly? The main problem I am having with Clawing right now is the difficulty in short hopping. I feel like my aerials would have more dominance and speed if I use Clawing, but it also seems like hardly anyone does Clawing, so I just wonder why and if it really is even ideal (which is what I've heard from some).

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
It's hard, if you're so inclined, it could be useful, I think it's more important for characters w/ a huge demand for spacing like Marth since it can open up your movement a lot, but not a lot of people use it, because people are creatures of habit lol.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
I don't crawl... the only crawl I think I would ever use realistically is a backward crawl and sheik's is so slow that I just don't I guess.

Sheik's crawl is really underrated, I use it in a lot of mu's just to make my hitbox smaller, while moving. And since you can do anything that she can normally do while standing/walking out of it without any additional lag, it becomes a pretty strong option reducer to people who are approaching you.

eveningninja

Smash Apprentice
Does Sheik have chain grabs on anyone? And also, sort of a side question: when chain grabbing, do you use Z or Shield+A? Does it matter?

-Cross-

Smash Ace
Another Question
I claw. I recommend that you learn it b/c it maximizes efficient finger movement for anything that involves jump + attack input. Once you get short hopping down, instant aerials will be too easy. Also it took my a couple weeks before I could short hop with my index finger consistently, but once I got it, I've never screwed up. Even after six months of almost non-existent practicing, I can still short hop while clawing.

eveningninja

Smash Apprentice
I claw. I recommend that you learn it b/c it maximizes efficient finger movement for anything that involves jump + attack input. Once you get short hopping down, instant aerials will be too easy. Also it took my a couple weeks before I could short hop with my index finger consistently, but once I got it, I've never screwed up. Even after six months of almost non-existent practicing, I can still short hop while clawing.
Do you claw with index on Y or X? And also, once you learn to claw, do you use it all the time or just with some characters?

-Cross-

Smash Ace
Do you claw with index on Y or X? And also, once you learn to claw, do you use it all the time or just with some characters?
I claw with my index on Y, but you could do X, I just find it awkward. I also just use it on all my characters, I see no reason why you wouldn't, unless you have specific control setups for different characters that would somehow prevent you from doing so. Also you don't have to claw constantly, iirc seeing m2k play, he puts his finger between z and y, so sometimes his index finger will slip down and claw for certain inputs compared to me where I have my index finger constantly sitting on Y. Again all a matter of personal preference and what you're comfortable with.

eveningninja

Smash Apprentice
I claw with my index on Y, but you could do X, I just find it awkward. I also just use it on all my characters, I see no reason why you wouldn't, unless you have specific control setups for different characters that would somehow prevent you from doing so. Also you don't have to claw constantly, iirc seeing m2k play, he puts his finger between z and y, so sometimes his index finger will slip down and claw for certain inputs compared to me where I have my index finger constantly sitting on Y. Again all a matter of personal preference and what you're comfortable with.
That makes sense. One thing I was thinking about that I'd have to figure out a new way of doing proficiently when Clawing is Link's Z-air. Cuz I don't find it comfortable hitting Y and Z with my index and middle finger, consecutively. Is that something that would make sense to slip the index up to Z and thumb to Y for? Another option I've tried that seems to work is mapping X to grab so that it becomes an X-air basically. How would you personally do Link's Z-air with your Clawing playstyle?

Thanks.

And sorry I know this is going off topic of Sheik a bit, but I'm really curious to gather input from Clawers.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
That makes sense. One thing I was thinking about that I'd have to figure out a new way of doing proficiently when Clawing is Link's Z-air. Cuz I don't find it comfortable hitting Y and Z with my index and middle finger, consecutively. Is that something that would make sense to slip the index up to Z and thumb to Y for? Another option I've tried that seems to work is mapping X to grab so that it becomes an X-air basically. How would you personally do Link's Z-air with your Clawing playstyle?

Thanks.

And sorry I know this is going off topic of Sheik a bit, but I'm really curious to gather input from Clawers.
Personally I just use my middle finger for z and r, although sometimes I slip my index finger up to Z and use my thumb for Y. You could do x-air, although transitioning with just the index finger feels really weird to me. You could always do shield + A for zair, but you would need to buffer that input for an instant zair.

eveningninja

Smash Apprentice
Personally I just use my middle finger for z and r, although sometimes I slip my index finger up to Z and use my thumb for Y. You could do x-air, although transitioning with just the index finger feels really weird to me. You could always do shield + A for zair, but you would need to buffer that input for an instant zair.

Well, how I've been experimenting with it is index finger on Y and thumb on X. I just don't know if shifting from index on Y to thumb on Y just for Link's Z-air might slow down my hands/inputs a bit overall, so that's why I've been trying X-air. You don't think the transitioning to non-clawing would cause lagtime in your gameplay at all?

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
for brawl... I just don't feel like you need to claw to move as fast as possible. I don't need to wave dash an fsmash. I'm not shffing my fairs as pichu you know? I sh as sheik a character with a really tall short hop height and wait to fast fall.

At the same time there are situation when I do, full hopped bair's I'd probably claw. double jumped aerials(ledge dropped); I'd probably claw.

depends.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
Well, how I've been experimenting with it is index finger on Y and thumb on X. I just don't know if shifting from index on Y to thumb on Y just for Link's Z-air might slow down my hands/inputs a bit overall, so that's why I've been trying X-air. You don't think the transitioning to non-clawing would cause lagtime in your gameplay at all?
Well if your fingers are lingering on previous inputs then there will be obvious lagtime in your button inputs if you're transitioning from non-claw to claw. Just make sure your fingers assume a set "neutral" position after every input asap, and you should have no problem switching from claw to non-claw.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
or you could be cool and not claw.

you could just have good control over your fingers and use up on the control stick to jump like me

-Cross-

Smash Ace
My only problem with tap jump is that you can accidentally lose your second jump when SDI'ing out of multi-hit moves, but it's fine otherwise. All personal preference.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I rarely experience that, same with when people say that tap jump makes DACUS significantly harder. The only thing I have a big problem with is being able to do SH uair, since the upward input seems to override whatever input you did on X/Y and make it a fullhop lol, but it's been doable after mulling through Melee.

Tap jump also allows you to have no penalty for jumping out of spikes, whereas if you hit X/Y too early, you'll get a penalty. Not a really big thing per se, but it's basically a matter of preference imo.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Nope, I think all the problems of these sorts of things are sorta correlated with people who started out with Brawl as their first smash game. Up inputs for Melee were a bit sensitive so I think it gels well when it translates to Brawl. I do try to do tap jump off for the characters that need it (ZSS/Yoshi), but I rarely play those characters so...

Also, another nice little nuance is being able to vanish oos more easily. It's a gimmicky "counter", but the fact that it looks like a spotdodge, but with the invincibility flip-flopped means if the opponent tries to punish it like one, they get blown up. I'm not sure if tap-jump being off allows you to vanish oos, I would think that it will always turn into an aerial one if you try to jump cancel it oos, I could be wrong though.

Oh yeah, there is one time where tap jump being on is kinda hard for DACUS, it's usually when I try to do DACUS out of a run instead of right off the bat, but my timing's been adjusted since then, so it's all good haha.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
Well my first game was melee but i just never used tap jump to jump. Also clawing lets me do instant upb oos too b/c I get simultaneous inputs, I just have to press one more button. I used to use tap jump with Marth so I see nothing wrong with it. I guess i just like being able to tilt my shield up while not being sensitive with my finger movements

:phone:

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Yeah, I rarely jumped with tap jump either except for maybe a couple of times to jump out of falco pillaring more easily, but I personally never have had any problems with shield angling, etc. I may have lost the occasional jump when someone hit me just as I hit jump, but that was more of a timing issue/me doing a bad choice than a slip-up from the tap jump.

Overall, it's largely preference, and character choice (like most marths will keep tap jump on for optimal upB oos, while most Yoshis will have it off so they can use egg toss without worrying about losing their second jump doing it all the time)

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
I only started using tap jump because of dacus. otherwise I prefer it off.

melee has ended all control stick related issues for me.

eveningninja

Smash Apprentice
Right now my Sheik game while enemy is at low percents mainly consists of setting up FTilt locks, following with UTilt, chasing with Fair/Nair, pressuring with Needles, and using DSmash or Grab OOS. What else can I use during the early percents to mix things up? I feel that I'm a bit too predictable in always using the same tactics.

manofgames4555

Smash Journeyman
Right now my Sheik game while enemy is at low percents mainly consists of setting up FTilt locks, following with UTilt, chasing with Fair/Nair, pressuring with Needles, and using DSmash or Grab OOS. What else can I use during the early percents to mix things up? I feel that I'm a bit too predictable in always using the same tactics.
It is a solid approach to a match. I would try not approaching and using needles to switch it up safely. Try to annoy your opponent. Also, run up and hold your shield to see what they do. Aside from your basic approach don't do random things for the sake of doing them. lol Try fighting on the edge of the stage (or luring them to an edge).

eveningninja

Smash Apprentice
Thanks. The problem is that all those things I listed as initial tactics are all passive approaches. I basically always wait for my opponent to approach me before I either set up an FTilt or Grab or one of those things I mentioned. None of these things are "approaches," at least the way I see it. Is that just the way Sheik is meant to be?

I just find that in general if my opponent is really aggressive I get outplayed, I'm not good at coping with that. I usually just try to put up my defenses even harder but that doesn't always work when they're spacing really well or something. I want to dish out some solid aggressive approaches here and there.

Thanks.

Top Bottom