• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Got a question! Sheik Q&A & FAQ

Ultimate kaos

Smash Cadet
And how to approach with sheik.

Walk, if they jump run up and trap their landing with either dash attack or shield grab. If they dont jump, just walk towards them and apply mad pressure by doing nothing. If you get close enough to jab, then jab at them every now and then, if not wait for them to commit and either jab/f-tilt them out of it. "approaching" with sheik is just playing really defensively at a close range, to bait them into doing stuff, and punishing landings.
Thanks dude! I have been playing sheik completely wrong :/. You seem to know a lot about sheik. I like you.(no homo). Anyway, now that I can practise that, is this the place to ask about what I should be doing/look fors when playing vs marth? He always gives me trouble :(.

Ultimate kaos

Smash Cadet
Ok, a couple things. Sailor princess twenty two, I can't help but asking is your avatar really you? XD. Also, what about snake? My friend just sorta sits back firing projectiles all the time. (I have really spammy friends :(. And when can sheik really commit safely after punishing? I feel so noobish asking so many questions :/

Yeah my avatar is me. Also you can just call me Tutu.

Against snake just throw needles at him, if he's full on camping with grenades, needles win because they blow up grenades. You can also just run straight at him and then stop at a range where he has to commit to doing something else. (probably f-tilt) Then just shield w/e he does next(once again probably f-tilt) and punish him. Then don't let him land

Ultimate kaos

Smash Cadet
Ahh I see. Thanks Tutu. Ya my friend likes to spam, and use over tilt on snake a lot. He won't see me coming. Oh ya, I'm asking so many questions because I recently got into competitive smash, so I'm still learning a lot. My friends are good casual players, but I'm trying to get them into competitive, so they can help me further my game ha ha.

This thread is really helpful and I want to thank all of you for answering my questions :)

I have another one. When and how often should I be using jabs? I find myself not really using jabs to often, if at all. I mostly use tilts and aerials. I know Tutu said to use them on the approach, and I have been using them a little bit more, but still not using them much at all. I know the jab cancel is great, but I can only seem to cancel into her down-tilt reliably. Should i be trying to get in more jab cancels into other stuff? Or am I fine not using jabs a lot?

Oh, one more thing. This might not be the place to ask, but where can I go to generally get started with competitive smash, because I have been playing casually since melee, and have taken a lot of advice, but I need a place to properly be introduced to competitive.

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
guys important question.. what is shieks best color? jk. if i wanna learn shiek where should i start and why should i pick her?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Start by learning her ftilt lock, ftilt-aerial/ftilt-dsmash short combos, and moving fluidly with her. Her rolls and spotdodge are below average, so it's best to build habits of not overusing those early on.

guys important question.. what is shieks best color? jk. if i wanna learn shiek where should i start and why should i pick her?
I would start by spelling her name correctly.

Then I would learn how to lose to people worse than you and be chill with it.

After that I'd evaluate how much I care about winning and switch characters accordingly.

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
i lose all the time and im fine with it.. if i wanted to win i'd go for mk.. i thought that much was obvious. i was just asking for advice but i guess i cant get that on a Q&A thread

Ultimate kaos

Smash Cadet
Hey, how often should I be using sheiks jabs? I use them a little bit on the approach but that's pretty much it. I usually use her tilts and aerials. Is it ok that I don't use jabs a lot, or should I be using them a lot more?

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
Well aisight yours actually was a real answer. I was gonna come back and talk to you guys a lot since I'm moving over to sheik :/ I'm sorry

:phone:

Jabs are really good, it's our fastest move. And jab 1/2 lead into other moves, like at low percent jab>ftilt is pretty scary, then at high percent jab>Nair/downsmash can net you a kill off of a frame 2 punish.

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
well i was PT for a few days. sheik didnt catch my eye till yesterday haha. although wolf is still my best im just not feeling him. i always wanted a ninja character but i always though sheik was just too bad. then i decided i didnt care about winning and it'll be cool to be good with the ninja of hyrule :happysheep:

Ultimate kaos

Smash Cadet
So your saying I should input jabs more often. Well thanks! I never used to like her jab all that much but I guess I can learn to like it now that I see what it can do :D

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
Sheik's jab is good. Learn how to jab cancel into grab. Or jab cancel into Nair for a kill at high %'s

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
jab cancel is so fun and looks cool too :) i just have trouble timing it right. i either end up doing the full jab or sometimes d tilting :/ when i do it right it catches me off guard and i mess it up somehow.. every once in a while i do it right and its successful :D

but does jab 1/2 go into ftilt well? then for more jab cancels?

if you're having problems jab cancelling, this is a tip that fino gave me.

Hold the direction of the direction of the move you want to do on the control stick. Like if you're trying to do f-tilt or grab, hold forward so that if you mess up you'll walk forward and do your move. if you're trying to cancel it into more jabs, i would still hold forward and once you see sheik start to walk revert the control sick back to the neutral position

you rarely ever want to jab after an f-tilt.

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
wait to jab cancel dont you crouch? i thought thats what canceled the jab animation. its been canceling the jab animation so i kept it going. i found that myself so it might not be the real way

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
thats what i said. idk if you're being sarcastic since im new to sheik but i thought crouch was the only way. but "the most correct way" threw me off a bit :p i think i'll just practice the crouch way

crouching is the standard way of jab cancelling, the way I said to do it isn't frame perfect while crouching is.

Sheik doesn't need to be frame perfect because shes sheik and has amazing frame data so instead of crouching and taking the chance of messing up, you can just hold forward and do whatever it is you're going to do instead.

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
i kinda meant to jab cancel to one more set of jabs. i know i can to other follow ups but is jab 1/2 to jab1/2 unnecessary?

also what are sheiks best stages? i feel that ps1 is really good and stages with a big flat running surface helps like FD and smashville

now that i think about it theres no reason to jab cancel into other jabs

Sheik's best stages are lylat, BF. and Ps1 imo. But she does well on all the neutral stages.

Sheik's worst neutral is YI followed by SV.

She's bad on all CP stages. Well she's not bad, she just doesn't benefit from them, while the characters that take you their generally get immense advantages.

Tesh

Smash Hero
whats wrong with YI? I like the wall jump gimmicks and whatnot.

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
i hate YI... haha idk why but i never liked it. even with wolf where its supposed to be one of his bests. i never expected lylat tho. i always hated that one for some reason :/ never tried it as sheik

tru0067

Smash Journeyman
i hate YI... haha idk why but i never liked it. even with wolf where its supposed to be one of his bests. i never expected lylat tho. i always hated that one for some reason :/ never tried it as sheik
You probably hated it because the tilting and lip on the edge messes up recoveries

It is a strong detterant against newer players like us

Talking about Lylat btw

Top Bottom