• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Got a question about Sonic's down B to Bair usage

R. Olivaw

Smash Cadet
I've been playing Sonic for a few days now and been playing around with his moves, combos, and chases, and have been watching many many Sonic 1v1 matches.

In most of these vids I notice that a lot of players (good or not good) have tried doing a down B spin charge and then jump during it to a B air and it almost NEVER connects. I've also tried it myself during my own 1v1 and free for alls and I whiff more often than not. If you connect with the down B, it should hit the opponent up but not close enough for a Bair to hit.

Down B to U+air works well for the most part, however.

For further clarification, here's a vid that puts across what I'm trying to say better than I'm actually saying it. :laugh: I didn't find make the video or find it, it was posted in another thread.

the player tries the Down B to Bair right when the round starts and then again at 00:32 (then again and again):

http://youtube.com/watch?v=g169n3mL0_g

Who here has had better luck with the spin charge to Bair? Dose it work?

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
I actually prefer using bairs for combos because of the damage they do.

Anyways, people just bair a lot because it's reflexive. They're not paying attention to where they actually are relative to their enemy. Although this can work well if you manage to hit them right, you should instead aim for using the an attack that you know will land by quickly judging the positioning and distance between you and your opponent rather than trying to specifically set up a bair.

Catfish_Mike

Smash Cadet
Down B > Neutral Air is good at higher percentages. Knocks the enemy away, giving you some space when you hit the ground.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
it depends how they DI. if its done correctly, fast enough, and depending how they DI, the bair can hit and its very good, hence why i do it.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
I find its better to use a Fair. The down B knocks them up and forward most of the time so its better off with a fair or a Nair.
With the spin charge (side b) use a Bair it tends to knock them behind you most of the time.

samper

Smash Cadet
I think it's easier to his with the Bair if you jump out of down b without actually hitting them with the down b's jump attack (so you hit them, wait for them to pop up some, then jump). But then again, the only people I've ever played don't know what DI is (heck, I'm not sure I can do it) or are the computer since I get lots of lag online, so I'm not sure how that would effect it. For the record though, from what I've done its got some pretty strict timing, too early hits with the jump and you may as well use Uair (i prefer Fair for following up a forward B hit) and too late gives your opponent time to do an air dodge or possibly even hit you, and it only works at higher percentages (not that that's a bad thing since his Bair is one of his better KO moves).

Top Bottom