• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gordo hitboxes

Girthquake

Smash Journeyman
NNID
R0cco_Siffredi
Does anyone know the specifics on the Gordo hit boxes? Like more so the actual placements of them? I know there's 14% 12.5% 11% and 9% hitboxes, but I'd really like to know the placements of the hitboxes on the gordo itself?

Anyone?

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
It isn't placement I don't think. As far as I know, if you hit someone with the gordo before it bounces, it deals 14%, and each bounce makes it weaker, i.e. after 1 bounce it deals 12.5%, 2 deals 11%, and 3 deals 9%.

Girthquake

Smash Journeyman
NNID
R0cco_Siffredi
It isn't placement I don't think. As far as I know, if you hit someone with the gordo before it bounces, it deals 14%, and each bounce makes it weaker, i.e. after 1 bounce it deals 12.5%, 2 deals 11%, and 3 deals 9%.

I was testing Gordo stuff out yesterday and 18 out of 20 no bounce hits were 12% the other two being 14%. I'm legitimately confused.

Was also in training mode so no staling

Last edited:

Jatayu

Regal Eagle
3DS FC
4227-4062-5258
I'm pretty darn sure it's how long it's been out on the field. So the longer lil gordito has out bouncing around, the less damage it will do. I could be completely wrong and can't hit the lab at the moment though.

cwjakesteel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cwjakesteel
I don't think it's how long it's been out on field. I'm pretty sure it's just momentum.

If you hit back a Gordo with a smash attack, it does much more damage than when you do it with a Nair.

Especially consider when you hit someone with both the gorder and the hammer at the same time. It's not always 24% damage that's done.

Does Gordo experience staling?

Girthquake

Smash Journeyman
NNID
R0cco_Siffredi
I don't think it's how long it's been out on field. I'm pretty sure it's just momentum.

If you hit back a Gordo with a smash attack, it does much more damage than when you do it with a Nair.

Especially consider when you hit someone with both the gorder and the hammer at the same time. It's not always 24% damage that's done.

Does Gordo experience staling?

I don't believe it's the speed itself, but I'm almost positive it has a reflect multiplier, which I would assume is dependent on the strength of the move you reflect it with. If you look on SmashWiki you can see that all characters with reflects not only have damage multipliers, but speed multipliers as well as a separate category.

I know for a fact that the gordo has 4 different hit boxes. I just need clarification, because I'm trying to make a video on some complicated things with gordo that not many people go over and mentioning the 4 hit boxes begs the question of the placements or how the hitboxes themselves work and like I said from my testing I've found that the bounces aren't really what dictates the damage.

Why the hell does DDD have to be so complicated...

cwjakesteel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cwjakesteel
You'll know if Gordo has more than 1 hitbox or not if you test this ONLINE.

Don't go to the training room. Find an online match with a friend or something and in the practice room before the online match starts, the damage counter to the top right won't change due to staleness, but it will count different hitboxes.

For example, DDD's up tilt will do either 10 or 12 damage depending on where you are.

If everytime in the online practice room you get 14 damage, then you'll know it's degradation due to staleness or speed.

Girthquake

Smash Journeyman
NNID
R0cco_Siffredi
In training mode moves don't stale and rage isn't accounted for either. So I don't see the point in going in the online waiting room to do the same testing I've already done.

cwjakesteel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cwjakesteel
In training mode moves don't stale and rage isn't accounted for either. So I don't see the point in going in the online waiting room to do the same testing I've already done.
Oh, well nvm then. I thought that online was different.

Jdawg26

Smash Apprentice
After running a few tests I think it may have something to do with how fast the gordo is moving relative to its remaining lifespan... I was only able to test on my 3ds, but if I have time tomorrow I'll double check on the wii u and edit this post with all the details.

Girthquake

Smash Journeyman
NNID
R0cco_Siffredi
After running a few tests I think it may have something to do with how fast the gordo is moving relative to its remaining lifespan... I was only able to test on my 3ds, but if I have time tomorrow I'll double check on the wii u and edit this post with all the details.

I appreciate that thank you.

I feel like even though something like this isn't the biggest deal, it's still important to understand. Could potentially be used to min/max Gordo damage.

Girthquake

Smash Journeyman
NNID
R0cco_Siffredi
So I decided to try what you were saying Jdawg and I think you may be right about the hitbox being relative to the lifespan of the Gordo, which is seemingly dictated by both distance traveled and number of bounces. Though I'm not sure how or if speed effects it. I find that close up when I hit someone with any angled Gordo on all sides it does 14%, even just right after the first bounce it still does 14%, so I'm thinking bounces don't have as much to do with it more so than the distance traveled.

However the 11% / 9% hitboxes are still odd to me, because sometimes I get either or from max distance forward Gordo. Suppose I'll try dropping one in training from stupid high up in the air to try to get the distance as far as possible.

So from 4 jumps up and letting it bounce once gets just before the maximum range before it disappears and I'm constantly getting the 9% hit. However I'm on occasion getting 10% from it when in training mode the damage info shows 9 could this mean 9% hitbox was buffed to 9.5%?

Last edited:

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
From the testing I've done, Gordo hitboxes/damage are relative to 1. how many times it's bounced and 2. strength of the move that hit it. So the less times it's bounced and stronger move reflecting it = more damage. But exact multiplier numbers? Oh gawd why

But overall, Gordo is one heck of a complicated mother to figure out. I spent a stupid amount of time analyzing it in slow motion to figure out its sticking behavior...and never figured out the whys, only hows. It's definitely not random...but I honestly have no desire to spend further time trying to perfectly understand it when my Gordo game won't really benefit from the precise knowledge :p

Girthquake

Smash Journeyman
NNID
R0cco_Siffredi
From the testing I've done, Gordo hitboxes/damage are relative to 1. how many times it's bounced and 2. strength of the move that hit it. So the less times it's bounced and stronger move reflecting it = more damage. But exact multiplier numbers? Oh gawd why

But overall, Gordo is one heck of a complicated mother to figure out. I spent a stupid amount of time analyzing it in slow motion to figure out its sticking behavior...and never figured out the whys, only hows. It's definitely not random...but I honestly have no desire to spend further time trying to perfectly understand it when my Gordo game won't really benefit from the precise knowledge :p

I'm not sure about the bounce exactly, because like I said in my testing I found that even after the first bounce I still got the 14% hit.

Also like I said previously I know it isn't the biggest deal, but there could potentially be something in the specifics that could be of use. For example characters with any sort of traditional reflect move seems to have a varying kill % on Rereflect of Gordo, even when rereflected by the same move in this case being DDD nair. I'm assuming that the actual damage modifier from the reflect move, weight of the victim, DI/Vectoring, and actual distance of blast zones in the particular stage effect this. The testing I've done on these reflect characters shows different results with different Gordo hitboxes. So understanding how to get those earlier kills off of those rereflects by figuring out exactly how the hitboxes work could potentially be very helpful for certain match ups and deter said characters from using the traditional reflect.

Last edited:

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
Good thoughts. Reflectors all have a set multiplier for damage and knockback (see listing of specific multipliers here), and we could technically test that with Gordo to know optimized reflect moves, kill %s, etc. Honestly I don't think going through all possibilities would be worth it - Gordo reflects aren't what win high-level matches, but there are a few specific matchups where it's very useful.

Offhand I know of two: Fox/Falco and Villager. Fox's reflector multiplier is 1.4x, and I've gotten a OHKO by hitting the reflected Gordo with a Fsmash and an...UpB (totes hilarious). And Villager's Pocket multiplier is 1.9x; we all know that hitting a pocketed Gordo back = OHKO on Villager. Good luck with that, you'll need a lot of precision and timing to beat out the inevitable Lloyd Rocket as well. But the good news is that in both matchups, the reflected Gordo WILL OHKO them, and usually won't OHKO us.

Anything more? Those are the main two high-level reflector-invovled matchups I've have experience with. The Nesses I've played don't like to risk the Fsmash reflect, and there aren't many Pits around here.

Girthquake

Smash Journeyman
NNID
R0cco_Siffredi
Good thoughts. Reflectors all have a set multiplier for damage and knockback (see listing of specific multipliers here), and we could technically test that with Gordo to know optimized reflect moves, kill %s, etc. Honestly I don't think going through all possibilities would be worth it - Gordo reflects aren't what win high-level matches, but there are a few specific matchups where it's very useful.

Offhand I know of two: Fox/Falco and Villager. Fox's reflector multiplier is 1.4x, and I've gotten a OHKO by hitting the reflected Gordo with a Fsmash and an...UpB (totes hilarious). And Villager's Pocket multiplier is 1.9x; we all know that hitting a pocketed Gordo back = OHKO on Villager. Good luck with that, you'll need a lot of precision and timing to beat out the inevitable Lloyd Rocket as well. But the good news is that in both matchups, the reflected Gordo WILL OHKO them, and usually won't OHKO us.

Anything more? Those are the main two high-level reflector-invovled matchups I've have experience with. The Nesses I've played don't like to risk the Fsmash reflect, and there aren't many Pits around here.

Mainly Fox/Falco to be honest. Though I have seen higher level players use Dark Pit before. I believe Nairo did in a set against Zero. Can't remember when but it was a few months back. There's always the possibility that you might run into some strange pocket, and though I get it's unlikely I feel like in a competitive environment D3 needs every tiny inch of an advantage he can get his hands on.

In my testing against Fox/Falco I've been using Nair/Fair seeing as how those are the options I use that most safely and consistently rereflect back into them off of their reflectors. With both nair and fair I've gotten varying %s of KO between 30% - 75% This includes DI/Vectoring. So really in this case I'm trying to figure out how I can consistently get the lowest possible % kills with the safe consistent rereflect options, because Gordo hitbox is clearly effecting the kill along side DI/Vectoring.

Also I understand that this in particular isn't always going to be a sole reason matches at higher level play are won, but it can be a hilarious gimmick that most people won't see coming and can easily give you a fat lead in a match or possibly even a flat out win. Top level players still use their traditional reflect I believe, and even if this somehow did manage to become a thing and people stopped using traditional reflects it would still be useful solely based on the fact that they won't use that reflect specifically not to get KO'd early.

.........Sort of like how some fighters in MMA use a wrestling background in reverse to deter an opponent from taking them to the ground.

Last edited:

Jdawg26

Smash Apprentice
Sorry for the late reply! After a few tests, I'm pretty sure that the damage depends on how long the gordo has been active. HOWEVER the number of bounces aren't indicative of how much damage it'll do. It's a actual timer rather than speed or bounces, speed is correlated; but not the true cause.

tl;dr: It depends on time, not speed or bounces.

Girthquake

Smash Journeyman
NNID
R0cco_Siffredi
Sorry for the late reply! After a few tests, I'm pretty sure that the damage depends on how long the gordo has been active. HOWEVER the number of bounces aren't indicative of how much damage it'll do. It's a actual timer rather than speed or bounces, speed is correlated; but not the true cause.

tl;dr: It depends on time, not speed or bounces.
Yeah that's what I got out of testing it myself as well. I figured after the first few tests I did it was going to be way more complicated than I thought so I figured I'd ask you guys.

I appreciate you guys helping me out with this. Good to have some sort of clarification on the hitboxes.

Top Bottom