• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Good secondaries for Luigi mains?

tropewhat

Smash Cadet
NNID
NoonAim
With a couple unfortunate matchups (D3 comes to mind), it seems like many Luigi mains are being forced to learn secondary/tertiary characters to compensate for Luigi's admittedly few weaknesses. Although I believe Luigi is supposed to be a versatile character, he has a couple oddities (sliding, slow horizontal aerial movement speed) that make for a character that attracts rather unique players.

The question I'm getting at here pertains to what characters Luigi mains should pick as secondaries. Do you choose a character who is distinctively different than the man in green to have a better chance at his bad matchups, or do you pick a character with a similar flow so that you will be able to incorporate your Luigi-taught flair into your secondary? Are there any characters that satisfy both criteria?

Or do you loyally stick it out with Luigi till the bitter end, as DeDeDe slams his *** down on your face until the end of time?

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
I have a feeling this type of thread has been done before...but i am too lazy to hunt for it.

GW covers Luigi's toughest problems: metaknight and chaingrabbing.

Wizard99

Smash Journeyman
does luigi really have a problem with chaingrabbing? I would think he could slide out of it

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
does luigi really have a problem with chaingrabbing? I would think he could slide out of it
D3 can do a standing infinite on him. Definite problem there.

There are a few good chars that can hold their own against MK and D3, some people 2nd them. A few that come to mind are Pika, G&W, and IC's.

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
my secondaries are pika and GW for the most part. But yeah, chaingrabbing is the bane of Luigi.

Pompi

Smash Journeyman
it may sound weird but ive beaten a couple of mks with marth and zss is just awesome if you have any problems against any of the starfox series i dont know d3 but im pretty sure GW will do fine

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
I'm with chic on this one. I didn't pick Luigi because I fell in love with his ability to win. I will make him win.

Similarly, I didn't pick my secondary to fill in Luigi's gaps. It's really untactical on my part, but the only reason I have a secondary is to give some less skilled players a chance at beating me.

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
I'm with chic on this one. I didn't pick Luigi because I fell in love with his ability to win. I will make him win.

Similarly, I didn't pick my secondary to fill in Luigi's gaps. It's really untactical on my part, but the only reason I have a secondary is to give some less skilled players a chance at beating me.
You have played good metaknights, ice climbers, and D3s have you?

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
it may sound weird but ive beaten a couple of mks with marth and zss is just awesome if you have any problems against any of the starfox series i dont know d3 but im pretty sure GW will do fine
I don't know about ZSS, but MK and D3 are two of Marth's worst matchups.... But they are still better matchups than we have, and marth is relatively easy to pick up (so I've heard...), so he could also be a viable counterpick option.

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
I don't know about ZSS, but MK and D3 are two of Marth's worst matchups.... But they are still better matchups than we have, and marth is relatively easy to pick up (so I've heard...), so he could also be a viable counterpick option.
Marth is easy to pick up, its just hard if you suck at spacing. Also, i don't see how D3 beats Marth, if you space well enough you should never be in grab range and DI away from most attacks before they land. I know from experience his difficulty with meta however. Its pretty bad lol.

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
Marth is easy to pick up, its just hard if you suck at spacing. Also, i don't see how D3 beats Marth, if you space well enough you should never be in grab range and DI away from most attacks before they land. I know from experience his difficulty with meta however. Its pretty bad lol.
D3's side b forces Marth to approach(often while taking damage if you are impatient), and ftilt out ranges everything Marth has.

Marth boards call it a 50:50 matchup. (which is bad for Marth, lol)

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
I have played good MKs, DDDs, and ICs yes. I do have trouble with them and others. In fact, I made a thread asking for tips against the ICs. I just won't switch out to a more suited secondary. Either I learn a new way to fight them or I lose.

But I do get what you're saying, and you're right ALiAs. I don't have any reason to be in this thread if my secondary isn't a tactical choice or don't have any tactical input on what would be a good secondary for Luigi mainers. Secondaries are what's helping Luigi mainers place Luigi higher in tourney rankings. I should'nt be discouraging their use, so I bow out of this thread.

Pompi

Smash Journeyman
actually d3 doesnt spam projectiles fast enough can someone investigate? i think theyre pretty cancelable with marth just by pressing.... A if he gets a gordo well then pitty but hes pretty easy to learn. Besides he has some pretty good approaches and the advantage or i find it at least he has a great fox trot that make 3 things easier 1: grabbing. 2: shielding while advancing at high speeds 3: cover long distances fastly. if d3 decides just to use f tilt he will have a pretty bad time if marth decides to just counter them that counter is a freakin "combo" (don't start with the no combos in brawl ****) breaker, besides hes easy to learn were looking for a viable counter pick, sure he is not the best there is out there but i find him pretty viable and im sure i am not the only one. On the other hand what about zss? i think (speculation on videos and personal experience in training mode cause ive never played a d3 with zss) her projectiles will collide with d3's with the added stun bonus waddles will jsut stay mid air , her side B if done closely enough will surpass his projectiles and tip hit him which has GREAT knockback or you could downb to flip to his back and dwnb atk while send d3 pretty far she can really work people off stage and dwn b is a great stage spike ill look for the vids showing

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
I play Sheik as my secondary, problem is her matchups are pretty much the same as Luigi, so I go all Luigi in tournaments and play Sheik for fun, not to say I'm not serious with her though. She plays fairly similar to Luigi in a lot of cases, so I do think it helps my game practicing with other similar characters, it gets me thinking a little more.

Pompi

Smash Journeyman

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
here they are http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FLq2Kl4jH0

against a meta: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THrZCUCAlyE&feature=related

this one has two parts : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUQbzQAZ7bQ&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyP82mAK3bY&feature=related

hope this helps

pd : take into account in the meta match the date the video was publish feb 13 , i dont know you but in my mind brawl was released in us later so i theyre probably playing a demo or something.
Good stuff, ima look into ZSS now, thanks.

I have played good MKs, DDDs, and ICs yes. I do have trouble with them and others. In fact, I made a thread asking for tips against the ICs. I just won't switch out to a more suited secondary. Either I learn a new way to fight them or I lose.

But I do get what you're saying, and you're right ALiAs. I don't have any reason to be in this thread if my secondary isn't a tactical choice or don't have any tactical input on what would be a good secondary for Luigi mainers. Secondaries are what's helping Luigi mainers place Luigi higher in tourney rankings. I should'nt be discouraging their use, so I bow out of this thread.
Meh, I'm as big a luigi fan as anyone else, but i know i am not good enough to beat every character. No shame in a secondary, that is until Luigi becomes god tier. Judgement day is coming xD.

D3's side b forces Marth to approach(often while taking damage if you are impatient), and ftilt out ranges everything Marth has.

Marth boards call it a 50:50 matchup. (which is bad for Marth, lol)
Meh, anyone without projectiles would get pressured, and end up in the same situation. I mean, i don't see any weaknesses that Marth has that others already don't. I understand the 50:50 i suppose. A proper Marth shouldn't rush, he should make spaced shorthopped aerials while avoiding the waddledees, which isn't too hard.

Pompi

Smash Journeyman
yes alias if not he can try an aerial aproach and counter a waddledee which would most likely hit d3 and start the aerial ******. i say we give it a try and publish our results ive been testing zss today and i love her style shes not luigi but she gets the job done. ps she can shoot fast enough to neutraliz waddle dees jsut be careful to shoot fast enough remember d3 fires in arc while zss fires straight do the math.

i think secondaries are good for one reason, playing with other characters gives you ideas that will possibly turn into new ATs i was thinking for example after watching zss could luigi dair meteor , fastfall > rising tornado > 2 jump dair spike ?? , couuld it be an infinite or a new way of pillaring? should we approach snakes recovery from teh top and spike it ? very similar to what i do with marth , can you see where im going?

Pompi

Smash Journeyman
let me know how this turns out ill be very busy this weekend. on another note try to find if any luigi AT can make any character enter the infamous WHARGABBL animation. now wtf is that ? some may ask. well its an animation where the character falls but his feet are in the aire , he cant roll , or atk while standing , he will just be able to standup. google a shiek video , they have a sure combo thats really a combo , heres what it works.

grab > grab release > footstool spike> strong bair> release fully charged needles>throw single needle> do whatever you want know whici is probably a dacus.

the problem here is that grab release will only work with characters smaller than shiek, however if by any means they are footstooled the conditions are still met, hope you get some ideas guys.

CatSquirrel?

Smash Rookie
Yeah I actually fight fire with fire most of the time with D3 and come out on top, but I have to admit 3D can't keep up with IC most of the time. Of course, I never play as the IC (maybe I'm subconsiously prejudiced against parkas) but if I lose to a DDD I never blame it on my character. Besides, Luigi rocks.

Samuelson

Smash Lord
Lucario is my main and he has no problem with MK. DDD is a tough matchup for Lucario, one of his harder ones but it is still only like a 60:40 matchup in DDD's favor. Luigi and Lucario are somewhat similar too which is nice.

JST

Smash Apprentice
I have a feeling this type of thread has been done before...but i am too lazy to hunt for it.

GW covers Luigi's toughest problems: metaknight and chaingrabbing.
Just thought I'd pipe in: Due to G&W's slow and predictable roll, DDD's techchase ***** G&W so badly that it might as well be a chaingrab.

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
Just thought I'd pipe in: Due to G&W's slow and predictable roll, DDD's techchase ***** G&W so badly that it might as well be a chaingrab.
I hardly find techchasing a problem, escape from the air ftw?

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
I find DK to be an excellent compliment to Luigi. His reach is a good counter to swordfighters like Marth and MK. And other good things I'm too lazy to mention.

Warp$tar Lover

Smash Cadet
Kirby's a good secondary for me since he's floaty, and his ledge guarding is pretty solid too. There's also Wario because you can play mind games with the opponent and has an amazing air game. I also use Falco because he can chaingrab Triple D and other characters. G&W, he's good but like some of the other guys here are saying, he'd get ***** in a match against DDD...

Pompi

Smash Journeyman
i know people will flame me for this but i dont freakin care im still going with marth and zss for secondaries , ill play sheik once in a while considering she was my main (yeah its a SHE ppl) i believe the learning curve for zss and marth is not that high , zss has a great projectile and is good at spacing , she has several ko moves that come to mind and can rack up damage pretty easily basically every time you hit someone with a projectile , dsmash , upb , grab, means "combo" and she has an excellent spike ... spike ?? hell yeah dwnb spikes and also works as a 3d jump which is pretty useful , on the other hand if you are just looking for an mk counter gaw is a good option correct me if im wrong.

PolMex23

Smash Champion
Actually the best secondarys would be Snake, Mk, DDD, or DK...

Cuz you need a top tier powerhouse for your bad match ups xD

Karptroopa

Smash Apprentice
Luigi's air game is decent, which is why he's my favourite, but I like variety.

If you like Luigi's air game, try G&W, Diddy or Sheik. They have pretty nice air attacks. There are more alternatives, but I can't think of 'em.

Luigi's ground game, you say? Give Bowser or Wario a try.

I myself, also (am I allowed to...) main Toon Link and Mr Game and Watch. My secondaries are Bowser and Kirby, cause Kirby was my best character when I first tried Brawl.

Toon Link has a great fair and bair, meaning nice edgeguarding.
And Mr. Game and Watch can hurl flaming sausages at his opponents, so go him. :laugh:

Top Bottom