• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Good Secondaries for Ike?

Naf2pro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Brover1
I've been playing this game for about a week and a half and after playing through a good bit of the game I see myself falling short sometimes due to certain characters giving Ike a hard time...then I realized I don't use anyone else

Now I'm not saying Ike can't win against a certain person. I'd love to hear some good suggestions on characters to pickup so I can handle these threats a little better

Someone suggested Shiek so she is a good option for me

Last edited:

Banjobeast158

Smash Apprentice
NNID
banjobeast158
I've been playing this game for about a week and a half and after playing through a good bit of the game I see myself falling short sometimes due to certain characters giving Ike a hard time...then I realized I don't use anyone else

Now I'm not saying Ike can't win against a certain person. I'd love to hear some good suggestions on characters to pickup so I can handle these threats a little better

Someone suggested Shiek so she is a good option for me
my secondaries are Olimar and Pac-Man; they are very fun. Sometimes you dont need a secondary to play when you start; playing as one character against one you have a hard time with will help you with the match up in the long run.

Arrei

Smash Lord
Whoever you pick, you'd certainly want to go with someone with a projectile. Shiek is naturally always a good choice, but I tend to favor Pikachu. Both characters have a hard time getting the kill but Pikachu has it less hard.

I also have a lot of fun with Villager, who's just about Ike's polar opposite - low reach, fewer kill options, great air control, a million projectiles (and the best reflector to boot), absolutely ungimpable, but it can be jarring transitioning between Ike's monstrous reach and Villager's stubby little arms.

Last edited:

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Ike is a secondary and I main Link and do fairly well. I use Ike as more of an alt rather than actual back-up though.

You need someone who can either move quickly or someone who can keep pressure from close to mid ranges. Ike's not really that slow but there's a lot faster as well. Ike also lacks projectiles so he has trouble keeping pressure against fleeing opponents.

goose32

Smash Cadet
I have Captain Falcon as my back up, I've played him since Melee. I find that I have the biggest issues with people who want to camp me and will only fight on their terms, and I can use Captain Flack's speed and combo potential to keep them from ever feeling safe and pitching a tent. I use Link, as well, but the cap'n is my second main, after Ike.

If you really struggle with projectice users, you can certainly use a character who has projectiles to combat them. However, that playstyle is so different than Ike, the transition doesn't tend to come as naturally, at least to me. Both Ike and Falcon are about combos and are 100% melee, so they share some of the same strengths and weaknesses.

A quick note: Though Ike is far from perfect, he's a solid character who can get around bad matchups with proper spacing through his attacks, and also through proper timing with your shield. If you're getting spammed with projectiles, try to get better at power shielding (you can shield immediately out of a walk, which can be useful to get close enough to where your opponent may not have enough time to pull out a projectile).

Last edited:

Naf2pro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Brover1
Interesting replies. I suppose after Shiek I'll start to train with either Link, Villager or Olimar...if those are the best options however lol

Top Bottom