• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Good character for a beginner?

TRJV

Smash Journeyman
I'm trying to introduce a friend to smash (well, fighting games in general) and he's having a hard time with it. So I was wondering wat fighters he'd have an easier time with (i.e. simpler, less technical) than say, Fox?

also, are any other Smash Bros. games easier to get the hang of than PM?

Last edited:

MasterMar

Smash Rookie
I think Mario would be a good character to start with to learn the basics. After that he should try everyone until he finds a playstyle he enjoys.

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
Mario, Marth, Sheik, Ivysaur, and Pit are all pretty intuitive and easy to pick up and understand. Bowser and Ganondorf seem to be frequent choices by new players, too, for those who prefer slower characters.

Last edited:

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
^ That's about right with (imo) the exception of Sheik - she's actually incredibly technical in a lot of ways, though her ezmode c-stick down gameplay isn't completely awful.

Booster

Smash Lord
I suggest Roy if you want to be fast and hit hard (That middle blade sweet spot...), stay away from Dedede though, he's hard to master even in vanilla brawl, but if you do it's fun to smash things with that hammer.

Manatikik

Smash Rookie
Ganon and Bowser seem to be the favorite of many new players because they are very straightforward to pick up. But as most people, I suggest once they get comfortable with the game to move on to Mario to get proficient because he;s probably the easiest character to combo with.

ChiePet

*~About That BASS.~*
NNID
ChiePet
A friend of mine who's very into melee once suggested actually learning (if not the basics as well) the fundamentals of Melee with Sheik; Technical as she may be, she has everything to drag you from beginner to intermediate all the way up to advance, and what matters at the lower lever with her isn't a lot (FTilt, FAir, DThrow, When to use Needles, USmash/UAir, ect..)

yohoos

Smash Apprentice
Fox. Run around throwing out UpSmash and Up throw > UpAir as well as other smashes occasionally for beginners. Intermediate level, learn to master movements like wavedash and platform movements. Advanced -> shine tech/pressure.

Last edited:

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
Spacies are easy without the technical stuff.

Roy and Marth are nonsensically fast so they can miss and still not get ruined like, say, Ike or Zelda.

Mario is very safe for beginners as he has reliable spam zoning, great recovery, decent everything, and severe gimps.

Ivy is safe too, as long as he used his specials a lot.

Pit is pretty decent too but is not easy if your friend doesn't get how aerial game works.

After he gets the hang of it he should be ok to pick his real main.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
People here are suggesting Bowser for a beginner, and I whole-heartily agree. I don't think you do much with him either. Up-B is always a great defensive option, any of bowser's jabs and tilts are good moves, and his smashes are well.....ridiculous.

menotyou135

Smash Journeyman
Mario and Pit are the two easiest to grasp. Kirby can be easy as well if they use his special moves a lot. Maybe Link? I see a lot of new players pick him up.

Altanic

Smash Apprentice
I would reccomend going with Mario. His moves are very straightforward. He's like the Ryu of Smash. He has great combo potential too, so he can learn the game and how to combo with the same character pretty easily.

Exodo

Smash Ace
Mario is the easiest and also Ike and Kirby, many newbs might not know how to recover correctly Kirby could be of their liking since it has a really good recovery

MegaAmoonguss

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MegaAmoonguss
3DS FC
2251-4929-9404
This may seem a little weird, but I think that Meta Knight would be ok too along with the other chars mentioned. He is fast, but really not too technical. It's not like Fox where he's fast AND you have to be super quick with SHFFL approaches to shine combos. And you don't need to be super fancy with down-b kills and such to do fine with MK.

And he just has simple approaches and stuff, like you can watch a video of a Meta Knight and learn something easily. That's the best time about him: he's easy to learn the basics for and pick up fast.

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
Definitely either Marth or Sheik if you're just trying to get used to the game's engine.
A. They're pretty easy to teach with, at least at the very basic level. Everyone knows how to play both characters to an extensive degree, plus each character isn't reliant on a gimmick.

B. They're combos are pretty easy, at least easy in the sense of "oh, I can string these moves together into a combo." The constant use of these combos enables the user to learn the very basics of stringing moves together with each character. More than anything, after teaching the first few combos, they'll probably be able to figure it out on their own if they want to (as opposed to, say, Lucas).

C. Each character has very good strengths but at the same time noticeable flaws. They aren't immediately apparent, so they're less likely to john about them if they're at a low level (those this depends on the player). Plus, there will always be areas where the player feels like they can improve on, as opposed to being stuck on a certain glaring flaw and being frustrated by its limitations.

D. They have good grabs, plus they each have a combination of both combo grabs and tech chasing grabs. It's good for practicing. Marth's grab range is also pretty generous, so many players will feel comfortable with that range.

E. If they ever want to get to that level, both have good wavedashes, especially Marth. Marth's one is especially intuitive since Marth's game is already about movement and spacing rather than aerial superiority.

F. Speaking of spacing, Marth has a sword. His sword practically teaches spacing by itself.

G. Sheik has a projectile. They can learn how to abuse them, but not be too punishable at the same time.

H. They're both fast and have lots of mobility, but not too fast in the air or ground to the point where it's hard to keep track of (ex. Fox).

I. They can both edgeguard well. It helps teach the basics.

One of the bad things about them is that they don't really have very good Oos options, so you can't exactly teach that well. At the very least, you can teach them Marth's up-b out of shield and shield grab.

People are also saying Mario a lot. I disagree, since Mario's combo game isn't exactly very easy for a beginner, especially one that isn't very used to short hopping and shffling in general. At the very most they can learn jab d-smash, use of projectiles, and other very basic stuff, but I'd recommend Marth and Sheik over Mario any day. Mario isn't a bad character per se, but they won't really improve much in terms of actually understanding the game aside from fireball camping.

Last edited:

proxibomb

Smash Clown
Mario for basic moves, especially since he has some good tilts, Kirby is also another character that you could play. If you wanted to help him, I'd recommend a character with variety of good moves, I'd use Yoshi, but going without a third jump isn't too good on early players. I recommend not using Fox/Falco first, they're usually too fast for beginners.

HiroProtagonist

Smash Apprentice
Please not the Dorf
There's already enough scrub Ganons as is
But legitimately everyone thinks he's a super ez character but the way his meta is moving Ganon is becoming decently technical- perfect wavelands a must, autocancels, and edgecancels. If new people do want to pick up Ganon, at least teach them how to L-cancel and waveland.

ChiePet

*~About That BASS.~*
NNID
ChiePet
Please not the Dorf
There's already enough scrub Ganons as is
But legitimately everyone thinks he's a super ez character but the way his meta is moving Ganon is becoming decently technical- perfect wavelands a must, autocancels, and edgecancels. If new people do want to pick up Ganon, at least teach them how to L-cancel and waveland.
This.
It's almost their Go-To for trying to win.

Often times the people i play that are having hard times being successful in P:M is because they like only 2 things; a). Trying to (obviously) spike any chance they get, or b). Want to kill with an equally slow gratifying move (ex. full PK Flash)

Purple Stuff

Smash Cadet
Another vote for mario here. Seems easy enough. Definitely point him in the direction of some videos though. Let him see what characters can do in the right hands. He'll probably like the way certain characters play from watching them in action.

Top Bottom