• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Good character against floaties

Buss713

Smash Rookie
I main Ness and I'm having trouble against characters like Luigi. I'm looking into a secondary main and I'm wondering if there are any specific characters that are particularly good against floaty fighters.

FallofBrawl

Smash Ace
I'd say someone with a strong up air that covers a lot of options like Ganondorf or DK, but the matchup is bittersweet since they can be easily gimped by these floaty characters as well. Someone with a good up air, recovery, and set up options when said floaty characters are offstage can be either Toon Link or Villager. Tink can set up his array to edgeguard and recovery is decent, Villager can set up trees, Lloid rockets, fair to edge guard and has crazy recovery plus a super good up air (especially when it hits 3 turnips). In addition you can pick fast characters to not let the floaty guys land at all, likeFalcon or Sonic, but it's kinda null when they'll always fast fall onto a ledge as soon as they're sent up. Just pick whatever floats your boat (ba dum tshh)

Buss713

Smash Rookie
I'd say someone with a strong up air that covers a lot of options like Ganondorf or DK, but the matchup is bittersweet since they can be easily gimped by these floaty characters as well. Someone with a good up air, recovery, and set up options when said floaty characters are offstage can be either Toon Link or Villager. Tink can set up his array to edgeguard and recovery is decent, Villager can set up trees, Lloid rockets, fair to edge guard and has crazy recovery plus a super good up air (especially when it hits 3 turnips). In addition you can pick fast characters to not let the floaty guys land at all, likeFalcon or Sonic, but it's kinda null when they'll always fast fall onto a ledge as soon as they're sent up. Just pick whatever floats your boat (ba dum tshh)
Thanks for the helpful tips. I'll experiment with the characters you named and see what happens :)

EarthBoundEnigma

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EarthBoundEnigma
Floaty characters are also easier to deal with using ranged characters and aerialists. Ness is pretty happy to use his aerials on floaty characters, since they set themselves up to be carried away. (Skipping the need to grab and downthrow to combo.)

Buss713

Smash Rookie
Floaty characters are also easier to deal with using ranged characters and aerialists. Ness is pretty happy to use his aerials on floaty characters, since they set themselves up to be carried away. (Skipping the need to grab and downthrow to combo.)
If anybody knows what they're talking about I assume it's you, judging by your mains lol

Last edited:

chipz

Smash Apprentice
well its certainly not pikachu from what ive seen...
light characters seem to survive upsmash on 110% which is an absolute joke
similar situation with side smash unless you're right on the edge

even the new thunder combo doesn't seem to be all that great at killing which is a damn shame

edit: seems like nair and dair cant kill off stage very well either :(

Last edited:
Top Bottom