• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Going to my first competition. Any tips?

milkedshake

Smash Rookie
I'm a pretty decent player, and I'm heading out to Retro 64 in Schaumburg, Illinois to compete. I highly doubt I'm even gonna make it out of pools, but I'm still excited to see how I do. I've never in a room with a competitive Smash player, much less a tournament, so I'm in the dark as to what I should bring, what should I expect, what's proper etiquette during a match? Do I go up to randoms and ask to play friendlies? Should I bring my own controller?

So many questions!

DDRC

Smash Apprentice
People are usually very nice at tournaments. You absolutely need to bring your own controller. If someone looks like they arent pre occupied just go up to them and ask if they want to play some friendlies. It can be kind of intimidating but people are usually glad to play a few games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom