• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Going to a local tournament tommorow...

NitroSSBM

The coolest Falco of all time
Anything I should do specifically to prepare? I'm going there to learn and not necessarily to win but are there any good practices I should get used to doing before going to a tournament? What do you guys do to prepare for tournaments? What should I be looking out for when studying my opponents? What are things I can do in order to maximize the amount of information I gain from playing people who are better than me?

Anything and everything is helpful, so feel free to comment stuff you believe would help me out :)

Thanks!

20YY SS | Saiblade

Obviously not biased towards Falco
3DS FC
3239-4949-5301
Anything I should do specifically to prepare? I'm going there to learn and not necessarily to win but are there any good practices I should get used to doing before going to a tournament? What do you guys do to prepare for tournaments? What should I be looking out for when studying my opponents? What are things I can do in order to maximize the amount of information I gain from playing people who are better than me?

Anything and everything is helpful, so feel free to comment stuff you believe would help me out :)

Thanks!
Always ask for advice 99% of smashers would be glad to help. Look at the mistakes you're making, and how you can improve them. See what people that play the same character do that you don't, and ask them about it. Good luck.

NitroSSBM

Always ask for advice 99% of smashers would be glad to help. Look at the mistakes you're making, and how you can improve them. See what people that play the same character do that you don't, and ask them about it. Good luck.
Thanks, just out of curiosity what does the EH in your name stand for?

CrackaaJack

Smash Cadet

Thanks!
Practice your tech, DI, L-Cancels, and wavedashing so that you don't mess up. Also if you are losing in a match try to think about why you are losing and what you can do to turn it around. The problem I first had when I started playing in tournaments was that I would go full "headless chicken" mode. I would still play good but had trouble adapting to bad matchups and weird playstyles. Always do your best! ^^

NitroSSBM

Practice your tech, DI, L-Cancels, and wavedashing so that you don't mess up. Also if you are losing in a match try to think about why you are losing and what you can do to turn it around. The problem I first had when I started playing in tournaments was that I would go full "headless chicken" mode. I would still play good but had trouble adapting to bad matchups and weird playstyles. Always do your best! ^^
Alright actually that's awesome! I have been practicing wavedashing, wavelanding and L-Canceling all today. Usually I play 'headless chicken' full hyper aggressive so that's something I can work on... Nevertheless thanks for the advice, hopefully I can do well or at least do semi-well.

Top Bottom