• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Goemon, the Long-Forgotten, Hot-Blooded Probity (Nintendo 64 childhoods might know of him)

Notshane

Smash Ace

Who is this "Goemon" you ask? Why, he is one of the most forgotten Nintendo reps of all-time! Hence, this being the first real article to want to vote for him staying true to his lost reputation, despite his games having very positive reception.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Though he had a game before this, his first real debut to us would be in the hit game, "Mystical Ninja: Starring Goemon" where his name was properly translated and his story was told in a much brighter light than his prior Super Nintendo debut.

His reign on the Nintendo 64 was a quiet, yet positive run. He lasted throughout the days, traveling the mysterious land of Feudal Japan where all folklore is real and all foes await him with an abundance of comedic dialogue sequences; complete with laugh tracks that you would probably never expect to hear in a video game.

He pummels baddies with his golden kiseru and is one of the fewer people you would see to dispose of his earnings in the form of artillery! And when a foe is stingy with their dodging skills and is too deadly to approach, Goemon can for sure rely on his trusty chain pipe to reach foes at staggering distances and catch them off guard every time!

For young Goemon, every day is an adventure! Granted, he does have a bit of a temper and it certainly shows at times, but he is an extremely comedic and friendly character that is from a fighting game that is full of spunk! Yes, I forgot to mention: his games ARE actual fighting games! This is not just some random fan character I want in the game so badly because I think his hair looks awesome or anything like that. Oh, not to mention...

HE IS A NINTENDO REP THAT CAN GO SUPER SAIYAN!

But, all that side, he has real potential to be a true competitor to the Smash series. And his skill, comedy and charisma are certainly fitting of its universe. Give the young blue-haired, or golden-haired in this case, lad a chance and you will see just how much of a surreal punch he can pack!

But, if this golden hair is not enough to satisfy your tastes, maybe most of you remember the most notable asset of the first game that assisted Goemon quite well. I guess you can say he left a bit of an IMPACT on the audience.

Goemon's last Power Ranger-esque resort triumphs quite well with this giant beast; of which, only true fans know of his title and destruction. He beasted through solid concrete, he destroyed mechas and he annihilated all of mankind with his prowess in strength; being able to sustain several blasts.

But, enough about the game, let us get right into why we are here in the first place...

The part you were waiting for: the sole reason why Goemon should appear in the Smash. And no, this one is unfortunately not as flashy as the other character voting articles on here. So, like Goemon himself, this might be scoffed off as well.

Well, as you may know, lots of video game icons have appeared in Super Smash Bros. For either doing something memorable, having a really good story, innovating the gaming industry and more. What did Goemon do to the industry? Goemon was the most notable first attempt to bring Japanese culture to other regions in a very fresh way that left in all of the Japanese goodness of the original game without cutting anything, really.

That means we saw no Goombas over the goofy Japanese creatures, no other well known Nintendo mascot to take Goemon's spot as the heroine and no altercations in the story whatsoever. In complete honesty, there are probably a good chunk of edits done to the localization so that we would not be too confused, but they certainly did a good job at retaining the game's original charm just as it appeared in Japan. We got original comedy, a solid story and really good gameplay mechanics. He was well-received and only someone with xenophobia, or something else, could not like this man.

He is an all original character that was localized as he was and did just fine with who he was. I consider Goemon an icon for being the first character made in Japan that took most of Japan with him instead of having lots of influence that an American would naturally enjoy.

I mean, everyone loved Mario because he was an icon that truly felt like a video game for the first time in years if you grew up with the original. Sonic was the first to rival Mario with his own formula of fast-paced gameplay, creative music and interesting characters. And heck, we did the robot scene once too with Mega Man, a robotic boy that certainly packed a worthy arsenal of weaponry that was perfectly fitting to be in Sm4sh. And, even though he repeated the same scenario several times, I suppose we just liked robots or something; seeing as how he had six freaking games on the same Nintendo console once that pretty much all did the same formula.

So, does Goemon have what it takes to join these icons in the game? Perhaps so, and perhaps not. Given he is not NEARLY as popular as he used to be in the nineties, we did get characters in this game that still had a minimal amount of popularity themselves. Let us not forget about that NES accessory that had a cruel back-story in SE or that guy that was from a portable game that literally just lit up certain lights and colors to give off the look of a video game. Maybe Goemon just needs to see the light of day again. And appearing in Sm4sh could certainly reboot his games again that have not had an official release in over a decade now. And, he has some blue in him a well! Just like the rest of them do, apparently.

Goemon might not be everyone's first choice to appear in Super Smash Bros. And his fan base is probably a lot smaller than it used to be these days. Only those that grew up with his game usually praise him because they know why he has so much potential.

But, should not have a chance at all? No. He brought Japanese culture to other regions successfully and still had a very fun game to boot. Even if it was short-lived, I think he has potential to fit right in.

I am also well aware of what company represents him and whom he would take the position of if he did get in, but by this point, that man has had all of his content removed. So in case the man in the sneak suit fails to find his way back into the Smash, Goemon can take his place and avenge him in style.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I thought Goemon was Konami. Not that that's too relevant.
He is Konami.

I'd be down with Goemon... I liked The Legend of the Mystical Ninja for the SNES... but my most wanted Konami character is Simon Belmont.

slambros

Smash Ace
Such miniscule chances.

I mean, if Konami isn't even letting Snake in the roster, then they surely won't provide a newcomer. Bomberman. Simon Belmont. Frogger. Those Contra guys. If the bridge that is Snake doesn't exist, then none of the other Konami reps can cross. That's a shame.

Nevertheless, Goemon is pretty cool.

Notshane

Smash Ace
Such miniscule chances.

I mean, if Konami isn't even letting Snake in the roster, then they surely won't provide a newcomer. Bomberman, Simon Belmont, Frogger, those Contra guys. If the bridge that is Snake doesn't exist, then none of the other Konami reps can cross. That's a shame.
I think the "bridge" is still there, but Snake was from a series that is extremely violent and has a very deep story.

The only reason I imagine him not returning is because the series is rated E+10 now. I know the whole censoring process would not be too hard, given Snake was a pyrotechnic, but he is from a very deep game in terms of both violence and story and Nintendo probably does not want kids to find out about Metal Gear through Super Smash Bros.

Given how easy it is for kids to play M-rated games these days, I can see that theory making sense. I am sure there might be one or two characters from an M-rated game on Sm4sh, be it in trophy or assist form, but Metal Gear was definitely the icing of that cake for sure. So him appearing in Brawl, combined with its rating and intense art style, made sense.

But, given Kojima said that Nintendo could use Snake any time they wanted if they asked, Snake could for sure still have a chance. But, Konami still has three choices that would all for sure work just as well, if not better than Snake would. Those are: Simon Belmont, Bomberman or Goemon. The first has not been in a game in over two decades, the second has not had a full-fledged game within a similar time range and the last has had the most recent full-fledged game of the three, though his last localized game was nearly two decades ago.

However, all of his localized games had very positive reception, were considered innovative for their time and did have very original concepts. Hell, the first was actually critically acclaimed if that is not enough. So, Goemon for sure has more flavor out of the three and the most potential for a reboot, if not sequel, to his main series after his appearance in Sm4sh; should it happen.

Goemon is the winner in terms of his style being the most welcoming to Sm4sh and, well, his games are hilarious. Given the most recent Smash entry has had a heavier emphasis on comedy in terms of characters and moves, Goemon fits this criteria quite flawlessly. Bomberman could fit it too, but a moveset for him would be pretty hard. However, he would make one hell of an assist trophy. Maybe Simon Belmont could be an assist trophy too since he is well known enough to be requested still on a frequent basis, but he is not exactly on Nintendo's priority list at the moment.

Last edited:
Top Bottom