• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Glitches and Re-release Version Hypothetical

joenopride

Smash Journeyman
As you probably noticed, there have been a number of different "glitches" that people have discovered recently. It's likely that in some re-releases of the game, some of these glitches will be removed from the games.

So my question is:
If a glitch gets removed from subsequent versions of Brawl, does that glitch get removed from tournament play?

In particular I'm thinking of something like Bowser's infinite jump glitch. Bowser gains a huge amount of mobility, and this is a relatively easy technique to perform. Bowser's Brawl potential could have increased a bunch from this technique alone. Would this glitch be banned from tournament's, or would all Brawl tournaments only run off of disc's that are NSTC 1.0?

What are your thoughts?

MasterCheeze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MasterCheeze
3DS FC
0688-5933-2030
You can get rid of glitches in versions of Brawl?

But, uh, they'd probably keep it. I mean, WaveDashing was a glitch and it still stuck around, right?

SmashNewb

Smash Rookie
I don't think bowsers jump thing is a glitch, I read somewhere that it's in the manual...

dinhotheone

Smash Apprentice
@cheezelol well you completely missed the question. i personally think that we should defenitely play the game that the makers intend us to play, by realeasing addtional fixes and whatnot, they are saying "this is the game i want to be know as ssbb" the fact that wavedashing was never ruined, i say ruined and not remedied because it was a good addition to the game adding depth and not really overbalancing anyone, means that they were fine with us playing that game. and besides i would think/hope that these would be downloadable fixes.

andofftopic: bowsers infinite jump and wavedashing are 2 totally separate catagories. wavedashing was a physics mechanic quirk, where bowsers jumping is a bowser/kirby quirk. only these two characters have the ability to do this. you cant compare a game wide quirk and a quirk that applies only 1 or 2 characters. if you REALLY want to look at it from melee perspecitve. the IC freeze glitch was easy to perform and gamebreaking. so it was removed from tourney play. where as the ness yoyo glitch was hard to pull off and rarely resulted in a major advantage, was left in. we have to see whether this gives the CHARACTER an unfair advantage before it can be decided upon.

@otherguy i dont remember:as to at it being in the manual, if true, would prove that its a mechanic they want to be in the game they want us to play. and therefor i would say leave it reguardless of its impact.

Keige

Smash Journeyman
Hopefully the game would use patches and not rereleases like Melee did. Patches would a couple MB at maximum. They only need to change a few numbers for most fixes.

TheRooster

Smash Cadet
I think that most of the glitches found are results of the physics.
Things like wave dashing were left in because its not one little line of code that allows to wave dash, its a series of inputs that just make the physics engine react certain way.

(air dodging makes your character floaty for a second- so airdodging just enough to make your character floaty but cancelling it before it gets to the actual dodge animation leads to "wavedashing")

So, no. I dont think nintendo will change it.

Now if it were something like that game-ending bug in Zelda: Twilight Princess......:dizzy:

MarkRoe

Smash Cadet
Why not just have referees present at all tournament matches? In any sporting event, there are always rules or parameters that can be broken, similar to how a glitch can be exploited in a game. But with sports, there are always referees moderating to call out illegal play. Just because a basketball player has the ability to purposefully kick someone on the court in the face does not mean that he will get away with it without being reprimanded if he chooses to do so. Similarly, just because a character in Brawl has the ability to take advantage of a glitch or game mechanic( i.e. Bowser's infinite-jump or Falco's laser lock) does not mean that it will be legal in tournament play.

So while it may be possible that future versions of Brawl will have glitches removed from them, if there are referees or even fellow players present to tell the offending player to "knock it off" then it might not be necessary.

-Aether

Smash Journeyman
Well, I'm in the mind-set that the Bowser infinite-jump is gamebreaking for Bowser. IF people cannot find a really good use for it, I'd be disappointed...

However, if the glitch got removed in the North American version, it wont see tournament play. Do I think it will be removed? No. Do I think it's actually a glitch, unlike Wavedashing / L-canceling? Yes. Simply put, it's just bad coding.

Obviously, the strength of the glitch is directly dependant on if it will see tournament play. Let's assume that we find a glitch that makes all of marths tippered moves do 100 dmg and 5 x the knockback. Obviously, unless the glitch was nearly impossible to preform in competative play, the glitch would be banned. If this infinite jump glitch makes bowser move from low tier to mid tier, it wont be banned. At that point, it wont be destroying the potential for a decent metagame. But if the glitch makes it so bowser dittos are the only competative match up, I'd be against the glitch being in the game.

Obviously, all glitches and game mechanics need to be looked at as seperate issued and cannot be catagorized as "glitch-remove it" and "not glitch-keep it in." We forget that if one character was just coded to be ridiculous, it wouldnt be a glitch..but that character would see bans anyway so we could have a robust metagame.

True Fool

Smash Ace
Well, it depends. If we get a new version with fixed glitches, I would be willing to bet that they try to balance out anything they think is wrong between characters.

Apparently the PAL version for Melee wasn't considered to be superior for competitive play by tourneys, so they didn't bother. Freeze glitch was banned anyway, Soul Stunner didn't need to be worried about as tourneys wouldn't have red-shells on, and I guess no one cared about Link's boomerang jump. And the final decision was that they just plain didn't need to switch versions.

If Toon Link's flying(Dair glitch) or OHKO(Dsmash issue) is considered to be overly disruptive to tourney play, they may switch to a later version for tourneys.

I'm not particularily educated about Melee's PAL version, so if I was off on anything(though I don't think I was), please correct me.

MarkRoe

Smash Cadet
Obviously, all glitches and game mechanics need to be looked at as seperate issued and cannot be catagorized as "glitch-remove it" and "not glitch-keep it in." We forget that if one character was just coded to be ridiculous, it wouldnt be a glitch..but that character would see bans anyway so we could have a robust metagame.
Very true. And it lends to the fact that Bowser's infinite jump has some awesome potential like you also mentioned. Like Kirby's infinite jump and Toon Link's D-air "hover", it could make things really interesting rather than taking away from the game.

DtJ Glyphmoney

Summoned from a trading card
BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
This has been bugging me for a while...

If they do fix a glitch by re-releasing the game, how will it affect online play with people with earlier version of brawl? Will the newer people be at an automatic disadvantage or what?

jdub03

Smash Journeyman
Patches over wifi are more likely since all versions of brawl have to be compatible. Online play would be near impossible otherwise.

COMMOFDOOM

Smash Apprentice
You can get rid of glitches in versions of Brawl?

But, uh, they'd probably keep it. I mean, WaveDashing was a glitch and it still stuck around, right?
When you sleep at night do you find yourself choking on your tongue and waking up?

HappyBirthday

Smash Cadet
I'd like to state that regardless of wavedashing being a "glitch" or an "exploitation" it couldn't possibly have been removed between versions of the game becasue it was discovered round two years after the game was released yet for some reason Brawl has so many glitches discovered after less than a month.

Basically anything can happen

Dragonboy2k4

Smash Ace
If you ask me,things probably been looked at in our version of Brawl already.I seriously doubt that we will get a port basically(with translations) without some changes made to the game.Thats why Iam not gonna bother to even look at all the ATs found on a import version until March 9.Just remember what happened at E for All.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
If you ask me,things probably been looked at in our version of Brawl already.I seriously doubt that we will get a port basically(with translations) without some changes made to the game.Thats why Iam not gonna bother to even look at all the ATs found on a import version until March 9.Just remember what happened at E for All.
You're making it sound like we're getting MORE ATs which obviously WON'T happen. The E for All version was a DEMO and was advertised as such. The import Japanese version IS what we're getting with everything translated, etc. Why would you think otherwise? <_<

As far as "glitches" being fixed, obviously a patch of some sort if Nintendo deems it necessary. Most online games are set so that you can't play between two different versions of a game without requiring a patch/update/fix.

Dragonboy2k4

Smash Ace
You're making it sound like we're getting MORE ATs which obviously WON'T happen. The E for All version was a DEMO and was advertised as such. The import Japanese version IS what we're getting with everything translated, etc. Why would you think otherwise? <_<

As far as "glitches" being fixed, obviously a patch of some sort if Nintendo deems it necessary. Most online games are set so that you can't play between two different versions of a game without requiring a patch/update/fix.
? You read my post correctly have you? Somehow I dont think you did :confused: I didnt stating ANYTHING about getting more ATs,as I stated "as if"Nintendo of the USA knew about some of these quirks that appeared since Brawl's release overseas.Chances are,they do already by now.

And to answer your question,3 letters is why. PAL >.> And second,Iam fully aware of the the fact that Nintendo has downloadable content in plan for this,but they HAVENT clearly stated whats gonna be availiable either for the record. Dont turn this into a flame war please. :embarrass

Top Bottom