• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Give up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMorninSun

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheMorninSun
3DS FC
1950-9735-8391
Loss, loss, loss. That's how it's been for me lately in For Glory. Some matches I just throw in the towel after my opponent takes my first stock without even taking any damage. This game is stupidly frustrating and difficult, I try and try to get better... Y'know, learn from defeat and blah blah blah, but nope. I learn nothing, and i keep losing. All it is is just shield, grab, smash attack, DODGE ALL MY FREAKING ATTACKS, DODGE MY GRAB ATTEMPTS, PUNISH.

I try to predict and read my opponent, know what happens? I FAIL AND GET PUNISHED, MY OPPONENT TAUNTS. People tell me to stop complaining and "git gud"... what do you think I've been trying to do?!!! I watch a lot of videos and tutorials about Sm4sh, about how my main, Lucina, works, AND NONE OF IT HELPS! I still get freaking rekt everytime i play someone that knows what they're doing.

Just give me an honest answer here please. If you're reading this and you're a competitive Sm4sher that's good at it, how did you work your way up?

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
I'm not really so competitive, but I do play FG. Honestly, you just have to practice a lot. Think of it like a sport you may play. How did you get better? You had to practice a lot and learn from your mistakes, and over time, you got better.

FG players are just really overcompetitive and lame at times. They want a reaction from you when they taunt and crouch repeatedly and comment. Just ignore it. Who cares?

Maybe Lucina isn't your character. Try someone new!

Atm0s

Smash Cadet
NNID
GreenStarMario
3DS FC
1075-0882-2177
Loss, loss, loss. That's how it's been for me lately in For Glory. Some matches I just throw in the towel after my opponent takes my first stock without even taking any damage. This game is stupidly frustrating and difficult, I try and try to get better... Y'know, learn from defeat and blah blah blah, but nope. I learn nothing, and i keep losing. All it is is just shield, grab, smash attack, DODGE ALL MY FREAKING ATTACKS, DODGE MY GRAB ATTEMPTS, PUNISH.

I try to predict and read my opponent, know what happens? I FAIL AND GET PUNISHED, MY OPPONENT TAUNTS. People tell me to stop complaining and "git gud"... what do you think I've been trying to do?!!! I watch a lot of videos and tutorials about Sm4sh, about how my main, Lucina, works, AND NONE OF IT HELPS! I still get freaking rekt everytime i play someone that knows what they're doing.

Just give me an honest answer here please. If you're reading this and you're a competitive Sm4sher that's good at it, how did you work your way up?
I had that exact same problem. For Glory made me rage quite a bit, and my win rate went way down. So, instead of playing FG, I shared my NNID and fought some people on Smashboards, and steadily filled up my friends list. Now I'm in a smash group where everyone can challenge other people in the group whenever they want to. That helped a lot.

Also, it helped me to not focus on playing so seriously, and if I wanted to, I'd throw in items or illegal stages every now and then, just to spice things up and keep the fun going.

On a final note, if you feel like it, you should try out a bunch of other characters and see if they feel good. It took me almost a year to find my mains. But if you're confident about playing Lucina, then I'm sure that you'll get better over time.

1FC0

Smash Lord
I am not that good but I do tend to dominate FG 1v1 pretty hard.

Here is what I did or do:
- Choose a main that I love.
- Practice.
- Enjoy the game.
- Do not give up in games, unless I am not playing R.O.B. then I sometimes give up.
- Play to win, spam, camp, whatever works.
- Watch video's of my main.
- Read and watch tutorials and discussion about my main.
- Sometimes I sandbag to practice an AT or combo or to experiment.
- SHOW THEM MY MOVES (aka gyrogyrogyrogyrogyrogyrogyrogyrogyrogyrogyrogyrogyrogyrogyrogyro)

mizy

Smash Rookie
NNID
iMizyy
  1. Play a lot. If you're able to, try finding players around your skill level and practice with them. Also like others said try experimenting with other characters.

TheMorninSun

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheMorninSun
3DS FC
1950-9735-8391
Thanks to everyone who replied, all those suggestions helped a lot. What's funny is that some minutes after I posted this thread, I went into Smash and played 3 1v1 matches against the CPU. I lost the first two, but for some reason, it felt fun. I won the next one against Sonic (Who is ironically one of my most hated characters to play against because he's so freaking fast), and won.

I think how I play is reflected upon my mood at the time. When I'm happy and carefree, I find myself getting more into the match and playing better. When I'm mad or frustrated, I play like total crap.

I'm definitely going to try to study the game more than I have been, try to learn my characters hitboxes, how to space better, etc. But now that I understand what makes me play good and what makes me play bad, I feel like I've learned a valuable lesson. (When you lose a couple of times, put the controller down, go get some water, relax. Then pick it back up with a clear mind.)

Also, about my mains, when I first got Sm4sh my main was Little Mac (big surprise my main was an easy character, lol). As I played the game more and got more experienced, I realized Little Mac was...bad, to put it nicely. When I unlocked Lucina, I was all like "who the frig is this chick", I used her for the hell of it, and it was love at first sight (no not that kind of love). Anyway, since then I've tried Greninja, Ganondorf, Luigi, Bowser Jr., Toon Link, Marth, Kirby, Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Duck Hunt, Captain Falcon, Lucas, and Roy.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
There is natural talent involved. Don't even pretend like there isn't. Not everyone can play at the highest level because not everyone has amazing reaction times etc. If you wanna complain and give up then just do it. And even then, you aren't going to plateau your natural abilities till you've played the game for hundreds and hundreds of hours, which you likely have not.

That said, you also are not likely learning much if you win all the time, so I don't know why you would complain about losses in a totally pointless mode like online. Care about your wins in tournament, not online. You should be happy to be finding people to beat you, that's how you learn the fastest.

Besides, if all you wanted to do was win then maybe you ought to reevaluate your character choice. You WILL win easier with a top character with few flaws.

Last edited:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
The other reason can simply be lag. **** happens.

And try to keep yourself to no more than three characters.

LuLLo

Smash Ace
Go on Smashladder, get beaten alot, improve. Stop going on For Glory, it's a bad mode that teaches you bad habits.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Thanks to everyone who replied, all those suggestions helped a lot. What's funny is that some minutes after I posted this thread, I went into Smash and played 3 1v1 matches against the CPU. I lost the first two, but for some reason, it felt fun. I won the next one against Sonic (Who is ironically one of my most hated characters to play against because he's so freaking fast), and won.
When practicing against CPU's you should beware that CPU's might teach you habits that works against CPU's but fail against real players.

In general if you play a lot of bad players then you may become worse yourself because you might learn habits that work against the bad players but will get you punished against the better players.

This makes FG not the best place to practice for tourneys but if you are not that ambitious (like me) and only aim to be a FG Champion then offcourse FG is good practice.

TheMorninSun

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheMorninSun
3DS FC
1950-9735-8391
When practicing against CPU's you should beware that CPU's might teach you habits that works against CPU's but fail against real players.

In general if you play a lot of bad players then you may become worse yourself because you might learn habits that work against the bad players but will get you punished against the better players.

This makes FG not the best place to practice for tourneys but if you are not that ambitious (like me) and only aim to be a FG Champion then offcourse FG is good practice.
Definitely. I played against 2 Kirby's that did nothing but spam stone and cutter, and I punished them everytime. I don't know why players like that even exist tbh. If you're only going to use 2 moves when your character has so much more, why even use that character in the first place?

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
There is natural talent involved. Don't even pretend like there isn't. Not everyone can play at the highest level because not everyone has amazing reaction times etc. If you wanna complain and give up then just do it. And even then, you aren't going to plateau your natural abilities till you've played the game for hundreds and hundreds of hours, which you likely have not.

That said, you also are not likely learning much if you win all the time, so I don't know why you would complain about losses in a totally pointless mode like online. Care about your wins in tournament, not online. You should be happy to be finding people to beat you, that's how you learn the fastest.

Besides, if all you wanted to do was win then maybe you ought to reevaluate your character choice. You WILL win easier with a top character with few flaws.
Friendly reminder that online is pointless to you. To some people offline tournaments are what is pointless.

wizrad

Smash Journeyman
NNID
nin10L3ro
3DS FC
4871-4875-5333
I know exactly how you feel, man, but my win rate plummeted instead of never rising… before the Wii U version came out, I was playing Link (not the campy kind) and Little Mac (the crappy kind haha) and had a win rate hovering around 65-70%. Then, after that month or so, people got better. I didn't. This trend continued until my win rate reached below 30%. I was absolutely demoralized. Nothing I did helped me. I was so desperate that I even tried to play Diddy, and I still got bodied. But my win rate is climbing again now, I think somewhere around 45%. What did I do to get better? I took a break. Yeah. I didn't play for over a month. At all. I think it cleared out all of the bad habits I had accumulated, and I know it helped me realize something crucial: this game isn't all about being fast and pushing buttons immediately. Sometimes you just gotta wait and see. Learn your opponent before committing too hard. But before I really started going online again, I made sure to learn new, good habits. Also, sometimes you should just chill, even in FG. Fun with your opponent isn't a bad thing. Learn to respect and sometimes even congratulate your opponent after they do something cool. In the end, it really is just a game, it just happens to be a game all of us here love so much that we want to take it as far as we possibly can. And, just as in anything else, some of us can take it farther than others. But that doesn't mean we "scrubs" can't try our best.

tl;dr: a break might help.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Friendly reminder that online is pointless to you. To some people offline tournaments are what is pointless.
What I mean by saying that is that no one can even see your win rate except you. If you never click on that "Records" button even you can't see it. It's a meaningless, pointless number. It doesn't tell you anything. What if other people play on your console? Then it means even less. Winning or losing online literally means nothing. ALL that matters in determining your skill is if you can beat another player. I don't care if you have a 10 percent win lose ratio, if you can beat me or anyone else consistently in tournament, you're better than that player. This is the competitive discussion board, it really is going to focus on how things apply to in person, no-latency, offline tournaments. Which is why I tailored my response to reflect it.

TheHypnotoad

Smash Ace
Try switching characters, especially to a top tier. I felt the same way you did, my winrate kept falling, I was getting discouraged, etc. Then I picked up Rosalina. All of a sudden, I started winning more, and even when I lost, it felt less discouraging than when I lost previously. I still enjoy playing Robin more than Rosalina, but picking her up somehow improved my mentality.

It doesn't have to be Rosalina, of course. It can be any character, although I do recommend a top tier. I suggest trying Sheik, Pikachu, Rosalina, Ness, and Fox, and seeing if any of them click for you.

ChaikaBestGirl

Smash Journeyman
NNID
digdugfury
A lot of people will say things like pick a top tier and get good at them, they may get you wins but if you aren't having fun then what is the point? If you have fun winning then picking a top tier is fine. Once you do figure out a guy you want to play a lot of then go to practice and try out the bread and butter combos, then try and try into the harder stuff. After that then I'd go to FG. I understand playing a lot of people for fun but you won't get that far playing like that. The only time I would recommend trying someone new on FG is if you are playing someone pretty bad and they won't leave.

CptPuff

Smash Cadet
NNID
SonicHero007
3DS FC
3566-1570-4128
I'd suggest either switching to Smashladder or, if you can, attending offline tournaments. If there are none in your area, do what I did and try to get one going. We got a card shop that hosts Magic and YuGiOh to host us every week for Smash, so see if there isn't a hobby store around you could get something going at.

Raijinken

Smash Master
There's a lot to it, as the others have said, but generally, a few things can help improve your online experience.

1) If the match was laggy (more than a frame or two), leave when it's done. Doesn't matter how good the game could have been without lag, don't give people a second chance.
2) Taking breaks is okay, and really, encouraged.
3) If you play against someone who thrashes you, but is a sport about it (i.e. doesn't taunt unless it was something like a Falcon Punch, or swap names to insulting statements), keep playing against them. Even better if they only play a character or two repeatedly and you can practice the matchup. I played against a single opponent for something like 20 straight matches the other day, won 18 or so of them, and even then, I (at least, and hopefully he) learned some things about the characters present.
4) Don't fret over it. This ties into taking breaks. If you're getting too worked up, just go relax for a bit and come back fresh.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
I would probably not rely on For Glory, connection is spotty at times and the amount of bad habits you see will not be the ones you will run into in real competition.

Be more aware of how your opponent is moving. If you notice they like doing something, call them out for it and punish it. If you don't know how to punish that, then you should invest time into figuring out how that move or habit can be punished.

And if you really like Lucina, then you may keep playing her, she's definitely a better choice than Little Mac, lol. You should realize two things though:
1. Like Pit + Dark Pit, both Lucina and Marth have their pros and cons, and some matchups are easier with one than with the other. I advise that if you main Lucina, you should also pick up Marth and put research into their matchups so you can pick the better choice for that situation.
2. Unlike Pit + Dark Pit, Lucina and Marth are both low tiers in this game, and for good reason: their gameplan is hard to be creative with and they don't really allow for much mistakes. They are tough to master and you will lose a lot more before you start getting good with them.

Patience is key to improvement, specially if you are playing a low tier.

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
Many many players in the Rising Thunder (new free to play PC fighting game) community are also saying this. Mostly the people new to this genre. Fighting games are about losing many many many times. You will lose a lot before you get what many would call even decent. This is how it is. You are not some random Boxer who stumbled upon the ring and automatically takes bodies. This is the climb of fighting games. Its not how close you are from the top, it's how far you've come from the bottom.

To get good at these kinds of games you also have to play to learn. No amount of video watching can get you as good as someone who just plays and plays and plays while also taking their losses as learning experiences. If you are trying to read your opponent, don't read them with a slow move that will get you hit if you miss, read them with a safe move that is rewarding if hit. If you are getting hit for things you are doing, then you should not be doing those things. Simple concept, but trust me, you see this mistake everywhere (I have yet to see a reason to randomly dash attack unless it involves a tech chase or roll chase, yet people do em all the time!).

This is a 1 on 1 game (unless teams). Your buddy cannot carry you, your team cannot carry you. The road will be paved with your dead body, but only for now.

Edit: Also! Try smashladder friendlies and ask for tips in the chat with your opponent.

Another edit because why not?: As Lucina, blocking a get-up attack nets you a free Forward smash. Don't let those opportunities go to waste by shield grabbing at 120%.

Last edited:

TheMorninSun

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheMorninSun
3DS FC
1950-9735-8391
Many many players in the Rising Thunder (new free to play PC fighting game) community are also saying this. Mostly the people new to this genre. Fighting games are about losing many many many times. You will lose a lot before you get what many would call even decent. This is how it is. You are not some random Boxer who stumbled upon the ring and automatically takes bodies. This is the climb of fighting games. Its not how close you are from the top, it's how far you've come from the bottom.

To get good at these kinds of games you also have to play to learn. No amount of video watching can get you as good as someone who just plays and plays and plays while also taking their losses as learning experiences. If you are trying to read your opponent, don't read them with a slow move that will get you hit if you miss, read them with a safe move that is rewarding if hit. If you are getting hit for things you are doing, then you should not be doing those things. Simple concept, but trust me, you see this mistake everywhere (I have yet to see a reason to randomly dash attack unless it involves a tech chase or roll chase, yet people do em all the time!).

This is a 1 on 1 game (unless teams). Your buddy cannot carry you, your team cannot carry you. The road will be paved with your dead body, but only for now.

Edit: Also! Try smashladder friendlies and ask for tips in the chat with your opponent.

Another edit because why not?: As Lucina, blocking a get-up attack nets you a free Forward smash. Don't let those opportunities go to waste by shield grabbing at 120%.

Wow. That was top notch advice. About the taking losses to get better; everytime I play online I hope to find someone that is much better than I. The problem used to be when I got decimated by him/her, my resolve was shaken. Now that I've learned the only way to get better is to lose and lose again, I have a much better mentality when it comes to it, thanks to all the people here.

About the safe moves to punish; Lucina and Marth don't really have a lot of them that can actually punish hard. Most of their attacks (with the exception of Shield Breaker and Grabbing of course), are punishable if your opponent simply presses the R button.

Most times when I try to punish with F-Smash, my opponent recovers JUST in time to shield, then grab. That's why I usually use soft moves to punish when my opponent throws out a Smash attack that missed, or just grab them. If my opponent uses a move that I know leaves them open for a good amount of time, then I will commit to a Smash attack.

A lot of people here responded with use Smashladders, so I'll try.

P.S.: I LOVE long messages. It means you really put your heart into what you are trying to say. Thanks.

TheMorninSun

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheMorninSun
3DS FC
1950-9735-8391
I would probably not rely on For Glory, connection is spotty at times and the amount of bad habits you see will not be the ones you will run into in real competition.

Be more aware of how your opponent is moving. If you notice they like doing something, call them out for it and punish it. If you don't know how to punish that, then you should invest time into figuring out how that move or habit can be punished.

And if you really like Lucina, then you may keep playing her, she's definitely a better choice than Little Mac, lol. You should realize two things though:
1. Like Pit + Dark Pit, both Lucina and Marth have their pros and cons, and some matchups are easier with one than with the other. I advise that if you main Lucina, you should also pick up Marth and put research into their matchups so you can pick the better choice for that situation.
2. Unlike Pit + Dark Pit, Lucina and Marth are both low tiers in this game, and for good reason: their gameplan is hard to be creative with and they don't really allow for much mistakes. They are tough to master and you will lose a lot more before you start getting good with them.

Patience is key to improvement, specially if you are playing a low tier.
Lucina and Marth indeed have a learning curve, I learned that the hard way.

Learning my opponents habits is something I really want to learn to do. The problem is when I have to read my opponent, I can never do it without feeling scared I'm going to mess up and it's going to cost me. (I.E. going for a D-Smash predicting the roll)

Lag is definitely a problem, and the bad habits in FG are common. (STOP ROLLING PLS)

TheMorninSun

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheMorninSun
3DS FC
1950-9735-8391
I'd suggest either switching to Smashladder or, if you can, attending offline tournaments. If there are none in your area, do what I did and try to get one going. We got a card shop that hosts Magic and YuGiOh to host us every week for Smash, so see if there isn't a hobby store around you could get something going at.
I have a card shop near me, actually. One question, do you bring your own Wii U and Smash 4? Or do they have one?

TheMorninSun

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheMorninSun
3DS FC
1950-9735-8391
A lot of people will say things like pick a top tier and get good at them, they may get you wins but if you aren't having fun then what is the point? If you have fun winning then picking a top tier is fine. Once you do figure out a guy you want to play a lot of then go to practice and try out the bread and butter combos, then try and try into the harder stuff. After that then I'd go to FG. I understand playing a lot of people for fun but you won't get that far playing like that. The only time I would recommend trying someone new on FG is if you are playing someone pretty bad and they won't leave.
Whenever I play someone that's bad, I leave immediately the match after. I'm not getting any better by playing bad players.

I would pick a top tier, but none of them appeal to me. Diddy? I never even acknowledged he was a character in Brawl, and only did in Sm4sh when someone rekt me with him on FG.

Sheik? Looks too gimicky.

Rosalina? Same as Sheik.

Yoshi? Dear God, I HATE YOSHI.

Pikachu? Maybe.

ZSS? Gi-mi-cky.

I would ramble on, but I believe you get the point.

TheHypnotoad

Smash Ace
3) If you play against someone who thrashes you, but is a sport about it (i.e. doesn't taunt unless it was something like a Falcon Punch, or swap names to insulting statements), keep playing against them.
It's too bad that people keep pushing this "Don't play against people who are worse than you, you won't improve unless you lose" idea. There was someone in this very thread who was saying that. I've had people destroy me, and then leave immediately because I wasn't good enough.

Please, guys, play against people who are worse than you. They want to improve just as much as you do, but they can't if everyone who is better than them won't play against them.

Last edited:

CptPuff

Smash Cadet
NNID
SonicHero007
3DS FC
3566-1570-4128
I have a card shop near me, actually. One question, do you bring your own Wii U and Smash 4? Or do they have one?
I bring my own, they don't have any. Gotta bring TV's too. First week, we only got two setups which was a problem, but last week people got the memo and got 5 setups which was great, and I'm sure next week we'll get even more.

Raijinken

Smash Master
It's too bad that people keep pushing this "Don't play against people who are worse than you, you won't improve unless you lose" idea. There was someone in this very thread who was saying that. I've had people destroy me, and then leave immediately because I wasn't good enough.

Please, guys, play against people who are worse than you. They want to improve just as much as you do, but they can't if everyone who is better than them won't play against them.
I absolutely agree. Contrary to popular belief, if your performance doesn't receive positive feedback, it's actually not reinforced psychologically. It's good to lose so you can learn from mistakes, but if you never win then not only does it hurt morale, it also makes it harder to move your skills from conscious to subconscious actions.

KlotiuBandetto

Smash Rookie
I would say take a break and attend a real event. Nothing major. Just see how you do, the results may surprise you.

HFlash

Future Physician and Sm4sher
NNID
HFlash
The smartest thing you could do is upload a video of you playing (made easy with the new YT upload feature) and having others that know better give feedback but you sound like you are on tilt more than anything. If you aren't having fun improving, then yes you should give up. Having fun should be the main point of playing not winning. I find getting better fun personally, and don't mind getting bodied just because it shows how much I can improve.

Last edited:

Hippieslayer

Smash Ace

Firstly, stay calm, don't expect to win; try to win. Master your temper and your nerves and making rational decisions midgame becomes a lot easier. You should be watching what your opponent does just as much as you watch your own character, that's not possible if your teeming with frustration. Take deep breaths or do whatever exercise works to keep you in a calm mood.

Second, practice offline vs friends if you can.

Third, how are you not learning things? Something is iffy here, I'm willing to bet you're not looking in the right places when you're looking for information on how to play. What videos are you watching? Which guides are you reading? You should be watching tournament footage, raw competitive play featuring professional players, look at what they do, how they move, how they bait, how they followup, how their mindgames work; moreover, you should be reading this thread if you to keep with the metagame: http://smashboards.com/threads/viab...ive-impressions.410551/page-126#post-19959315 <- you really should keep up with that thread.

How well do you understand the fundamentals of competitive play? Mindgames, neutral/advantaged/disadvantaged states, etc etc.
Are you saving replays of your losses so that you can watch them later to analyze your gameplay and spot your mistakes? If not do so.

Never practice vs cpu's, it's utterly pointless and will make you worse. Only practice vs cpus in training mode in order to learn combos/practice execution, **** like that. Never actively fight cpu's, you will just pick up bad habits. Also, if a character infuriates you, pick up said character, that way you'll learn its weaknesses the hard way. In general its good to be able to play decently with ALL characters on the rooster, because you need to grasp the fundamentals of all characters in order to fight them effectively. This takes times. Don't stay loyal to 1-4 characters, that's stupid. You're not a pro player, keep an open mind and explore the game. You can pick up your mains later when you have a better grasp of things, of course if you'd rather win than get good you should pick a main right away and then just learn all the gimmicks you can with it, that'll let you do better in the beginning, but in the end it will hold you back.

Finally, don't play to win. Play to learn, I can use cheesy online strategies to beat opponents, cheap gimmicks and stuff like that are enough to beat a majority, but you'll never get good playing like that. You have to try to play correctly even if that means losing a thousand games until you learn to do so properly. I see you wrote in the thread that you're scared that you'll fail when you try and read your opponents, that's a really really bad excuse, of course there's a risk everytime you try and read, that's why its called reading. Moreover, the way you learn to do stuff like reading and other stuff is by trying until you succeed, knowing that in order to succeed you have to first fail until you do. Its like that whenever you try to implement a new strategy to improve your game, in the beginning it will make you weaker and will cause you to lose more.

Last edited:

TriTails

Smash Lord
This may sound like a jerk advice but, if you are fighting against players who has bad habits (e.g. rolling after whiffing every time), leave immediately after one match. I tried to give 'second chance' to those kind of players for about half an hour and then rolling suddenly become 70% of my footsies for the next one hour, and my Luigi then became trash, I get rekt, and I get salty.

However, if you are fighting against players who don't have bad habits, you may be able to learn a thing or two from them.

And people ask how to git gud. The answer does not lie anywhere but in you. It depends if you are able to be in your opponent's head and read what they are trying to do, and punish if you can. You can also read habits and do such things that you wouldn't usually have done but can actually punish your opponent. Example, there's this Greninja I fought that instead of spotdodging, shielding, or rolling after he whiff an attack, he shorthopped instead. I was thrown off because of this but then I adaptated, and whenever he whiff and attack, I go for a SH N-air as Luigi. Smash 4 is about adaptation, really. Players often determines win/lose instead of characters.

But if there's input lag, standard lag, or any ****s that screws over your game, just leave the room and find someone else worth fighting. Getting rekt by a Marth in an almost no lag situation is much, much better than beating scrubby Links in a lag that makes 2 seconds look like thirty.

Hope they can help you.

Sodo

Smash Journeyman
I am not afraid to admit that my first experience getting absolutely wrecked was a Luigi on FG who beat me probably 15 or 20 games in a row, but I learned more from playing that guy than I did in the hundreds of matches prior to playing him.

LightLV

Smash Ace
for glory sucks anyway. You may not notice if you don't play many local matches, but this game's netplay mode is really, REALLY bad.

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
for glory sucks anyway. You may not notice if you don't play many local matches, but this game's netplay mode is really, REALLY bad.
I will have to disagree with you there unless you are speaking about the way they go about for glory. I think we all agree they could have handled rules and matchmaking better.

In terms of lag however, as long as you have a good internet connection, it is a good tool to learn to play smarter. I've had majority great connections especially with players who are worth playing. This game isn't so much about missing 2 frames due to lag, it's more about playing smart than tech skill (for the most part at least). If I can punish rolls with Rest then I think the lag is fine.

LightLV

Smash Ace
I will have to disagree with you there unless you are speaking about the way they go about for glory. I think we all agree they could have handled rules and matchmaking better.

In terms of lag however, as long as you have a good internet connection, it is a good tool to learn to play smarter. I've had majority great connections especially with players who are worth playing. This game isn't so much about missing 2 frames due to lag, it's more about playing smart than tech skill (for the most part at least). If I can punish rolls with Rest then I think the lag is fine.
It's about as bad for playing as any other netplay. Even in fighters like Guilty Gear or SF4, the dropped frames make a noticeable difference. As for Smash 4, i don't think i've ever had a match under like 6-9 frames of delay. It really destroys your ability to react to things. Which is especially problematic with smash 4's defense mechanics slanted the way they are.

It's good if you're able to make the adjustment and understand that netplay puts everyone at a disadvantage. But netplay in general can promote some gameplay habits that don't carry into local very well.

Last edited:

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
Well, you're maining Lucina. What exactly is your win rate? She can be good, but you lack so many options that other characters have. If it's 50%+ and you're only using Lucina you're doing pretty well in my opinion.

You might want to try other characters to see if they feel good to you. A better character will theoretically be easier to win with...if they fit your playstyle as well as Lucina. If not, Lucina can still do pretty well. I've seen some Lucinas do things in tourneys.

I use Dedede as my main and my win rate is around 60%. I think that's pretty good considering I'm constantly going through unfavorable matchups. Especially since all the matches are on FD and that gives spammy characters a big advantage against me.

This week I started playing ZSS and am

Last edited:

Winnnn _AKA_Walt Piffney

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Winnnnnnnn
Continue you to get your ass whooped and I like it. I'm not kidding your doing what your supposed to be doing. If your on the lucina boards watch the lucina pros and your still loosing then you are getting better even tho it may not seem like it. Answer me this can you b-reverse on call if you don't kno what that is or cant do it consistently then you have some work to do with lucina. Can you RAR consistently? Fall off the ledge with a fair to chase the opponent? Also why are you running in for grabs? Your not Falcon. A decent amount of my kills come from people trying to grab spot dodge utilt kills them. The only time you should grab with a character who doesn't have a projectile is for a punish on a move with tons of in lag. I mean your new. Don't give up yet o and go on smash ladder and purposely play better people.

LightLV

Smash Ace
Lucina is very netplay friendly, she's the type of character i'd expect to have a high winrate online. No spacing mechanic on her sword, good punish with Fsmash, an option to break shields, a counter move, ect.

Aggressive play loses to defensive play on this game. You have to learn to be aggressive by abusing the defensive mechanics in this game. Yes, i know, "that sounds stupid" you think, but it's how this game works.

Learn the art of runup > shield. It beats like, everything.

Learn to read your opponent's airdodge habits, and learn to bait them into doing it for an attack or grab.

Also, learn to read the situations when your opponent wastes their second jump. It leaves them in a terrible position if you get them offf the stage. Combine this with airdodge reading and you can do some real damage.

Learn to respect the fact that rolling/sidestepping is stupid on this game. If you have a character with long-active hitboxes that easily punish rolls, wait for the frontroll and smash them for it. Otherwise, just learn how to let it go and go back to neutral.

Again, just because you know a roll or sidestep is coming doesn't always mean a punish is going to be easy, depending on your character. Rolls are very good, and some players, even "scrubby" ones, know how to abuse this in a way that baits you into a bad situation. Netplay just makes it worse.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom