• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Give me Marth info, plz

Drodeka

Smash Journeyman
Picked the game up after having done no research. Being an avid Melee player the game didn't appeal to me until I played Smash Run, and now I have interest in playing For Glory. I really dig Megaman, but Marth is just wonderful in this game with punish and prediction, so I've been playing mostly him.

I've fought a lot of Marth dittos, as he's pretty popular, and I've yet to lose one. It seems everybody just thinks dash attack and F-Smash are going to get the job done. Nobody seems to be using any movement techniques except dodge rolling and a fox trot here and there. So, the things I would like to know about Marth are:

What is the general consensus on how good he is, from a competitive stand point?
(I imagine he's not high tier, as he lacks "gimmicks", but he's definitely solid, right?)

How is the metagame for Marth developing among good/high level players?
(No wavedash means a calmer Marth, how are players handling this?)

What movement options are worth learning and applying for Marth, if any?

I heard there is some nifty pivot stuff going on, but I can't really figure out how to pivot anything except F-Tilt and F-Smash, which are both very handy, but also nothing new to me. RAR B-air has been a lot of fun and being able to use my entire moveset OoS is a kick.

Also, which throw to use? Seems like they all suck.

Alaya

Smash Cadet
Do a full hop, angling towards them and hitting with a fair right as you start and pulling back with the potential to weave back in on your fall for a second attack based on their reaction or back off and land to do it again.

Foodies

Smash Journeyman
General consensus appears to be mid-tier. I haven't seen too many high level players play Marth, but without the wavedash he plays closer to Brawl (expected) - control space/limit their options with your range and disjoint. You shouldn't need to be running all over the place since his walk is the fastest and you have basically all options out of it. Pivoting is good. Fthrow/Bthrow to get them offstage, Uthrow for kills, Dthrow for juggle setups. Dthrow to uair/bair at low % is good and usually forces your opponent to jump to avoid getting hit.

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
All the info I've gathered on Marth so far you can find here, so if ya got the time, feel free to have a look if it offers anything of help for ya:
http://smashboards.com/threads/marth-combos-setups-strategies.372527/#post-17752083

Though to pick out based on the questions asked, I can answer the last two from my own experience.

Protecting yourself through DB or SB after doing SH Fairs is an interesting option, the SH DB setup opens another means of keeping opponents on their toes and typically down throws or forward throws are good for a combo/setup and Fair setup respectfully. You may also consider looking into pivot grabs, due to the extended grab reach and it serves as a nice mixup option.

Drodeka

Smash Journeyman
I've had trouble with ROB and Pit/Dark Pit mostly. Samus, Megaman, Pac Man and such haven't been a problem, but ROB's too handy at keeping Marth out and catching any attempts at retreating if I make a mistake.

Pit/Dark Pit feels almost identical to the Marth-Falco matchup in Melee, except one key thing: Marth can't punish at all.
Pit outranges me on almost every attack, and has more recovery mixups than can be covered by standard edgeguarding. He survives at insanely high percentages and is almost impossible to punish on anything unless he whiffs or hits shield. His grab range is longer, his arrows force approach... ugh. Bad times for Marth. Megaman handled the matchup well but I'd like to be able to solo main Marth.

Top Bottom