• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Gimpyfish's Brawl Impressions - Brawl Talk Episode 1 Added

Status
Not open for further replies.

I_R_Hungry

Smash Journeyman
Tell that to Link and Ganondorf. Hell, if you had to wait until after you can fastfall to attack, Ganondorf couldn't even get a fair off during a FULL jump, let alone a shorthop. Even after a DOUBLE JUMP he just barely makes it. You need to attack on the way up.
Characters are slower in air so this will likely not be a problem for most attacks.

We don't want to shoot ourselves in the foot by going against some of the fundamentals of the Smash's design.
*scratches head* so I take it SSB64 went against the fundamentals of its own design? or

or something

like seriously wtf

Zink

Smash Champion
yeah i think you can still sheildgrab almost everything if they do l cancel, but we aren't exactly at the peak of brawl's gameplay yet LOL
LESS POSTING MORE UPDATING *cracks whip*
lol j/k Gimpy, we know you want to spend at least a page on Bowser <3
seriously though, the new LC and the new sheildgrab will balance out, just you wait.

Dynamism

Smash Lord
I'll be semi-&quot;dead&quot; for a while after Fe
I am extremely glad that they have removed L (the button) Canceling. It realy wasn't needed. Just more button pressing but it didn't really give you more options or make you actually use your head, it was just a button to get in the habbit of pressing ALL the time because it was always good to do. Now it actually gives you choices and different ways to use it. "LC this attack, or use this one and risk the lag?" Now this brings depth to the game if anything.

I love disecting this stuff...you're so lucky Gimpy.

WE ALL PLAY BRAWL ON FEB 10TH = FEB 10TH 4 ALL BEST DAY EVAH!!!

WoapGang

Mighty Soul of Woapgang
3DS FC
3411-2904-8277
I am extremely glad that they have removed L (the button) Canceling. It realy wasn't needed. Just more button pressing but it didn't really give you more options or make you actually use your head, it was just a button to get in the habbit of pressing ALL the time because it was always good to do. Now it actually gives you choices and different ways to use it. "LC this attack, or use this one and risk the lag?" Now this brings depth to the game if anything.

I was never that good with L Canceling in the first place anyway.....FEBRUARY 10TH IS MY BIRTHDAY....SERIOUSLY!!

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion

ummm.... another lulz

l-cancelling gave you more options, no matter if you could do it or not
In melee l-cancelling was ALWAYS better, so there was nothing bad about doing an aerial as soon as you could. Now you're taking a risk by doing an aerial EVERY time, because it's either a late attack or a lot of lag

Zink

Smash Champion
ummm.... another lulz

l-cancelling gave you more options, no matter if you could do it or not
In melee l-cancelling was ALWAYS better, so there was nothing bad about doing an aerial as soon as you could. Now you're taking a risk by doing an aerial EVERY time, because it's either a late attack or a lot of lag
or we could learn to LC every time lol.
Anyway, if the game really is more focused on aerial play reducing landing lag will only be important for continuing combos and approaches. And I'm SURE we'll have better approaches than random aerials.

Dynamism

Smash Lord
Cape don't work no more...FLUUD, once we know what we're doing

Also, :SH>Bair>FF>BairWD>SH>Bair>FF>BairWD>: (repeat) > Dash>SH>DOCFAIR!!!

Edit: F&V

Exactly!!!!
Riskier but takes more skill both in terms of options (because some things you may be able to cancel and others may not have time to FF but you have a choice to take the risk or play safe). melee had less options to chose from but more habbits to abide to.

FREAKIN great BDay gift PMA

Random arials were just another one of those habbits that we can use to be little tacticless estimaters with. *Falcon Punch* spammed arials in the face!

Zink

Smash Champion
yeah, FLUDD, people seem to have a lot of trouble figuring it out LOL.
I wish more people had done stuff on the footstool jump. I hope it won't wind up being useless... I suppose it's just a spike for characters that don't already have one, but it seems kinda unwieldly...

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
I think he's trying to say taking out manual L-cancel makes more use of mind and calm reaction. Low level players are natural predicable and panic and they can't adapt. Some can even L-cancel and wavedash, but they still play dumb. I would agree that "removing" L-cancel and wavedash reduces the practice of techs needed and help players focus more on the mind.

Adding manual techs does help weed out non-competive player, but when you're really are competitve and good it doesn't really matter much if they're in or not. You may just have to practice to get the manual tech down.

Anyways, right now Gimpyfish is saying it' pretty much a whole new game. Just take it in as that.

Man I am getting so anxious for the character descriptions!

Zink

Smash Champion
Yo Gimpyfish, watch out for the fires, man, ok?
I'd love to see how Ike is turning out. I think his slowness won't be as crippling as it seems.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
well from the videos i saw everybody looks to be equally contested. hooray for no tiers!!!
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

Ahem.

Anyways.

I'm really looking forward to the final part of this update. C'mon, Gimpy. We're all chomping at the bit here.

..and I'm afraid of using my SN/tag on the SWF for closing out this post, for fear of reprisal. So, yeah.

Peace.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
I think L-cancelling was the thing that separated the boys from the men in Smash.
If you could L-cancel in Melee (or Z-cancel in SSB64), you were a better player.
Now that there's no need for L-cancelling, it's going to be a bit more challenging to be "better".
With it out, I feel the competative scene will be degraded.

...but that's just me.

Dynamism

Smash Lord
I think he's trying to say taking out manual L-cancel makes more use of mind and calm reaction. Low level players are natural predicable and panic and they can't adapt. Some can even L-cancel and wavedash, but they still play dumb. I would agree that "removing" L-cancel and wavedash reduces the practice of techs needed and help players focus more on the mind.

Exactly, thank you

Anyways, right now Gimpyfish is saying it' pretty much a whole new game. Just take it in as that.

Cheers to that

Man I am getting so anxious for the character descriptions!
I'm just happy someone (everyone) that played at E for all is being so helpful and not keeping any secrets *coughaimableflamecough* because these Gimpy thread updates are more important than the DOJO updates this weekHOLLLLLLLY SHEET!!!!
did I just say that?

Sakurais is watching, now he'll update the Captain for sure, heheh

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
X-x-Dyce-x-X,

I can see what you're getting at. Techs are like a screen against low level players. But here's an example: Years ago before I can even wavedash effectively I played with Link beat a Fox player who can wavedash, dashdance, L-cancel and all in a tournament. So mind over techs...

I say only thing competitive player have to worry about is a broken easy-to-do strategy that mid-level player will abuse.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
X-x-Dyce-x-X,

I can see what you're getting at. Techs are like a screen against low level players. But here's an example: Years ago before I can even wavedash effectively I played with Link beat a Fox player who can wavedash, dashdance, L-cancel and all in a tournament. So mind over techs...

I say only thing competitive player have to worry about is a broken easy-to-do strategy that mid-level player will abuse.
it's because he played stupid. If he was actually good with those techniques you would have been dead. Aniki is as good as you could ever get, and he's not that highly ranked.

Read Pixel's story on Aniki, epic

MaNg0

Smash Hero
Yea so people like me can be smart!! er!!!

And wow everytime i go user cp
Some one new posted..
crazy!

RDK

Smash Hero
I played with Link beat a Fox player who can wavedash, dashdance, L-cancel and all in a tournament. So mind over techs...
I highly doubt that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom