• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Getting off of the ledge help

Dapplegonger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetX-tremist
3DS FC
5129-1289-1208
This is one of the most annoying things to do for me. I can't get out to many tournaments, but I play against my brother. He uses Marth and Roy a lot, and when he gets me off the stage, I can't do anything because no matter what I do, he can hit me right back off. I try to missile back on to the stage while recovering and he simply swats me away. He's found the perfect spacing so that my roll puts me right in front of him, I can't get my aerials out before he hits me with the sword if I jump up, and simply getting up is too slow. I've tried to jump up and 'nado my way to hit him, but his f-smash comes out before I reach him. What option am I missing!?

ELStalky

Smash Apprentice
You are probably too slow in acting after catching the ledge. If you let go and re-jump right away and attack you should get a hitbox out while still invincible. Similarly a good ledge-dash (re-jump wave-land onto the stage) should also get you a few meters onto the stage before you can be hit again.

Another option to get back from the ledge is re-jump to down-b, which covers a similar distance as the ledge-dash but obviously has hitboxes with the downside of the attack's wind-down. I don't know if it's suitable against Marth or Roy though.

Neutral get-up from the ledge is pretty good below 100%, you can combine it with a quick jab, c-stick spot-dodge or roll (hold L and c-stick to immediately perform those actions as soon any lag stops). Just try to not be predictable, if he's not careful you may even want to throw in get-up attacks.

Last edited:

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
Learn to ledgedash perfectly; drop down as soon as possible and immediately jump, then airdodge quickly (not immediately) afterwards. Just practice this frequently until you can do it consistently under pressure like any other ledge option. If you airdodge at a shallow angle you can move very far into the stage to escape from the disadvantageous position of being near the ledge.

It is possible to buffer a roll or spotdodge out of a ledgedash while completely invulnerable, meaning that if you do it right Luigi has at least 3 frames of invulnerability after you come out of the lag from the waveland (it could be higher, I don't know). It's not Fox's invincible up smash but it's still good. 3 frames is enough to get out an invulnerable jab (which at high percentages can combo into a grab), a forward tilt or up tilt with 1 frame of vulnerability, or a down smash with 2 frames of vulnerability. If he gets more invulnerability than 3 frames then they other things could potentially be invulnerable as well.

Last edited:

Sea Buoy

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3351-5278-5305
To expand on Stride's comment, ledgedashing is extremely versatile. Common options are landing into a grab or a jab-grab. Other options are also to u-tilt or f-tilt. Also I'd like to point out that you never (EVER) want to missile on to the stage. The best option is to missile underneath the ledge into the stage. After this, you can fall and then attempt to sweet spot the ledge with Up-B.

You can also try ledge dropping to regrab the ledge to mix-up the timing of you using a ledge option so that you're not as easy to read. Luigi's get-up attack also has a surprisingly decent range when under 100%.

NanoHologuise

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3110-6094-3408
I've noticed when playing against Marth that if they get into the habit of Fsmashing to punish you getting up from the ledge, and the tip of the sword is about at the ledge, a good way to get around this is to ledgedrop>regrab and then/or just ledgehop waveland on stage. Ideally, and this has happened to me multiple times, you can be fast enough to slide past the fsmash and go for the punish, whether that would be a tilt, a smash, grab, whatever.

Remember that you can waveland and then shield if they start reading your other getups

Top Bottom