• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Getting a Head Start on Java

Overload

Smash Lord
I'm going to major in computer science and will be learning the Java programming language in college. I am thinking about getting a head start by playing around with the language before college starts. Does anyone know of any free online tutorials or anything that could help? I have a little bit of programming experience with a language called Blitz Basic but I don't know how much of that knowledge will help me in Java.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Get some of the basic concepts of programming (in general) down.

Stuff like loops: do loops, for loops, while loops, etc...

Conditionals: switches, if's, else's, ...

IO: Print to screen, keyboard input, file input, file output, ...

Data types: integers (long, short, signed, unsigned, etc...) floats, doubles, characters, strings, ....

Data structures: arrays, linked lists, more complex OO stuff like classes and objects...

Then try making programs of increasing difficulty. First make a "Hello World" program. (A program that just prints "Hello World" to the screen.) Then make it say something that you type into the program. etc.. keep adding stuff to it.

As for tutorials... seriously just about anywhere on the internet has tutorials. Wikipedia is really good, you know?

Overload

Smash Lord
I have experience with some loops in Blitz Basic as well as conditionals, data types, keyboard input, and a little with arrays. I've made a few simple games so I'm not a complete beginner. I'll search around some more for tutorials.

Super Touhey

Smash Cadet
I've never heard of blitz basic, but if you've learned the concepts of things like loops and data structures, then the only thing you would need to learn would be the syntax.

declaring and instantiating an integer:
int i = 1;
using simple math:
i = 2+2;
incrementing:
i++;
simple for loop with n as number of repeats:
for (int i = 0; i < n; i++)

Just make sure you have a good understanding of the primitive data types like ints doubles strings booleans etc. and how they differ from eachother. Also if blitz basic is not object oriented, it might be a good idea to learn how to make classes.

Overload

Smash Lord
From what I understand, Blitz Basic is object oriented:

Type bullet
Field x,y
End type

For b.bullet = Each bullet
do stuff
Next

GenesisJLS

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to major in computer science and will be learning the Java programming language in college. I am thinking about getting a head start by playing around with the language before college starts. Does anyone know of any free online tutorials or anything that could help? I have a little bit of programming experience with a language called Blitz Basic but I don't know how much of that knowledge will help me in Java.
Hey Overload, here is a book that helped me a bit when I took some Java courses in college earlier in the year. If you go through this book you should be in great shape in college. The book's title is Head First Java, and it's a very easy read for a programing book. Good luck.

Overload

Smash Lord
I'm actually going to major in computer programming, and minor in game development. I wanted to do games from the start, but am going to minor in it because a computer programming degree seems more flexible when getting a job. Also, if I can't find a job making games I can do other programming. Not sure whether or not the classes I'll be taking include Java, but if so, I might check out what you guys recommended.

Sp133n

Smash Rookie
http://www.holtsoft.com/
Download Ready to Program, was my first compiler in my first Java class, has exactly what you need and nothing more, easy to understand unlike Eclipse, and it's free, it's beautiful =] a great start till you move onto more advanced groups of programs =]

noradseven

Smash Lord
I'm actually going to major in computer programming, and minor in game development. I wanted to do games from the start, but am going to minor in it because a computer programming degree seems more flexible when getting a job. Also, if I can't find a job making games I can do other programming. Not sure whether or not the classes I'll be taking include Java, but if so, I might check out what you guys recommended.
For a heads up not many games are made in java even though its become more popular most right now are being made in, C#(PC/360), and objective C(mac/ipod touch) , OO C languages, so somewhat similar to java in the way it treats variables but closer to C in everything else.

So if you have the option between more java and more of these courses later take more C courses.

Overload

Smash Lord
Yeah, I realize most games are made in the C languages. The classes in my major include Java and C++, so I'm all set. I already have a C++ book and some other books from the game programming major since my friend's went to college for that. I think he dropped out, but he gave me his books for free which is pretty awesome.

Top Bottom