• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Get Metagamed (Version Playstyle Discussion)

Blazing Seraph

Smash Cadet
NNID
XxKajixX
Smash 3DS is already released, and with it have come a slew of tournaments. But there are some questions that have been floating around that I wanted to pose directly to the boards. How will the metagame differ between 3DS and Wii U versions? Do you expect a radical tierlist difference? Who do you see dominating each/both games?
Quick examples
:4megaman:=Good in 3DS
:4greninja:=Good in Wii U

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
I wouldn't be surprised if this thread is arbitrarily locked, so before then, I don't think there will be big differences in the tiers on each platform. If anything it will be due to the stages available. I see this happening:

3DS: :4zss::4shulk::4villager::4duckhunt::4bowserjr:

WiiU: :4zss::4duckhunt::4bowserjr::4bowser::4villager:

or something similar.

Joe73191

Smash Journeyman
Wait, are the physics going to be different in the Wii U version?
oh my goodness that would be awesome! No I don't think the physics will be different unless they have different physics as an option in special versus.

I see Bowser, Villager and DHD being tops in 3DS and ZSS, Bowser JR and DHD being tops in Wii U.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
oh my goodness that would be awesome! No I don't think the physics will be different unless they have different physics as an option in special versus.

I see Bowser, Villager and DHD being tops in 3DS and ZSS, Bowser JR and DHD being tops in Wii U.
Oh god, I thought the physics were going to be different or something. At least for me, that would be awful. I'd like to be able to switch between the Wii U/3DS version for HD on a TV (+GC Controller)/portability.

May I ask why the games would have different tier lists?

Joe73191

Smash Journeyman
Well it is different in controlling your characters on a Gamecube controller then on a 3DS. Especially with reports of 3DS breaking the control sticks already. Also there might not be all the same people playing both all the time. More advanced characters will be more popular on the Wii U while characters that don't require such intense play will probably be more popular on the 3DS. More importantly what types of people are going to be playing each version? More competitive players will gravitate toward Wii U and away from 3DS so it makes sense that the tier lists will differ.

Blazing Seraph

Smash Cadet
NNID
XxKajixX
Well it is different in controlling your characters on a Gamecube controller then on a 3DS. Especially with reports of 3DS breaking the control sticks already. Also there might not be all the same people playing both all the time. More advanced characters will be more popular on the Wii U while characters that don't require such intense play will probably be more popular on the 3DS. More importantly what types of people are going to be playing each version? More competitive players will gravitate toward Wii U and away from 3DS so it makes sense that the tier lists will differ.
This is the argument that I have the most focus on. With the degree of control afforded by a gamecube controller, it will directly affect the characters played in each version and therefore, the tierlists in each game.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
There will be very little to no difference in the metagame between versions. That was Sakurai's explicit goal when developing both, especially with the N3DS rearing its ugly head.

Last edited:

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Even if the stage list resulted in a different metagame for the 3DS version, it won't really matter since no one will ever play that version of the game in tournaments. Once the Wii U version is out, it'll be the only version played competitively, simply because it's so much easier to set up a tournament using a console compared to handhelds.

Crimnonin

Smash Cadet
NNID
Gettinjiggy
3DS FC
0920-0728-2546
I doubt that the games are perfect translations of each other. People will probably discover some bug in one game that doesn't exist in the other.

Maybe there will be significant differences beyond that? Probably not, but one can dream...

Top Bottom