• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kremling Kommander

Smash Journeyman
Well, potentially RIP to a BotW 2 trailer for me...

To anyone who is probably upset that we may have to wait longer for Geno, I perfectly understand. Considering how weird it would be to have him there, we’re down to three spots now, and the chances are shrinking for him to be in.
But if a certain marine gets in...
45AFCA4F-CCC1-4D03-A2C9-A5D1137977E2.jpeg

Well, let’s just say that perhaps waiting longer will be good for us in the long run;)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Im not gonna lie, i respect crash fans, but crash would honestly be pretty disappointing for me personally.
Hypothetically, if it was Crash, it was another character that insiders heard right? Excatly, how long like last summer? Basically another character that has heard by insiders and end up being true which is a good thing for Geno once again proving a character heard can take time to pan out like Steve.

super88cloud

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
Sw-1747-1648-3976
Goddamit, it feels good to be somewhat right.
For those who insisted on december dates. Nice.
Odds are doomguy or crash, for a character. But geno would blow my mind.

CopperKoopa

Smash Journeyman
All I know is that if the Jonesy fake **** ends being real I'm 100% gonna uninstall Smash this time lol. I sadly haven't heard anything on my end, my guy is being the same saying what character would make him uninstall the game himself haha. But well, we have still some hours ahead, maybe it leaks somewhere else… maybe it won't.
I bet it would only leak an hour or so before the show, as industry insiders start chatting with their friends on discord and the like. They have been insanely tight lipped for a while now and we've heard murmurs they "cleaned house" so to speak to try and shut down leaks.

Nobody said CP6 would be an ARMS character until it was revealed that it was, and then most people called Min Min with insiders giving subtle hints.

Steve was considered "leakbait" for years, especially after Banjo came out. It wasn't until just before he was revealed, probably 24hrs, that Imran Khan dropped a hint it was him. Then PracticalBrush over on Reddit full on stated it was Steve plus a few details an hour or two before his reveal.

I'm watching PracticalBrush on Reddit, personally. NOBODY leaked Byleth and Brush was the only person who straight up told us, accurately, who it was and how they played like the day before it was revealed. They even told us we'd get Cuphead.

Actually, Brush has some other cred too. If you look them on Reddit, Brush has gotten a lot correct and usually drops leaks within an extremely short timespan prior to the reveal so either they work these events and learn about things a short time before they happen OR PracticalBrush has contacts/is a contact that only learns of things last minute from inside Nintendo. They leaked the new Monster Hunter games, Sword and Shield DLC, and a few other interesting things that all came out true.

Mr. Peepee

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn’t be surprised if we also get the date revealed for the next Mr. Sakurai Presents. The character has to be done by now right?

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
Hey. So why is Geno “not big enough” for the Game Awards? Lads, lasses, and everyone in between: Most of us have been asking for this for the better part of two decades.

Geno’s support runs longer and deeper than most others not yet in. Most of Geno’s fans are probably adults. GameStop had to do a hilarious amount of damage control simply for uttering the phrase “Remember when people FREAKED OUT when Geno got added to Smash?”

This is no way guarantees GenoTime is tonight and lots of folks seem likely for one reason or another.

But stop selling this community short in saying that revealing the longest standing unheard fan request in the history of this ****ing game is somehow “not big enough” for The Game Awards.

Geno is ****ing big enough to be announced by Keanu Reeves and Reggie Fils Aime at the same time while holding hands (even if the reveal ends up being someone else) and dont you forget it.

Last edited:

helloiamhere

Smash Journeyman
This is likely gonna be the last Smash Ultimate TGA reveal (unless they do a FP3) so hopefully they go out on a bang.

Kremling Kommander

Smash Journeyman
Watch out for anything that people like Imran Khan or Zhuge may say up to the reveal, they may do another cryptic tease.
Also, do you guys think the fighter will come out this month, or next month?

Joshdabozz

Smash Cadet
Geno is trending apparently, So is Pheonix Wright, who would be cool. Also I do think Crash will appear at the Game awards in some fashion, whether or not its smash. There was that leaked document leakers said existed with Crash on the run, Crash in smash, and Crash 4 all planned. Either way Geno better happen or ima scream

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Hey. So why is Geno “not big enough” for the Game Awards? Lads, lasses, and everyone in between: Most of us have been asking for this for the better part of two decades.

Geno’s support runs longer and deeper than most others not yet in. Most of Geno’s fans are probably adults. GameStop had to do a hilarious amount of damage control simply for uttering the phrase “Remember when people FREAKED OUT when Geno got added to Smash?”

This is no way guarantees GenoTime is tonight and lots of folks seem likely for one reason or another.

But stop selling this community short in saying that revealing the longest standing unheard fan request in the history of this ****ing game is somehow “not big enough” for The Game Awards.

Geno is ****ing big enough to be announced by Keanu Reeves and Reggie Fils Aime at the same time while holding hands (even if the reveal ends up being someone else) and dont you forget it.
Probably because there aren't any recent releases to tie him into, and seeing as the Game Awards focuses on listing what some people consider to be the best games of the year (along with showing upcoming releases), the main focus is on recently-released stuff.

Unless Nintendo announces a Super Mario RPG remake, I'm guessing that it's going to be Dante (who had a huge release last year), Doomguy (whose game is up for a lot of nomination at the Game Awards), or Crash Bandicoot (whose series has undergone a huge revival recently). I'd love to be wrong, and to see Geno get revealed tonight, but I figure that it's more likely to happen in a regular Nintendo Direct where the focus isn't primarily/exclusively on what's new. (also, Geoff Keighley, the host/executive producer, made a comment on Instagram that points to one of those three characters, though he could just be messing with people)

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Ah another reveal where Geno is probably top 2 most likely. I'm fully prepared for it to be someone unrelated and boring as all hell but will watch with clenched asscheeks regardless
That's why I'm kind of angry because a number of things do suggest Geno:

-Like I talked about, every month except June since March has made it a point to have major Mario announcements and releases, even if they're DLC. Obviously, December's have not happened yet.

-This character was likely an E3 reveal and very likely was originally planned to be released in early September. Not only was that the month of Mario 35 but also when we had Smash Amiibo rereleases of Mario, Luigi, Daisy, and both Clouds along with Hero and Joker.

-The Smash Mario tournaments were delayed three months to December. The North American and European one is this weekend. Nintendo has been strangely quiet about it.

-Last spirits that were re-added into the game were Paper Mario and Octopath Traveler. The Paper Mario spirits were the last new spirits and, coincidentally, the weekend before the Mario Direct.

-Geno and Ryu are pretty much the only two characters that multiple insiders have openly talked about in a serious capacity since July.

-The "Beware of Mushrooms" tournament somehow is now even more obnoxious.

It's going to be a long day...

Kremling Kommander

Smash Journeyman
I’m not gonna lie, I’m kinda scared. Yeah that’s with all the reveals but something about this one makes me really nervous. If a Square character is next, you can bet it is 90% not Geno because they would want a character who people will recognize and be shocked about. I don’t know man, I don’t expect Geno but I really hope we don’t get deconfirmed tonight bros.

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
Probably because there aren't any recent releases to tie him into, and seeing as the Game Awards focuses on listing what some people consider to be the best games of the year (along with showing upcoming releases), the main focus is on recently-released stuff.
This does make sense. I understand why the venue doesn’t make much sense. I simply wanted to say that we are big enough, smart enough, and gosh darn it, people like us!

Firox

Smash Master

Unless Nintendo announces a Super Mario RPG remake, I'm guessing that it's going to be Dante (who had a huge release last year), Doomguy (whose game is up for a lot of nomination at the Game Awards), or Crash Bandicoot (whose series has undergone a huge revival recently). I'd love to be wrong, and to see Geno get revealed tonight, but I figure that it's more likely to happen in a regular Nintendo Direct where the focus isn't primarily/exclusively on what's new. (also, Geoff Keighley, the host/executive producer, made a comment on Instagram that points to one of those three characters, though he could just be messing with people)
This pretty much sums it up. Either Geno comes with a SMRPG remake or we're looking at Dante, Doomguy and Crash as possibles. Absolute worst case, Jonesy. In which case, I'll have to uninstall Smash.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Yeah, it's 10 days into December and Nintendo hasn't made any major Mario announcements yet despite a Mario focused challenge cup this weekend and them rescheduling a string of Mario events from September to this month...Maaaaaaaan, **** this situation...

Phoenix_Despairing.gif

It also kind of kills me because I've noticed a number of people talking about a duel reveal here and on Discord for some reason and surely the universe wouldn't be that kind for a change, right? I'm just so tired at this point...

MattX20

Smash Hero
I would like someone else more than Jonesy as well, but I don’t see how Steve’s negotiation time makes Jonesy less likely. I don’t think that one “no comment” from Epic Games means he’s getting in, though.

And Steve wasn’t that polarizing; a big majority loved him.
It makes Jonesy less likely because if it took 5 years just to see a greenlight for the most successful video game ever made, Fortnite would be stuck in a similar legal hell, and it already has to contend with other major Western 3rd parties and the legacies that Doom, Crash Bandicoot, Rayman, and more have by a wide margin

EntropyAtrophy

Smash Journeyman
This pretty much sums it up. Either Geno comes with a SMRPG remake or we're looking at Dante, Doomguy and Crash as possibles. Absolute worst case, Jonesy. In which case, I'll have to uninstall Smash.
I’d be 100% on board with this, were it not for the simple fact that a tournament named “Beware of Mushrooms” in Japan starts tomorrow.

That being said, Doom Guy showing up with a Cacodemon hat costume soft confirms Geno, so that’s alright with me too.

It also kind of kills me because I've noticed a number of people talking about a duel reveal here and on Discord for some reason and surely the universe wouldn't be that kind for a change, right? I'm just so tired at this point...
Doom Guy and Geno double reveal time!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
It makes Jonesy less likely because if it took 5 years just to see a greenlight for the most successful video game ever made, Fortnite would be stuck in a similar legal hell, and it already has to contend with other major Western 3rd parties and the legacies that Doom, Crash Bandicoot, Rayman, and more have by a wide margin
I feel Steve’s negotiation stuff was partly due to timing, probably not being sure where to place him, maybe others being prioritized, and so he ended up as Ultimate DLC. I really doubt it was a big legal heck (aside from C418’s music, apparently), considering how free Microsoft and Mojang are with the IP, and letting Nintendo have a few things already. Mojang also appeared to really want it and were excited for it. Fortnite is also from a completely different company.

Though I still think Jonesy is unlikely, I just disagree with this reason.

Last edited:

Paraspikey

Smash Journeyman

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Hoo boy.

First off, I wanna appreciate the fact that Nintendo confirmed we are going to get a Smash reveal here, because I really didn't want to go in blindly this time like I did last year, so I am very glad about this. Secondly, I am very nervous about Geno right now. I know Nintendo has never had the best presence at TGA in terms of hype-inducing reveals, but I unfortunately doubt that Geno really fits for the audience that is TGA. As such, I'm very nervous about Geno right now and I'm worried that he may not get revealed tonight.

On the flip side, something that does interest me is the fact that Nintendo told us outright that their is going to be a Smash reveal, which is almost as if Nintendo wants a lot of Smash fans to tune in, and if it is true that 7 and 8 were going to be the E3 reveals, then I say it is possible that Nintendo told us Smash fans to tune in because its possible a character that could please a vast majority of Smash fans will get revealed tonight, and I can't think of any character that could fit this other than Geno. This may be a stretch, but its definitely something that could be possible.

Either way, if Geno isn't revealed tonight, he still has a damn good chance. Never forget the mountains of evidence in his favor. I'm telling you all, Geno will be revealed eventually.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
It's finally time Genolads. This morning, as I went to do some errand, I began to think on the meaning that The Game Awards have garnered up to this moment, and what Super Smash Bros. Ultimate represents. Both are, as stated by their creators themselves, a celebration of gaming. One is an event that recognizes the outstanding achievements of video games across various genres, as well as parts of their development, while the other is what has come to be known as the Hall of Fame of video game icons, bringing together countless worlds seamlessly into one epic brawl. That thought right there reassured me that for this year's TGA, the likelihood of a Smash reveal was near certain; what better moment than when we celebrate video games? Thus, as I returned home, went onto check the Internet and open up Smashboards, the first featured article I see is that of an official confirmation that in fact there will be a Smash reveal at this year's TGA. I'm sure a few here felt that air of righteous vindication upon learning of these great news. I know I did.

Now then, who could it be? Well, being The Game Awards, there are a few points that kind of pull towards the favor of some characters whom we've heard and read about quite a number of times.
  • Crash Bandicoot = Geoff Keighley seems to be a big fan of the beloved marsupial, and Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time was officially revealed through the Summer Games Fest platform which Keighley kicked off earlier this year. In addition to that, Crash had some notable presence during TGA 2018, when Joker was revealed as CP 1, and it was no less the night before Ultimate's release. Oh and, Geoff's most recent reply to the confirmation of a Smash reveal later tonight being a humble "Whoa" does seem pretty "on the nose".
  • Doom Guy = DOOM Eternal has been nominated to quite a few categories on this night's TGA, including Game of the Year. Ever since the dual release of Animal Crossing: New Horizons, and DOOM Eternal back in March, the Isabelle x Doom Guy meme of them being best of pals picked up steam and funny enough, it's amazing how natural and accepting such a meme is. The CacoMallow leak still hasn't been disproven so that's still up in the air. Coincidentally, today is DOOM's 27th Anniversary; an odd number but an anniversary still.
  • Geno = Ok, many might think that TGA seems like an unlikely venue to reveal a character such as Geno, yet I digress. Following TGA, we got some Mario-themed tournaments going on with (a) The Mushroom event in-game tournament starting Friday and wrapping up on Sunday, and (b) the Super Mario-themed VS Challenge Cup Smash tournament on Saturday. Though, if the character is revealed today, one would expect it would become available in say... two more weeks approximately. Well, what if Nintendo/Sakurai pull off a mad-lad move and in addition to announcing the character tonight, it releases tonight as well? I know; chances of that happening are pushing it too far but hey, it could be a possibility. Now, how does Geno fit in in all this? Albeit he is considered an obscure character that only appeared in one game from the late SNES era, he is a symbol of one of the first solid collaborations in gaming history if one could say. A game created from the collaboration between Nintendo and Square Enix which ushered two other Mario RPG spinoff franchises. Though the collaboration came to a halt back then amidst the console generation transition, both companies came together again to continue creating great games. With the support Square Enix has been showing for the Nintendo Switch, it would seem that amidst Squares projects, there may be one that has been kept secret to this very day. However this is all speculation but, let us recall E3 2019. The Smash fighters revealed were Hero (a Square Enix character), and Banjo & Kazooie (a Microsoft/Rare character). Entertaining the idea that has been discussed on this thread before of Steve (a Microsoft character) having been one of two potential E3 2020 reveals, then the other could perhaps be another Square Enix character. Combining that with the upcoming tournaments, the chances seem to weigh-in on Geno's favor. Again, this is mostly speculation, but let's hope it pans out.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I sat through the Game Awards last year and hated it... but at the very least they're confirming a new reveal is coming so I know I won't be wasting my time for nothing.
I'm guessing the reveal won't be until the very end (since, if the trending section on Twitter is any indication, a lot of people are excited about it, so they're going to want people to be watching and waiting for that reveal for as long as possible), probably in the last half hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom