• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kremling Kommander

Smash Journeyman
I want to divert everyone’s attention for a second that another Smash Online Open is scheduled for late October and ends on November 1st.
I know there was another one like this that happened close to Min Min’s reveal, but has this happened any other time? I would like to think this is an indicator that we are getting #8 in November, but I’m not sure.

Mr. Peepee

Smash Journeyman
Fighter 8 a month after Steve?! Sounds too good to be true. Especially since they have spaced out fighter reveals by several months this year.
I want to divert everyone’s attention for a second that another Smash Online Open is scheduled for late October and ends on November 1st.
I know there was another one like this that happened close to Min Min’s reveal, but has this happened any other time? I would like to think this is an indicator that we are getting #8 in November, but I’m not sure.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
As far as I can tell, the one from May 30 to June 21 was the only one that's happened so far. Min Min was announced June 22 and came out June 29, so it could mean an announcement in early November. ...or it could just be a coincidence and mean nothing.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
As far as I can tell, the one from May 30 to June 21 was the only one that's happened so far. Min Min was announced June 22 and came out June 29, so it could mean an announcement in early November. ...or it could just be a coincidence and mean nothing.
Yeah, I am personally betting on the latter.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Nintendo: Oh really... 'Changes FP8's announcement from November to February.'

Mizzle

Smash Cadet
Okay, so in June, there was a North American Online Open that ended on the 21st. The next day, Min Min was revealed.

In September, there was a NintendoVS Challenge Cup on the 26th. Five days later, Steve was revealed.

Now we have a North American Online Open that ends on November 1st.

The Mario series tournament is also supposed to be sometime in November-December.

Hmmmm.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Okay, so in June, there was a North American Online Open that ended on the 21st. The next day, Min Min was revealed.

In September, there was a NintendoVS Challenge Cup on the 26th. Five days later, Steve was revealed.

The Mario series tournament is also supposed to be sometime in November-December.

Hmmmm.
Don’t get too cocky. Unless there is an announcement, and insiders do hint at Geno, remember what happened with the last announcement...?

Mr. Peepee

Smash Journeyman
HMMMMMM. I'm not keeping expectations high, but since this happened with the previous two fighters, mayyybe this could mean something?

Hmmmm.

Griselda

Smash Lord
Months of lurking since December of 2019 and I think our time is nigh... Hello, everyone! I'm a zoomer and I'm a fan of Geno. Crazy how that works, huh? I think Geno is the likeliest he's ever been in speculation and I think he can bring enough for a unique moveset. Since this game has brought many fan-favorite characters, even ones that have talked about since Melee times, it's a no-brainer that Geno should be coming at some point in this pass imo. I wanted to make this account and post after Geno got in, but I realized the traffic would be crazy. Reading this thread is like watching a TV show sometimes. Everybody has their own unique personalities and there's different turning points every so often. I hope everybody gets their wish sometime soon! Also, I do have a Geno hat version of this profile pic, but I'll save it until after the supposed reveal. I won't be very active posting on this thread, only to chime in on a conversation if I really want to. Quick question: Do y'all prefer to be called Genovians or Genobros? I just thought of Genovians in my head.
I've seen Genobros used a lot. But I use 'Star Road Crusader', since I'm not a bro. Also because ORA ORA ORA.

Last edited:

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
It absolutely it is. It's a huge part of Rare Replay and they literally used Smash to justify making merchandise for it. In addition, Sakurai directly advertised "go play it on Microsoft". It being quite active is why that even worked. Sakurai wouldn't have bothered advertising it is if Microsoft couldn't make money from his promotion of the product. If it barely existed, it'd be a waste of time to even do that as well. Unless you consider "very active" to mean "new product", then fair enough. Otherwise, yeah, it's an active IP for them. I'm not saying it's a well-used IP either, obviously. There's no doubt they could do better than just constantly using as a re-release compilation with others.

New games isn't what being very active means. It's a constantly used product, it's just poorly used in terms of getting actual new items added to it. If a product constantly is advertised and is only just a re-release? It's quite active. The franchise is dead in a sense, but dead doesn't mean inactive in the way people overall use it. They just mean "no new games". If they were using dead a lot more accurately, it should mean "has absolutely no active product in any way, shape, or form". ...Obviously nobody uses it in a more proper term, so you just go with the fanterm instead like everybody else. Language is silly like that, heh.
Yeah, that's the thing. We just disagree on the phrase "quite active." I would have not called them an active property. I have never seen Banjo-Kazooie on an Xbox billboard this gen or even advertising for next. I would consider that active. I get where you are coming from, but we just disagree on the terminology there.

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Lord
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
Yeah, that's the thing. We just disagree on the phrase "quite active." I would have not called them an active property. I have never seen Banjo-Kazooie on an Xbox billboard this gen or even advertising for next. I would consider that active. I get where you are coming from, but we just disagree on the terminology there.
I think they used their Nuts and Bolts design in some ads for Gamepass, but that was basically it and I believe it was recently removed.

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Interesting. I can't recall a time we had a reveal so close to another reveal, but I think it could happen honestly, despite any past precedencies. While I'm personally not expecting the reveal of CP8 any earlier than the Game Awards, I wouldn't put it past Nintendo and Sakurai to reveal the next character in November. With how this year has been, its very likely Nintendo's schedule in terms of Smash is f***ed up because of COVID, so its very possible that the way this DLC will be revealed and released may be all over the place, especially considering that this fighter could have been shown off at this year's E3. If the fighter is already done, then Nintendo just might as well show it off instead of waiting whenever they feel enough time has passed.

Like I said, I'm not expecting CP8 in November and I think we might get a TGA reveal, but I at least think its possible.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So here's a question that a lot of you guys might not be too happy about answering, but what if Geno doesn't make it into Ultimate? What will be the future of the Geno fanbase in Smash? I feel like with SMRPG already being 24 years old and probably around or almost 35 by the next Smash, all of the fans that grew up with SMRPG will be well be in their 40s or 50s and it will be game over for Geno unless a new generation stands up and fights for him.

Mr. Peepee

Smash Journeyman
I don't really know, the support for Geno might die down considerably if he isn't added. Ultimate is probably Geno's last shot.
So here's a question that a lot of you guys might not be too happy about answering, but what if Geno doesn't make it into Ultimate? What will be the future of the Geno fanbase in Smash? I feel like with SMRPG already being 24 years old and probably around or almost 35 by the next Smash, all of the fans that grew up with SMRPG will be well be in their 40s or 50s and it will be game over for Geno unless a new generation stands up and fights for him.

pinshadow

Smash Lord
The reason the May/June open came up in the first place was because it ran for 4 weekends starting May 30th and ending June 21st, it was assumed they wouldn't release a new update while the tournaments were still occuring, and given the ARMS rep was said to release in June that meant the update wouldn't come out until the end of the month, which is exactly what happened. Them doing a tournament in October doesn't mean anything when we have no clue when the next character is getting revealed or released.

Also, Smash Twitter posted something cool

You can actually choose what biome you go to on Steve's stage by imputing button commands! Which, while cool, JUST MAKES ME WONDER WHY THEY WON'T DO THAT FOR EVERY TRANSFORMING STAGE SAKURAI YOU BETTER DO THAT THIS UPDATE I SWEAR TO GOD

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The reason the May/June open came up in the first place was because it ran for 4 weekends starting May 30th and ending June 21st, it was assumed they wouldn't release a new update while the tournaments were still occuring, and given the ARMS rep was said to release in June that meant the update wouldn't come out until the end of the month, which is exactly what happened. Them doing a tournament in October doesn't mean anything when we have no clue when the next character is getting revealed or released.

You can actually choose what biome you go to on Steve's stage by imputing button commands! Which, while cool, JUST MAKES ME WONDER WHY THEY WON'T DO THAT FOR EVERY TRANSFORMING STAGE SAKURAI YOU BETTER DO THAT THIS UPDATE I SWEAR TO GOD
Imagine if you can do this on the Paper Mario stage. I would love to just fight on Flavio's ship.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

No joke, it's been one of my biggest wants to be able to chose an area on a transforming stage and stick to it.

Griselda

Smash Lord
If we, this generation (despite the fact that we're already super varied in terms of age) fail to get Geno in and for whatever reason are unable to continue ourselves, then we're supposed to have the next generation take up the mantle. That's how these crazy massive dream goals work. Plant a tree knowing you won't see it bear fruit and whatnot.

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
If we, this generation (despite the fact that we're already super varied in terms of age) fail to get Geno in and for whatever reason are unable to continue ourselves, then we're supposed to have the next generation take up the mantle. That's how these crazy massive dream goals work. Plant a tree knowing you won't see it bear fruit and whatnot.
Don't you mean Genoration? :)

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
I got a new rpg today. Arrived in the mail. "Octopath traveller". Can't wait to get off work and try it.
No way?! I ordered it too off eBay a couple days ago, I can’t wait to try it! I’ve had my eye on it for awhile. I kind of get SMRPG vibes from looking at it. If the rumors are true about a remake, I’d go crazy if it was in 2DHD like Octopath Traveler!

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Honestly, I think Smash Ultimate should just be ported to future systems. Their is no way in Hell any other Smash game could top Ultimate in terms of content. The only way I could see Ultimate getting topped is if they not only bring over every single character, but also every stage (Yes, even Miiverse), items, modes and mechanics from past Smash games, and then as far as newcomers go just have them all be like the top 20 or 30 fan picks from the Ballot, then that would truly be the definitive Smash game.

Last edited:

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
Makes me glad Operation Starfall got some press.
Even if we don't get Geno (I believe we will but for the sake of argument here) then pushing for him and Mallow to return in future titles is the best thing we can pass forward.

And now I feel old now and I'm only 33...

Last edited:

ctt4lfecw

Smash Ace
Makes me glad Operation Starfall got some press.
Even if we don't get Geno (I believe we will but for the sake of argument here) then pushing for him and Mallow to return in future titles is the best thing we can pass forward.

And now I feel old now and I'm only 33...
I’m 33 too, we’re not old! We got that Mii Fighter costume for Geno, so we’ve never been closer to bringing these characters back then we are now. We can only go forward, and keep him out there until our wishes come true!

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Oh man, I might have chosen the wrong character in Octopath traveller. I picked the scholar because I thought it would fit with me more than the other characters

MattX20

Smash Hero
The fact we've got another Smash tournament coming up in the next few weeks is interesting. Both of the Fighter Pass reveals/releases we've gotten for this year happened after a tournament like this, so we should keep our eyes on it for the time being

Mr. Peepee

Smash Journeyman
Wait Geno boost increases your defense? I never really used Geno boost lol.
It would be a weaker attack buff than oomph, but it could also increase defense if timed right.

If the devs wanted to get really nutty with it, they could let you give the buff to friends in a team battle.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Probably. I kind of had a moment the other day when a lot of stuff clicked for me regarding Chief (and Crash to a smaller degree).

-Bingeing Simpsons: Tree House of Horror episodes, I realized that Halo and Crash Bandicoot are referenced several times in the series. May not seem like much but it made me realize that Halo and Crash are some of the few non -Nintendo franchises that have mainstream media presence.

-Was at Spirit Halloween in my town and in the video game section. The franchises represented by costumes? Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Sonic, Pac-Man, Fortnite, Minecraft, Kingdom Hearts, and Halo and these were costumes for both kids and adults.

-Like I said back in July, the rumor is that Master Chief's trailer is supposed to be a capstone of sorts and highlight multiple big announcements. At first, I thought Chief was going to only be tied to one first party announcement but now I'm realizing it's probably two, with one of them always being planned as 2021 at the earliest. To support this, Chief was supposedly signed off to only be allowed to be depicted with certain characters and it's a very small list. With how Steve turned out, these weirdly specific rumors got a ton of backing. I don't know how the hell people got access to this kind of stuff but, then again, Microsoft kind of is terrible at keeping secrets too so...

-They say hindsight is 20/20 but Smash has basically been trying to outdue itself each year at E3 since 2013. The last Smash Ultimate E3 for God knows how long ending with Crash or Chief honestly makes sense. E3 is the Kingmaker. It's given us Bowser, Peach, Wario, Snake, Megaman, Pacman, Ryu, Ridley, Hero, Banjo, and now Steve so I honestly jumped the gun thinking Crash or Chief would be this year. Crash was literally Sony's mascot for three years and Chief is the face of Microsoft. Waiting until E3 2021 (the last E3 before Season 2 officially ends) to unveil them honestly makes sense.

It's just tiring because trying to figure out the timing for stuff is extremely difficult because you don't know how early information is. On the upside, a ton of 2018 stuff is coming to fruition in droves so by all logic Geno, Waluigi, Ryu, and Lloyd should all be approaching their respective moments of truth within 3-4 months. I say this because most of the stuff that has come true like Mario 3D World Deluxe, Pikmin 3 Deluxe, Skyward Sword HD, etc were all like November/December 2018 rumors while Minecraft in Smash was summer 2018 so we're honestly reaching a critical point for most of these evergreen Smash rumors.
In addition to the Halloween store anecdote, Target has a whole video game toy aisle. Currently the aisle has: Mario, Sonic, Pokemon, Minecraft, Fortnite & Halo.

Super Mario RPG keeps finding new fans in younger generations. I’m sure the support will remain.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
With this new tournament ending on the first of November, it could explain why the Mario 35th one was delayed potentially to December. That, and if the theory of a Smash reveal occurring after one of these tournaments concludes, chances are it'll just be FP8 for this year and that either after this one or the Mario 35th tournament is when the reveal, and most likely when the fighter will release will take place

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Active means using the IP. Advertising isn't the only case here. Fair enough on "very active", but they blatantly are using the character via Rare Replay. Everything in there is an active product in terms of business and trademarking. Hell, stuff like VC would mean an IP is active.

It doesn't mean it's being used in a way people like, or would count for "relevancy"(though the issue with the term relevancy is that there's a difference between a character and their franchise. Castlevania is a relevant franchise, but Simon nor Richter would be. For just an easy example).

Nonetheless, the IP is clearly in use. They don't need to advertise every single part of Rare Replay. We know it's there, a currently active product. In this case, everything in Rare Replay is active by proxy. I agree "very active" is not too accurate, especially as you have a good point about the advertisement. But let's be real; advertisements is not the rule of "activity" for an IP. That's just a bonus, and doesn't tell us whether an IP is actually in use or not(which is actually what being active would mean in context).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom