• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elmorethemagician

Smash Journeyman
if Geno becomes playable i hope in his pass that onion games get involved in it too since some of them are the developer of SMRPG so we can also get the main character from Moon remix RPG adventure (1997) as a mii costume his game was recently released on the switch and was localized that game even had their own version of Geno and Smithy
OMG YES!
I would freaking love if this got represented in Smash somehow..

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
Any clue on Level-5 showing up? Maybe with Layton?

Also, we have room for 7 stages before the selection screen makes a perfect rectangle. 8 characters, 7 stages. Will we get one of those bonuses where a stage isn’t exactly needed, as his series is already in Smash? For example, Waluigi. Maybe nice food for thought.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Any clue on Level-5 showing up? Maybe with Layton?

Also, we have room for 7 stages before the selection screen makes a perfect rectangle. 8 characters, 7 stages. Will we get one of those bonuses where a stage isn’t exactly needed, as his series is already in Smash? For example, Waluigi. Maybe nice food for thought.
I wouldn't put much stock into the idea that we're going to end up with a perfect rectangle. Seemingly every time someone bases a theory on that (aside from the Box Theory, where there's a set amount of space), they wind up disappointed. Case in point:

Noipoi

Howdy!
I wouldn't put much stock into the idea that we're going to end up with a perfect rectangle. Seemingly every time someone bases a theory on that (aside from the Box Theory, where there's a set amount of space), they wind up disappointed. Case in point:

Good lord, Look at that roster.

That’s a baby roster.

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
Yeah, and he also had his own game. Don't remember which one came first though.

I believe the Eggerland/Lolo series came before Kirby when HAL was a more independent company. I remember reading somewhere that HAL owns the character outright rather than coowned with Nintendo.

Lolo didn't even have a spirit.

Anyhow, suppose a scenario where after CP11, there was still no Geno and no Geno costume either. However, Samurai then says he has one final surprise. Geno is revealed as Fighter #82. It's basically the Corrin situation. He's listed with the other Mario characters and he comes with Beware the Forest's Mushrooms and maybe one of the battle themes.

Firox

Smash Master

(Sir Alec Guinness voice) "Now that is a roster I haven't seen in a long time.....a long time..."

Last edited:

helloiamhere

Smash Journeyman
I actually think that the remaining Mii fighters give us a big clue. With 4 left, I can't see why they wouldn't add them all, barring a catastrophe (and why would there be, with Mii costumes of all things lmao).

Just for reference, they are Geno, Chocobo hat, Lloyd, and Monster Hunter. Logic would tell me that MH is the most likely, but I think it's certain that theres gonna be a Square Enix rep this pass, with them taking 2/4 spots. Whether thats good news or bad news for Geno, idk.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So, today in Geno news:

-Geno survived yet another Mii Costume pack.

-Geno and Lloyd are now """"""""""""""""""coincidentally"""""""""""""""" the only two major Mii costumes that are missing, especially notable since Sakurai spoke highly about both of them in 2016.

-Hero's pack is the only one of the current 7 that didn't have any Smash 4 costumes. It's also the only one that had less than 5. I wonder why that is? Could it be there are two missing Square Enix costumes? WhoOoOoOoOoO knows?

Replace Big Chungus with Geno and that's basically our current situation going forward.

Genoxys

Smash Rookie
Speculation time.

Wave 1: Returning Knuckles and Tails costumes. (RIP)
Wave 2: All new Dragon Quest costumes (Last time Sakurai partnered with Square he made sure to get Chocobo and Geno. Why not this time...Unless another Square character is planned. No returning costumes.
Wave 3: Returning Zero and Protoman (RIP)
Wave 4: No major returning costumes
Wave 5: Returning MegaMan X (RIP)
Wave 6: No major returning costumes
Wave 7: Returning Gil
In the future:
Wave 8: No major returning costumes
Wave 9: Chocobo accompanies either Geno or Sora?
Wave 10: No major returning costumes
Wave 11: Monster Hunter costume accompanies a Capcom rep, like Dante.
The only character costumes from Smash 4 we haven't had confirmed as playable or deconfirmed are Geno, Lloyd, Monster Hunter, and Chocobo. Every other wave they return some costumes. If this pattern continues, we can expect no returning costume in Wave 8. Therefore, the other Square character that brings Chocobo costume might be Wave 9 or Wave 11. If Geno is here, I think he will be Fighter pass #9.

Last edited:

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
Exactly 9.7 inches away from your current location
So, today in Geno news:

-Geno and Lloyd are now """"""""""""""""""coincidentally"""""""""""""""" the only two major Mii costumes that are missing, especially notable since Sakurai spoke highly about both of them in 2016.

-Hero's pack is the only one of the current 7 that didn't have any Smash 4 costumes. It's also the only one that had less than 5. I wonder why that is? Could it be there are two missing Square Enix costumes? WhoOoOoOoOoO knows?

Replace Big Chungus with Geno and that's basically our current situation going forward.

I remember the interview where Sakurai spoke highly about Geno, but I can't find the one about Lloyd. Anyone got a link?

Also that chungus was too damn big for my phone's speaker to comprehend.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I remember the interview where Sakurai spoke highly about Geno, but I can't find the one about Lloyd. Anyone got a link?

Also that chungus was too damn big for my phone's speaker to comprehend.
Here's a link: https://sourcegaming.info/2016/02/21/nintendodream3/

The Tales series has 20 years of history, how did you decide on Lloyd for the costume?

Sakurai: I’m not sure if there was any other appropriate choice?

For example, how about the protagonist of the first game, Cress? [TN: From Tales of Phantasia]

Sakurai: I really think it has to be Lloyd here (laughs). I could have gone down the route of choosing from the first entry in the series, but for old games it’s somewhat common for the editorial supervision from the original creator to make the process difficult.
It's in the same interview where he talks about wanting Geno to be playable, along with his popularity.

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace

Shado-will

Smash Journeyman
So, today in Geno news:

If Geno and Lloyd both got in, I would probably die. I played through Tales of Symphonia a few months ago and I loved every second of it. It's definitely risen to my top 10 favorite video games. Maybe even my top 5, which SMRPG is also in.

Super10ZX

Smash Journeyman

RichieGonzo

Smash Rookie
Hey all! I have no idea if this has been found out already but I've made a very interesting discovery:

This is a collection of some music tracks composed by Yoko Shimomura, remixed back in 2017. Among these were "Beware the Forest Mushrooms" and "Goodbye Geno"

Idk when it happened but both individual uploads of those two SMRPG have been completely removed. Could this mean anything?

EDIT: Star Road discord is going ape**** LMAO

Last edited:

QQS

Smash Lord
So now the thing goes something like this for me: (on the four remaining DLC)

Spot 1 and 2: Geno and Crash 100% confirmed

Spot 3: Lloyd 90% confirmed

Spot 4: Between (in order of most likely for me)
Dante
Hayabusa
Rayman
Zelda Rep (Champion: Daruk or Mipha)
Pokemon (Urshifu or Rillaboom)

Let Geno Smash

Smash Ace
Speculation time.

Wave 1: Returning Knuckles and Tails costumes. (RIP)
Wave 2: All new Dragon Quest costumes (Last time Sakurai partnered with Square he made sure to get Chocobo and Geno. Why not this time...Unless another Square character is planned. No returning costumes.
Wave 3: Returning Zero and Protoman (RIP)
Wave 4: No major returning costumes
Wave 5: Returning MegaMan X (RIP)
Wave 6: No major returning costumes
Wave 7: Returning Gil
In the future:
Wave 8: No major returning costumes
Wave 9: Chocobo accompanies either Geno or Sora?
Wave 10: No major returning costumes
Wave 11: Monster Hunter costume accompanies a Capcom rep, like Dante.
The only character costumes from Smash 4 we haven't had confirmed as playable or deconfirmed are Geno, Lloyd, Monster Hunter, and Chocobo. Every other wave they return some costumes. If this pattern continues, we can expect no returning costume in Wave 8. Therefore, the other Square character that brings Chocobo costume might be Wave 9 or Wave 11. If Geno is here, I think he will be Fighter pass #9.
I want to point that Akira and Jacky returned with Terry and Heihachi with Min-Min

Super10ZX

Smash Journeyman
Hey all! I have no idea if this has been found out already but I've made a very interesting discovery:

This is a collection of some music tracks composed by Yoko Shimomura, remixed back in 2017. Among these were "Beware the Forest Mushrooms" and "Goodbye Geno"

Idk when it happened but both individual uploads of those two SMRPG have been completely removed. Could this mean anything?

EDIT: Star Road discord is going ape**** LMAO
Welp if they’re losing it, unfortunately I gotta step in with the bad news.

I discussed this all the way back in June, thinking it hadn’t been talked about, and included links to both videos. The answer is no, the person with the individual uploads just closed their account.

Edit: Incorrect info, keep reading just below this post.

Last edited:

RichieGonzo

Smash Rookie
Last edited:

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Welp if they’re losing it, unfortunately I gotta step in with the bad news.

I discussed this all the way back in June, thinking it hadn’t been talked about, and included links to both videos. The answer is no, the person with the individual uploads just closed their account.
1601768763203.png

They didn't close their account, they were banned for copyright infringement.

Super10ZX

Smash Journeyman
View attachment 288251
Oh. I was just going off how the single videos said the account was closed rather than terminated. My bad on this one.

But unlike the BrawlBRST situation, I’m not gonna say this means anything yet, as there doesn’t seem to be prove that Nintendo took down the songs. That whole channel had the entire album on it, so it’s possible maybe Square-Enix instead were the ones who filed the claims. And assuming the channel was 100% clean with no previous copyright strikes, 2 strikes normally doesn’t get a channel taken down, and there were only 2 Mario RPG songs.

Basically, until there’s prove Nintendo filed strikes on the channel, let’s not jump on this meaning anything just yet.

RichieGonzo

Smash Rookie
Oh. I was just going off how the single videos said the account was closed rather than terminated. My bad on this one.

But unlike the BrawlBRST situation, I’m not gonna say this means anything yet, as there doesn’t seem to be prove that Nintendo took down the songs. That whole channel had the entire album on it, so it’s possible maybe Square-Enix instead were the ones who filed the claims. And assuming the channel was 100% clean with no previous copyright strikes, 2 strikes normally doesn’t get a channel taken down, and there were only 2 Mario RPG songs.

Basically, until there’s prove Nintendo filed strikes on the channel, let’s not jump on this meaning anything just yet.
Agreed. I'll be keeping my eye on this.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Okay let's try and make this a bit clearer
The account that uploaded the individual tracks of the Memória! album was called Neoterric:
1601768974339.png

A look at Google's caches show this account uploaded music from a lot of Square Enix games, in particular the stuff composed by Yoko Shimomura
1601769233523.png

You can see playlists that include videos they uploaded. It's got Kingdom Hearts and SMRPG.
The URL for this channel is right here if anyone can get the WayBack Machine working with it to see what else was on it.

So there's a few things we know:
  • This is the only channel to upload the individual SMRPG songs from Memória!
  • Other channels have gotten away with uploading the Kingdom Hearts songs as seen here
  • Square Enix owns the rights to the Memória! album
  • SMRPG songs have been taken down by Nintendo specifically in the past
I'm not sure where Square Enix stands on KH music being uploaded, but the fact that the entire album is still up on the Tonal Revelations channel (not to mention the dozens of Kingdom Hearts music channels that operate fine) leads me to believe that SE was not responsible for the copyright strikes that got the Neoterric account terminated. Remember, after 3 copyright strikes your channel is automatically banned. If they had any strikes at all for whatever reason, getting two at once from Nintendo would have instantly closed the account.

I hope that shines a light on what happened.

Peepo T. Skeleton

Smash Ace
I think the only characters that Sakurai has explicitly said "I wanted them in the game" that aren't already a fighter are Geno and Rex.
Yeah, Rex is in a really weird position. There wasn't enough time for him in base game, they apparently wanted Byleth more in the first pass so they costumed Rex, but now ARMS, another series that got dropped from the base game has a character in the second pass. I really don't know what plans they have for Rex at this point.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Something to think about, if Min Min hadn't been delayed (and COVID), Season 2 would have been very similar to Smash 4 and the Fighter's Pass:

Smash 4

April: Mewtwo

June: Lucas, Roy, Ryu

December: Cloud

February: Corrin, Bayo

Fighter's Pass

February: Plant

April: Joker

July: Hero (delayed)

September: Banjo

November: Terry

January: Byleth

We know Min Min was supposed to release in April and Steve and 8 were supposed to be E3 announcements so we can map things out this way:

April: Min Min

June/July: Steve

September: 8 (Fall 2019 Direct was on Sept 4th, Mario 2020 Direct on Sept 3rd...Hmmmm.)

November: 9

January/February: 10

April: 11

Things have been jumbled but if everything had been "normal", this suggests Season 2's last character would have been released in April.

QQS

Smash Lord
Christmas is over and we’re left on a shot of the stars. We hear GENO AWAKENS slowly fade in as a star drops to earth. We see the star fly through many different locations from MarioRPG, until it finds the Geno doll. The doll gets up slowly as we see a glimmering Smash ball in his eyes...

6CEE1848-79E4-4BA1-9415-6D0DEB486469.jpeg

Credits to photo artist.

Note: I got SMRPG as a Christmas gift from my father back in 1996 or 1997 with 6 or 7 years old. Now I’m 30.

Mizzle

Smash Cadet
Yeah, Rex is in a really weird position. There wasn't enough time for him in base game, they apparently wanted Byleth more in the first pass so they costumed Rex, but now ARMS, another series that got dropped from the base game has a character in the second pass. I really don't know what plans they have for Rex at this point.
It's evident that Sakurai has more sway in the character choices than he lets on. Sure, characters like Byleth and Steve were requests from Nintendo, but do you really think that they asked Sakurai to put characters like Joker and Terry in? I think Rex could very well be a "Sakurai Pick" in FP2. I may be a bit biased though, as Rex & Pyra are one of my most wanteds.

D

Deleted member

Whether Geno makes sense in a business perspective or not, Nintendo and Square should know the SMRPG was a significant part of their history.

- Mario RPG is the gateway of the RPG genre in the Mario franchise. Paper Mario was even originally SMRPG 2.

- It was the game the defined the relationship between Nintendo and Square being the first collaboration project of the two companies.

- Square was not really popular in the West. That was the reason Nintendo and Square made an RPG featuring Mario. So the game was one of the earliest games that made Square’s RPGs famous alongside Chrono Trigger and FF7.

Last edited by a moderator:

evanwoo10

Smash Lord
I’m probably not the only one to think about this. Looking back on it, Geno makes more sense for Challenger Pack 8, instead of 7. All the fighters are technically a star in their own games. The seven challengers have colors kinda matching the seven stars. In Super Mario RPG, it’s up to Geno and the crew to collect all 7 star pieces to fix the star road. Geno is a Star Warrior, not one of the seven stars.

Also, Steve might have been planned for an E3 reveal. Maybe, Geno was planned to be revealed or released around the end of the year or earlier. Maybe in time or around the time of that Mario tournament.

It might just be wishful thinking, but we can’t give up hope!

Last edited:

I_DON'T_KNOW_YOU!

Smash Journeyman
Whether Geno makes sense in a business perspective or not, Nintendo and Square should know the SMRPG was a significant part of their history.

- Mario RPG is the gateway of the RPG genre in the Mario franchise. Paper Mario was even originally SMRPG 2.

- It was the game the defined the relationship between Nintendo and Square being the first collaboration project of the two companies.

- Square was not really popular in the West. That was the reason Nintendo and Square made an RPG featuring Mario. So the game was one of the earliest games that made Square’s RPGs famous alongside Chrono Trigger and FF7.
I would argue that Rad Racer is the first collaboration project between Square and Nintendo-

radracernes.jpg

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Hmm, so we've only got the following Mii Costumes M.I.A. huh?
  • Lloyd (hair and suit)
  • Hunter (helm and armor)
  • Rathalos gear (helm and armor)
  • Geno (hat and costume)
  • Chocobo Hat
Hmm... What if we get the following outcome?
  • CP 8 (or 9) = Lloyd Irving; could come along with the Mii Costume. Tales of 25th Anniversary is on December 15th, 2020; could be a good date for announcement. Then again, IP anniversaries haven't coincided with Smash reveals in the past.
  • CP 9 (or 8) = Geno; could also come along with the Mii Costume, and of course the Chocobo Hat, Smithy set, AND most importantly the Mallow Mii Hat. SMRPG's 25th Anniversary is on March of 2021; again, could be a good month to coincide with his reveal but again, "anniversaries, yada yada". IF an identical looking Mallow Mii Hat like the one on the CacoMallow leak happens to appear in the Mii Costume Wave, this would then sort of confirm the existence of the Cacodemon Mii Hat, which could lead to...
  • CP 10 = Doom Slayer; following from the potential inclusion of a Mallow Mii Hat identical to the one in the CacoMallow leak were to appear in a Geno CP 8 (or 9) coinciding Mii Costume wave, then the Slayer's chances would approach "lock" levels. Also, news on DOOM Eternal's Switch version's release date are still M.I.A. Recalling the rumors of a "revamped" Nintendo Switch in the works for quite some time, there could be the possibility that the game may have been held a bit to perform better in said upgraded Switch. Purely speculation though.
  • CP 11 = Dante; we got the first three DMC games on Switch quite a few months ago. The series Director (Hideaki Itsuno) had previously stated on an interview when asked if he wanted (or thought) to see Dante join Smash, that first DMC games should be on Nintendo consoles. Also, Hideki Kamiya wants to see Dante in Smash. And in Dante's accompanying Mii Costume wave, the Hunter and Rathalos Mii Costume sets would fit perfectly. Both costumes could even be considered as the manifestations of what Dante is. Dante is a "devil hunter" (albeit being a half demon himself) and the Rathalos and Hunter sets pretty much are the "devil" and "hunter" parts of the job title [I know dragons and demons are not the same thing, but in some ancient folklores dragons were thought to be (or described as) a type of demon]. Also the Rathalos set has a Dante Devil Trigger kinda vibe to it.
Oh wait... but following this line of thought... there'd be no Crash. NO! This cannot be! Hmm... Considering that Bethesda and Id Software are now both property of Microsoft, and we just got Steve announced as CP 7, there could also be the (unfortunate) possibility of Crash making it in at the expense of any of the aforementioned characters. Why can't we just have them all? :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom