• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
Just curious, when was the last time you guys were really hyped for a character? For me it was probably Banjo. What a coincidence that another Microsoft character made me really hyped for Smash again. Thanks Phil!
Banjo was a hype pick for me sure. But i actually had no attachement to Banjo outside of him beign a really cool addition. (still see him as my favorite DLC character though)

The last Super Mega Exciting reveal for me was Simon Belmont, my was wanted Smash character since i was 14. He was perfect. Classic Design, no Ayami design in sight, extremely faithful moveset with Super Castlevania 4 directional whipping, ****ING CRAWLING. The only really bad thing i have to say about him is that im probably the only person on planet earth whose favorite character is Simon, and that his theme song (Theme of Simon Belmont) didn't get a ****ing remix yet Richter did. K.Rool is a VERY close second.

I don't think there's a character that will ever rival the attachment that i had to Simon anyway, so im okay with him beign the highlight of the entire Newcomer line up.

D

Deleted member

I will not be listened to on this front but I would like to take a moment to caution everyone on paying attention to or digging up the musings of Vergeben or Hitagi. Both were wrong numerous times during their stint and both were so obviously disgraced that they vanished from the public eye. It's the perfect month for spooky shenanigans, but I think dead leakers should remain in their grave.

Minecraft could have been in "negotiations" for Smash Bros since Notch stole the infiniminer code and started making it, doesn't make these guys right just because Steve Minecrafttale made it into Smash two full years after Vergeben or Hitagi were saying they were likely. Recall that Verge couldn't even nail down what Minecraft content was coming to Smash, fighter, stage, or even a boss or assist trophy. He was making **** up as he went.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I will not be listened to on this front but I would like to take a moment to caution everyone on paying attention to or digging up the musings of Vergeben or Hitagi. Both were wrong numerous times during their stint and both were so obviously disgraced that they vanished from the public eye. It's the perfect month for spooky shenanigans, but I think dead leakers should remain in their grave.

Minecraft could have been in "negotiations" for Smash Bros since Notch stole the infiniminer code and started making it, doesn't make these guys right just because Steve Minecrafttale made it into Smash two full years after Vergeben or Hitagi were saying they were likely. Recall that Verge couldn't even nail down what Minecraft content was coming to Smash, fighter, stage, or even a boss or assist trophy. He was making **** up as he went.
I stopped paying attention to the two over a year ago

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion

Man I'm glad steve is getting into smash AFTER notch is gone

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Yeah he looked thrilled
View attachment 287900
He said it took a lot of work. I don't see how that face means he hates that he has to be there to discuss Steve. He directs the trailers and stuff, y'know, and with the nods to different things in the game he put and the silly stuff and expressive body movement from Steve (the silly parts with crouching and eating and the cool final smash), I really don't think he hates the inclusion when he decided to do it in the first place. He clearly cared.

I guess it doesn't matter too much though. If he dislikes it despite loving Minecraft then it's fine. But it's not like him disliking it is a big fantastical deal that's somehow cool.

Last edited:

TheShiningAbsol

Smash Journeyman
Yeah he looked thrilled
View attachment 287900
Did you miss the screenshots of his crazy-detailed Survival world that he’s going to be showing off on Saturday? He’s literally a fan of Minecraft, he’s talked about it before. Just because he wasn’t grinning from ear to ear doesn’t mean Nintendo was forcing him to do this. Especially when he talked about how much work it was right after saying he could say no to a character if he thought it wouldn't work.

Last edited:

PatPrime

Smash Journeyman
We're not done with Nintendo news today. Mario Kart Live Home Circuit got a detailed trailer and I'm surprised how much effort was put into this. Still anxious to see if we'll get a proper Mario Kart 9 on Switch anytime soon, though.

MashedPotatoUltimate

Smash Apprentice
Basically what we gotta look out for is if Cacodemon is a Mii costume in this upcoming presentation, if it isn’t there it won’t confirm or deny anything

but if it is there, it all be certain that mallow will be a Mii costume as well which could align with another fighter.. 🤔

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Honestly he might just be tired of, you know, fixing about 300 stages for one character lol. The man needs a break after this pass seriously

This 100%

Last edited:

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
People are quick to point out how 'tired' and lifeless Sakurai came off when it came to Minecraft, and took his cheeky commentary towards his higher-ups at face value saying they put a gun to his head and forced him to go along with this whole thing, and it's like, if you kept watching, you'd see all the crazy wacky stuff that he put together himself in his own time playing Minecraft - a game that he has gone on record stating that he enjoys very much.

What you see is a man that is, yes, undoubtedly tired, but not because he was forced to do something he didn't want (because he literally just said beforehand that if he doesn't want to work with the character, he can refuse), but more likely because he not only had to cooperate with his team to rework a gigantic portion of the game to make sure that the character worked, and was balanced accordingly, but incidentally, he's still recording these things from his home, which tells me that he's still doing most of this heavy-lifting out of the house, remotely, and after about 6-7 active months of having to work under this kind of stress and pressure, I'd be shocked if he wasn't exhausted and struggling to act more energetic than usual.

I understand that Steve isn't everybody's first pick, but it's pretty grating to see that so many people can't put together pieces of the puzzle using context clues to understand what's actually going on in a given scene, and how far some will go to justify a character as 'a terrible pick' because 'look, even the director hates it, look at that grimace!"

That's not even really directed towards anyone here, but social media is a dumpster fire, and you sure do see a lot of things on days like these, I'ma tell you what.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
So it seems things have calmed down around here, and I'm kinda glad it's happened so fast. For reference, I actually laughed at Steve's reveal and I must say I'm oddly hyped about it all.

First off, it wasn't some other Square character like 2B or Crono so I'd say we are doing pretty good.

Secondly, it wasn't a no-name character, not in the slightest, so it's not like we have a repeat of Corrin, Byleth or ARMS rep.

Thirdly, Steve is kinda a big deal guys. This is definitely E3 worthy and frankly I wouldn't be surprised if Geno was meant to reveal after him at E3 originally.

Fourthly, I think this sets a precedent that Nintendo is just kinda sneaking in at least one character to represent a new IP so that they can capitalize on it to maximum sales. I highly doubt there will be any more first party characters in this pass when you consider that the pass needs reasons for people to buy it and Steve just did that for a lot of people, but of course that could be subject to change.

Lastly, there is information that Chief isn't really leakbait, which considering that Steve wasn't really leakbait I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if Chief is also on his way.

"But Forsaken!" I hear the pessimists rallying in the distance, "There is no way that a company can get more than one character per Fighter's Pass, so there is no way Chief is happening because Vol 2 the last we will ever get for Ultimate!"

Well first off, this is just a silly fan rule, and we ALL KNOW what has happened to silly fan rules all through Ultimate. In fact, Ultimate is just a wild ****ing ride in which everything we try to make sense of gets blown the **** back and we are just left standing around like 'woah...what just happened?' Of course, if Nintendo and Sakurai willed it, any company could have more than one character in a single pass, ESPECIALLY if that company is Nintendo themselves.

More importantly, this leads into something I've been wanting to talk about on this thread since July, which is the probability of a Fighter's Pass Vol 3. You may find some whisperings about it either now or in the very near future from persons you may find more credible or worth believing in, but remember that it was I with aid of the Brotherhood of Shadow who argued for the evidence of a second pass in July of last year and everyone doubted me then too. I'm just setting the record straight here that in my private circles there has been talk about bonus characters for months on end but I was one of the first I could see in speculation that had the facts and the gall to talk about a third pass.

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I'm talking about a third pass already existing or being greenlit for Smash Ultimate just after we got the second character of six from the second pass. You can think however you wish, but I have my reasons and I've done my fair share of digging. When I was talking about working on a meme video, specifically when I told @Serenade01 that this video would now make him the butt of a joke in it because of his illogical Smash argument he made at that time, I was referring to a video that made mention of a third pass. I will still be working on said video but I will hold onto it and release it when the third pass is confirmed.

If anyone cares to hear my reasons on why I think a third pass is coming, feel free to let me know via quotes or the like and I'll get right into working on a post covering the details.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
So it seems things have calmed down around here, and I'm kinda glad it's happened so fast. For reference, I actually laughed at Steve's reveal and I must say I'm oddly hyped about it all.

First off, it wasn't some other Square character like 2B or Crono so I'd say we are doing pretty good.

Secondly, it wasn't a no-name character, not in the slightest, so it's not like we have a repeat of Corrin, Byleth or ARMS rep.

Thirdly, Steve is kinda a big deal guys. This is definitely E3 worthy and frankly I wouldn't be surprised if Geno was meant to reveal after him at E3 originally.

Fourthly, I think this sets a precedent that Nintendo is just kinda sneaking in at least one character to represent a new IP so that they can capitalize on it to maximum sales. I highly doubt there will be any more first party characters in this pass when you consider that the pass needs reasons for people to buy it and Steve just did that for a lot of people, but of course that could be subject to change.

Lastly, there is information that Chief isn't really leakbait, which considering that Steve wasn't really leakbait I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if Chief is also on his way.

"But Forsaken!" I hear the pessimists rallying in the distance, "There is no way that a company can get more than one character per Fighter's Pass, so there is no way Chief is happening because Vol 2 the last we will ever get for Ultimate!"

Well first off, this is just a silly fan rule, and we ALL KNOW what has happened to silly fan rules all through Ultimate. In fact, Ultimate is just a wild *ing ride in which everything we try to make sense of gets blown the * back and we are just left standing around like 'woah...what just happened?' Of course, if Nintendo and Sakurai willed it, any company could have more than one character in a single pass, ESPECIALLY if that company is Nintendo themselves.

More importantly, this leads into something I've been wanting to talk about on this thread since July, which is the probability of a Fighter's Pass Vol 3. You may find some whisperings about it either now or in the very near future from persons you may find more credible or worth believing in, but remember that it was I with aid of the Brotherhood of Shadow who argued for the evidence of a second pass in July of last year and everyone doubted me then too. I'm just setting the record straight here that in my private circles there has been talk about bonus characters for months on end but I was one of the first I could see in speculation that had the facts and the gall to talk about a third pass.

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I'm talking about a third pass already existing or being greenlit for Smash Ultimate just after we got the second character of six from the second pass. You can think however you wish, but I have my reasons and I've done my fair share of digging. When I was talking about working on a meme video, specifically when I told @Serenade01 that this video would now make him the butt of a joke in it because of his illogical Smash argument he made at that time, I was referring to a video that made mention of a third pass. I will still be working on said video but I will hold onto it and release it when the third pass is confirmed.

If anyone cares to hear my reasons on why I think a third pass is coming, feel free to let me know via quotes or the like and I'll get right into working on a post covering the details.
You have my attention

MattX20

Smash Hero
So here's something, former Mojang Production Director and co-founder Daniel Kaplan (who left Mojang in mid-2017) says discussions for Minecraft in Smash started ATLEAST 5 YEARS AGO.

Which is uh, wow.
DAMN, 5 years!? That's a long time for just one character

a random user

Smash Journeyman
So here's something, former Mojang Production Director and co-founder Daniel Kaplan (who left Mojang in mid-2017) says discussions for Minecraft in Smash started ATLEAST 5 YEARS AGO.

Which is uh, wow.
5 years would date it back to the fighter ballot, i find it HIGHLY likely that steve got a ton of requests from the younger demographic during this time period, making steve one of the "ballot winners"

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman
My eyes right now are mostly on the lineup of costumes for Steve - if even a single one ends up being the Cacodaemon costume, and it matches the leak from last year, that'll be an instant eye-opener for me.

That said, I don't really think we're going to see it just yet. I have a feeling other costumes are going to show up. (I wonder if that rumored Deltarune outfit is going to appear..?)

With regards to a Pass 3, I actually don't know if it's really even feasibly in the cards at this point. I wasn't sure about it already when Pass 2 managed to be confirmed against all odds, but I'm even less sure about it now after what a rough and tumble year 2020 has been, and the effect at large that it has had on productivity around the world.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
5 years would date it back to the fighter ballot, i find it HIGHLY likely that steve got a ton of requests from the younger demographic during this time period, making steve one of the "ballot winners"
Honestly the fact that sakurai made notice of being the most selling game ever… makes me feel steve coming had nothing to do with fan demand (specially since steve wasn't really up there in any fan poll back then, definitely not the dojo poll which was the most accurate to look at). But maybe that's just me.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Honestly the fact that sakurai made notice of being the most selling game ever… makes me feel steve coming had nothing to do with fan demand (specially since steve wasn't really up there in any fan poll back then, definitely not the dojo poll which was the most accurate to look at). But maybe that's just me.
I think the Smash ballot did factor into it somewhat. Remember, even back then, Steve did have a significant amount of fan support. I can't think he's entirely just a corporate pick

a random user

Smash Journeyman
its worth noting the age group of the people voting in these polls, most of the people who hang out in online smash discussion tend to be late teens and up, minecraft (at the time) was popular with most of the "diehard" fans being around 10, most of witch wouldn't be following fan polls and the like, thus not voting on them, leaving their voting size/ who they are voting for unknown

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion

Well first off, this is just a silly fan rule, and we ALL KNOW what has happened to silly fan rules all through Ultimate. In fact, Ultimate is just a wild *ing ride in which everything we try to make sense of gets blown the * back and we are just left standing around like 'woah...what just happened?' Of course, if Nintendo and Sakurai willed it, any company could have more than one character in a single pass, ESPECIALLY if that company is Nintendo themselves.

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I'm talking about a third pass already existing or being greenlit for Smash Ultimate just after we got the second character of six from the second pass. You can think however you wish, but I have my reasons and I've done my fair share of digging. When I was talking about working on a meme video, specifically when I told @Serenade01 that this video would now make him the bulutt of a joke in it because of his illogical Smash argument he made at that time, I was referring to a video that made mention of a third pass. I will still be working on said video but I will hold onto it and release it when the third pass is confirmed.

I really wish I could feel confident in a pass three but for once I wanna practice hyping responsibly lol.

grizby2

Smash Lord
Even if you don't like Steve, you can't ignore that he was a popular requested character. Steve's inclusion shows Nintendo is listening to the fans.
oh of course i dont deny that he's popular. i just hate him. like i said, at LEAST he's popular and well known with many people (as well as minecraft itself). im just letting out all my salt so i can heal. you understand. :)

Mr. Peepee

Smash Journeyman

I really wanna know what you think about a Fighters Pass 3!

Last edited:

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace

I'm thinking you're right. There will still be 4 character slots left in the game's data after this pass, and three more stages could fit on the stage select screen. If say, someone like Waluigi was one of those bonus 4, he wouldn't really need to come with a stage of his own.

Last edited:

Enigma735

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0889-8796-1569
Just curious, when was the last time you guys were really hyped for a character? For me it was probably Banjo. What a coincidence that another Microsoft character made me really hyped for Smash again. Thanks Phil!
Banjo without a shadow of a doubt, considering he was one of my most wanted characters and I am a huge fan of the Banjo-Kazooie games.

Terry was cool, but I had no history with SNK and all in all it was just a very "eh" choice for me, but I am at least more accepting of his inclusion since Sakurai clearly loves KOF and SNK, and it didn't feel like he was forced to add Terry. He seemed like a very "Sakurai" pick and I love it when Sakurai gets to have characters he wants.

Byleth in all honesty had me a bit salty. You have four huge incredible third-party characters in a row, but the one first-party character we get is just a shill to promote a game from a franchise that has already been criticized for being overrepresented, and to me it really seemed like Sakurai was forced to add Byleth just to promote Three Houses. At least Byleth uses other weapons aside from just a sword, but still.

Min Min was eh. ARMS was kinda predictable in the sense that it was a brand new IP from Nintendo, so obviously it had to happen eventually. ARMS was too new at the time of base game, so it only made sense to add it as DLC, but it wasn't hype at all because of how predictable it was. I was extremely hyped to know that Min Min broke the Spirit rule, but I personally feel some other Spirit promotion like Geno, obviously, or Rayman would have been far more hype to start out Spirit promotions.

And then we get Steve. I'm not too salty because I already got my most wanted Microsoft rep with Banjo, but after how long we have speculated for Geno to be CP7, all for it to be Minecraft Steve, of all characters, kinda felt like a mini slap to the face. I do have to admit, Steve looks cool, but like ARMS, it was kinda expected to get some representation, so I wasn't overjoyed to see Steve join the roster. [Also, I have tried out Minecraft in the past and I personally thought it was boring tbh].

So yeah, the last character that genuinely had me scream to the top of my lungs was Banjo. I seriously hope Volume 2 offers more exciting picks in the near future, because I don't think this Pass is off to a great start with all these "safe" picks.

LapidotShipper4Life

Smash Cadet

I would always imagine more characters happening around or after Fighters Pass 2 as Bonus Fighters, but I more think about it being as an actual Fighters Pass 3! I’m really curious to hear what you think as well!

Raspberry

Smash Journeyman
I'm thinking you're right. There will still be 4 character slots left in the game's data after this pass, and three more stages could fit on the stage select screen. If say, someone like Waluigi was one of those bonus 4, he wouldn't really need to come with a stage of his own.
I can't even imagine which stage would fit Waluigi. With that being said, I think the stage selection screen is long overdue for improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom