• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Sabi seems to have not commented on anything Dark souls related but even if she has the general consensus is it's Lloyd or Heihachi. I thought dark souls was one of the least likely. And if a Sony rep were to happen I used to think Sackboy would be it as a Sony mascot but the more I think about it the more Kratos makes sense. Kratos doesn't have an uncertain future unlike Sackboy, is frequently used in crossovers if there is one, is one of their most popular characters and series and is just more well known than Sackboy. All over forums if someone asks a question of who is the Sony rep the general consensus is that it's Kratos. Kat is the popular pick but it'd probably be Kratos and now that I think about it when is PapaGenos gonna next upload lol
Lloyd or Heihachi would be the frontrunners if we weren’t talking about the final slot of a pass that:

-has had two JRPG reps already
-just had a fighting game character
-has had each new fighter technically be from companies new to Smash, counting Atlus and Enix separately
-would most likely have the final fighter be revealed at a big American-centric event

They’d make a good amount of sense for post-pass, but as #5? Either of them would be an underwhelming way to end off the pass. As seen from... well, being in this thread, I’m in full agreement with the “moveset matters over relevancy” argument, but at the same time I’d personally hope that people that aren’t into JRPGs or more traditional fighting games at least get something else out of this pass besides Banjo.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
Lloyd or Heihachi would be the frontrunners if we weren’t talking about the final slot of a pass that:

-has had each new fighter technically be from companies new to Smash, counting Atlus and Enix separately
-would most likely have the final fighter be revealed at a big American-centric event

They’d make a good amount of sense for post-pass, but as #5? Either of them would be an underwhelming way to end off the pass. As seen from... well, being in this thread, I’m in full agreement with the “moveset matters over relevancy” argument, but at the same time I’d personally hope that people that aren’t into JRPGs or more traditional fighting games at least get something else out of this pass besides Banjo.
This video practically sums up why an additional JRPG character isn't as bad as it seems https://youtu.be/j8fOy8LYaEU and as for them being disappointing Nintendo were the ones who influenced Sakurai to put in Corrine and did go negotiate to get Bayonetta despite that she probably didn't win what she was said to win. This is further proven by the reactions to both. As Nintendo were quite responsible for Corrin and to a lesser extent Bayonetta (potentially not influencing Sakurai to wait for the real winner as they may have been first party and easier to access) then there is a decent chance that it's just be a Bamco rep. All of this is my speculation obviously no one will hopefully take it too seriously. And the whole different companies thing if I'm being completely honest makes no sense. I doubt Nintendo said "In order to strengthen our bond with the Enix of Square Enix we will go get a dragon quest character and act as if Enix isn't Square Enix even though Enix hasn't been singular for nearly 20 years". Setting confines for a company is alright but setting them for a particular side of a company that you have already worked with who was merged a long time prior is pretty silly if they did do that. Nintendo most likely views Square and Enix as the same company so I think Hero doesn't help any theory concerning what has been spoken about

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
What do you guys think is more likely?
A) Nintendo bought the rights of Super Mario RPG and that's why Geno can finally be a fighter
or B) Square Enix finally decided to put aside his negligence and did business with Nintendo
(Sakurai I swear to God, you better put the Goose in the game because I want to honk Mario to oblivion)
I think B is a lot more likely.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I think people are getting their hopes weirdly up for #5. I've been looking around various sites and here and have seen absolutely sky high expectations so I figured I'd say something. Yes, it is the end of the pass but if people are expecting a reveal as big or bigger than Banjo, you're going to be disappointed. I used to disagree with this but, yeah, Nintendo's not exactly super great with final reveals for Smash games with the most hype final reveal being Ness for the original twenty years ago.

Melee: Game and Watch

Brawl: Olimar and Sheik (base roster), ROB (final)

Smash 4: Duck Hunt and Bowser Jr (base), Bayonetta and Corrin (DLC)

Ultimate: Ken and Inceniroar (base)

It's not hard to name bigger characters for all these games. Mewtwo for Melee, Sonic for Brawl, Little Mac, Palutena, and Cloud for Smash 4, and K. Rool, Banjo, and Ridley for Ultimate. That said, this is why I've been banging the drum (and then yer mum) for post pass because it seems like a hard steer back to big fan favorites based on what I know. I still think #5 will make people happy but to the same effect as Hero and Terry, not Banjo.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion

You do understand none of these points matter right? If anything the first two show genre clearly doesn't matter and helps illuminate why they are front runners

Akg0001

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Akin01
I think people are getting their hopes weirdly up for #5. I've been looking around various sites and here and have seen absolutely sky high expectations so I figured I'd say something. Yes, it is the end of the pass but if people are expecting a reveal as big or bigger than Banjo, you're going to be disappointed. I used to disagree with this but, yeah, Nintendo's not exactly super great with final reveals for Smash games with the most hype final reveal being Ness for the original twenty years ago.

It's not hard to name bigger characters for all these games. Mewtwo for Melee, Sonic for Brawl, Little Mac, Palutena, and Cloud for Smash 4, and K. Rool, Banjo, and Ridley for Ultimate. That said, this is why I've been banging the drum (and then yer mum) for post pass because it seems like a hard steer back to big fan favorites based on what I know. I still think #5 will make people happy but to the same effect as Hero and Terry, not Banjo.
This sound like Lloyd to me

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman

Aight so essentially Professor Layton is in according to you :4pacman:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings

Completely shocking... okay not that shocking.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm mostly saying this because, especially in the PapaGenos Discord, there seems to be this wide spread idea that #5 absolutely has to be a character so amazing and awe inspiring that everyone who sees the trailer will violently **** their pants and cry uncontrollably from the sheer majesty of it but, not to knock the potential candidates for #5 because I think they're all great, Nintendo has never saved the best for last.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045

Gotcha, so not a crazy world ending reveal like Master Chief or a Sony rep. So a Namco rep and then we move onto post pass. Do we think they’ll do another Fighters pass with every newcomer getting a stage, music, and spirits, or will we get some like with Corrin where they just add music? For example, I’d love to get a SMRPG stage of any variety but I could totally see them just adding some music

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Hmm... A reveal more like :ulthero: and :ult_terry:and less like :ultjoker: and :ultbanjokazooie: you say?

I think I got someone in my eyes honestly... A lot seems to be adding up...
1573479967508.png

JarBear

It's not Tuesday John
I'm mostly saying this because, especially in the PapaGenos Discord, there seems to be this wide spread idea that #5 absolutely has to be a character so amazing and awe inspiring that everyone who sees the trailer will violently **** their pants and cry uncontrollably from the sheer majesty of it but, not to knock the potential candidates for #5 because I think they're all great, Nintendo has never saved the best for last.
It must be there style. If they were a like a RPG, you fight a really cool, well designed and interesting boss fight ... but after words, to beat the game you simply defeat a low level minion.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
This video practically sums up why an additional JRPG character isn't as bad as it seems https://youtu.be/j8fOy8LYaEU and as for them being disappointing Nintendo were the ones who influenced Sakurai to put in Corrine and did go negotiate to get Bayonetta despite that she probably didn't win what she was said to win. This is further proven by the reactions to both. As Nintendo were quite responsible for Corrin and to a lesser extent Bayonetta (potentially not influencing Sakurai to wait for the real winner as they may have been first party and easier to access) then there is a decent chance that it's just be a Bamco rep. All of this is my speculation obviously no one will hopefully take it too seriously
I don’t have time to watch that video, but I know of the uploader’s work and I’m... not exactly a fan. If it’s talking about Tales’ big history in Japan, we already went over this in the pass with DQ. It it’s saying that we need more JRPG reps in Smash, then I’d say that’s a fair point(since there’s only a handful of them when not counting Pokemon or FE), but I’d argue that a paid-in-advance pass isn’t exactly the best method to dump a bunch more. If it’s something else, just let me know here.

Also, I’m sort of confused about your point about Bayonetta. Bayonetta, while not exactly being Cloud-level, was pretty well-received as a general announcement, from what I remember. (Corrin, though, had a bunch of in my opinion well-deserved “shill pick” claims)

All the stuff about her being OP and her win itself potentially not actually being legitimate all happened after she released, and I wasn’t really on these boards back then so I don’t know how some of the more dedicated users might’ve felt during her reveal. But at the time, I remember it being pretty hype overall, largely because no one thought a character like her could ever make it in due to content reasons.

You do understand none of these points matter right? If anything the first two show genre clearly doesn't matter and helps illuminate why they are front runners
The issue with that is, this is a heavily-advertised pass that you can pay for upfront. If it wasn’t, sure, genre bindings are off, anything goes.

But generally when you pay for a blind thing like this upfront, there’s the expectation that it won’t solely cater to one or two audiences. Having three separate anime blade-wielders or two buff men with weird attack inputs would be... a bit weird, I’d think.

And yes, I see the Fatman posts saying to lower our expectations. Even with those, I’m sticking to my guns here and saying that the pass most likely won’t have a third JRPG or second fighting game rep, it’ll be from a different genre. If it turns out I’m wrong, well... I’ll just be quite disappointed with Nintendo and hope the post-pass fares better.

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord

It's one of the things Smash has been constant on since day 1. Their reveals go out in a fizzle. Yes, those characters have hype and fans, but no where even close to the characters that came out first or in the middle of the development cycle.

Brawl is a perfect example: Snake at the start, Sonic in the middle, ending with ROB (and the 3rd set of clones).

Character 5 was never, EVER going to meet overhyped fan expectations outside of a very few exceptions like Master Chief. And it would have been worse if the DLC was still going to originally end at 5. Nintendo has a horrible habit of dehyping fans with end reveals. They go out with a whimper, not a bang. 'Here's some popular veterans! Now have Ryu from Street Fighter! Try out CLOUD STRIFE of all people!! AND...finally....enjoyyyyyyyy......another FE character whose game didn't release for the majority of the planet at the time and a controversial ballot winner with more questions than answers....

........pray for Smash Ultimate!!'

They done with with every roster showcase, TWICE with Smash 4. Lowering hype isn't being pessimistic or defeatist; its following the pattern and being prepared.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Hmm... A reveal more like :ulthero: and :ult_terry:and less like :ultjoker: and :ultbanjokazooie: you say?

View attachment 246152
Y’know I always thought Arle was a weird request but the idea just popped into my head of a moveset revolving around leaving Puyos on the stage and when you connect four or more they like explode or something and now I’m 100% on board. I don’t know how likely she is but I’m down with the idea.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
It must be there style. If they were a like a RPG, you fight a really cool, well designed and interesting boss fight ... but after words, to beat the game you simply defeat a low level minion.
End reveals are essentially post-Final boss character fights. They don't have the same impact compared to what came before the final boss, but are there to either bring closure to the story, tie up loose ends, for giggles or go all Gilligan's Island ('and the rest!') Imagine if after facing Champion Blue in the original Pokemon that your actual last fight in game was against Joey and his Ratatatatata. It would deflate the 'wow' factor.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
The issue with that is, this is a heavily-advertised pass that you can pay for upfront. If it wasn’t, sure, genre bindings are off, anything goes.

But generally when you pay for a blind thing like this upfront, there’s the expectation that it won’t solely cater to one or two audiences. Having three separate anime blade-wielders or two buff men with weird attack inputs would be... a bit weird, I’d think.

And yes, I see the Fatman posts saying to lower our expectations. Even with those, I’m sticking to my guns here and saying that the pass most likely won’t have a third JRPG or second fighting game rep, it’ll be from a different genre. If it turns out I’m wrong, well... I’ll just be quite disappointed with Nintendo and hope the post-pass fares better.
I mean people said the exact same thing about Hero after we already got Joker. The fact we got two from the same genre back to back already makes any idea of exclusion based on genre silly. You can say that because we pay up front it might be weird but at the same time you were warned if you weren't confident to buy as they came out. There's a very high chance you're wrong because again none of the points you made as to why 5 wouldn't be Llyod or Heihachi mean anything except to you and you aren't the dev team. And even if we do get a new genre in there it still wouldn't have anything to do with your reasons.

Last edited:

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline

View attachment 246152
This reminds me of my favorite Dr. Seuss story: Horton hears a literal who.
I'm kidding, I know who arle is, but now I need to make a Photoshop of that title

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
It's one of the things Smash has been constant on since day 1. Their reveals go out in a fizzle. Yes, those characters have hype and fans, but no where even close to the characters that came out first or in the middle of the development cycle.

Brawl is a perfect example: Snake at the start, Sonic in the middle, ending with ROB (and the 3rd set of clones).

Character 5 was never, EVER going to meet overhyped fan expectations outside of a very few exceptions like Master Chief. And it would have been worse if the DLC was still going to originally end at 5. Nintendo has a horrible habit of dehyping fans with end reveals. They go out with a whimper, not a bang. 'Here's some popular veterans! Now have Ryu from Street Fighter! Try out CLOUD STRIFE of all people!! AND...finally....enjoyyyyyyyy......another FE character whose game didn't release for the majority of the planet at the time and a controversial ballot winner with more questions than answers....

........pray for Smash Ultimate!!'

They done with with every roster showcase, TWICE with Smash 4. Lowering hype isn't being pessimistic or defeatist; its following the pattern and being prepared.
EXACTLY! I also came out and said this because I've noticed some people being weirdly mean about it and hardcore dumping on people's suggestions because they're expecting a AAA character to finish the pass. "B-But, Joker!" Let's be real... Joker rarely cracked top 25 in major Smash polls and yet a lot of people still lost their minds when they were revealed which still made him a good VGA reveal. Somebody doesn't have to a Lovecraftian insanity causing character like Master Chief or Big Smoke to be a good reveal so people really should be nicer to people suggesting things that are more niche in comparison.

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
The thing is, Persona 5 and Dragon Quest are absolutely fondamentaly widely different from one another despite being Jrpgs.
One heavily focuses on the social aspect and being a new type of rpg, while the other is a legacy franchise with a hardcore rpg setting from the beginning of the genre.
I'd go as far as to say both Joker and Hero are not just 2 jrpgs characters back to back, but more a "new rpg" and "old rpg".
Both Lloyd and Heihachi come from franchises that, fondamentaly, are just "jrpg" and "fighting game" without much differences compared to the others.
I'm not saying they aren't unique, they definitely have their own charm and mecanics, but I don't think we need them, being relevant or iconic isn't enough anymore...

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Dark Souls or Monster Hunter would be sublime. 2 of my favorite franchises behind smash so im pretty biased, but lets see what they throw at us. Im expecting a smaller name tbh.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Joker was only notable to people because he was unexpected. Even back then we were still looking at Square's the first DLC from Verge and trying to figure out any other big names possible. Joker was so niche in comparison and seem as so unlikely that even the few people who did want him weren't usually thinking he would happen. He just blindsided us all and it was interesting and exciting. If it wasn't for that he would have also met a lukewarm reaction.

The thing is, Persona 5 and Dragon Quest are absolutely fondamentaly widely different from one another despite being Jrpgs.
One heavily focuses on the social aspect and being a new type of rpg, while the other is a legacy franchise with a hardcore rpg setting from the beginning of the genre.
I'd go as far as to say both Joker and Hero are not just 2 jrpgs characters back to back, but more a "new rpg" and "old rpg".
Both Lloyd and Heihachi come from franchises that, fondamentaly, are just "jrpg" and "fighting game" without much differences compared to the others.
I'm not saying they aren't unique, they definitely have their own charm and mecanics, but I don't think we need them, being relevant or iconic isn't enough anymore...
Really? You're argument is that they are different in the sense that Joker is new and DQ is old? Ok. Well in that case Llyod is from a very legendary ARPG series and Heihachi is from a 3D fighting game so they are both completely new and completely different from anything we've had before.
At the end of the day what mattered for Persona and DQ is both series had their own distinct feel which both Tales and Tekken have so trying to claim things like already having RPG characters or already having fighting game characters isn't a thing that matters.

Last edited:

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
EXACTLY! I also came out and said this because I've noticed some people being weirdly mean about it and hardcore dumping on people's suggestions because they're expecting a AAA character to finish the pass. "B-But, Joker!" Let's be real... Joker rarely cracked top 25 in major Smash polls and yet a lot of people still lost their minds when they were revealed which still made him a good VGA reveal. Somebody doesn't have to a Lovecraftian insanity causing character like Master Chief or Big Smoke to be a good reveal so people really should be nicer to people suggesting things that are more niche in comparison.
So big smoke is deconfirmed? What a bummer.. Oh well, at least fp5 is guaranteed to be guybrush threepwood

Last edited:

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
It’s so true. Honestly, every time a leak came through for a smash game that was legit and the final roster, I never wanted to believe it solely because the newcomers we hadn’t seen were so underwhelming

- in Brawl I didn’t believe “The 35 roster” because it had a lukewarm finish with ROB and Wolf which didn’t come anywhere near the hype of most of the other newcomers at the time. Plus that was my first rodeo in the character speculation scene.

- ESRB leak for smash 4 I didn’t want to believe because of Dark Pit, Bowser Jr, etc despite the overwhelming evidence. This one was mostly just denial for me because I hated it so much at the time (I ****ing love Duck Hunt now). Also, the final smash 4 direct that revealed Corrin and Bayonetta as the final characters was maybe the most disappointing Smash presentation of all time for me. I was so excited to see the ballot results going into that direct but they were clearly holding off on the good additions for Ultimate.

- and for Ultimate’s base roster I was thinking Vergeben was a fraud because there was no way in hell that Nintendo would end with just Ken and Incineroar after starting off with Ridley and K Rool. This is a big reason I fell for the Grinch leak at the time too. I wanted to believe Nintendo finally learned from their past mistakes and wanted to end with a huge bang after setting the bar so high

I won’t be fooled again. Number 5 is going to generate an “Oh. Okay.” reaction from most of the fanbase who actually cares about specific character reveals.

After 5 though, hoo boy. That’s where it really seems like they are doing content solely for the fans. Which makes sense, because the dedicated smash fans are the ones still playing at that point for the most part so that’s great marketing.

AdamBel731

Smash Ace
As much as I’d love Katamari representation in Smash, I really do think it would go against the nature of the game.
I know, Villager but the original Katamari Damacy is an art game and I know the original creator hasn’t been happy with the way the characters have been used after his departure from the series.
I don’t wanna see the Prince beat people up :’<
Theres incredible stage potential there tho
Yeah, that is certainly true. I do remember that the creator doesn't really like the idea Katamari being more than its intial game (he barely did the sequel). And I could definitely see him being against The Prince fighting.

Again, I definitely don't expect that at all, which is why it is my pie in the sky desire. It isn't something I hope for because I know it isn't realistic. And as I've said before, The Prince would probably work better as an Assist Trophy (I wonder how many people would actually say that about characters that want).

Ovaltine

Smash Master

View attachment 246152
Arle would be such a great addition. I freaking love Puyo. It'd also mean CARBUNCLE APPEARANCE OF SOME KIND! :drflip: CARBUNCLEEE!

(Welcome to the Geno thread, btw, however temporarily it'll be. I know you're not a supporter of Geno, after all, but it's nice to see you regardless!)

EDIT: https://japanesenintendo.com/2019/11/11/fighter-pass-making-huge-contribution-to-digital-sales/ By the way, some nice prospects for Ultimate's DLC sales!

Last edited:

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
I don’t have time to watch that video, but I know of the uploader’s work and I’m... not exactly a fan. If it’s talking about Tales’ big history in Japan, we already went over this in the pass with DQ. It it’s saying that we need more JRPG reps in Smash, then I’d say that’s a fair point(since there’s only a handful of them when not counting Pokemon or FE), but I’d argue that a paid-in-advance pass isn’t exactly the best method to dump a bunch more. If it’s something else, just let me know here.

Also, I’m sort of confused about your point about Bayonetta. Bayonetta, while not exactly being Cloud-level, was pretty well-received as a general announcement, from what I remember. (Corrin, though, had a bunch of in my opinion well-deserved “shill pick” claims)

All the stuff about her being OP and her win itself potentially not actually being legitimate all happened after she released, and I wasn’t really on these boards back then so I don’t know how some of the more dedicated users might’ve felt during her reveal. But at the time, I remember it being pretty hype overall, largely because no one thought a character like her could ever make it in due to content reasons.

They went over several points as to why additional JRPG characters such as Lloyd are still perfectly viable Smash Ultimate DLC candidates despite us already having joker and Hero. Lloyd is completely viable even at the VGAs imo as Corrin and Bayonetta who were both pretty meh who Nintendo were heavily involved in the decision which suggests that Nintendo may only attempt to make 5 hype inducing but not guarantee

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I'm betting character 5 is not a disappointment based on their own merit; they would probably be a happy addition. They'll be seen as a disappointment as a finale character. But that was to be the fate of most character 5s outside of a very few exceptions.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
I'm betting character 5 is not a disappointment based on their own merit; they would probably be a happy addition. They'll be seen as a disappointment as a finale character. But that was to be the fate of most character 5s outside of a very few exceptions.
Although I do think 5 may and should be hype inducing I think a character like Lloyd still has the same shot as he did prior which was a high one regardless. A Sony rep is probably he most hype inducing character with a shot that can be announced at the VGAs but Bamco is just more realistic and by extension Lloyd.

D

Deleted member

You know, I hate to have spent quite a bit of time at his throat over this concept just to end up agreeing with EricTheGamerman EricTheGamerman (at least, partially) about the Smash bubble. It kind of feels like a reveal is only "hype" if it falls somewhere in line with what Smash fans are expecting to have happened - a requested character finally makes it, a popular character from a game released between Smash games makes it in, or (shamefully) another waifu is added to the roster. Joker literally only generated this kind of hype because he opened the pass in the most unexpected way possible, and with a really well done reveal to have been a last minute decision. Otherwise, only Banjo has generated true hype among the Smash fans in the west. People like ROB, Shulk, and Duck Hunt weren't disappointing reveals to me in any capacity aside from "they're not Geno", and that's a bit of an unfair metric.

Personally, I wouldn't be hyped for Master Cheif at all. and I don't even know who Big Smoke is. I'm sure the implications of someone like Master Chief coming along would be huge, but, to steal a line from Doom Guy detractors, he's actually just green Samus. Despite how likely it's looking, I'm not necessarily hype for a potential Dark Souls rep, either... But Solaire does definitely have orange on him and therefore completes color theory. A friend of mine would be hyped up, so that'll be fun... If Bamco's getting another character, I'd really love it to be Klonoa, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom