• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
And then magically a day or so before the reveal Vergeben popped up to say he was """99% sure about Banjo""" still covering his *** in case it didn't pan out which likely was all just backpedaling from going in on Steve for months..
Man, why do people keep getting this wrong? Vergeben has never backed up Steve in any capacity. In fact, whenever he was asked on the subject, he said he couldn't claim that he would be a character.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Man, why do people keep getting this wrong? Vergeben has never backed up Steve in any capacity. In fact, whenever he was asked on the subject, he said he couldn't claim that he would be a character.
Yes, but he WAS 100% behind Minecraft content and 100% against Geno.

There is no Geno rumor. Just hopeful buzz.
Huh, it's almost like 'buzz' is people talking about something, regardless of it's validity.

A rumor COULD be part of the buzz.

No offense, just pointing it out, since you are yet another Debby Downer that just happened to hop in recently and start being down about are hype.

helloiamhere

Smash Journeyman
He was one of thousands upon thousands making smash leaks. He could have just happened to be the one the inevitably got something right. Then he only said Erdrick after everyone was saying it and he got all the details wrong. He only has one leak to his name. I'm convinced Tansut just got lucky.
Tansut was saying 'Erdrick' since December, and was the only one saying him at the time (back then we only had Vergeben and his vague 'Square rep is fighter pass 1' thing). It's the other way around; every fake leak under the sun had Erdrick in it because the only guy who leaked cloud said it was him.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Tansut was saying 'Erdrick' since December, and was the only one saying him at the time (back then we only had Vergeben and his vague 'Square rep is fighter pass 1' thing. It's the other way around; every fake leak under the sun had Erdrick in it because the only guy who leaked cloud said it was him.
And to think Tansuit got it all wrong anyway because Erdrick was just a mii costume. :4pacman:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Ah, the usual then. Good to know.

:drsad:
Actually, we have reason to believe he may be revealed in a Direct sometime soon.

Between Jon from GameExplain posting otters and Sabi's original NoA source giving what has been confirmed to be a hint via that image of a Starling, AND the fact that the Geno Mii Costume did not return, we are pretty hyped up right now.

Considering a date reveal for a Smash Direct is not out of the question, AND Nintendo could shake things up and perform an actual character reveal at EVO, and EVO is the perfect time to reveal a fan-favorite pick like Geno...

Like I said, we are pretty excited.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Yes, but he WAS 100% behind Minecraft content and 100% against Geno.
He never talked against any character outside of Isaac (dropped a nuke on that subject a few days before the November Direct) and Sora (insisted he wasn't going to be a character). Sure, what he mentioned about Geno wasn't positive, but it wasn't a straight deconfirmation either.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
He never talked against any character outside of Isaac (dropped a nuke on that subject a few days before the November Direct) and Sora (insisted he wasn't going to be a character). Sure, what he mentioned about Geno wasn't positive, but it wasn't a straight deconfirmation either.
He said that his source told him Geno was leakbait.

Sounds like a deconfirmation to me.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
BBCTB has VRPlant saying that Neopolitan from RWBY, Yumi from Senran Kagura, and Akatsuki from Akatsuki Blitzkamf are coming.
>Yumi
Why am I not surprised. Even the Crimson Squad's spotlight's been stolen by her at this point.

Also, they actually decided to pick a character from an obscure doujin fighter? That's unexpected.

Tansut was saying 'Erdrick' since December, and was the only one saying him at the time (back then we only had Vergeben and his vague 'Square rep is fighter pass 1' thing). It's the other way around; every fake leak under the sun had Erdrick in it because the only guy who leaked cloud said it was him.
When asking his source to make sure, Tansut never got a response. Hilariously, even he wound up being wrong about Erdrick being the base character, as it was Luminary instead.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I missed it because I was out playing Pokemon Go, I caught 4 shiny Ralts, but Janemba was shown!!!

Yes

He was the number 1 DLC I was hoping for since the game was released

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Actually, we have reason to believe he may be revealed in a Direct sometime soon.

Between Jon from GameExplain posting otters and Sabi's original NoA source giving what has been confirmed to be a hint via that image of a Starling, AND the fact that the Geno Mii Costume did not return, we are pretty hyped up right now.

Considering a date reveal for a Smash Direct is not out of the question, AND Nintendo could shake things up and perform an actual character reveal at EVO, and EVO is the perfect time to reveal a fan-favorite pick like Geno...

Like I said, we are pretty excited.
Not sure how I feel about the chances of a Smash direct considering the Hero gameplay was pretty much a direct in everything but name since he wanted to try a new format, but hmm.

...But where the heck do Otters and Sabi come into play and what's a starling/what does that have to do with Geno?

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Not sure how I feel about the chances of a Smash direct considering the Hero gameplay was pretty much a direct in everything but name since he wanted to try a new format, but hmm.

...But where the heck do Otters and Sabi come into play and what's a starling/what does that have to do with Geno?
The otters are something Jon from Gamexplain does whenever a Direct is on the horizon, and the starling was a picture from Sabi's source that he recently doubled down on it on Tuesday claiming it was a hint to something coming soon. Given tomorrow marks exactly 3 weeks since it was posted on July 14, some are interpreting as a potential Smash hint. The source's info has never taken longer than 3 weeks to be confirmed

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
To tell you the gist of it:

-Gamexplain's Jon Cartwright uses otter posts to hide the fact that he's leaking an event that's coming, usually a couple weeks in advance. Except when he just posts for the sake of expressing otter appreciation. So far his source hasn't been exposed.
-Sabi's source posts cryptic clues every so often, either code names or an image. The things he leaks usually happens a few weeks after the fact.

link2702

Smash Champion
Ultimate is the final game tomorrow.

It's 12PM CST, which is my time. It's 10 AM PST and I think 1PM EST.

These times can change though, so check later today to be sure.
Man it’s gonna be really awkward tomorrow if I’m at work and randomly check my phone to see geno got confirmed for smash, it’s what happened with banjo for me as i was heading home from class, at least then i was in my car in the parking lot far away from the building...

...if geno gets in and I’m either on the clock, or at lunch when i see it, gonna have a hard time explaining to co-workers and/or customers why I screamed in excitement at the top of my lungs....

...maybe I should leave my phone at home tomorrow and keep in the dark until I get home...

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
So here’s something I’ve been thinking for a bit now.... you know how Joker has Morgana in his taunts, and Hero has Slime show up for one of his? Well, I’ve been thinking, and I’m kind of hoping that if Geno does join the roster, he has something similar with Mallow so that they both end up getting some kind of representation. Hell, Mallow could even show up in Geno’s Final Smash, and they could perform a cinematic combination of Star Rain and Geno Flash. Mallow could even join Geno on the victory screen like Chrom does for Robin! Any combination of those things would make me happier than just having Geno alone. Could you imagine seeing Geno do a Mallow taunt in his trailer with Mario, Peach, and Bowser there? I would die!

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
You know, all this talk about leaks makes me think on some fake 4chan leak that claimed all the announcements, including Geno being some kind of bonus character, but got debunked quickly because of its details regarding SFV (said Honda, Sodom, Viper and a bunch of other characters would be in, but only Honda happened).

AugustusB

Smash Champion

So the big thing that has been consistent is Jon from GameXplain always posts pictures of otters before a Direct. Usually within a week 1/2 to three weeks time. (coming up on three weeks this weekend).
Sabi's NoA source has been known, to the private geno discord, to post picture hints. The first was a blue crab, hinting at Links Awakening (first enemy you see in the game). Next was the Puzzle witch. Sabi laughed at it so they posted a literal bear and bird picture, hinting at Banjo-Kazooie.
Those hints have come to fruition within a week to 3 weeks time.

The Starling picture was posted 3 weeks ago (exactly from tomorrow). No one knows what it could mean, but it is confirmed by the guy to be a hint (and not pertaining to Hero)
So some of us did not know what sort of bird it was until someone went 'Thats a European Starling!'
With how out there this picture is, some of us looked to the bird being the meaning behind the hint. So Starling...Star - ling.

Ling being a diminutive of small or tiny (earthling, youngling, etc). So a tiny star...thats what we got. Kind of looks good without the Mii Costume coming back!

Last edited:

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Jon likely has no inside info on Geno, tbh

Incineroar was only known because lots of E3goers were told he was in by Nintendo reps, according to RogersBase

Also he bought into the 5chan leak which had Steve and not Banjo

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord

Whenever Jon from GameExplain posts otters, it's usually because there is a Nintendo Direct event coming up soon. Usually within 3 weeks of his posting. This so happens to line up with EVO pretty well. I will admit he does post about otters in general because he likes them and to get the Nintendo ninjas off his back, but he's been doing it for a while now that we can usually tell the difference depending on the timing.

Sabi's original NoA source (who has never been wrong) knew about both the Link'a Awakening remake and Banjo-Kazooie in Smash, among other things like Isaac being an AT. Link's Awakening and Banjo-Kazooie were image hints: LA being a blue crab (first enemy you run into) and Banjo-Kazooie being both a "Witch Puzzle" image and an image with a bear and a bird in the same image.

This is a picture of a starling, which is a type of bird. Starling, which is a race of star people in the Mario & Luigi games, could be a hint towards Geno without being a direct hint. It could be one of many things, but this is what we linked it to.

EDIT: Sniped by ma boi AugustusB AugustusB

Last edited:

wynn728

Banned via Warnings
He was one of thousands upon thousands making smash leaks. He could have just happened to be the one the inevitably got something right. Then he only said Erdrick after everyone was saying it and he got all the details wrong. He only has one leak to his name. I'm convinced Tansut just got lucky.
Considering that during that Smash Bros reveal Sakura stated that the DQ3 Hero isn't named Erdrick kind of shoots a lot of the Erdrick stuff, but they're in so it doesn't matter. Brave being the datamine name was a dead give away, makes me wonder why they called Joker Jack but kept Brave the same.

Jon likely has no inside info on Geno, tbh

Incineroar was only known because lots of E3goers were told he was in by Nintendo reps, according to RogersBase

Also he bought into the 5chan leak which had Steve and not Banjo
People keep forgetting that.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
So the big thing that has been consistent is Jon from GameXplain always posts pictures of otters before a Direct. Usually within a week 1/2 to three weeks time. (coming up on three weeks this weekend).
Sabi's NoA source has been known, to the private geno discord, to post picture hints. The first was a blue crab, hinting at Links Awakening (first enemy you see in the game). Next was the Puzzle witch. Sabi laughed at it so they posted a literal bear and bird picture, hinting at Banjo-Kazooie.
Those hints have come to fruition within a week to 3 weeks time.

The Starling picture was posted 3 weeks ago (exactly from tomorrow). No one knows what it could mean, but it is confirmed by the guy to be a hint (and not pertaining to Hero)
So some of us did not know what sort of bird it was until someone went 'Thats a European Starling!'
With how out there this picture is, some of us looked to the bird being the meaning behind the hint. So Starling...Star - ling.

Ling being a diminutive of small or tiny (earthling, youngling, etc). So a tiny star...thats what we got. Kind of looks good without the Mii Costume coming back!
Ahhhhhhhh, that makes MUCH more sense now, thanks. I'll remain very, VERY cautiously optimistic, but... Y'know. Not much longer until we find out.

Last edited:

MisterMike

Smash Champion
So here’s something I’ve been thinking for a bit now.... you know how Joker has Morgana in his taunts, and Hero has Slime show up for one of his? Well, I’ve been thinking, and I’m kind of hoping that if Geno does join the roster, he has something similar with Mallow so that they both end up getting some kind of representation. Hell, Mallow could even show up in Geno’s Final Smash, and they could perform a cinematic combination of Star Rain and Geno Flash. Mallow could even join Geno on the victory screen like Chrom does for Robin! Any combination of those things would make me happier than just having Geno alone. Could you imagine seeing Geno do a Mallow taunt in his trailer with Mario, Peach, and Bowser there? I would die!
I suggested this earlier in this thread, but I think Mallow would work well as part of Geno's grabs, acting as a sort of tether grab akin to Lucas' Rope Snake.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Considering that during that Smash Bros reveal Sakura stated that the DQ3 Hero isn't named Erdrick kind of shoots a lot of the Erdrick stuff, but they're in so it doesn't matter. Brave being the datamine name was a dead give away, makes me wonder why they called Joker Jack but kept Brave the same.
Tbh I'm a little confused about his Erdrick comment. The DQ3 hero absolutely IS Erdrick ( or Roto in Japan ), it's a title he earns at the end of the game, and the DQ1 hero absolutely ISNT Erdrick, Erdrick is a legendary figure that has long passed away in DQ1. The big twist of DQ3 is that it's a prequel to DQ1. Anyone who played the original trilogy ( or just 1 and 3 since 2 adds nothing to the lore and is not great anyway ) could tell you this.

So I'm completely flabbergasted here regarding the names chosen for the DQ3 protagonist and the DQ1 mii costumes.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
The best one I caught is a 2 star. Nothing good. Though I do have one that has good attack and max HP but NO defense at all. 0 def IV's
But my only goal in Pokemon GO was to get a shiny Gardevoir so I literally poured all my Candy into her regardless of her powerlevel.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Tbh I'm a little confused about his Erdrick comment. The DQ3 hero absolutely IS Erdrick ( or Roto in Japan ), it's a title he earns at the end of the game, and the DQ1 hero absolutely ISNT Erdrick, Erdrick is a legendary figure that has long passed away in DQ1. The big twist of DQ3 is that it's a prequel to DQ1.

So I'm completely flabbergasted here regarding the names chosen for the DQ3 protagonist and the DQ1 mii costumes.
His name isn't Erdrick, it's his title. The DQ1 endgame set is called Erdrick's Armour/Sword/Shield and that's what the Mii costume is based on. It's kind of like how Skeleton Link in TP isn't called Link but he's called the Hero's Shade. It wouldn't really make much sense to call Young Link "Hero's Shade" but you could feasibly make a Mii costume with that name.

MondoMega

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 5702 4282 1237
Tbh I'm a little confused about his Erdrick comment. The DQ3 hero absolutely IS Erdrick ( or Roto in Japan ), it's a title he earns at the end of the game, and the DQ1 hero absolutely ISNT Erdrick, Erdrick is a legendary figure that has long passed away in DQ1. The big twist of DQ3 is that it's a prequel to DQ1. Anyone who played the original trilogy ( or just 1 and 3 since 2 adds nothing to the lore and is not great anyway ) could tell you this.

The armor that the DQ1 Hero wears is called 'Erdrick's Armour', hence the Mii Costume name.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
So, anyone got a good guess for what the Starling could be aside from a Geno reveal? Because i’m actually drawing a blank. Maybe a new Pokemon, but that’s very very lame if true.

MomijiInubashiri630

Smash Apprentice
So, anyone got a good guess for what the Starling could be aside from a Geno reveal? Because i’m actually drawing a blank. Maybe a new Pokemon, but that’s very very lame if true.
I know half of the group like Fatman said believes/guesses in Pokemon, but I really don't even know if that's really a option anymore. EVO Finals are tomorrow, perfect time to reveal something at EVO, and if it were Pokemon related it would be revealed like by now tbh. I would be surprised if nothing tommorow, this would be the longest one of his hints have lasted

Last edited:

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
I've heard some people guessing edelgard because it's a bird on a house therefore the black eagles, but I don't buy it personally.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
In no particular order
Three House rep
Pokemon rep
Pokken 2
New IP

Last edited:

QQS

Smash Lord
“Mino” is a “genus” of mynas, birds in the “starling” family. These are the largest of the starlings, and are found in tropical moist lowland “forests” in Papua New Guinea and neighbouring islands.

Last edited:

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
“Mino” is a “genus” of mynas, birds in the “starling” family. These are the largest of the starlings, and are found in tropical moist lowland “forests” in Papua New Guinea and neighbouring islands.

Could this key-words be related and support the theory of Geno as the starling?

Been reading this forum for a while and I’m a big Geno fan since ancient times. I’m totally confident that tomorrow is our Star Boy chance to join the battle after 23 years, finally.
Boy that is stretching, but I would love for it to be true

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Geno's Final Smash: Star Flash :2gud:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
What would a Smash Direct even entail? I mean sure they could reveal a character along with Home-Run Contest but I don't see that being likely given we just had 4.0. Not to mention these new modes are held off for character releases and I can't see Geno (or anyone else) dropping before Banjo releases.

This is basically why I think any kind of announcement tomorrow would be a standalone trailer ala Smash 4 Robin.

Last edited:

Icewolff92

Smash Champion

Could this key-words be related and support the theory of Geno as the starling?

Been reading this forum for a while and I’m a big Geno fan since ancient times. I’m totally confident that tomorrow is our Star Boy chance to join the battle after 23 years, finally.
While the starling could be Geno, this is just stretching it. The source has posted pics that you don't have ro dive deep an hour or two on the Internet for

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
While the starling could be Geno, this is just stretching it. The source has posted pics that you don't have ro dive deep an hour or two on the Internet for
This is coming from the person trying to link it to Fire Emblem via a bunch of fake mumbo jumbo written by conspiracy theorists.

He's in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom