• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Geno (♥♪!?): Return of the Starsend Savior

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoinedLuck

Smash Cadet
I'm starting to feel more and more that Geno has really good chances at this point. Not gonna keep my expectations too high, but it all looks promising. It wouldn't make sense for Sakurai to include an SE rep that isn't Geno, or in other words, isn't one of the most requested characters in all of Smash history. He wants him in the game, he has control, and he's just next on the list of the most popular characters to include, after Ridley and King K. Rool. On top of that, Geno is in a Mario game, and this is a fighting game about Nintendo icons, after all. He can be considered a character "that you would not anticipate to be in Smash Bros." Especially to the general public, who would just see Geno as an obscure character that only appeared in a single Mario game, nothing they would expect to see in Smash.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I feel people are really sleeping on the lack of SMRPG content in the game. We have two Spirits of characters from the game, but other than that... nothing. Not even a single musical reference when the composer's already on the music team. I really can't help but feel like they're holding out for something there. I'll have to bring it up in the Seven Squares thread, as it's a talking point I really don't think is being discussed as much as it should.

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
I feel people are really sleeping on the lack of SMRPG content in the game. We have two Spirits of characters from the game, but other than that... nothing. Not even a single musical reference when the composer's already on the music team. I really can't help but feel like they're holding out for something there. I'll have to bring it up in the Seven Squares thread, as it's a talking point I really don't think is being discussed as much as it should.
Not even that unused Forest Maze remix from Brawl.

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
If we get a Square Enix rep that is not Geno and his Mii Costume returns, it's going to be the biggest outcry of fans in Smash history. It hurt the first time, and I think I can speak for all the other Geno fans out there that nobody is willing to take a Mii Costume again. Smash Ultimate may be his last chance at being playable in a Smash Bros. game, let alone other titles.
I was happy about the Mii costume, and Geno showing up in general, but this time I will definitely be heartbroken if the Geno Mii costume returns.

I have the slightest feeling if Geno does get in as the Square DLC character, they'll include Crono, Sephiroth, Black Mage, or Erdrick as a Mii costume.
Mallow as an assist trophy would be nice, or even better, be a part of Geno's final smash. A Mii costume + assist trophy with the DLC fighter packs would be very neat, so I'd be happy to see Persona get a Mii costume and an assist trophy as well.
Well, hey, I’ve been lurking in this support thread for months now, reading 100+ pages of why one of my most wanted fighters still has an excellent chance at DLC, and just general love and support for the character.

But with recent insider revelations, I think we might be at an all-time low.

I was gonna post this drawing once I’ve finished the whole thing, but hey,

Let this happy marching Geno MS paint sketch give us some hope.

Awesome drawing of Geno, flois! Also... watch where you're pointing that gun, sir, because I'm allergic to peanuts.

flois

Smash Rookie
Awesome drawing of Geno, flois!
Thanks! Actually just recently finished my first playthrough of SMRPG, so to anybody in the thread, feel free to throw me some suggestions of Geno/SMRPG art.

watch where you're pointing that gun, sir, because I'm allergic to peanuts.
Well you're in luck, m'friend, cause this one happens to be a coconut gun lol

D

Deleted member

That was a fan mix that people, for some reason or another, thought was actually in the game.
An inaccessible music file was found in Brawl named "forest_maze" in the Mario section or something along those lines, IRC. so the concept is probably true, but the remix is fan-made

Dynamic Worlok

Shunted into the bad timeline
An inaccessible music file was found in Brawl named "forest_maze" in the Mario section or something along those lines, IRC. so the concept is probably true, but the remix is fan-made
It could just as easily refer to the forest maze that was very real and present in the subspace emmisary

Sovereign Trinity

Smash Ace
Nah, it's Forest Maze from SMRPG
Because of its placement in chronological order of the Mario soundtracks, many believe the song was supposed to be the Toadwood Forest from Partners in Time. Honestly, we'll never know. It could've been Beware the Forest's Mushrooms, but as I said before, we'll never know.

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Thanks! Actually just recently finished my first playthrough of SMRPG, so to anybody in the thread, feel free to throw me some suggestions of Geno/SMRPG art.
I think a picture of Geno performing a perfect Geno Whirl on Exor would be really cool. Either that or Booster being fed his monstrous wedding cake by the snifits because that scene was ridiculous.

Last edited:

flois

Smash Rookie
think a picture of Geno performing a perfect Geno Whirl on Exor would be really cool. Either that or Booster being fed his monstrous wedding cake by the snifits because that scene was ridiculous.
Haha, ignoring the fact I never really succeeded at mastering action commands in the game, I totally dig these ideas, thanks!

I must say, what I really like about this evidence is that it doesn't rely on leaks. This evidence exists within the game. Erdrick's inclusion, on the other hand, predominantly relies on leaks. By no means am I saying there are no credible leaks/ leakers out there, but for every one real we have 100 fake or inaccurate.

Last edited:

MechaFlo

Smash Rookie
I don't see how this is evidence for Geno.

Keep in mind that the two spirits we have are not random monsters or soemthing. They're GENO and MALLOW the two party members.

Also keep in mind a distinct lack of SE content in general. SE has only a handful of spirits. Geno, Mallow, and a couple of Cloud variants etc. Still only TWO music tracks. Not even spirits for the summons that appear on the Midgar stage or party members from FF VII.

I think it's reaching to say that this lack is some kind of void. If it was evidence that Nintendo was holding back because Geno was coming...then why is Geno one of the very few SE spirits added?

I'm sorry but I just don't think he's happeneing. Nintendo is picking the DLC and I don't think they have any desire to pick Geno, or to pay SE licensing fees for anyone that isn't representing a larger series.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I don't see how this is evidence for Geno.

Keep in mind that the two spirits we have are not random monsters or soemthing. They're GENO and MALLOW the two party members.

Also keep in mind a distinct lack of SE content in general. SE has only a handful of spirits. Geno, Mallow, and a couple of Cloud variants etc. Still only TWO music tracks. Not even spirits for the summons that appear on the Midgar stage or party members from FF VII.

I think it's reaching to say that this lack is some kind of void. If it was evidence that Nintendo was holding back because Geno was coming...then why is Geno one of the very few SE spirits added?

I'm sorry but I just don't think he's happeneing. Nintendo is picking the DLC and I don't think they have any desire to pick Geno, or to pay SE licensing fees for anyone that isn't representing a larger series.
I'd be with you there, except they don't have to license SMRPG's music through Square Enix; they'd have to go through Yoko Shimomura, the game's composer, who's already done several remixes for Smash and has shown an eagerness to have her own songs featured and remixed in Smash. (See: all the Street Fighter tracks in Ultimate.) If Geno really wasn't coming, I'd at least expect a straight rip or two from SMRPG as some sort of minimal representation for what's widely regarded as one of the classics of the SNES era. But we don't have that. We don't even have the Mii Costume from last game. We have two recycled renders.
And I think it's foolish to believe that Sakurai had absolutely zero input on who the DLC characters will be. Nintendo has displayed a striking willingness to bend over backwards for this man, and he doesn't even work for them anymore! At the very least, I'm sure he's brought up some of his preferred picks to the higher-ups at Nintendo.

Last edited:

BBQTV

Smash Master
This post was given a trolling infraction
GIVE UP!
Your souless puppet is NEVER EVER gonna be playable

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
GIVE UP!
Your souless puppet is NEVER EVER gonna be playable
That's funny, because last time I checked, people also said Ridley was never ever going to be playable, and yet here we are.

Don't be rude.

It's fine if you don't believe he'll be playable, but don't enter a character's support thread and be unpleasant.

JoyStar

Smash Journeyman
Supposedly Joker because he tweeted "You'll never see it coming" once.

How soon we forget Loz18.
To be fair regarding Loz18... have you seen the Skull Kid Mii costume?

It looks literally exactly like him. If anyone saw an image of that (albeit with the darker Mii skin) they'd think Skull Kid was legitimately playable. (Heck, I pretty much see it as "Skull Kid post-Majora's-Mask without specials" for the time being so it's super easy to envision it as Skull Kid being playable after all)

Last edited:

Bremy

Smash Apprentice
If rumors are correct, so far 3 of the DLC characters would be from fairly niche JRPGs, joker, eddy, and a tales character. Just seems weird to say this is a must have, and 3 of the characters being from series not too popular outside of Japan, let alone 2 of them being sword fighters (which is already a criticism of smash for having too many of them). If it is eddy, I hope they manage to make him interesting at least, but I cant say I know enough about him to be confident he will be.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
You waited 5 years to reply that?
Ouch.
I honestly wonder if it's just dead accounts being hacked by the same person because, when this guy used to post, he primarily talked about One Piece and that was it. Looked at his post history and, in fact, this is literally the first time he's ever posted in a specific character thread.

Last edited:

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
Is it bad that I wasn't fully on board the Geno support train until I saw the sheer negative reactions he invokes in some people?

I mean, I've always liked him well enough after playing Mario RPG, but contrarianism made me give him that closer look where I realized "Oh, he's actually REALLY cool! Arm guns!
". Reveling in the anger that would erupt should he get announced is too good to pass up + we get another cool, fun character in Smash.
Seeing the anger and salt alone based on if he gets revealed would be glorious and would make me laugh because all that time that they spend being angry and bitter is time that could better be spent being happy and playing Smash Ultimate. :p

MattX20

Smash Hero
If rumors are correct, so far 3 of the DLC characters would be from fairly niche JRPGs, joker, eddy, and a tales character. Just seems weird to say this is a must have, and 3 of the characters being from series not too popular outside of Japan, let alone 2 of them being sword fighters (which is already a criticism of smash for having too many of them). If it is eddy, I hope they manage to make him interesting at least, but I cant say I know enough about him to be confident he will be.
I don't believe said rumors about Eddy. Recall that Polar's source made it clear no one knows who the DLC characters are, and we got Joker as proof of that.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
As Olvatine said yesterday, Cringe/BTFO culture is one of the worst things about online communities. That's why I resent Steve because it's largely just morphed into most people supporting the character to spite other fanbases, especially Banjo. Erdrick is slowly turning into this kind of character too because of Sora/Geno, "anime swordsman", "Goku in Smash", etc.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Yikes, guys, sorry for being so pessimistic last night. Not gonna go into detail about my personal life here, but I just had a bad day overall yesterday and it leaked here. I'm still not so sure if I'm liking where Geno is standing right now, but Joker is basically proof that we don't know anything yet and things are tight under wraps. If anything, thinking about it, it makes Erdrick look that much more like leakbait to me. Then again, my expectations are staying very tempered.

My hope is still there. However, I do still think we have to be fighting harder. I still recommend getting your word out to Nintendo and Square. Sora Ltd. and Sakurai are well aware of our outcry, but I think Nintendo and especially Square need more of a push. Remember to emphasize, too, that this is for a Geno revival, even if it can't happen in Smash.

I'm going down with this ship!

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
As Olvatine said yesterday, Cringe/BTFO culture is one of the worst things about online communities. That's why I resent Steve because it's largely just morphed into most people supporting the character to spite other fanbases, especially Banjo. Erdrick is slowly turning into this kind of character too because of Sora/Geno, "anime swordsman", "Goku in Smash", etc.
I see a lot of people supporting him "because he's the most likely" as well. Not to many people tend to stick to their gut and guns anymore. It's like they can't admit they're wrong or something.
I'm going down with this ship!

You and me both Banana Duck friend.

Lightspeed97

Smash Cadet
Honestly, if Geno's not in Smash, we should prod Alpha Dream to remake the game with Square's help seeing how the company was founded by the main development staff of the game anyways.
We should push for that either way, because that would be awesome!

Ovaltine

Smash Master
We should push for that either way, because that would be awesome!
Agreed! Honestly, I think this would personally make me just as happy as an inclusion in Smash, because in the end, we just want our boy to come back. Let's do this thing, y'all.

HolyKnight

Smash Journeyman
I resent steve for multiple reasons, but the really awful supporters he seems to have pretty much sealed it. Erdrick just doesn't matter to me, none of the humans in DQ do, its the monsters I like. And Jade.

However, the lack of western characters in the game at all makes me think we might be save from steve. Plus minecraft has run its course, no one new is buying it, everyone has it already.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I see a lot of people supporting him "because he's the most likely" as well. Not to many people tend to stick to their gut and guns anymore. It's like they can't admit they're wrong or something.

You and me both Banana Duck friend.
People don't like being wrong and will often just subscribe to "safe" choices for the sake of personal damage control. If the odds say one thing is more likely than another, people will often go with that ahead of their own wishes because they see it as a situation where they are less likely to walk away with egg on their face. My bachelor's was in a hard science so I don't see being wrong as the worst thing ever because information changes and new perspectives are found. Being right or wrong can only be readily determined by what is known and what can actually be supported by evidence but, again, there is almost always unknowns.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
People don't like being wrong and will often just subscribe to "safe" choices for the sake of personal damage control. If the odds say one thing is more likely than another, people will often go with that ahead of their own wishes because they see it as a situation where they are less likely to walk away with egg on their face. My bachelor's was in a hard science so I don't see being wrong as the worst thing ever because information changes and new perspectives are found. Being right or wrong can only be readily determined by what is known and what can actually be supported by evidence but, again, there is almost always unknowns.
I mean I'm wrong like half of the time when it comes to smash speculation. I was wrong about Chrom being playable, but I was originally right about Shadow and Shovel Knight being assists.

I swear I'm one of the few I know that has stuck with my Geno and Ninten picks from the beginning and I'm not budging on either until they're either confirmed or btfo'd.

Smady

Smash Master
I wouldn't give up hope, and that one guy is definitely a troll/might have been hacked, but I'm also leaning towards spirits = can't be playable. Geno has one of the flashier spirits in WoL so if I'm wrong, he's not just dead however it's difficult to understand why they'd put him in over a DQ11 advertisement or a bigger icon. I feel like his big shot was the base game.

As is SMRPG got a decent amount of respect in the Mallow spirit and especially the legendary Geno spirit. For a very old game that's never been remade that's decent.

Edit: And I should stress as someone who rooted for K. Rool for all of the Smash 4 DLC and ballot, I feel the pain of not getting your character in. It sucks period. But this is the phase to temper expectations, while not giving up completely. It's turned into something of a long shot for any character in the game in some form.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I wouldn't give up hope, and that one guy is definitely a troll/might have been hacked, but I'm also leaning towards spirits = can't be playable. Geno has one of the flashier spirits in WoL so if I'm wrong, he's not just dead however it's difficult to understand why they'd put him in over a DQ11 advertisement or a bigger icon. I feel like his big shot was the base game.

As is SMRPG got a decent amount of respect in the Mallow spirit and especially the legendary Geno spirit. For a very old game that's never been remade that's decent.

Edit: And I should stress as someone who rooted for K. Rool for all of the Smash 4 DLC and ballot, I feel the pain of not getting your character in. It sucks period. But this is the phase to temper expectations, while not giving up completely. It's turned into something of a long shot for any character in the game in some form.
I'm not in that camp, given that classic Pit from Kid Icarus and other variations of characters got Spirits too. I only consider Mii costumes and ATs hard deconfirmations.

Smady

Smash Master
MattX20 MattX20 That's a fair opinion. From my point of view, if Geno was going to get in, Sakurai would have to be the one fighting for it based on his past statements. I feel like the spirit is a final nail in the coffin of Sakurai realizing it's not going to happen for Ultimate. It may be a hint that Geno was a high priority but in a game of fewer newcomers missed the cut. That's just my impression.

There are some other spirits I feel that way about. When there's no trophies and ATs are planned long in advance, the spirits are really the only way left to credit everything that is in the grey area.

Last edited:

Ovaltine

Smash Master
The thing about spirits that makes me wonder about deconfirmation is that an entirely different team was confirmed to have worked on them. Given the sheer amount of them, it could be that the team assigned to spirits wanted to do something for the fans in case he wasn't chosen for DLC down the line. I can believe the consolation prize thing as a result, but it's really uncertain as to whether or not it'd be a deconfirmation. The fact that some spirits like Ness' dad are legendaries, too, makes me wonder just how much it means in the grand scheme of things.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Yeah, spirits are a gray area because it's literally a JPEG and not exactly something that needed a buttload of manpower and money to make a reality like characters. The fact that there's over a thousand of them largely proves this point.

HolyKnight

Smash Journeyman
The sentence after it where he said "Even if..." sounds hypothetical, but this opening sentence didn't: "Why is the person who told us nobody knows who the DLC is trying to tell us who the DLC is?" I was clarifying that I am not trying to say who is DLC. What I DID say is that Atlus sources are saying the ATLUS part of the 5chan leak is legit, particularly P5R being Switch exclusive. However, I did specify they couldn't confirm the Smash info obviously.

I DID say that it makes Erdrick look a bit more likely when more and more of the leak is turning out to be true, but I want it to be known that it could definitely be fake info thrown in. Can't confirm the Smash stuff.
p5r?
is that a remake of p5?

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
Sometimes I find the YouTube comment section more toxic than GameFAQs, with Twitter coming in second when it comes to a character that anyone wants in the game, especially Geno.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom